Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 09:05 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

joeybaloney is a splendid one to beholdjoeybaloney is a splendid one to beholdjoeybaloney is a splendid one to beholdjoeybaloney is a splendid one to beholdjoeybaloney is a splendid one to beholdjoeybaloney is a splendid one to beholdjoeybaloney is a splendid one to behold
We have no chance to beat Wichita St.

That's not my opinion, but it does however seem to be the opinion of nearly every "expert" I have watched or listened to in the last 24 hours. Clark Kellogg is the only one I have heard say we can win.

I am sure it has happened before, but I don't recall a scenario where a 7 seed is such an overwhelming underdog to a 10 seed. Hope Archie really plays this up to the team. We are always better when we are the hunter and not the hunted.

Can't wait till Friday, the anticipation is killing me.
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2017, 09:08 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Doug Gottlieb of all people also picks the Flyers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2017, 09:11 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,360 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
But he's an idiot, so I never take what he says as having any intelligent value. He just hates WSU more than us. Who knew?
Old 03-13-2017, 09:12 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2017, 09:52 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

joeybaloney is a splendid one to beholdjoeybaloney is a splendid one to beholdjoeybaloney is a splendid one to beholdjoeybaloney is a splendid one to beholdjoeybaloney is a splendid one to beholdjoeybaloney is a splendid one to beholdjoeybaloney is a splendid one to behold
Pete Gillen also picked UD, just saw that.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to joeybaloney For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-14-2017), UDBaby (03-14-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 09:53 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,325 Times in 444 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Great... now all we need is for Charles Barkley to pick us !
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-13-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-14-2017), Fudd (03-14-2017), moville (03-14-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 10:22 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Of all people??

Doug Gottlieb is always railing on Wichita State. I don't just mean this year. But, always. I have no idea why, but he is.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:27 PM
2nd Lieutenant

OSUdaytonFAN will become famous soon enough
Was watching the special called "the experts" on ESPNU earlier today and 2 of the 4 on the panel picked UD to win.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:29 PM
Staff Writer

Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
If you happen to catch the "Katz Korner" bracket special on ESPN, don't hold your breath waiting for the WSU/UD discussion. They say it will be a good game but mostly talk about the Shockers' seeding and one of the panel picks Wichita.

Don't waste your timer.
Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 10:37 PM
Major

Odrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud of
It all depends on which Dayton team shows up. Archie hit the nail on the head. Ever since VCU win the team has laid back some. Wich St is a little davidsonish in that they can extend us on the perimeter and also use their center to back to the basket us inside. It is dependent on the perimeter defense for UD. How can they extend the pressure. KD, Cooke and company have to trust the assignments, And we must rebound.

For what its worth... The shockers no way in hell should be a 10 seed. If anything I have said Dayton and WSU should be switched. But I hate that the committee continues to pair non-Big 5 teams in elimination games.
Mad Props to Odrab14 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 11:00 PM
Academy Doolie

WheatShock is a jewel in the roughWheatShock is a jewel in the roughWheatShock is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
Of all people??

Doug Gottlieb is always railing on Wichita State. I don't just mean this year. But, always. I have no idea why, but he is.
I'm not sure what his problem is but the feeling is mutual. Gottleib or Goatlube as he is referred to on Shockernet would not be welcome in Wichita.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:25 AM
Major

ScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud of
As a longtime fan of the program, the mood and the sense of dread on this board completely amazes me. We are the better program. We come from a better conference. We have the NCAA experience. We have the battle tested Seniors. We have the best fans in the country. We have the best young coach in the nation. We are supposed to beat WSU, we should beat WSU, and we will beat WSU. I don't understand why more people aren't talking about us beating UK on our way to the Sweet 16. We are going to win people, get over it.

Scotty out.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ScottyExpress For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-14-2017), UDBaby (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 12:53 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ScottyExpress View Post
As a longtime fan of the program, the mood and the sense of dread on this board completely amazes me. We are the better program. We come from a better conference. We have the NCAA experience. We have the battle tested Seniors. We have the best fans in the country. We have the best young coach in the nation. We are supposed to beat WSU, we should beat WSU, and we will beat WSU. I don't understand why more people aren't talking about us beating UK on our way to the Sweet 16. We are going to win people, get over it.

Scotty out.
If we could erase the last 2 games from our memories, I think you'd see more of that. So let's just all convince ourselves the Flyers beat the Flyers those games and pretend they don't exist. I think we'd see a lot more positive posts about our chances of winning. Might be a blessing in disguise.

I love how opponents that aren't familiar with our team always say "We have to stop Scoochie.". Nobody stops Scoochie, other than Scoochie. He's going to get the ball up court, he's going to pass it to a teammate, he's going to shoot when he's open(which if the opponent wants to focus on that point, I'd love it because then Cooke will have a field day). Depending on the strengths WSU shows, I think we're going to get a lot of either Cunningham and Pollard on the court at the same time or Crosby and Scooch at the same time. I predict the former.

I think the key to this game is if Darrell Davis plays and can keep from running into parked mack trucks, we win.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
cobra8u (03-14-2017), flyercasey (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 01:06 AM
Major

ScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
If we could erase the last 2 games from our memories, I think you'd see more of that. So let's just all convince ourselves the Flyers beat the Flyers those games and pretend they don't exist. I think we'd see a lot more positive posts about our chances of winning. Might be a blessing in disguise.

I love how opponents that aren't familiar with our team always say "We have to stop Scoochie.". Nobody stops Scoochie, other than Scoochie. He's going to get the ball up court, he's going to pass it to a teammate, he's going to shoot when he's open(which if the opponent wants to focus on that point, I'd love it because then Cooke will have a field day). Depending on the strengths WSU shows, I think we're going to get a lot of either Cunningham and Pollard on the court at the same time or Crosby and Scooch at the same time. I predict the former.

I think the key to this game is if Darrell Davis plays and can keep from running into parked mack trucks, we win.
The great thing about this team is we don't have to rely on any one key of the game to win, someone always steps up. Sure, we lost two games in a row with very little at stake. We are either on the verge of something great happening or Archie and the team is going to mail it in. I'm very much counting on the former. I was ecstatic about our win in the Tourney against OSU and our trek to the Elite Eight. We are now in a dream scenario of knocking off UK on our way to a Sweet 16. Wichita Smitchita. Go Flyers!
Old 03-14-2017, 05:44 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Charles Barkley might be the worst NCAA Tournament analyst who has ever graced the studio. He analyzes the college game as if it were the NBA. Turrible!

He is entertaining but has no clue about college basketball.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (03-14-2017), Flyer 86 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
Charles Barkley might be the worst NCAA Tournament analyst who has ever graced the studio. He analyzes the college game as if it were the NBA. Turrible!

He is entertaining but has no clue about college basketball.
Charles is not a basketball analyst on any level. He is simply a character on TV who says things that are funny or controversial. He is a character just like you see on any TV show and is there to entertain people. Die hard basketball fans need to remember that CBS/Turner are trying to entertain the people who only watch college basketball for the next three weeks because they filled out a bracket for their office pool.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill202 (03-15-2017), CT Flyer (03-14-2017), Figgie123 (03-14-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 10:22 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
I'm not sure Charles could even get the pronunciation of "UD" correctly..
Old 03-14-2017, 01:46 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

moville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant future
I don't trust Gottlieb. He knows his basketball . . . but he too closely resembles Anthony Weiner.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:25 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
For what it's worth, Vegas line has moved from Wichita +7 to +5.5 - I expect it to go down more by Friday morning.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:38 PM
Captain

CJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud of
I've watched a few Wichita State and other MVC games over the past few days. Wichita State is pretty good but the level of basketball played in the MVC looks to be more Horizon league level than A10 level. We will be the best team they have played in 2017. By far. They have talent but they haven't been tested for a while. Will be an interesting game. Gut tells me we win but my gut always tells me we win. Watching them play doesn't give me the sense of dread I experienced in past years wondering how we are going to guard this guy or that guy. They are beatable if we decide to play smart hard D.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:44 PM
Staff Writer

Originally Posted by steve View Post
I'm not sure Charles could even get the pronunciation of "UD" correctly..
If I recall correctly, during the Elite 8 run he referred to Dayton as "that team" because he couldn't remember who we were.

Chuck ain't the brightest star in the universe but he is a lot of fun. Just don't expect him to drop a ton of knowledge on you about any of the teams in the NCAA--that's not his role.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:07 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CJ2etc View Post
We will be the best team they have played in 2017. By far.
Only if we decide to take off the 5 inch pumps and miniskirts of the last 3 weeks. Even in the wins over Davidson and VCU, teams were mauling us physically and emasculating our manhood. We have 3 more days to rediscover it or the music abruptly stops.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-14-2017), moville (03-14-2017), The Fly (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 04:19 PM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
remember that game against the Bonnies when we made 14 threes??
and won by a ton?
Old 03-14-2017, 04:48 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
It's laughable. You would think we are a 15-seed playing a 2-seed. Let's kick their azzes for fs sake.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
CJ2etc (03-14-2017), rollo (03-14-2017), Smitty10 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 05:28 PM
Captain

CJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Only if we decide to take off the 5 inch pumps and miniskirts of the last 3 weeks. Even in the wins over Davidson and VCU, teams were mauling us physically and emasculating our manhood. We have 3 more days to rediscover it or the music abruptly stops.
We would still be at the top of the MVC.