UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: who wins and what's the score?
Double forfeit, no winner declared, final score 0-0. 2 9.09%
UD declared winner, final score 73-74 with an asterix and explanation 0 0%
UD wins 2-0 4 18.18%
_avier wins 74-73 since both teams to blame for chaos 2 9.09%
Game cannot be forfeited...arena cleared and game resumes from 'point of interruption' 14 63.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2016, 08:35 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,878 Times in 6,982 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
YMtC Wednesday Edition of Thorsday...Forfeits

I'm booked the next 2 days and have limited access to a computer, so I'm posting this week's YMtC now and will give the jock-sniffers, Royal Roundtable and King Rollo Fan Clubbers until the weekend to vote, argue, discuss and - ultimately - guess the wrong answer.

Remember, you're the official...no googling or researching. You either know it or you don't.

It's UD vs _avier in the 2016 Thanksgiving Day Bermuda Triangle Classic...and predictably, the refs have disappeared. Every drive is met with an (atomic) elbow...no whistle. Hand-checking for 94' is ignored. At the 3:33 mark of the 2nd half our Flyers are trailing 68-72 and Coach Miller calls time-out to fire the team up for one last run at the much hated BalllessTeers.

Pollard and Cooke come out of the huddle frothing at the mouth...Scoochie's eyes are so red with anger that the groin of _'s blue blob of a mascot suddenly appears to be wet and green. The last few minutes is going to be hell, and everyone knows it. Except the officials.

Scooch hits a '3'...Flyers down 71-72...._avier answers with an off-balance leaner...UD down 71-74...and this is when it really gets ugly! Pollard takes the inbound under an extreme full court press and gets intentionally tripped by Chris Mack as he jukes toward the basket! Laying on the ground, my man Pollard curiously looks at Joey DeMayo and awaits a call...one that is delayed....finally DeMayo blows his whistle and signals 'T' on Mack and tosses him out of the game without explanation! Finally, the right call!

While Cooke is lining up and sinking both FTs (down 73-74, 1:22 left), a lot of trash talking from both sides of the court is occurring and the anger from both teams and their coaches has now moved its way into the stands where Chris Mack is seen leading the unRoyal behavior! in Section 101, Fudd is seen beating the snot out of some snot-nosed, blue-clad undergrad with an 'X' painted on his face...the perfect target for a strapping, young and intoxicated UD supporter like Fudd! In Section 699 the one and only Sir ClaytonFlyer has a HUDY dumped over his head by some 80-year old Jesuit nun and lays the woman out WWE style, but only after blessing her for the free drink! Chris R - somehow - is seen pulling his own hair out in disbelief and King Rollo, sitting comfortably in his Royal Throne, sips his manhattan and gently adjusts his Hulk Hogan bandana while kissing his 20" pythons. In other words, it's a Royal Rumble of major proportions and one that is completely out of control. Despite the flying chairs, blood and uncontrollable release of bodily fluids throughout the Arena, ESPN game announcers Dickie V and Jay Bilas continue to talk about February 23rds Duke vs UNC match-up, oblivious to the carnage.

Seeing the chaos and knowing there's no hope to regain any sense of sanity, DeMayo blows his whistle, points at the scorekeeper and declares a 'forfeit'. With the Bermuda Highway Patrol leading the officiating crew out of the arena and off the island, we're left trying to figure out who won the game and how it should be recorded in the books.

You're the know-it-all...so MAKE THE CALL?

Last edited by rollo; 05-18-2016 at 08:52 AM..
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2016, 09:00 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
25 'hits' and 0 votes!

You guys are cheating!
Old 05-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,414 Times in 671 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm going to guess there can't be a forfeit, just because I don't want officials trying to sort out blame in a situation like this. If they can't figure out a block/charge call, they shouldn't be trying to determine which side started a fracas in the stands. And ending the game with the score at that time wouldn't be equitable, so I can't imagine that would be the case.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:00 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm loving the 65 second shot clock too.

(Either that, or King left out a few misses by both teams....)
  • 3:33 out of timeout 68-72
  • Scooch hits a three. 71-72
  • Opponents hits a leaner 71-74
  • Cooke his 2 technicals on the inbounds technical 73-74.
  • 1:22 left in the game.

2 shots, no misses (listed), and 2 minutes and 11 seconds off the clock.
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
I'm loving the 65 second shot clock too.

(Either that, or King left out a few misses by both teams....)
  • 3:33 out of timeout 68-72
  • Scooch hits a three. 71-72
  • Opponents hits a leaner 71-74
  • Cooke his 2 technicals on the inbounds technical 73-74.
  • 1:22 left in the game.

2 shots, no misses (listed), and 2 minutes and 11 seconds off the clock.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:21 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
I voted. UD wins 2-0
Old 05-18-2016, 04:51 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Isn't there something about "past the point of conclusion or some such which is 30 minutes in a basketball game?" So, you could not score the game with the forfeiture score if 2-0? If that is the case then the last score stands, 73-74,X wins?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2016, 05:50 PM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
Rollo - thanks for posting and trying to put fans in a happier place...
Mad Props to UDTradition For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by UDTradition View Post
Rollo - thanks for posting and trying to put fans in a happier place...
I am THE gift that continues to give!
Old 05-18-2016, 10:37 PM
General of the Air Force

cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Rollo is the "Jelly of the Month Club" made human.

Last edited by cj; 05-18-2016 at 10:40 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-19-2016), Figgie123 (05-19-2016), rollo (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by cj View Post
Rollo is the "Jelly of the Month Club" made human.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:06 AM
General of the Air Force

Nice to see you have lost some weight.
The camera adds 10 lbs.
Steroids add another 10.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (05-19-2016), rollo (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 08:32 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,558 Times in 3,703 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
.l In Section 699 the one and only Sir ClaytonFlyer has a HUDY dumped over his head by some 80-year old Jesuit nun and lays the woman out WWE style, but only after blessing her for the free drink! ?
Section 669 and a free HUDY? Are you trying to say I am a cheap @$$?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-19-2016), rollo (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Section 669 and a free HUDY? Are you trying to say I am a cheap @$$?
ClaytonFlyerFan (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 09:08 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I have never worked an NCAA game but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express (and have worked H.S. varsity ball in Indiana for 40+ years). I am going to guess a 2-0 UD win.

My reasoning: under H.S. National Federation rules, if a coach or a player fails to comply with a technical or ejection, the game is forfeited. If the team to which the game is forfeited is ahead, the score as it is at the time of the forfeit stands. If the team to which the game is forfeited is behind, the score is recorded as a 2-0 win for that team. Mack violated the ejection rule when he returned to incite the crowed, game over, UD wins 2-0 (because they were behind).

Again, I have no clue about the NCAA rule, but I am guessing it is at least similar.
Mad Props to IndianaFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice to get back to the humor and nonsense. The sadness is beginning to subside. Time to get back to what #5 would want us to do. Basketball and fun in his memory. #Playfor5. #RIPBigSteve
Old 05-19-2016, 01:36 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,414 Times in 671 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IndianaFlyer View Post
I have never worked an NCAA game but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express (and have worked H.S. varsity ball in Indiana for 40+ years). I am going to guess a 2-0 UD win.

My reasoning: under H.S. National Federation rules, if a coach or a player fails to comply with a technical or ejection, the game is forfeited. If the team to which the game is forfeited is ahead, the score as it is at the time of the forfeit stands. If the team to which the game is forfeited is behind, the score is recorded as a 2-0 win for that team. Mack violated the ejection rule when he returned to incite the crowed, game over, UD wins 2-0 (because they were behind).

Again, I have no clue about the NCAA rule, but I am guessing it is at least similar.
This makes a lot of sense. If the score stands at the time of the forfeit, do the individual player stats still count? And do they not if it ends 2-0?
Old 05-20-2016, 07:38 AM

1-hour left to vote.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:49 AM

In the 4 years(?) I've been doing YMtC, I think this is the 2nd time that EVERYONE got the answer wrong. That's right...0 for 22. UGH!

The correct answer is: (b) UD declared winner, final score 73-74, with an asterisk and explanation

Here's why...Rule 5, Sect 3, Article 2 gives the officials the power to forfeit a game if a coach makes a 'travesty of the game'....which is why I had to add the part about Mack leading the unRoyal behaviors in the stands after being ejected. So, by leading the crowd and forcing DeMayo to call for the forfeit, we now know that UD gets the 'W' and now we have to figure out the score and how to record it.

The Final Score is a function of the total time played. If it's less than 30 minutes, the Final Score is 2-0 UD and no stats count. None.

If greater than 30 minutes has been played, then the score at the time of the forfeit and all stats count and are recorded. But since UD was losing at the time of the forfeit, an asterisk (R5, S3, A6) has to be added along with an explanation why the team losing at the time was given the win.

FWIW, I got the answer wrong, too. You see, when I do these YMtC scenarios, I just flip to a Rule, read the headline (Forfeit) and in my mind say 'forfeits are always 2-0'. Then I read the small print, fine details and throw together a story that ties a bunch of issues together with the goal of making people think.

See ya next week...due to meetings and such, it'll be another Wednesday Edition of Thorsday...

Go Flyers!

Clayton...I can't wait to hear from you why I am wrong!

Last edited by rollo; 05-20-2016 at 08:57 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (05-20-2016), Gazoo (05-25-2016)