Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 06-13-2014, 12:08 PM
Captain

Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
New Logo - Coming soon

Word on the street (Keifaber, that is), we are going to be getting a new Dayton Flyers logo thanks to Nike and friends. Please use this thread to post your best ideas on what it should (or should not) be....let the chaos begin.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Justin For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (06-13-2014), FlyerinChicago (06-14-2014), hawkoooo (06-13-2014), Iguomaniac (06-13-2014)
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2014, 12:19 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I would think that something with UD on it while incorporating a picture of Rudy would be the wat to go.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
First things first!

Word on the street (Keifaber, that is), we are going to be getting a new Dayton Flyers logo thanks to Nike and friends. Please use this thread to post your best ideas on what it should (or should not) be....let the chaos begin.
Well depending upon using the full name or a shortened version (i.e. UD) it has to include the following:

The University of Dayton

or

tUD

anything else is OK with me
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer69ers (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Captain

Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
I think it is just the Dayton Flyers logo (athletic), not the University logo or seal.

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
Well depending upon using the full name or a shortened version (i.e. UD) it has to include the following:

The University of Dayton

or

tUD

Old 06-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
I would think that something with UD on it while incorporating a picture of Rudy would be the wat to go.
My thought exactly and hopefully via a lot of winning one day the image of Rudy will be the only thing needed to know its the University of Dayton.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Captain

UDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant future
This is interesting, I think a new logo is a great move. I'd rather not be known for the one we have now, the Dayton Flyers one spelled out just looks childish. If they are planning on keeping the name spelled out I hope they make a change. I'd really like to see them use the UD letters as the primary logo but tweak the style of the letters a bit, make them sharper. Hopefully a new logo will lead to new jerseys. Personally, I think our jerseys need some serious work.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDFlyer23 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerinChicago (06-14-2014), Gazoo (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Personally would like to see them go back to a more collegiate looking logo. Simple DAYTON. I always liked the the interlocking U and D at Center Court.

And lets bring back the Columbia blue!
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NorthwestFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyer2003 (06-13-2014), FLYER5 (06-13-2014), FlyerinChicago (06-14-2014), UDGutter2 (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 01:07 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Please no Rudy. Please no WordArt.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:09 PM
Captain

Preliminary report: I was told that it is a D with some sort of points/flames/spikes coming out of the left side of the D to make it look like it is going fast....
Mad Props to Justin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Iguomaniac (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Captain

UDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Preliminary report: I was told that it is a D with some sort of points/flames/spikes coming out of the left side of the D to make it look like it is going fast....
I sincerely hope this isn't true....

Why can't we just have a good ole' fashioned UD? It's University of Dayton not just Dayton
Mad Props to UDFlyer23 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerinChicago (06-14-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Captain

soccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to behold
Tarpolion Rubber looking floors anyone? After beating DePaul it gave Donoher that extra bounce all the way into the tunnel!
Mad Props to soccergod For This Totally Excellent Post:
NorthwestFlyer (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
When fully flexed after a bone-crushing workout, my biceps are perfectly shaped like a 'D'... with a couple point/flame/spike tattoos I could become a living/breathing promo for tUD!

And with a little more creativity, you could shadow an E8 using my forearms and shoulders...

Just sayin'
Old 06-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Captain

flyer2003 is a jewel in the roughflyer2003 is a jewel in the roughflyer2003 is a jewel in the roughflyer2003 is a jewel in the rough
I would love to go back to a more classic look and to incorporate the Columbia blue. I think UD's logo is pretty bad. This description, however, sounds terrible.

From what I understand when UC tweaked its "C-paw", this kind of thing is no small undertaking -- every single place the logo appears has to be changed.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyer2003 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (06-13-2014), NorthwestFlyer (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Major

Gem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant future
Thank God. It's time to make the jump out of the 90's. Hey, maybe Nike will hook us up with some better basketball kits too. We have to have the worst uniforms in the league.

Number one, they don't fit. The jersey's are way too big. Two, the fonts and colors look really dated. An updated logo and uniform will make me very happy. You make one elite 8 run and Nike hooks us up.

PS It's time for a navy blue and a darker red please.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gem City For This Totally Excellent Post:
bcross (06-13-2014), BOF02 (06-13-2014), m21eagle45 (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 01:18 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
New logo will not be Rudy Flyer or Wright B Flyer or 1980s. Much more modern
Old 06-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
go to the dance every year and get a few more elite 8s and nobody will care what your logo looks like. This is all silly!
Go Flyers!
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (06-13-2014), Figgie123 (06-13-2014), Flyer 86 (06-13-2014), Flyer69ers (06-13-2014), jack72 (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 01:26 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not a fan of the Columbia blue color as a primary focus, but I trust the spiked "D" is a joke. No one in their right mind would do that.

I've hated the spelled out letter logo from the time we spent a million $ (?) on it. One of my college buddies could have created a dozen better logos with chalk on a sidewalk on a lazy afternoon.

No Rudy Flyer please. Sure it's kind of nostalgic to us, but to potential future fans it's hokey.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:27 PM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold
We've needed a new logo for a while now. The UD "Double Dare" logo and the Dayton Flyers wordart are early 90's style graphic design. I kind of like the old school interlocking U&D. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Expect a fire sale on merchandise with the old logo at the Flyer Spirit store.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Iguomaniac For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-26-2014), flyer2003 (06-13-2014), NorthwestFlyer (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 01:32 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by soccergod View Post
Tarpolion Rubber looking floors anyone? After beating DePaul it gave Donoher that extra bounce all the way into the tunnel!
Ha! No artificial hardwoods please.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:41 PM
Major

Gem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant future
Well, I think it's safe to say after reading a few of these posts that no matter what the new logo looks like it will be met with mixed reviews. You won't make everyone happy and honestly, you probably aren't going to make anyone truly happy. Having said that, the current logo is tired and dated and needs to go.

If you did a focus group with the older alumni and fans, you would most likely end up with the interlocking UD and the traditional Columbia blue and red. The younger fans have a much different idea of what is cool.

When one says "collegiate look" that can mean very different things to people depending on your age. Why I think the traditional collegiate look is Notre Dame and maybe Indiana basketball my son thinks of UC or Oregon.

One way to gauge the success of the new logo is to ask a 15 to 25 year old guy if he likes it. That's the target market gentlemen. They buy the tickets, hats, and the jerseys. That's the fan base you need to develop for the next generation of UD season ticket holders. Us old timers in the lower bowl don't really matter. We're locked in for life now and they know it. They could change the colors to pink and you'd still see 10,000 loyal life long Flyer fans sitting in the lower bowl.

Last edited by Gem City; 06-13-2014 at 02:45 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gem City For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-13-2014), Flyer69ers (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Major General

NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
I Hope!

OK Discussion are on going related to a new Logo.

I hope the people on 'the committee' are not the same people that selected (or are still selecting [take your pick]) the changes to the intro music

2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (06-16-2014), rollo (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 02:01 PM

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I have seen the design sketches.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (06-16-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute

That UIC logo looks like it is going fast
Old 06-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Captain

flyer2003 is a jewel in the roughflyer2003 is a jewel in the roughflyer2003 is a jewel in the roughflyer2003 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Gem City View Post

If you did a focus group with the older alumni and fans, you would most likely end up with the interlocking UD and the traditional Columbia blue and red. The younger alumni and fans have much different idea of what is cool.
There may be more agreement than you realize. Most young alumni I know want the retro look -- just see the BillyTees clothing.

Everyone dislikes the current logos -- they'd really have to botch it bad for it not to be an improvement.

Any word on the what the timeline is on something like this? Does it take months? Does it take 1-2 years? I have zero idea.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:11 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Was this one of them?

My hair is a little longer but I approved it anyway....
Old 06-13-2014, 02:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDFlyer23 View Post
I sincerely hope this isn't true....

Why can't we just have a good ole' fashioned UD? It's University of Dayton not just Dayton
I can hear the chants now?

We are D

We are D

We are D
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (06-14-2014), UDFlyer23 (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Captain

31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough

As a general concept i liked these when i saw them a few years ago...
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 31770 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Go-UD-Go (07-18-2014), NorthwestFlyer (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Brigadier General

Jack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to all
Will we be happy or sad with the end product?

IMHO - there's nothing wrong with the current design. Fixing something that is not broke
Old 06-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Major

Well Chris, what are your thoughts? Is this an improvement? Are we talking a retro look or just a tweak of the current design?
Old 06-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Please consider a logo with the word 'DAYTON' in it rather than 'UD' or else people will think the logo is for the university of Dallas or the university of Detroit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2014, 02:51 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyer2003 View Post
Everyone dislikes the current logos -- they'd really have to botch it bad for it not to be an improvement.
Not everyone. A "D" without a "U" would be stupid, and not an improvement.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
I heard the same thing. I've also heard that the administration doesn't think a "block" UD is the way to go since a number of schools are known as the University of D.... (UD - Denver, Delaware, Detroit, and even the University of Disney!) I'm thinking along the lines of this:

Replace the P with a D.

Last edited by jumpin' joe; 06-13-2014 at 02:55 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jumpin' joe For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-13-2014), Gem City (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 02:54 PM

Thanked 6,126 Times in 4,171 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Regardless of what they do with the logo, IMO the next thing they need to address is merchandise distribution/availability. I think it is virtually impossible to find UD gear at sports stores/shopping malls outside of the Dayton metro area.

But, I frequently see gear for Ohio State, UC, Xavier, Louisville, UK, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, and Notre Dame in midwestern markets.

I would hope that UD gear can at least start becoming more available in Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, and Toledo.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gem City (06-13-2014), Sticks 'n Stearns (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Major

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Regardless of what they do with the logo, IMO the next thing they need to address is merchandise distribution/availability. I think it is virtually impossible to find UD gear at sports stores/shopping malls outside of the Dayton metro area.

But, I frequently see gear for Ohio State, UC, Xavier, Louisville, UK, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, and Notre Dame in midwestern markets.

I would hope that UD gear can at least start becoming more available in Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, and Toledo.
UD has always had tight control on who and where UD merchandise can be sold. They need to loosen the grip a bit.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Major

The University of Dayton

or

tUD

You want to make national news and tweak OSU fans again? Just add THE to the logo and everyone will be talking about us for another week nationally. That is too funny NJFlyers71.
Mad Props to Gem City For This Totally Excellent Post:
NJFlyr71 (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Major General

There may be more agreement than you realize. Most young alumni I know want the retro look -- just see the BillyTees clothing.

Any word on the what the timeline is on something like this? Does it take months? Does it take 1-2 years? I have zero idea.
Oh Trust me. Yes they CAN!

Originally Posted by 31770 View Post

Those shorts look like hawaiian tee's for legs. Yuck
Old 06-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,325 Times in 444 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
I'd like to see some kind of a cool looking jet flying out of the red Flyers logo
(maybe with Dayton spelled out underneath the Flyers logo)
Old 06-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Gem City View Post
UD has always had tight control on who and where UD merchandise can be sold. They need to loosen the grip a bit.
Is the merchandise available in CHINA? Just asking!
Old 06-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Major

I would love to go back to a more classic look and to incorporate the Columbia blue. I think UD's logo is pretty bad. This description, however, sounds terrible.

From what I understand when UC tweaked its "C-paw", this kind of thing is no small undertaking -- every single place the logo appears has to be changed.
It might not be a small undertaking, but it is long over do. The current logo is now exactly 20 years old. They introduced the current logo at midnight madness in 1994 when we joined the freaking A-10 and hired Oliver Purnell. How many times have Miami, UC, Xavier and our fellow A-10 schools changed their look in that time frame? Heck in 1994 Wright State might have still been using the Viking guy. They've had two different wolf designs since then. UD has been behind the curve in this area for a long time now.

Last edited by Gem City; 06-13-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Old 06-13-2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by jumpin' joe View Post
Replace the P with a D.
Replace the P with my bicep!!!!
Old 06-13-2014, 03:24 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
they'd really have to botch it bad for it not to be an improvement.
Oh Trust me. Yes they CAN!
They CAN, and odds are they WILL.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Major

Let's hope they get this right because with the pace at which things change at UD, my grandkids will be attending UD before we see another logo.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by 31770 View Post

These are pretty good. I like the winged logo and using it a little more subtly with a more traditional typeface across the front. Also like the use of the three school colors. The winged look is "in".
Mad Props to NorthwestFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
There may be more agreement than you realize. Most young alumni I know want the retro look -- just see the BillyTees clothing . . .
I have a BillyTees Basketball shirt (women's - it's awesome)
I get compliments on it wherever I wear it

Light blue with red "old school" interlocking "UD"

this one: http://www.billy-tees.com/products/V...Ladies%29.html

(ps I am a UD "69 grad" and so is my husband)
(My daughter asked for one also - another UD grad - 2004)
Old 06-13-2014, 08:57 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
I like the Road reds a lot.

the white home shorts not so much

Love the size of the Eagle on the Donoher shirt, front and back. Nice touch. The oversized eagle for primary log, not so sure. You're def in the ballpark overall in my humble opinion
Old 06-13-2014, 08:58 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
current logo and lettering is so dated and boring BTW.

Big YAWN
Old 06-13-2014, 10:36 PM

SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Logos and branding are for several audiences. 1) recruits 2) non Dayton fans to recognize the school (non affiliated TV audiences) 3) Dayton fans.

I put these in order of importance. You can't please everyone. however if the logo is more pleasing to recruits than current Dayton fans. Face it UD fans will support the team regardless of the logo.

I think recruits will like the faster sleeker new logo. I am just concerned about brand confusion.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:17 AM
Major

singlet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the rough
I have wanted a complete revamp in logo/branding for years. But now that it is becoming a reality, I am absolutely terrified about what the admin is going to do with it. The preliminary reports are not encouraging. The last thing we need is having the guy who was a part of the last logo debacle (TK) directing this effort. I really wish he would have road into the sunset after the run. It is sad when a small shop like Billy Tees can run circles around the official merchandise.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:35 AM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
As the biggest complainer of our logo on this board, I am ecstatic. Keep it simple. UD like we have it and Dayton on jerseys. And no, people won't think of other "D" universities when they see UD consistently. Keep a high profile team, and WE will be the only UD in brand awareness. Nobody mistakes North Dakota with Notre Dame. No flames, no swishes, just a classic look please.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:38 AM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
When fully flexed after a bone-crushing workout, my biceps are perfectly shaped like a 'D'... with a couple point/flame/spike tattoos I could become a living/breathing promo for tUD!

And with a little more creativity, you could shadow an E8 using my forearms and shoulders...

Just sayin'
What's with you and overly muscled men? I really don't get it ( for years now)
Mad Props to FlyerinChicago For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (06-16-2014)
Old 06-14-2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by FlyerinChicago View Post
What's with you and overly muscled men? I really don't get it ( for years now)
It's difficult to understand anything you don't have...I get it.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by FlyerinChicago View Post
As the biggest complainer of our logo on this board, I am ecstatic. Keep it simple. UD like we have it and Dayton on jerseys. And no, people won't think of other "D" universities when they see UD consistently. Keep a high profile team, and WE will be the only UD in brand awareness. Nobody mistakes North Dakota with Notre Dame. No flames, no swishes, just a classic look please.
But apparently there are going to be flames (or something similar) and no "U," just a "D." How would you like that? Yes, it could get worse.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:54 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I can hear the chants now?

We are D

We are D

We are D
What's going to make this "D" work is repeated trips to the NCAA's. If not for that, it's going to be:

We are d.

PS- while the interlocking UD was pretty catchy, that logo probably took more explanation to onlookers than any other. Folks trying to figure it out tried to turn me upside down.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:02 AM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Is there reason for hope?

Tim, Dan, all others in the athletic department know how imporant it is to get this right. They are smart people. I've got to believe that this process and resulting decisions have been though through with great care.

(I hope.)
Old 06-14-2014, 10:12 AM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
So a logo UD can be Univ of Dayton or Univ of Delaware or Univ of Dallas or Univ of Denver or Univ of Detroit but a logo D only can't be confused with all the same schools?
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (06-14-2014)
Old 06-14-2014, 10:40 AM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Know thyself...

(Before commenting, why is the viewing and reply format for this thread different from the others?)

There are very, very few college logos that are recognized away from their regions. Notre Dame comes to mind.....there are a few others.

Harvard is, arguably, the most famous, most prestigious, best known school in the world. Walk around Dayton with the Harvard "H" on your cap or other gear and see how many recognize it.

Go to the A10 web site....the logos of 13 schools appear at the top. Some are nice, most just OK. But only two or three would be recogized outside their regions. Interestly, one of those is ours because Dayton is spelled out.

UD will never have recognition outside its area of influence. What we need a logo that looks nice and doesn't give up what is good about the logo we have.

What we must not do is take a step backwards.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Captain

I finally had a successful thread! Go D!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Justin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Ready Action (06-16-2014), rollo (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 01:06 PM
Captain

Does anyone have an idea of when they are planning on releasing the new logo?
Old 06-16-2014, 01:41 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
(Before commenting, why is the viewing and reply format for this thread different from the others?)

There are very, very few college logos that are recognized away from their regions. Notre Dame comes to mind.....there are a few others.

Harvard is, arguably, the most famous, most prestigious, best known school in the world. Walk around Dayton with the Harvard "H" on your cap or other gear and see how many recognize it.

Go to the A10 web site....the logos of 13 schools appear at the top. Some are nice, most just OK. But only two or three would be recogized outside their regions. Interestly, one of those is ours because Dayton is spelled out.

UD will never have recognition outside its area of influence. What we need a logo that looks nice and doesn't give up what is good about the logo we have.

What we must not do is take a step backwards.
I was thinking along the same lines. I live in an area where the UD logo is recognized. Frankly, I don't think the UD and Dayton Flyers logos are that bad. They look real good on an Elite 8 shirt.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (06-16-2014), Go-UD-Go (07-18-2014), longtimefan (06-16-2014), m21eagle45 (06-16-2014), UACFlyer (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Major General

Vitaminwater fans are seething over recent changes to their beloved sports drink.

Quietly last month, the company began swapping out some sugar in Vitaminwater and replacing it with artificial sweetener in an aim to make the drink seem more healthful. The reformulated beverages, which contain stevia, are labeled "naturally sweetened."

The new version of the drink, produced by Coca-Cola subsidiary Glacéau ....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5480714.html

I remain a little concerned about the potential change to the UD Logo. There are numerous instances in the business world about changing BRANDING and that is what this move is.

Vitaminwater is the latest. Please note owned by Coke which in the early 80's (IIRC) did a major snafu I mean MAJOR SNAFU. They changed the formula for Coke and it was so bad they spent considerable time and $$$ to put it all back the way it was before the change. They even renamed it "Classic Coke" . Some people even claimed after the change back that it STILL did not taste like the old formula.

Ford was another example when they dropped the Taurus nameplate for the Ford 500 in 2007. Now it didn't take long for someone at Ford to realize that trading out the Taurus name for a little used nameplate from the 60-80's (?) was having to reintroduce everyone to a new name brand. Wisely they returned to the Taurus name and up-graded the platform while using the well regarded brand name.

There are marketing courses and case histories where these re-branding efforts are good (bad) examples of shooting ones' foot off to "improve something".

I await with anticipation that UD does this with great results. As I posted earlier in this thread ..... the BB game music and intro changes were a catastrophe .... lets hope that history does NOT repeat!

I vote for another E8 Run as the only repeat I'm willing to stand up for! Go Flyers!
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-18-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 04:33 PM

Thanked 2,208 Times in 974 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
I worked for Pioneer Electronics when the company changed the logo from the classic blue ohm and tuning fork logo to the current red "Pioneer" logo in the late 90s. The decision came from HQ in Japan, so we had no input. We just suffered the pain of changing every part, box, label, manual, etc that contained the old logo.
It painful and expensive. After a decade or so, I suppose the new logo sin't so bad, but at the time, a lot of people hated it.
I'm sure there will be plenty to not like about whatever is presented.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:23 PM

I've seen the new logo and I think it will appeal much better to recruits than the old logo. I think the logo portrays a faster sleeker look to it. If a logo change helps our recruiting image, I am in favor of it. In this competitive college basketball environment you need every advantage you can get.

That said, the new logo may not appeal to audiences who are used to the old logo. Just as I don't listen to the same music as recruits.

My biggest concern is that the logo is way to similar to the one used by the Philly hockey team. I am not a hockey fan and yet I recognized the similarity.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-18-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 06:51 PM

Recruits, plus,...

1. I can't believe that recruits give a hoot about a school's logo.

2. Less than a year ago UConn changed its beloved huskie dog logo....one it had for many-many years. Few liked the new dog...and there was plenty of squawking. But, after a few months everyone embraced the new look.

Actually, it's quite nice. So was the old logo...but the new one caught on PDQ.

So expect some complaining,...plenty of complaining. But, be prepared to wait a few months until the new look settles in. (People hate chnage.)
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-18-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 06:59 PM

Recruits care about logos. It is what they will see themselves wear when they play. Players make a big deal about shoes. There is a fashion part of this equation.

It gives a first impression for recruits just the like the front door does in real estate.

As I understand, the coaching staff wants a new logo. That tells me enough.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-18-2014), UDEE79 (06-18-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 08:18 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Nashville_Flyer is a name known to allNashville_Flyer is a name known to allNashville_Flyer is a name known to allNashville_Flyer is a name known to allNashville_Flyer is a name known to allNashville_Flyer is a name known to all
Is a picture of this logo going to leak sometime soon? Or can it only be seen in a SCIF somewhere at Wright Patt?
Mad Props to Nashville_Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (06-17-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
No matter where I go with a "Dayton Flyers" on my shirts or jackets, no matter how childish it may look, someone says hello. Not ever UD grads - people who were routing for us in tourney. Please no Rudy
Old 06-17-2014, 09:19 AM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
A Viper loaded for bear. Nuff said.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:34 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,129 Posts
Bat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond repute
IMHO, the "UD" logo looks bloated and a little "cartoonish" and is ripe for change (BTW, I'm not referring to the way "Flyers" or "Dayton" appears on our uni's, but the letters "UD".) As mentioned in other Posts, not everyone is going to like what comes down the pike, that's human nature, but let's hope it's got a sleeker, more serious look and feel to it.

BTW, UAC, can't UConn invest in a better costume for it's Husky mascot to wear...it looks a little tired and worn out with a Raggedy Ann and Andy look to it.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Captain

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
I've seen the new logo and I think it will appeal much better to recruits than the old logo. I think the logo portrays a faster sleeker look to it. If a logo change helps our recruiting image, I am in favor of it. In this competitive college basketball environment you need every advantage you can get.

That said, the new logo may not appeal to audiences who are used to the old logo. Just as I don't listen to the same music as recruits.

My biggest concern is that the logo is way to similar to the one used by the Philly hockey team. I am not a hockey fan and yet I recognized the similarity.
This description concerns me, but I'm a fan of classic looking logos. Anyway, to ask the questions that's been asked several times now -- any clue on when this might happen?
Old 06-17-2014, 11:33 AM
1st Lieutenant

PinehurstFlyer will become famous soon enough
Roosevelt Chapman, when asked about why he came to UD, said (to paraphrase) " I thought I looked good in a Dayton uniform". A logo is part of the uniform. And I'll take a player that is part Rosie any day.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:32 PM

Have no clue about time frame. Changing brands is a long process with lots of details.

The P logo displayed by Jumping Joe is very similar.

The goal of the new logo is to look faster and more sleek.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:09 PM

The goal of the new logo is to look faster and more sleek.
I prefer stronger and more intimidating.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:52 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
1. I can't believe that recruits give a hoot about a school's logo.
I'm sorry, I don't think you could be any more wrong.

Ask Les Wexner if there is any detail too small to worry about when it comes to the marketing of your product. I was once talking to a security guard at Limited Brands headquarters and the guy told me he once walked through the lobby at 11:00 at night and saw Les rearranging the furniture in the reception area. He didn't like the environment created by the layout. I was told that's fairly typical behavior for him. Everything is about creating the perfect marketing experience.

If you're not FANATICAL about marketing your product your competition will be.

So do I think our logo is more important than our stadium, our fans, our intro music? No, I think it's ALL important.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (06-18-2014), Flyer 86 (06-18-2014), Justin (06-18-2014), SeasonTicketFan (06-18-2014), Tony T 71 (07-18-2014), UDEE79 (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Captain

Larry Hansgen tweeted this earlier today:

"Project coming to fruition. Exciting announcement in August!
@DaytonTrueTeam #TrueTeam"

I'm assuming he's talking about the re-brand so I guess we will see it revealed in a little over a month.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
I prefer stronger and more intimidating.

Basketball is not the WWF. yet...
Old 06-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

CraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

What's the World Wildlife Federation have to do with it?

On a serious note: all comments have a D replacing the current UD. Any idea what, if anything, is replacing the angled block "Dayton Flyers"? I wouldn't think they would change one and not the other. And I like having a main and a secondary logo.

Last edited by CraSch; 06-18-2014 at 02:44 PM..
Old 06-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Major General

D = Duh?

I hope the branding is great.

Don't want a single D that no matter how 'nice' it is put together people go "Duh what does that D stand for?
Old 06-18-2014, 02:56 PM

And based on World Cup play to date, soccer never will be...
Old 06-18-2014, 02:59 PM
Captain

sneak peak
Old 06-18-2014, 03:10 PM
2nd Lieutenant

UncreativeCommuter is infamous around these partsUncreativeCommuter is infamous around these partsUncreativeCommuter is infamous around these parts
Nope

sneak peak
http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/lis...uquesne_Dukes/
Old 06-18-2014, 03:11 PM
Captain

sneak peak
I love Duquesne's English D. I want something that looks good on a hat -- the English D looks good on a hat.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Major General

Nope but it could be as solid as this ............... BUT only in Color. Your choice blazing Red or Columbia Blue!

Out of committee don't be surprised this is a close replica of the new logo
Old 06-18-2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by jumpin' joe View Post
I heard the same thing. I've also heard that the administration doesn't think a "block" UD is the way to go since a number of schools are known as the University of D.... (UD - Denver, Delaware, Detroit, and even the University of Disney!) I'm thinking along the lines of this:

Replace the P with a D.
Well I know that this "P" mean Philadelphia Flyers. There are lots of Ps, but somehow I figured out who this belonged to.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:56 PM

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
The Philadelphia Flyers name was announced August '66. The Dayton Flyers were at the pinnacle of their fame. Towards the end of a 20 year run as the winningest team in college basketball. Can there be any doubt the the Philly Flyers are named after the Dayton Flyers?

Last edited by UDEE79; 06-18-2014 at 04:00 PM..
Old 06-18-2014, 03:59 PM

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
also I think this design just became available.
Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDFlyer23 View Post
Larry Hansgen tweeted this earlier today:

"Project coming to fruition. Exciting announcement in August!
@DaytonTrueTeam #TrueTeam"

I'm assuming he's talking about the re-brand so I guess we will see it revealed in a little over a month.
He may be talking about rebranding, but I think he is talking about the book is writing on the 2013-14 season. He announced in mid-May that he was writing the book and that it would be out in August.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:57 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
He may be talking about rebranding, but I think he is talking about the book is writing on the 2013-14 season. He announced in mid-May that he was writing the book and that it would be out in August.
Ahh I forgot about that, makes sense. Really looking forward to reading that.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:32 PM
Colonel

udstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud of
minus my photoshop skills, something similar to this would look pretty sweet

Old 06-19-2014, 08:55 AM
1st Lieutenant

st marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of light
does anyone know who is doing the design work on the new logo?
Old 06-19-2014, 09:02 AM
Major General

st marys

I hope no one that has posted in this thread (including me!)
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (06-19-2014), Justin (06-19-2014), SeasonTicketFan (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 12:13 PM
Captain

Nike is doing the design
Originally Posted by st marys View Post
Old 06-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
jpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond repute
Nike is doing the design
Nike didn't do the design, they tweaked it after it was designed.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Captain

Thanks, I am getting info second hand.
Originally Posted by st marys View Post
Originally Posted by jpk4ud View Post
Nike didn't do the design, they tweaked it after it was designed.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Captain

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN IT MIGHT BE RELEASED OR AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT?? A lot of insider info here, but no thoughts on this despite it's repeated asking?
Old 06-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
jpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond repute
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN IT MIGHT BE RELEASED OR AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT?? A lot of insider info here, but no thoughts on this despite it's repeated asking?
No official date has been set yet as far as I know
Old 06-19-2014, 03:04 PM
Captain

Safe to assume before next bball season?
Old 06-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Captain

The True Team Basketball twitter account just tweeted:
"We are having a HUGE reveal tomorrow. Let's see how many people follow and are a part of this GIGANTIC unveiling tomorrow!"

Looks like we will see the new logo and hopefully court/uniform designs tomorrow

Last edited by UDFlyer23; 06-25-2014 at 05:48 PM..
Old 06-25-2014, 06:50 PM
Colonel

Hopefully they don't try to unveil a new logo at the same time as the US soccer game.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:01 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Is it possible that the "True Team" reveal will be about the new uniforms and not the logo? The new logo is for all sports (I am assuming). It would seem odd to have it revealed on the MBB twitter page.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:24 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
If they reveal the new logo tomorrow, I am expecting to be disappointed and pray I'll be pleasantly surprised.