Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 08:55 AM
Major

flybye is infamous around these parts
Scheduling....can be done.

North Carolina and Charleston have scheduled a 2 and 1 starting next year in Chapel Hill. So NC is going to play a game in Charleston. I would like to see a positive let’s go do it approach and some results. We have beat the why we can’t to death.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flybye For This Totally Excellent Post:
GoFlyer (10-08-2019), Justin (10-08-2019)
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2019, 12:53 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
You're suggesting that our inability to get this type of arrangement is due to a lack of trying.

Two things to consider:

1.) If Charleston packed 13,000 a game, they would not have gotten this arrangement. Nobody wants to play us in UD Arena. Our home court advantage is the real deal and it's a blessing on game day. It's a curse in June. CoC puts 4,400 in the stands.

2.) Our AD didn't go to UNC (theirs did). But if you want to get Penn State or Robert Morris on the schedule Neil may have an "in" there.

Our schedule this year is the new reality. If you want to improve the schedule from here, then we need to move conferences (which we don't have an invite to do).

Not trying to be negative, just trying to be realistic.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (10-08-2019), Lowd&ProUD (10-08-2019), MrFlyerFanatic (10-08-2019), UDGutter2 (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 01:24 PM
Major

momszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud of
Smile

I'd take a home and road with Penn State and a buy game with Robert Morris.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to momszer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-01-2021), GoFlyer (10-08-2019), MNFats (10-08-2019), TheDuke2003 (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 02:25 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post

1.) If Charleston packed 13,000 a game, they would not have gotten this arrangement. Nobody wants to play us in UD Arena. Our home court advantage is the real deal and it's a blessing on game day. It's a curse in June. CoC puts 4,400 in the stands.
I’m sure that’s the same reason teams don’t play osu at the shoe...nobody wants to play in front of 105k people when they can play at welcome stadium in front of 3k
Old 10-08-2019, 02:54 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TX Flyer View Post
I’m sure that’s the same reason teams don’t play osu at the shoe...nobody wants to play in front of 105k people when they can play at welcome stadium in front of 3k
Apples and oranges.

Ohio State football, national champion caliber team almost every year, good team to play and try and beat.

Dayton basketball, hasn't been to a national championship type game in years, but has beaten up "blue bloods" in the past 20 years at home. One of the SEC teams that came into the Arena in the past decade has come out and said he wouldn't play here again. I bet someone on here can find that quote for me.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Apples and oranges.

Ohio State football, national champion caliber team almost every year, good team to play and try and beat.

Dayton basketball, hasn't been to a national championship type game in years, but has beaten up "blue bloods" in the past 20 years at home. One of the SEC teams that came into the Arena in the past decade has come out and said he wouldn't play here again. I bet someone on here can find that quote for me.
Bruce Pearl
Old 10-09-2019, 06:56 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Bruce Pearl
Ben Howland - Mississippi State
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (10-09-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 04:45 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,126 Times in 4,171 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
You're suggesting that our inability to get this type of arrangement is due to a lack of trying.

Our schedule this year is the new reality. If you want to improve the schedule from here, then we need to move conferences (which we don't have an invite to do).

Not trying to be negative, just trying to be realistic.
Agree...this year is the new normal...get used to it.

Things are not going to change unless:

1. We loosen up/become less picky In terms of which teams we are willing to do a h/h or 2 for 1 with,

Or

2. We loosen up in terms of the number of home games we play, thereby playing less buy games and playing more h/h or 1 for 2 or one-way road games.

And btw, I fully support loosening up in both of those areas.

20 game league schedules have created a tougher environment, North Carolina or Ohio State or any other p5/be/aac team is not walking thru that door. You can take that to the bank.

Last edited by ud2; 10-08-2019 at 04:47 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 05:10 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute

Attendance figures only tell part of the story. I'd argue that some of the smaller more intimate arenas/gyms provide some of the best home court advantages. Charleston will pack their 5,100 arena for this game just like they did a decade ago when they knocked off UNC who was a top ten team at the time.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:35 PM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Not again...
Posted via Mobile Device
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (10-09-2019), Graphicsguy (10-08-2019), Lowd&ProUD (10-08-2019), m21eagle45 (10-09-2019), Sticks 'n Stearns (10-08-2019), wes (10-12-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 01:36 PM
Major

Thanks, my concern is that we have tried very hard and as yet have not been able to close a deal. I know Neil, Anthony and the staff are doing all they can that’s the concern. I am also trying to have us believe it can be done. If you go thru the threads after Chris did his 5 part series , sometimes it takes relationships and being out in front of the curve. No one should believe that there isn’t a big time school that will come to the Arena. There we disagree. North Carolina is playing at Gonzaga this year in the big arena... I am sure the place will be crazy. They are going there because of the Gonzaga Brand and there success. Traveling 3000 miles... trust me Roy Williams and others are not afraid to come to Dayton. Are schools on the bubble perhaps not in a position to come here you bet!!! My Approach and I trust Neil’s also is not to be trapped by failure or that’s the way it is mentality. Keep working it, build relationships and have people around you that have those relationships. Anthony and Brannon are friends ie the Secret scrimmage, I trust that will turn into something.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:43 PM
1st Lieutenant

Lowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by flybye View Post
Thanks, my concern is that we have tried very hard and as yet have not been able to close a deal. I know Neil, Anthony and the staff are doing all they can that’s the concern. I am also trying to have us believe it can be done. If you go thru the threads after Chris did his 5 part series , sometimes it takes relationships and being out in front of the curve. No one should believe that there isn’t a big time school that will come to the Arena. There we disagree. North Carolina is playing at Gonzaga this year in the big arena... I am sure the place will be crazy. They are going there because of the Gonzaga Brand and there success. Traveling 3000 miles... trust me Roy Williams and others are not afraid to come to Dayton. Are schools on the bubble perhaps not in a position to come here you bet!!! My Approach and I trust Neil’s also is not to be trapped by failure or that’s the way it is mentality. Keep working it, build relationships and have people around you that have those relationships. Anthony and Brannon are friends ie the Secret scrimmage, I trust that will turn into something.
Losing to Gonzaga isn't a bad loss. Losing to Dayton is.

THAT is why so many schools are 100% "afraid" to come to UD Arena.
Mad Props to Lowd&ProUD For This Totally Excellent Post:
TX Flyer (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 02:54 PM

Thanked 3,138 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
You may not have noticed the OSU home non conference schedule but it sucks year after year.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to John C. For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-01-2021), Lowd&ProUD (10-08-2019), San Diego Flyer (10-08-2019), UD62 (01-01-2021), UDGutter2 (10-08-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 09:35 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John C. View Post
You may not have noticed the OSU home non conference schedule but it sucks year after year.
Agreed. Cincinnati, Villanova this year. Creighton, Syracuse last year
Old 10-08-2019, 03:31 PM
1st Lieutenant

Wallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant future
We missed on the home OOC schedule this year. No doubt about it. We had 2 very good home and home P5 series last year and have generally done fairly well recently. I understand outside forces are making Dayton's OOC scheduling harder, especially for home games. A new/improved conference is absolutely the best way to fight it.

But 1 year isn't a trend. We aren't in year 5 of this with no prospects of improvement. The A10-MWC challenge starts up next year and hopefully we get a nice pairing. That takes a little pressure off. I'd hope we are able to get one great H/H series stated next year and one good H/H series. Winning big this year with lots of the roster coming back for 20-21 should make the prospect of opponent's losing at UD Arena more tolerable.
Mad Props to Wallage For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-01-2021)
Old 10-08-2019, 03:57 PM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
N.C. plays other schools in N.C. at their place most years, because they want to treat their fans in that area and recruit. Flybye, talk to OSU as they need to do the same for us, as N.C. playing Davidson. You have the scenario backwards
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (10-09-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 04:01 PM
Captain

GoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I agree one year is not a trend. I just want to go on record that if such a trend occurs it would not be easily accepted by fans.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:45 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Is it groundhog day? I feel like I've lived this thread over and over
11 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (10-09-2019), CT Flyer (10-08-2019), Glen Clark (10-08-2019), Jeff (10-09-2019), John C. (10-08-2019), longtimefan (10-08-2019), m21eagle45 (10-08-2019), Radar (10-09-2019), rollo (10-08-2019), The Fly (10-08-2019), UD62 (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 04:56 PM
Major

Good discussion, redundant but there is nothing more important that scheduling . It’s a major concern for Neil Going forward. Ud2 post is spot on, we ,may have to change what we are willing to do and or give up. There are examples just this year with Kansas St staring a home and home with SLU. I disagree that losing to us is a bad loss, this years performance is very important to reestablish the brand. By the way, the Gonzaga /NC game is being played in there small campus gym. Hell Providence is heading to Rhody for there annual game. The they won’t come to the arena is nonsense. No doubt some won’t but as we negotiate and up the ante they will come.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:29 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Good discussion, redundant but there is nothing more important that scheduling . It’s a major concern for Neil Going forward. Ud2 post is spot on, we ,may have to change what we are willing to do and or give up. There are examples just this year with Kansas St staring a home and home with SLU. I disagree that losing to us is a bad loss, this years performance is very important to reestablish the brand. By the way, the Gonzaga /NC game is being played in there small campus gym. Hell Providence is heading to Rhody for there annual game. The they won’t come to the arena is nonsense. No doubt some won’t but as we negotiate and up the ante they will come.
Saint Louis is a huge recruiting area for Kansas State, as well as many schools across the country. Dayton, Ohio is not a huge recruiting area for college basketball. Playing games in the area you recruit helps with recruiting and makes you more visible.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (10-08-2019), steve (10-09-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 07:13 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Let's kidnap the AD from the school we want to play until they agree to a home and home with the Flyers. If we have to, tickle their feet with a feather until you get the yes.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
Let's kidnap the AD from the school we want to play until they agree to a home and home with the Flyers. If we have to, tickle their feet with a feather until you get the yes.
Careful- Cousin Eddie is lurking out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (10-08-2019), UDGutter2 (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 07:24 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Is it ground hog day - again?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2019, 09:19 AM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Got an idea....

Let's do a 5 part essay on the scheduling process....
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (10-09-2019), John C. (10-09-2019), MNFats (10-09-2019), shocka43 (10-11-2019), TXFlyerFan (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 08:44 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Got an idea....

Let's do a 5 part essay on the scheduling process....
Netflix is already all over it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2019, 03:14 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
North Carolina and Charleston have scheduled a 2 and 1 starting next year in Chapel Hill. So NC is going to play a game in Charleston. I would like to see a positive let’s go do it approach and some results. We have beat the why we can’t to death.
USC Upstate (H)
Georgia State (H)
Oklahoma State (H) note 12-20 last year
Marshall (A)
UCF (N-T)
Wake (N-T)
Providence / Long Beach (N-T)
Coker (who the heck are they??)
Richmond (A)
VCU (H)
South Carolina State (H)

Take out the tournament and their best game is a couple of A-10 teams.

But hey, I'm sure it's totally apples-to-apples.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:05 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty simple. We aren't good enough for Top Tier teams to risk losing to us at home since could definitely happen. If we had a long track record of top level success (i.e. Gonzaga), they would play here. Get used to it. It sucks, but it is what it is. The price we pay as a high mid-major school.
Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 09:36 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
North Carolina is one of the last (Maybe the last?) big school that'll throw a bone to regional mid-majors. They've opened up Elon's new arena and played at UNC-Wilmington
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-01-2021)
Old 10-11-2019, 12:39 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I have an idea. Let's bookmark this page and see how their non-con schedule ranks next year. Since "scheduling. . . it can be done" means the WHOLE schedule, right? Not just one game? I mean, we COULD schedule UNC at home any year we want. Pay them $10M to come to the arena, play the worst teams in the country on the road for every other pre-conference game (since we can't afford the buy game prices), and viola.

Scheduling, it can be done.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:02 PM
Captain

Don is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to behold
Is anyone familiar with the history of how "that school down south" gradually worked their way into being able to schedule better?

It seems to me that starting maybe 20 years ago the ff sequence took place:
1 tsds started dominating their league
2 tsds regularly got into the NCAA
3 tsds started winning some NCAA games
4 tsds started playing some big boys on the road without paybacks
5 tsds pretty regularly got into the top 25
6 tsds gained enough cred that home and homes became possible

If this sequence is reasonably accurate, where do we fit in it? Seems to me like we're yet to reach step 1
Old 10-11-2019, 11:20 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Is anyone familiar with the history of how "that school down south" gradually worked their way into being able to schedule better?

It seems to me that starting maybe 20 years ago the ff sequence took place:
1 tsds started dominating their league
2 tsds regularly got into the NCAA
3 tsds started winning some NCAA games
4 tsds started playing some big boys on the road without paybacks
5 tsds pretty regularly got into the top 25
6 tsds gained enough cred that home and homes became possible

If this sequence is reasonably accurate, where do we fit in it? Seems to me like we're yet to reach step 1
I guess that is what happened...I would like to hope that every one of things does not have to happen before the schedule gets better...
Old 10-14-2019, 08:57 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
2019-20

Speaking of the Flyers upcoming season, how do the Flyers shake out in terms of Quad I,II,III,and IV for the OOC portion of the schedule?

Good comparison:
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...nament-chances

Old 01-01-2021, 09:58 AM
General

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I have an idea. Let's bookmark this page and see how their non-con schedule ranks next year. Since "scheduling. . . it can be done" means the WHOLE schedule, right? Not just one game? I mean, we COULD schedule UNC at home any year we want. Pay them $10M to come to the arena, play the worst teams in the country on the road for every other pre-conference game (since we can't afford the buy game prices), and viola.

Scheduling, it can be done.

As promised, here's Charleston's schedule for this year.

UNC
Limestone (That's a college? That will help the tournament resume)
Richmond
Furman
Marshall
South Carolina State
Western Carolina
Georgia State

Scheduling. . . it can be done.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:31 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

UNC
Richmond
Furman
Marshall
South Carolina State
Western Carolina
Georgia State

Good schedule if you have a passion for the NIT.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:22 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,749 Times in 791 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

UNC
Richmond
Furman
Marshall
South Carolina State
Western Carolina
Georgia State

What a waste of time that would be - reminds me of the old UDIT teams.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 02:15 PM

UNC
Richmond
Furman
Marshall
South Carolina State
Western Carolina
Georgia State

Former Flyer, Sam Miller, played his final 2 years down there. Interesting, fun town, home of The Citadel.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-miller-1.html

4 and 3 in year 1, 8 and 6 in year 2.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:38 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
I do believe that in the recent past, and a bit furthur back, our OOC strength of schedule and our performance with those schedules were a strength as far as getting a bid.
Couch AD's telling the real AD what he should be doing, most of which is riddled with cliches.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:44 AM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
With all respect, the city of Dayton ain't close to Charleston. Some of these teams go down there so their alumni, who live there or visit, will have a good time in a great town.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 11:24 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
And while we are Monday QBing our schedule, we cannot control the opponent. UD cannot force another school to play them. If they say no, what are we to do about it?
Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 12:21 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
And while we are Monday QBing our schedule, we cannot control the opponent. UD cannot force another school to play them. If they say no, what are we to do about it?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ works every time it is tried.
Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-01-2021)