User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-27-2019, 12:45 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
University announces the first Roger Brown Residency in Social Justice, Writing and Sport

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...wspaper_email&

Here is an excerpt, but the entire article is well worth the time to read:

In an interview in his St. Mary’s Hall office the other day and in a university press release today, Spina agreed:

“Roger Brown was one of the greatest basketball players ever to attend the University of Dayton and he’s still highly regarded in the Dayton community 22 years after his death, but he has been invisible at the University of Dayton and that is neither right nor just.”

Spina acknowledged the role the school played in Brown’s struggles after his UD ouster and said he “deserved better than to be abandoned by the university. … This residency is intended to be a lasting testament to Mr. Brown’s tenacity, excellence, grace and commitment to doing what is right.“This is going to be a gift that gives for generations. Overall, what I want our students to get from this is an opportunity to understand you can look for injustice anywhere and look for ways to try to right that injustice.”
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (09-27-2019), BOF02 (09-28-2019), cj (09-27-2019), Glen Clark (09-28-2019), Justin (09-27-2019), San Diego Flyer (09-28-2019), Sarge (09-29-2019)
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2019, 01:26 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
First, I have no doubt that he's a hero. He conducted himself better than anyone else on this message board likely would have in the same circumstances.

Second, it's a total crime that he's not more prominently and given his due at UD and at the Arena, as well as the whole Dayton community.

Third, I agree that this is a good way to honor him, you could even go further and make it a good jumping off point for a freshman orientation discussion. While understandable, I trust that Dayton is ashamed that it took this long.

And yet. . . the phrase "social justice" grates at me to the core. It's just "justice." But, life goes on.
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (09-27-2019), BOF02 (09-28-2019), cj (09-27-2019), Jack D (09-29-2019), jack72 (09-27-2019), JimBo (10-01-2019), m21eagle45 (09-27-2019), San Diego Flyer (09-28-2019), Sarge (09-29-2019), UDGutter2 (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 02:37 PM
(Formerly O'Side Flyer)

Brad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
And yet. . . the phrase "social justice" grates at me to the core. It's just "justice." But, life goes on.
Like many others, it's a great phrase that has been co-opted for cynical purposes.
Mad Props to Brad S. For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jack D (09-29-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 10:33 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up It's about time

An outstanding basketball talent and an even better person. Roger would have dazzled the Faithful. But then again my scrapbook and passion only dates back to 1949.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-28-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 08:27 PM
Captain

Don is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
An outstanding basketball talent and an even better person. Roger would have dazzled the Faithful. But then again my scrapbook and passion only dates back to 1949.
Roger DID DAZZLE the faithful. They turned out in droves to watch his freshman team play in the AAU league at the Fairgrounds Coliseum. What a shame it played out the way it did.

There have been SO MANY "what might have beens" over the past 65 seasons of Flyer basketball.

What if Wayne Embry and Charlie Coles had been welcomed by UD
What if Roger had been able to play
What if the 67-68 team hadn't been racked with racial issues
What if Lew Alcindor had been one year younger
What if Bill Chmielewski played all four years
What if Chris Daniels hadn't died
What if Steve McElvene hadn't died
What if.......................................

Now.... What if this year's team is as good as the hype has led many of us to hope for
Mad Props to Don For This Totally Excellent Post:
skip69 (10-02-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 10:14 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Roger DID DAZZLE the faithful. They turned out in droves to watch his freshman team play in the AAU league at the Fairgrounds Coliseum. What a shame it played out the way it did.

There have been SO MANY "what might have beens" over the past 65 seasons of Flyer basketball.

What if Wayne Embry and Charlie Coles had been welcomed by UD
What if Roger had been able to play
What if the 67-68 team hadn't been racked with racial issues
What if Lew Alcindor had been one year younger
What if Bill Chmielewski played all four years
What if Chris Daniels hadn't died
What if Steve McElvene hadn't died
What if.......................................

Now.... What if this year's team is as good as the hype has led many of us to hope for
Don: I almost responded to your blog with a whole bunch of “what if’s”. My mind drifted to about six significant decisions or events that negatively went against Dayton fandom over the years. But, I stopped myself. I have learned in my short life that you must be careful what you wish for.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2019, 06:54 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
You have a few years on me, SDF, as I was born in ‘62, and my memory only goes back to the “woulda, coulda, shoulda” season of 1967-68. Still, for reasons I can only explain through proximity, I used to try to follow the Indiana Pacers and my 2 favorite ABA players, Roger Brown and Mel Daniels. Now I realize that may have been simple Karma drawing me to Roger. Glad that my 2-time Alma Mater (and my wife’s, and my dad’s, and my sister’s, and my Mom’s former employer, and...) is finally giving Roger his just recognition. God love you, Roger Brown! ❤️💙
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2019, 12:54 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Roger, Chemielewski, Roggenburk, and the Hatton's. Real shot at the NC. Two problems, Roger never played varsity, and even if he did, TB would not play in the NCAAs after he got shafted at Illinois in his only appearance in the Dance. Took a change in coaches to play in the Dance. And DD did pretty well in the first three.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:35 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,129 Posts
Bat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond repute
I think this is well over do, as well. However, what is this "Social Justice" crap. UD is getting a little too PC and self righteous, IMHO; drop the dam modifiers and simply do the right thing.
Mad Props to Bat'71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (10-02-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 02:50 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bat'71 View Post
I think this is well over do, as well. However, what is this "Social Justice" crap. UD is getting a little too PC and self righteous, IMHO; drop the dam modifiers and simply do the right thing.
Social Justice is an important part of the Marianist mission. UD's very foundation is the Society of Mary. Nothing self righteous about it.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (10-03-2019), EliteEight (10-03-2019), flyerfanatic86 (10-02-2019), Glen Clark (10-02-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 08:21 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bat'71 View Post
Maybe this thread should come with trigger warnings and recommendations for safe threads for the snowflakes
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (10-04-2019), Glen Clark (10-05-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 12:43 PM
Major General

Bat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond repute
Please define 'Social Justice'... it sounds good, but like much of the Left's propaganda it's a euphemism for re-distributionist policies (of tax payer money NOT THEIR OWN, or in Georgetown's case 'Student funds') , government interference and 'buying the votes" of the less fortunate, while leaving them to wallow in misery and ignorance.

You want real "social justice', give children a school, a learning environment they can feel safe in, give the poor and less fortunate safe neighborhoods, provide useful job training skills and for Gawd's sake, remove the artificial barriers set up decades ago to having two parent households.

"Social Justice' as currently formulated and promulgated is a sham of the first order, proposed by people that in reality don't give rats arse of what the real world impact of their policies might be

Last edited by Bat'71; 10-04-2019 at 12:47 PM..
Mad Props to Bat'71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 05:36 PM
1st Lieutenant

big jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud of
Hahaha yikes. Who would've thought an innocuous term would trigger so many people?

Back on subject, the book Basketball: A Love Story (2018) By Jackie McMullan and Rafe Bartholomew has a whole chapter about how gambling impacted basketball.They talk specifically about Roger Brown and Connie Hawkins. The way those two were treated seems absolutely horrific. Then they were prevented from playing in the NBA, which just added to the injustice

Based off of Brown's professional accomplishments (ABA 3x champ, 4x all star, number retired by the Indiana Pacers), it sounds like he was the most talented basketball player ever to commit to the University of Dayton. But I am not nearly old enough to have seen everyone who came through and make that judgment

The book is worth a read, and makes a great audiobook as it is a "oral history" format and the list of interviewees is vast and impressive. But it is about all of basketball,not just college, so it may not be for everyone on this board
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to big jordan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (10-05-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-04-2019), Radar (10-07-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 05:53 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Have followed the Flyers since '51. As good as many of the former flyers were (and there were some great ones), it was Roger in a class by himself. As was mentioned he and Connie Hawkins were mistreated and UD did absolutely nothing to help Roger. It was a different era. As great as TB was he screwed this one up.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:21 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
We are going to need some Moderator Justice around here soon for all the people seeking Speech Justice who think Roger's Social Justice was denied by University Justice, but they were just looking for Sanctions Justice. But of course the whole thing was prompted by the Money Justice investigation at the . . . Department of Justice (FBI).

I hope Roger is given more Photographic Justice in the new arena. And while we're talking about that, how about some Beer Justice, those prices are unjustified. After enduring the PSL Justice hassle and having to show my parking pass to the Parking Lot Justice, I often have my Walking Justice infringed upon by icy walkways. You'd think the Usher Justice could at least make people wait until a stoppage in play before unjustly blocking my view of the game. I mean really, where's anyone sticking up for my Viewing Justice?? And the poor players, they sometimes don't get Home Court Advantage Justice from the red sweaters who just sit and don't make any noise. I would provide much better Noise Justice, I should be sitting closer.

It's just so unjust.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (10-07-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Major General

big jordan, "Social Justice" is not an innocuous term any more...it is used time and time again to imply that the more fortunate among us are undeserving of our achievements, that somehow, someway, those at the bottom of the economic ladder are there through the misdeeds of society or those above their socio-economic status and to burnish the bona fies of those speaking out about it.