Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-28-2015, 03:40 PM
1st Lieutenant

walkon is just really nicewalkon is just really nicewalkon is just really nicewalkon is just really nicewalkon is just really nice
Article on Archie Miller.

Really nothing new. Reaching final four is his goal

http://www.thedaytonmagazine.com/DM/Articles/4663.aspx

Go flyers
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 12-28-2015 at 04:37 PM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to walkon For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (12-28-2015), Bob G (12-28-2015), ruechalgrin (12-28-2015), Runnin' Rebel (12-29-2015)
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2015, 03:58 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,396 Times in 713 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
Why would you stop-short on your goal? Why not say a national championship is the goal? Why stop one or two victories away?
Old 12-28-2015, 04:30 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach View Post
Why would you stop-short on your goal? Why not say a national championship is the goal? Why stop one or two victories away?
Beatty, understood but maybe he believes and knows that if he achieves this, his "next" goal-----he'll finish the job!

Last edited by College B-Ball Fan; 12-29-2015 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-28-2015, 04:45 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,396 Times in 713 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
Okay. I am just hoping UD accomplishes the second goal first; but I guess that's not technically possible without meeting final four hurdle first. If it were me, I would always be thinking National Title is the goal, so that if/when we fall short of said goal, it means we could have lost in the national semifinal or the title game itself. JUST SAYING!
Old 12-28-2015, 05:06 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
If you think you're good enough to get to the final four, you have to think you're good enough to win it all. Here's why. If you think there is at least one team you cannot beat, then getting to the final four would be based on chance that you don't wind up in the same bracket as that team. Nothing you can do to keep that from happening. Now if you think there's two or three teams you can't beat, then your chance of getting to the final four is very slim, and you should be shooting for the elite 8.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,129 Posts
Bat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond repute
Oy Vey! Let's pick that nit some more. Good Grief!
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bat'71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (12-30-2015), Figgie123 (12-30-2015), jack72 (12-28-2015), longtimefan (12-29-2015), Sid Louick (12-28-2015), TerryK_67 (12-28-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 09:01 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach View Post
Okay. I am just hoping UD accomplishes the second goal first; but I guess that's not technically possible without meeting final four hurdle first. If it were me, I would always be thinking National Title is the goal, so that if/when we fall short of said goal, it means we could have lost in the national semifinal or the title game itself. JUST SAYING!
Beatty, you and I think alike---but this post only generated 5-6 responses with what AM said. Could you imagine how many posts would have been generated if he would have the audacity to suggest that his goal" while coaching for little ole' UD was a national championship?

AM knows and believes that if his team gets into the NCAA tournament----ANYTHING can happen. Sweet 16, Final 4 and hell yea a championship and after watching this guy the past 2-3 years, seeing how his players react to him and love playing for him---trust that he'll have the right game plan before the game, at half and in the final 2 minutes I also believe the sky is the limit for this guy and our flyers as long as he's our coach as well!

Go Flyers!
Old 12-29-2015, 09:57 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
The historical data shows that going to the Final Four is as high as MOST college programs can achieve. The teams that win the national championship are stock piled with talent at a higher level.

The closest an outside came to winning it all was Butler twice. Once, they had a legitimate shot. The other time, they were easily beaten. Otherwise, it is the same schools that are able to stockpile top talent.

The road to the Final Four is much easier because of single elimination tournament games.

I would love to see UD win a national championship. UD would have to recruit players that are typically going to Duke, NC, Kentucky, Michigan State etc... Very few schools are able to recruit that type of talent.

Getting the Final Four is also a very lofty goal. Many, many schools never made it to that far. Nothing wrong with that goal. If you make it there, then talk about a National Championship.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Over the years I've heard or read articles where most coaches say the goal is to get to the final four. I used to scratch my head as to why just getting there is the goal? Now I understand they are saying you have to get to the final four first before you can win the national championship. Just like NCAA football the same is said as the first goal is to be in the final four (playoffs).
Old 12-29-2015, 10:30 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,133 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
AM consistently talks about how UD is a special place. For several years I've resigned myself to the notion that he'll leave in a couple years so I want to enjoy the ride while he is here.

In the past 6 months I've started to think that maybe, just maybe, AM really does believe what he is saying and that the likelihood of him staying is greater than I originally thought.

Getting to the final four should not be discounted as a goal. If AM really thinks this place is special, then the only reason I see him leaving is his thirst to win a national championship and he determines it is not possible here. However, if UD makes the final four, say next year, AM will know it is indeed possible at UD.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 08:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Most coaches seem to make that statement as their goal. Its not putting the cart ahead of the horses. Stating the national championship is your goal may make you miss a very important step in your quest. Making it to the final four you get a week to prepare to slay the dragon and take the trophy.

Got to keep things into perspective.

Look at the UD women, winning the A-10 was their goal, then advancing in the NCAA became their goal, then the sweet sixteen and eliete 8 both of which they accomplished in the same year. (Of course they did you can't get to the elite eight without winning the sweet sixteen) but it was both their first sweet sixteen and elite 8 in the same year. Now its the final four. Brick by brick JJ built his program and they have come and are coming. (recruits that is) Fan base will follow.