User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017, 01:38 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Field of 64 View Post
I'm a UD grad/fan living in Richmond--and VCU STH. The VCU AD (who I don't particularly like) hit a grand slam with the Rhoades hire. He is literally beloved here--and probably should have been the one hired two years ago when Smart left. 3 year assistant under a legendary DIII coach at Randolph-Macon (10 miles north of Richmond), 10 years as head coach at Randolph-Macon, and 5 years as VCU assistant (Smart's top assistant towards the end) before leaving for Rice.

A total opposite of Wade in so many ways--Rhoades is very approachable, loves Richmond, still loves to play the game (he was DIII player of the year while in college), and is a big supporter of his players. He once had teeth knocked out while participating in a VCU practice drill--and kept playing.

He'll likely bring back Joey Rodriguez (PG from the FF team) as an assistant--and my guess is he'll be able to keep most/all of the four recruits.

I've never quite seen anything like this before in the coaching carousel--in under 18 hours, VCU got blindsided and turned it into a coaching upgrade.
Why didn't Rhoades get the job after Smart left?
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2017, 01:52 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
So Crean is hoping to coach again next year: From ESPN

"Crean said he hopes to coach in 2017-18 but will wait to find the right fit before accepting a new job.
"The only thing worse than having this happen is to go somewhere we're not aligned properly," Crean said. "A good job, a great job, those all come down to the alignment. Resources are important. Facilities are important. Tradition is important. Fan bases are important. Where can you recruit is important. But alignment is key. That, for me, is what you're looking for.""

I would say Archie has all of what Crean is talking about... Resources, facilities, tradition, fan base.....
Old 03-22-2017, 02:05 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Why didn't Rhoades get the job after Smart left?
Some believe that VCU approached him to gauge interest, but that he did not want to bail on Rice after only one year.

Last edited by Lifelong Flyer Fan; 03-22-2017 at 02:07 PM..
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 02:06 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cj View Post

"Crean said he hopes to coach in 2017-18 but will wait to find the right fit before accepting a new job.
"The only thing worse than having this happen is to go somewhere we're not aligned properly," Crean said. "A good job, a great job, those all come down to the alignment. Resources are important. Facilities are important. Tradition is important. Fan bases are important. Where can you recruit is important. But alignment is key. That, for me, is what you're looking for.""

I would say Archie has all of what Crean is talking about... Resources, facilities, tradition, fan base.....
Yes, but just like Rocky told Mick :"But I ain't got no locker Mick", we ain't got no league (allignment) which will one day be the reason why Archie leaves as both scheduling great home games and more TV exposure makes it far easier to recruit the 6'8" slashers that can also hit the 3 ball and probably the reason the next "hot" coach that comes thru UD will do the same ..
Old 03-22-2017, 02:49 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
For what it is worth, I just heard Gottlieb on Cowherd's show and he said really no doubt that Alford will end up at Indiana.
If that is what Doug Gottlieb is reporting on Colin Cowherd's show, then we can pretty much rule out Steve Alford.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigudfan (03-22-2017), priceg75 (03-23-2017), Radar (03-23-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 02:59 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
Indiana hired a search firm to assist in their hiring process. Why, I don't know. But that will definitely slow you down.
I'm thinking it's for 1 of 2 reasons:

a) Smokescreen. They really know who they want, but they want to make it look like they're still considering a number of candidates. Keeps everyone outside of Hoosierland guessing. Or

b) the AD wants Candidate A and the University President wants Candidate B (or isn't sure about Candidate A), and wants a 2nd opinion. As long as they're not paying half a mill or so to the search firm, that could be good insurance against a "bad hire".

In the case of (a), if who they want is Alford, they need to wait until UCLA's done, so there's already a delay in the hiring process anyway. And in the case of (b), if there's some disagreement about who to hire, it's better to slow the wheels a but and get the right person than to jump on a candidate who turns out to be absolutely the wrong choice (see "Sampson, Kelvin").
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 03:12 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
If that is what Doug Gottlieb is reporting on Colin Cowherd's show, then we can pretty much rule out Steve Alford.
Related to Gottlieb:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...aching-vacancy

I checked the calendar....it's not April 1st.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (03-22-2017), SLUFLYER (03-22-2017), xubrew (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 04:14 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
If you google Pat Kelsey and Tu Holloway you find what is one theory as to why Kelsey just up and quit. Supposedly Tu slept with Kelsey's wife and Kelsey demanded Mack kick him off the team or he was leaving. Mack deemed Tu more important and Kelsey quit.
It's on the internet, it must be true.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:16 PM
Brigadier General

SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Things were so bad at Xavier Kelsey quit and was considering getting out of the profession altogether. He's an X grad but you couldn't pay him enough to go back there. He turned his back on evil. Smart guy.
Uninformed
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 04:24 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
Uninformed
I know the Tu Holloway stories. I don't know whether they are true. But something happened to make Kelsey bolt his alma mater the way he did, without another coaching job lined up, publicly questioning whether he would ever coach again.

So when I say he turned his back on evil, that is absolutely an informed opinion because I know that Xavier is evil. Whatever his reasons, Kelsey left that godforsaken place and I applaud him for that.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:56 PM
Major General

xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Pat Kelsey has been rather open as to why he got out of coaching. I think one of the reasons he's been open about it is because he wants to be a role model and a resource for people who are dealing with similar issues. It's no secret. If you're not sure what happened or why he left then figuring things out probably just isn't your thing....

http://www.heraldonline.com/latest-n...e12283589.html

Last edited by xubrew; 03-22-2017 at 04:58 PM..
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (03-22-2017), DallasFlyer (03-22-2017), Gazoo (03-22-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-22-2017), MikeFlyer (03-23-2017), ruechalgrin (03-22-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-22-2017), SLUFLYER (03-22-2017), Whacker (03-23-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Brigadier General

I know the Tu Holloway stories. I don't know whether they are true. But something happened to make Kelsey bolt his alma mater the way he did, without another coaching job lined up, publicly questioning whether he would ever coach again.

So when I say he turned his back on evil, that is absolutely an informed opinion because I know that Xavier is evil. Whatever his reasons, Kelsey left that godforsaken place and I applaud him for that.
The reasons for Kelsey's departure are pretty public, from the man himself. I will take that, a direct story from a reputable media platform with direct quotes and contributions from Kelsey over a back room chat board full of unsubstantiated filth..........regardless of anyone's disdain for Xavier.

Uninformed or misinformed.........you can pick one.

Credit xubrew for providing the link, one that I've read some time ago.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigudfan (03-22-2017), Bucketnight (03-22-2017), DallasFlyer (03-22-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-22-2017), xubrew (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 06:47 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Pat Kelsey has been rather open as to why he got out of coaching. I think one of the reasons he's been open about it is because he wants to be a role model and a resource for people who are dealing with similar issues. It's no secret. If you're not sure what happened or why he left then figuring things out probably just isn't your thing....

Thanks for the link. I'm all for snark and even the occasional cheap shot but continuing to push this type of internet rumor when the truth is out there is lower than lameass trolling.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bucketnight For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (03-22-2017), Glen Clark (03-24-2017), SLUFLYER (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 07:10 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bucketnight View Post
Thanks for the link. I'm all for snark and even the occasional cheap shot but continuing to push this type of internet rumor when the truth is out there is lower than lameass trolling.
Ditto. I've heard the Tu thing many times, but never the stuff that was in the article. It's a TMZ world in which we live in I guess. Thank you Brew for sharing.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:10 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute

I just became a UMass fan.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-23-2017), Bob G (03-23-2017), DallasFlyer (03-23-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-23-2017), SLUFLYER (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:47 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Gary Parrish‏ @GaryParrishCBS

Michigan State assistant Dane Fife is in advanced talks to replace Jim Ferry at Duquesne, a source told @CBSSports.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:57 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post

Michigan State assistant Dane Fife is in advanced talks to replace Jim Ferry at Duquesne, a source told @CBSSports.
He played for Bobby Knight and Mike Davis at Indiana...he used to be the hc at IPFW...I saw IPFW play once with him as coach, I liked what I saw.

Last edited by ud2; 03-23-2017 at 11:00 AM..
Old 03-23-2017, 11:42 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
He didn't have what I would call overwhelming success at IPFW... 18-12 looks like his best record.

I guess that would be an improvement for Duquesne.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:45 AM
Major General

Been turned down by a couple of guys already but I feel like Duquesne should at least try to hire John Brannen at NKU before they go the assistant route. Guy is a stud who makes around $200K a year. Throw a million bucks at him if you have to.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:45 AM
Major General

priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Duquesne isn't paying anybody a million bucks for anything.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:48 AM
Captain

Larymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to all
Originally Posted by cj View Post

That POS (Crean) can rot for all I care.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:51 AM
General of the Air Force

lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 2m2 minutes ago

Michigan State assistant Dane Fife is not going to Duquesne, sources told ESPN.

Jeez Duquesne what the heck is going on lol
Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 11:51 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
Duquesne isn't paying anybody a million bucks for anything.
I know. But it would be really great if they did. Fife, King Rice and the guy from Vermont have all turned them down now. So it looks like whatever they're offering, it's clearly not enough.

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 03-23-2017 at 11:54 AM..
Old 03-23-2017, 11:54 AM
General of the Air Force

Gary Parrish
✔ ‎@GaryParrishCBS

UPDATE: Dane Fife has ended discussions with Duquesne. Is no longer pursuing the job, a source told @CBSSports.
Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Major General

You have to feel real good that they're an A10 member. Clearly, they are low-balling everyone. Their commitment to winning is... questionable.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-23-2017), Radar (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Heard an IU friend say Fife was on their list, albeit, lower on the list.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Major General

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 2m2 minutes ago

Michigan State assistant Dane Fife is not going to Duquesne, sources told ESPN.

Jeez Duquesne what the heck is going on lol
I don't get why Duquesne can't get it going. By that I mean they should at least be an NIT caliber team more often than not. Given the type of school that it is, and the conference, and their location, it seems like they should be better than what they are.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:58 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Duquesne might have to hire a grad assistant from some D2 school at this rate.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 01:03 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
Heard an IU friend say Fife was on their list, albeit, lower on the list.
If IU hires Dane Fife as their coach, there will be mass hysteria.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:03 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't get why Duquesne can't get it going. By that I mean they should at least be an NIT caliber team more often than not. Given the type of school that it is, and the conference, and their location, it seems like they should be better than what they are.
They should have never fired Ron Everhart . He had a winning record when he was there, the teams were competitive, and he had some young talent that transferred out after he was fired.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-23-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-23-2017), sopaw10 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 01:09 PM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
John Thompson out at GTown!!
Old 03-23-2017, 01:12 PM
Captain

sopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud of
Totally agree on Everhart. He was very good.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:18 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by jerseyflyer09 View Post
John Thompson out at GTown!!
Tom Crean to Georgetown?
Old 03-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Tom Crean to Georgetown?
I'm putting my guess down as Patrick Ewing.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:40 PM
Major General

Why, oh why did Hopkins already accept the Washington job??

Okay, he probably wouldn't have gone to Georgetown, but if he had I would have taken a day off and driven to Syracuse just to watch the meltdown. It would have been glorious!!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (03-23-2017), MikeF (03-23-2017), rollo (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 01:46 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm ... Thompson out.

I wonder if they will have to remove the statue.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:00 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by MNFats View Post
I'm putting my guess down as Patrick Ewing.
So you fire John Thompson's kid to hire a guy John Thompson loves more than his own son... maybe, but I think they need to get out of the shadow of Big John. It's time.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:02 PM
General of the Air Force

Casual Hoya‏ @CasualHoya 17m17 minutes ago

Name I'm hearing most associated with the Georgetown opening is current Harvard coach Tommy Amaker.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (03-23-2017), jack72 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Major General

Casual Hoya‏ @CasualHoya 17m17 minutes ago

Name I'm hearing most associated with the Georgetown opening is current Harvard coach Tommy Amaker.
Yeah, that makes too much sense. Amaker for sure.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
They should have never fired Ron Everhart . He had a winning record when he was there, the teams were competitive, and he had some young talent that transferred out after he was fired.
They were competitive, but thoroughly mediocre under Everhart 99-89 (46-50) in his six years. I understand they would love to get back to mediocre, but at the time Everhart's abrasive personality was eroding any capital he had earned. He actually had some young talent transfer before he was fired for this same reason. He couldn't make the tournament with the A10 POY.

At the time, Dukes were looking for a coach to take them to that elusive "next level." Perhaps they should have been more patient. Progress is rarely linear. But there were some valid reasons to get rid of Everhart at the time.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:36 PM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
They were competitive, but thoroughly mediocre under Everhart 99-89 (46-50) in his six years. I understand they would love to get back to mediocre, but at the time Everhart's abrasive personality was eroding any capital he had earned. He actually had some young talent transfer before he was fired for this same reason. He couldn't make the tournament with the A10 POY.

At the time, Dukes were looking for a coach to take them to that elusive "next level." Perhaps they should have been more patient. Progress is rarely linear. But there were some valid reasons to get rid of Everhart at the time.
I do not disagree with any of this. But at the same time, above .500 record 4 of 6 years and only below .500 once. They also finished 4th and 5th in the league 2 of those years. I understand that they were looking to get to the next level, but they were not nearly as bad as they have been with him gone. I think today they would take 10th, 9th, 5th, 8th, 4th, and 9th in the A10 standings.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:57 PM
Major General

Umass canceled the introductory press conference for Pat Kelsey. No one seems to know what's going on. Weird.

Canceled 15 minutes before start time while media is all waiting for him...

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 03-23-2017 at 04:00 PM..
Old 03-23-2017, 04:08 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
I do not disagree with any of this. But at the same time, above .500 record 4 of 6 years and only below .500 once. They also finished 4th and 5th in the league 2 of those years. I understand that they were looking to get to the next level, but they were not nearly as bad as they have been with him gone. I think today they would take 10th, 9th, 5th, 8th, 4th, and 9th in the A10 standings.
For Duquesne, .500 is the next level
Old 03-23-2017, 04:09 PM

Thanked 10,132 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Umass canceled the introductory press conference for Pat Kelsey. No one seems to know what's going on. Weird.

Canceled 15 minutes before start time while media is all waiting for him...
Maybe he is taking the Dukes job. Seriously, maybe Georgetown has contacted him.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:10 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
OUCH.

Jeff Goodman‏Verified @GoodmanESPN

Winthrop’s Pat Kelsey has had a change of heart and will not take the UMass job, sources told ESPN.

I remember Dakich doing that at WVU.

My guess that there is something that made him walk.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:14 PM
General of the Air Force

Wow.. Crazy

They are not happy lol
http://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/v...5134&start=180
Old 03-23-2017, 04:29 PM
Captain

Dogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant future
Well, I guess they are the minutemen - coach fits.

From their board...interesting.

"My son just called me from Vegas again with this. The Xavier coach is leaving to take the job at Indiana and Kelsey will take the Xavier job. Nothing can be announced today because they are still playing in the tournaments."
Mad Props to Dogdaddy For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 04:32 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Dogdaddy View Post

"My son just called me from Vegas again with this. The Xavier coach is leaving to take the job at Indiana and Kelsey will take the Xavier job. Nothing can be announced today because they are still playing in the tournaments."
That would be quite interesting if that is true. I did not see Mack leaving X, but it would make sense.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:32 PM
Lieutenant General

C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
That is the exact scenario I was coming here to suggest.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:40 PM
General

Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
...so, are we back to Kelsey's wife and Tu Holloway?
Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 04:45 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, HoopDirt is saying the same thing.

https://hoopdirt.com/breaking-umass-...ess-conference:

UMass has canceled today’s press conference where they were scheduled to introduce Pat Kelsey as their new head basketball coach. UMass cited “unforeseen circumstances.”

There are many rumors bouncing around out there right now. Is Chris Mack headed to Indiana, opening Xavier for Kelsey? Did he truly have a change of heart and wants to return to Winthrop?

Not quite sure what to make of this, but I’m working hard on it right now.

More on this as I hear it.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Brigadier General

That is the exact scenario I was coming here to suggest.
Can I play my RamodWaleskowski card?

I was pretty confident that Mack's future destination (Indiana or Xavier) would be a telling thing with Kelsey to UMass. Kelsey backing out of UMass tells you all that you need to know about Mack's future......and it also confirms (assuming this all plays out as it appears) that Kelsey wasn't in fact running from the Evil Empire, as was suggested.
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 04:52 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute

This rumor makes sense. We will see what tomorrow brings.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:55 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Freakin A10 is like one big jilted lover.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:40 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2017, 05:42 PM
Brigadier General

springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Well sh!t...I really like Kelsey. What's a Xavier hater supposed to do if this becomes true??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2017, 05:43 PM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
Freakin A10 is like one big jilted lover.
Safety schools, safety coaching gigs, safety hook-ups...
Old 03-23-2017, 06:02 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Good news is A10 getting lots of media attention,
Lots of jocking going on. Have to wait for dust to settle.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:06 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If true Mack to Indiana wonder if he will want to win tonight or be anxious to move on and take that bigger pay check.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:26 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
If true Mack to Indiana wonder if he will want to win tonight or be anxious to move on and take that bigger pay check.
I would hope he wants to win...can't waste S16 opportunities.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:26 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Apparently he wasn't too busy today preparing his team to find time to talk Kelsey out of taking the Umass gig.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Academy Doolie

JoeFlyer is on a distinguished road
Now Danny Hurley in play for Georgetown job. A10 becoming a bit of a circus.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...medium=twitter
Old 03-23-2017, 06:50 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
I just can't envision Georgetown putting up with Hurley's antics.....
Old 03-23-2017, 06:53 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
At the end of the day Archie will still be manning the ship. Amid the chaos we have calm.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:54 PM
Brigadier General

BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Arrogant and egotistical Hurley and the arrogant and egotistical administration at Georgetown (and all Big East schools) match made in heaven!
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 06:58 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post
Now Danny Hurley in play for Georgetown job. A10 becoming a bit of a circus.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...medium=twitter
Where's that dumpster fire pic that was posted in the other thread

This kind of instability and marginal programs in the A10 is exactly the kind of thing that will not only draw Archie away from Dayton but will make it harder to get another good coach, or at least one who views the gig as just an interim stop on their way to a P5/NBE job.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-23-2017), JoeFlyer (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 07:19 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
Where's that dumpster fire pic that was posted in the other thread
Is this what you're looking for! LOL

3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-24-2017), SLUFLYER (03-24-2017), TXFlyerFan (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 07:35 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Pat Kelsey is staying at Winthrop according to this article
http://www.heraldonline.com/sports/c...140385603.html
After reading the article XBrew posted yesterday, this is what I suspected.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:09 PM
General of the Air Force

Ball State's James Whitford looks to the be the next HC at Duquesne, was an assistant under Sean Miller
Old 03-23-2017, 08:25 PM
General

Based on the UMASS press release, I doubt Kelsey takes a job elsewhere this off season. The two parties had executed a memo of understanding on Tuesday & both parties have made very public statements about Kelsey backing out of this agreement. If Kelsey were to turn around and take, say, the X job, he'd open himself up to one helluva lawsuit.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...t-last-minute/
Old 03-23-2017, 08:32 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
Based on the UMASS press release, I doubt Kelsey takes a job elsewhere this off season. The two parties had executed a memo of understanding on Tuesday & both parties have made very public statements about Kelsey backing out of this agreement. If Kelsey were to turn around and take, say, the X job, he'd open himself up to one helluva lawsuit.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...t-last-minute/
Maybe but the UMass buyout in the memorandum of understanding was just 1 million and his Winthrop buyout is only 250k. In terms of buyouts in college athletics 1.25 million isn't that bad and if the Xavier/Indiana scenario plays out the overlords down south would have no problem covering that. I'm sure they would get some buyout money from IU from Mack too.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:38 PM
General

Maybe but the UMass buyout in the memorandum of understanding was just 1 million and his Winthrop buyout is only 250k. In terms of buyouts in college athletics 1.25 million isn't that bad and if the Xavier/Indiana scenario plays out the overlords down south would have no problem covering that. I'm sure they would get some buyout money from IU from Mack too.
UMASS could justifiably claim harm to their program's reputation due to the circus this has become and the fact that Kelsey's statement of personal reasons as the reason for backing out was not made in good faith.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:57 PM
Lieutenant General

UMASS could justifiably claim harm to their program's reputation due to the circus this has become and the fact that Kelsey's statement of personal reasons as the reason for backing out was not made in good faith.
UMass's reputation! LOL. They have no reputation to harm!

But seriously all they can really get is 1 million which will basically be transferred directly to Derek Kellogg's bank account for his buyout.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Viperstick (03-23-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 07:45 AM
Brigadier General

Is this what you're looking for! LOL

This is the best running gag on this board...
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 10:35 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
Pat Kelsey is staying at Winthrop according to this article
http://www.heraldonline.com/sports/c...140385603.html
After reading the article XBrew posted yesterday, this is what I suspected.
If he's staying at (going back to) Winthrop, then I don't think Mack to IU is in play now or even potentially in play when X's season is complete.

This whole thing has been really messy. In the end, as much as I love Kelsey, his reputation probably takes the biggest hit. Short of Xavier should Mack ever leave, how many other schools will look past this incident the next time they're looking for a coach.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:41 AM

Dennis Felton to Cleveland State.

https://hoopdirt.com/official-clevel...ketball-coach/
Old 03-24-2017, 10:44 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
If he's staying at (going back to) Winthrop, then I don't think Mack to IU is in play now or even potentially in play when X's season is complete.

This whole thing has been really messy. In the end, as much as I love Kelsey, his reputation probably takes the biggest hit. Short of Xavier should Mack ever leave, how many other schools will look past this incident the next time they're looking for a coach.
Yep.There's simply something not right with the guy mentally for whatever reason he did what he did yesterday. Mack's interest, perceived interest or no interest in IU was in the air 3 days ago just as much as yesterday afternoon...
Old 03-24-2017, 11:03 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
This is the best running gag on this board...
In the right application of this photo, you can sing "chest nuts roasting in an open fire".
Old 03-24-2017, 02:21 PM
General of the Air Force

No one will go to Duquesne lol

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein

James Whitford is staying at Ball State and is no longer a candidate for the head coaching vacancy at Duquesne, per sources.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:44 PM
Major General

Oh my god. They got turned down by the coach of Ball State? Back to back CITs for those guys. Honestly, pretty embarrassing to offer the job to that guy, let alone be turned down by him!
Old 03-24-2017, 03:00 PM
General of the Air Force

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 6m6 minutes ago

BREAKING: Cal will promote assistant Wyking Jones to head coach, per a source. Was on staff with Cuonzo Martin. Also worked for Rick Pitino.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:15 PM
General of the Air Force

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 3m3 minutes ago

Oklahoma State has elevated assistant coach Mike Boynton to head coach, per release. Cowboys keeping things in house.

Indiana and G'Town are the last "big" jobs left
Old 03-24-2017, 04:22 PM
Major General

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 6m6 minutes ago

BREAKING: Cal will promote assistant Wyking Jones to head coach, per a source. Was on staff with Cuonzo Martin. Also worked for Rick Pitino.
I think Cal interviewed Randy Bennett and he turned them down.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:57 PM
General

If I'm Duquesne, I'm on the phone with Billy Donlon yesterday. Dude was a quality coach across town and at this rate, they can't really get too picky.

Should have never fired Everhart. Karma's a beotch.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:04 PM
Major General

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 3m3 minutes ago

Oklahoma State has elevated assistant coach Mike Boynton to head coach, per release. Cowboys keeping things in house.

Indiana and G'Town are the last "big" jobs left
Right now they are. Cal and OK State elevating assistants instead of robbing someone else does calm things down a bit though.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:07 PM
Major General

If I'm Duquesne, I'm on the phone with Billy Donlon yesterday. Dude was a quality coach across town and at this rate, they can't really get too picky.

Should have never fired Everhart. Karma's a beotch.
Donlon would be a better hire than some of the guys who have turned them down already. He's got a good assistant gig and will get another crack at head coaching but I'm not sure he would be interested in the Duquesne job that seemingly no one wants.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:27 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
jpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond repute
No one will go to Duquesne lol

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein

James Whitford is staying at Ball State and is no longer a candidate for the head coaching vacancy at Duquesne, per sources.
Most of the time when a coach says he is no longer a candidate he wasn't offered the job. He just removes his name to save face.
Mad Props to jpk4ud For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 05:39 PM
Brigadier General

Perhaps Dave Harper is wishing he hadn't left UD right about now...
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 06:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by jpk4ud View Post
Most of the time when a coach says he is no longer a candidate he wasn't offered the job. He just removes his name to save face.
If it was one guy I might agree with that, but I think this is the 4th guy to "remove his name". My guess is that Duquesne doesn't have enough money to pay a guy to take the risk of ruining their career by becoming the head coach at Duquesne.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:19 PM
Lieutenant General

I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier but I know exactly who can coach Duquesne. Since ASN is now out of business their analysts need jobs so I'm nominating Oliver Purnell to be the head coach with Mike Jarvis and Mark Adams as two of the assistant coaches. Monica McNutt will be the video coordinator!
Old 03-24-2017, 09:36 PM
Major General

Billy Donovan to Indiana? http://thebiglead.com/2017/03/24/bil...lcome-to-2017/
Old 03-25-2017, 12:50 AM
Major General

Alford says he is not going to Indiana. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=2...190536498738-4
Old 03-25-2017, 01:23 AM
Lieutenant General

Alford says he is not going to Indiana. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=2...190536498738-4
What else is he supposed to say immediately after his team losses?

I'm not saying I know what his future is but the only thing he really can say is that he's staying at UCLA.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:26 AM

Thanked 17,097 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
When your split-window Corvette is Bloomington Gold and NCRS certified, everybody wants it. When it's on cinder blocks by the side of the road with mice living under the bonnet, it's a tougher sell.

Harper's challenge -- one he largely inherited -- is attempting to sell a devalued product to the coaching world. One of the things he can try to do however is commit better basketball resources to make the job more competitive and rewarding.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 03-25-2017, 09:50 AM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
What else is he supposed to say immediately after his team losses?

I'm not saying I know what his future is but the only thing he really can say is that he's staying at UCLA.
I don't think he's going anywhere. His statement is pretty clear. He's got a good gig and there is no reason to leave unless he gets fired.

Plus Indiana doesn't want the baggage that Alford has from his past particularly from his days in Iowa. Plus it seems like IU wants to move on from the Knight era.

In the end I think Dane Fife gets the job.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:19 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Windy City Flyer View Post
I don't think he's going anywhere. His statement is pretty clear. He's got a good gig and there is no reason to leave unless he gets fired.

Plus Indiana doesn't want the baggage that Alford has from his past particularly from his days in Iowa. Plus it seems like IU wants to move on from the Knight era.

In the end I think Dane Fife gets the job.
I don't think Alford is leaving either, but you have to remember that he signed a 10 year 20 Million dollar extension with New Mexico two weeks before he took the UCLA job so it's not like he hasn't changed his mind before.

I was just pointing out that he is doing exactly what every coach has to do until they actually accept a new job and sign a MOU or contract with that new school. "I'm really happy at (insert school) and am looking forward to next season."
Old 03-25-2017, 10:32 AM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think Alford is leaving either, but you have to remember that he signed a 10 year 20 Million dollar extension with New Mexico two weeks before he took the UCLA job so it's not like he hasn't changed his mind before.

I was just pointing out that he is doing exactly what every coach has to do until they actually accept a new job and sign a MOU or contract with that new school. "I'm really happy at (insert school) and am looking forward to next season."
Why would he leave UCLA when he has LaVar Ball on his side? Everyone should be so lucky.
BRob2Perryman3 (03-25-2017), SLUFLYER (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 10:37 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Why would he leave UCLA when he has LaVar Ball on his side? Everyone should be so lucky.
I'd take a pay cut to get away from Lavar Ball. Plus I've heard the next kid isn't as good and I'm sure Lavar will handle it well if he doesn't start or play as much as he wants him to.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Ball will turn pro, and maybe Leak. Steve's son graduates.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:59 AM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Ball will turn pro, and maybe Leak. Steve's son graduates.
But UCLA has 2 more Balls coming...
SLUFLYER (03-25-2017)

Tags
2017, carousel, coaching, figstats