UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Womens Soccer

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-20-2017, 11:40 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Cool UNC-Wilmington 2 Dayton 0

Had a chance to watch the videocast of this match as well.

We had a chance to give ourselves a big dose of confidence around the 15min mark, but A. Kiehl had her PK stopped and that kept the game scoreless.

We had a few better moments in the first half than during the entire ECU game. One buildup was about 7-8 passes, worked the middle to the touch line, and resulted in a cross. But, that was about it as far as any sustained tactical push. UNCW did not dominate the run of play quite as much on us as ECU did, but they still dominated. After about the second or third pass, we are almost guaranteed to cough up the ball. Its about as long as we can routinely possess it at this time. Once teams pressure us, we kick the ball away b/c there is no confidence w/balls at our feet.

Second half, ECU got a PK (legit call) and converted it to go up 1-0. They added an insurance goal a bit later after a ball hit the crossbar and they redirected it in -- almost a carbon copy of the game-winner ECU scored on us. Once again we were slow on the clear and not tough enough to force a lateral ball w/pressure.

UNCW was picked 6th in the CAA I think and based on what I saw that seems right. They had 16 newcomers on the team and very few upperclassmen. And they played down a player in the last 15 minutes of the match due to a red card and still controlled the run of play. Never felt like we were up a man. Disheartening.

Kiehl has been entirely removed from the field at striker -- not b/c of the opposing tight marking but because there is no quality service to her out of the midfield. Errant slop shoved forward is not service -- thats a turnover. She hasn't received a single diagonal/back door to her feet or cutting angle in 2 exhibitions and 2 regular season games and I dont see that changing any time soon. Every forward has to dig some balls out. Kiehl is no different. But none of this even qualifies. These are undiggable and unwinnable as most are directly to opposing defenders, the goalkeeper, or 20yds past the end line.

I would give Kiehl one more weekend at forward and if the midfield continues to waste her talents, I see no other option but to move her to central MF. This is a drastic move and not ideal b/c Kiehl is personally best served as high attacking player. But she's absent from the game up there and needs more touches. Your best player has to have the most touches -- by hook or by crook. Putting her in the MF gets her more touches and puts the run of play more in front of her. Plus shes the best passer on the team and right now we need possession and passing out of the MF more than we need shots on goal because w/o the former, the latter is impossible. She's also a pretty good ball digger and we are getting butched in the center circle on almost every junk play b/c of slow anticipation, slow feet, and lack of spatial awareness on the first touch that leads to a turnover.

Biggest downside is she's undersized at central mid. She's a lightweight unlike a Waters, Leedom, or O'Malley. But former MF Alexis Garcia was a lightweight and was effective. Katie Lowstuter was effective ages ago. You can get things done if you're quick and have ball skills.

You surrender 5 goals over a weekend and you're not going anywhere. Yeah we had a couple chances -- an OT game, missed PK etc -- but in the run of play we've been more or less overwhelmed for about 170 of 193 minutes and could have easily surrendered a cpl more goals as well so that knife cuts both ways. Yes it was hot weather but its hot for everybody.

The other wedge is 3-4 players are continually giving up possession nearly every time they touch the ball which leaves only 5-6 field players you can feed an honest ball to. Its a big field. Thats not enough.

One last area we need to flip the switch is hustle plays. Again, habitual offenders have a great seat to watch the game. Balls just feet away are treated like miles away. When beaten, recovery and re-engagement to cover a mistake and take personal responsibility is not there. Overall this is not the work rate we are used to seeing in the program -- even from those lower on the skills chart. We can say "yeah but its early in the season," but its early in the season for everyone else too.

I'm not blaming Golz. Hes in a tough spot and inherited much of the roster. If its me -- and its not -- I focus on effort and work rate. A kid isnt going to develop Pele' skills over a week of practice. But everyone can raise the volume on their level of sweat. I focus on ball-winning and pace of play. Worry about sustained possession and buildup later. At least start winning personal battles again by outfighting and outlegging people. Take pride in what you can control in the 5yd circle around yourself on the field. This kind of stuff is contagious -- both when you're getting whipped and when you're digging out every ball. We start winning a few more of these and it could snowball into something very positive.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (08-21-2017), NorthernFlyer (08-21-2017), Whacker (08-21-2017)
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2017, 10:53 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Looking at the results so far it appears the A-10 coaches have over estimated out level of play. A lot can happen but a long season may be in store.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:41 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Will be interesting to see how Golz handles the adversity and what buttons he pushes. I think he's a good coach and will do great things. Passing judgment is not for the present.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 08-21-2017, 03:24 PM
Academy Doolie

NorthernFlyer will become famous soon enoughNorthernFlyer will become famous soon enough
If its me -- and its not -- I focus on effort and work rate. A kid isnt going to develop Pele' skills over a week of practice. But everyone can raise the volume on their level of sweat. I focus on ball-winning and pace of play. Worry about sustained possession and buildup later. At least start winning personal battles again by outfighting and outlegging people. Take pride in what you can control in the 5yd circle around yourself on the field. This kind of stuff is contagious -- both when you're getting whipped and when you're digging out every ball. We start winning a few more of these and it could snowball into something very positive.[/QUOTE]

I remember a game against Central Michigan in 2012 with a Dayton lineup that included Williams, Libertin, Campbell, Waters and Garcia among others. We dominated the opening half and were up 2-1 very late in the game.

Central Michigan, for what they lacked in talent, made up for it with an incredible work rate. They had about 15 or 16 players that played in the game and everyone of them just kept running and working and pressuring the ball. We were exhausted and they scored three late goals to beat us 4-2. By the end it looked like we were standing still out there and their pace never relented. They beat a more talented team by working them to death and eventually wearing them out. I am sure you can still go back in this forum to the game log and read about it.

It is a perfect example of what you mentioned in the quote above. There is never an excuse for not working hard enough. Make the opposition play at a pace they are not comfortable playing at and you will be able to compete, and maybe even beat, a lot of teams particularly of the caliber we saw on the weekend. I watched the first half yesterday and what stood out wasn't necessarily the lack of talent but the fact that the work rate was not where it needs to be at this level to compete. I, like you, think that should be easy to fix because it just involves effort.

Let's hope that starts next weekend and continues.