User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
2010 Recruits

http://rivals.yahoo.com/dayton/footb...search-results

14 players listed by Rivals. We "lost" one already to Drake.... Kind of late getting started this year. It will be interesting to see if we actually land any of these Rivals players.... In the past, we get very few if any of them.... I know that one of the games I attended last year had a good group of players from my high school, Bethel Park, in the Pittsburgh, PA area. I hope we land some of those players.

Please post any information you have in this thread. I remember that a Solon, OH QB is considering Dayton. I'll have to dig his name up later when I have a chance.

Last edited by DetroitFlyer; 01-02-2010 at 05:18 PM..
Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (01-02-2010)
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
I know we had Ben St.John in for a visit. He is a good guard from Woodville, Oh, Woodmore High School. He would be a very good get for the O-Line if we are able to nail him down. I know he was also a high school wrestler. He is a smart kid who would have a shot at playing when he steps on campus. I only fear that a lower Level FBS or upper Level FCS swoop in last second and sign him.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Lieutenant General

DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Some more potential Flyers

Thanks to one of our posters on the PFL Fan Board:

http://pflfan.proboards.com/index.cg...lay&thread=880

Here’s who has added offers thanks to our friends at ScoutingOhio.com:

Nick Wehby - Mason - adds offer from Dayton

Pat Behm - Kenston - adds offers from Butler and Dayton

Austen Harrison - Granville - adds offer from Dayton

Mark McClain - Upper Arlington - adds offer from Dayton

Tyler Robinson - Dublin Coffman - adds offer from Dayton
Old 01-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Lieutenant General

Good site to keep an eye on....

http://scoutingohio.com/index.php/co...rticle/71.html

And.... Check out the programs that are reported to be recruiting one Mark McClain:

Princeton, Brown, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, Dayton, Williams, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Dartmouth, Georgetown, Davidson

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Mark is a good student....
Old 01-21-2010, 10:41 PM
1st Lieutenant

chriscage will become famous soon enough
Morehead?

But could he "cut it" at Morehead State?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Lieutenant General

MSU

Originally Posted by chriscage View Post
But could he "cut it" at Morehead State?
MSU certainly is an interesting case.... They really do not "fit" the profile of the PFL. Of course, I think this also helps them to find a niche in the recruiting wars.... I would have to think that they may be able to land kids that might have a tough time getting in to other PFL schools. Of course the expense to attend MSU is a good bit lower than the rest of the PFL schools so that should help as well. I like having MSU in the league. They have a great coach and they provide a model for other State U's that might think they cannot "afford" football. MSU has certainly targeted the Flyers as a rival as well.... And, it is a bus trip, always an advantage for us in a "national" league. Hard to prove, but I have always suspected that maybe one of the reasons that MSU does not "like" the Flyers is because some of the Ohio kids that land at MSU could not gain admission or afford to attend UD.... Of course not all good football players want to attend a Catholic school, so that could be a factor as well.... I also love that MSU is an ongoing thorn in the OVC's side! As it stands today, I like every program in the PFL and hope that they all stay for a very, very long time!
chriscage (01-22-2010)
Old 01-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Lieutenant General

Rivals Two Star.... - Brandon Roller

http://rivals.yahoo.com/dayton/footb...ollege_choices

College Choices
School Interest Offer Visit Recruited by
Army High Offered 01/8/2010
Dayton Medium 01/29/2010
Georgetown Medium 01/22/2010
Indiana Medium None
Kentucky Medium None Chuck Smith
Louisville Medium None Jeff Lewis
Ohio Medium None
Western Kentucky Medium None

Looks like he has an offer from Army, is visiting Georgetown today and will visit Dayton on 1/29/10.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Defensive Tackle Prospect

Rival lists: Michael White

Defensive tackle
Indianapolis, Indiana
Brebeuf Jesuit Prep

View Map
  • Ht:6'1"
  • Wt:270 lbs
  • 40:4.7 secs
  • Bench Max:325
  • Squat Max:525
  • Class:2010 (Brebeuf Jesuit Prep)
He visited UD last Saturday and Rivals claims an offer was made.
Michael also visited Pennsylvania and on Friday he is due at Holy Cross.

There are five players that this prep school has provided highlight video so "they must turn them out"! Keep an eye on this one because travel to Dayton's Welcome Stadium from home sure makes sense for Michael's family & friends.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (01-27-2010), UDBrian (01-27-2010)
Old 02-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Lieutenant General

Flyers land a QB!!

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/20...rdo-to-dayton/

Highlands senior football player Will Bardo on Wednesday committed to the University of Dayton.

Bardo, who helped lead the Bluebirds to three straight Class 5A state titles, was a starting defensive back as a junior. As a senior, he played quarterback before injuring his throwing arm midway through the season. He then moved to running back and returned a kickoff for a touchdown in a state final victory over John Hardin.

And.... He was one of the players listed on the Rivals site!

And.... He was reported to have an offer from FBS Air Force. Granted, a full ride to Air Force carries some additional significant obligations, but it is still big news when we land a QB with a solid FBS, full ride offer!

Last edited by DetroitFlyer; 02-02-2010 at 09:55 AM..
jmitch (02-01-2010)
Old 02-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Flyer Gramps View Post
Rival lists: Michael White

Defensive tackle
Indianapolis, Indiana
Brebeuf Jesuit Prep

View Map
  • Ht:6'1"
  • Wt:270 lbs
  • 40:4.7 secs
  • Bench Max:325
  • Squat Max:525
  • Class:2010 (Brebeuf Jesuit Prep)
He visited UD last Saturday and Rivals claims an offer was made.
Michael also visited Pennsylvania and on Friday he is due at Holy Cross.

There are five players that this prep school has provided highlight video so "they must turn them out"! Keep an eye on this one because travel to Dayton's Welcome Stadium from home sure makes sense for Michael's family & friends.

Michael picked Holy Cross. It looks like he chose HC over Dayton and a couple of Ivy schools. I wonder if the potential to participate in the FCS playoffs factored into his decision? I guess his family either likes to travel or they do not plan on seeing him play much in college....
Old 02-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Just off the Jet

Matt Natali is on a distinguished road
I am surprised more Dayton area players aren't being recruited. The Flyers usually sign a few every year.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Lieutenant General

Dayton Players....

Originally Posted by Matt Natali View Post
I am surprised more Dayton area players aren't being recruited. The Flyers usually sign a few every year.

Not to worry. I'm sure that we will land a number of Dayton area players.... For some reason(s), Dayton does not say anything about recruits until an official announcement is made. At least the announcements have been coming sooner.... Years past, they would not say anything until the fall. We will probably see a list in the DDN sometime this Spring. National LOI day is tomorrow. Since we are non-athletic scholarship, our players do not sign LOI's. Still, many will have committed by tomorrow, and announcements on individual players will start showing up in various media outlets. Most of our information comes from folks personally knowing a recruit or his family, or from media outlets over the next few days and weeks.

I have it on good authority that we have a good number of committments already, but I have only found a confirmation on Will Bardo. Keep checking back here as there will be more updates as news becomes available.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Lieutenant General

Alter Offensive Lineman Commits to Dayton

http://queencityhigh.rivals.com/cont...04&CID=1045639

Ryan Cronin Alter OT Dayton

News is kinda slow for national signing day, but here is another future Flyer, and a local player!

Last edited by DetroitFlyer; 02-03-2010 at 07:59 PM..
Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Lieutenant General

John Ehrensberger - Rivals 2-star signs with Dayton!

Originally Posted by Matt Natali
I attended the Greater Western Ohio Conference signing day ceremony today and Centerville S John Ehrensberger signed with UD. He made the decision last night and notified coach Chamberlin.

Here is a link to more information on Ehrensberger:
http://www.jjhuddle.com/football/rec...recruit_id=834

John was a Rivals two star! It is nice to see us landing "stared" players. We have landed a few over the years, but not many! The other two star recruit, from the same high school as Will Bardo was still listed as undecided last night. I'm not sure how long it has been since we landed more than one two star.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Lieutenant General

Ryan Cronin singing, courtesy of Matt Natali

2010 Signee Ryan Cronin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was out at Alter today for their signing day ceremony and put this story together on Ryan Cronin for another project. Thought I would share it.

Headline: Center of Attention

Subhead: All-Ohio lineman signs with the Flyers

February 3, 2010

KETTERING, Ohio – One the top football players in the Dayton area is officially a Flyer.

Archbishop Alter senior Ryan Cronin signed a National Letter of Intent with the University of Dayton Wednesday, Feb. 3, at a ceremony at his high school committing him to suit up for the Flyers next season.

Cronin (6-foot-2, 240 pounds) was a Division IV First Team All-Ohio selection last season and is a two-time All-Greater Catholic League honoree. He started at center for Alter the past two seasons as the Knights won back-to-back state championships.

For Cronin, two main factors played a role in his decision to choose UD.

“The biggest thing for me is it is close to home and you are not going to find better football at the college level that close to home,” he said. “All my aunts and uncles came to all my high school games and I wanted to keep it close for them so they could come to all my college games.

“The coaching staff probably was the next biggest thing.”

Cronin said he noticed similarities between Alter and UD from a coaching standpoint.

“The philosophy is the same and it just felt comfortable,” he said. “(UD head coach Rick Chamberlin) is a great guy and I have gotten to know him over the past couple of months. His philosophy is great and he demands hard work and responsibility.

“They talk a lot about community and that is something we have at Alter and I just wanted to continue my career there.”

Cronin, who plans on majoring in Business Management, took an official visit to UD before landing on the Flyers.

“The teacher-student ratio was perfect and the campus is the perfect size for me,” he said.

“During the recruiting process, one thing I wanted to do was go from one good program to another good program. Hopefully we can continue that with this recruiting class and keep the winning tradition going at UD.”

And a winning tradition is something Cronin is familiar with winning two state championships while anchoring the offensive line in head coach Ed Domsitz’s patented Wishbone offense.

“You could just see him grow each year as he progressed through the program,” Domsitz said. “At the University of Dayton, I think he is going to be an outstanding player and I think he is going to fit into what they do very well and I think they will be very pleased with him.

“He is a kid that does well in the classroom, he cares about doing well in the classroom and all signs indicate he will do well at the University of Dayton.”

Domsitz holds Cronin’s contribution to the Alter program in high regard.

“If you made a list of the best seven or eight offensive linemen at Alter in the last decade, Ryan would be right in there,” Domsitz said.

That is high praise considering 2002 Alter grad Nick Mangold is coming off an All-Pro season at center for the New York Jets. Cronin appreciates the recognition but is focused on finishing high school and starting his college career this summer.

“I just want to do my part and whatever it takes to get on the field and just help (UD) win,” he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Matt Natali; Yesterday at 09:50 PM..
Old 02-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Lieutenant General

Matt Luers from Lakota East signs with Dayton!

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/bl...es/2010/02/03/

Lakota East:

Matt Luers, football Dayton

http://www.journal-news.com/hamilton...am-435686.html

Matt Luers, Lakota East, tackle, 6-3, 230, senior — Greater Miami Conference first team; Division I Associated Press All-Southwest District honorable mention
Old 02-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Lieutenant General

Saint Xavier's Nick Weston commits to Dayton!

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/

St. Xavier senior DB Nick Weston (6-1, 190) committed to Dayton late Wednesday afternoon. Weston was first-team all-GCL South.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Lieutenant General

Kentucky WR signs with Dayton!

http://www.kentucky.com/232/story/1123874.html

Branden Johnson, Henry Clay WR Dayton
Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Lieutenant General

Michigan running back commits to the Flyers!

http://freep.com/article/20100203/SP...00203039/1319/

Gary Hunter (running back) committed to the University of Dayton.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Lil Gary Hunter

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer View Post
http://freep.com/article/20100203/SP...00203039/1319/

Gary Hunter (running back) committed to the University of Dayton.
Gary Hunter

The article calls him a running back but he only had 16 attempts for 125 yards. He is more of all-purpose guy, kinda typical for Flyer recruiting. He caught 9 passes for 180 yards. It gets better - he had 19 KO returns for a 28.8 avg. Then he also had 5 intercepts with 122 yards returning and 2 TD.

I think he may be fast. Better be fast because he's only 5'8" and 155 lbs. UD coaches have told other 155 lb recruits that they are too small to tackle PFL ballcarriers so expect to see Mr. Hunter with the ball.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Colonel

Long Brandon Johnson

http://www.kentucky.com/232/story/1123874.html

Branden Johnson, Henry Clay WR Dayton
Henry Clay High in KY had a good season and although I couldn't find stats, WR Brandon Johnson looks like he helped win. He is a long legged, long armed 6'1", 170# receiver. His frame will allow more weight with advice from the UD trainers. He carries a better than 3.0 grade in classes.

There's a photo of Brandon catching and another running at this link - he's #81...
http://www.henryclayfootball.com/playoff3/playoff3.html
Old 02-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Colonel

Another Bomber from Xavier High

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/

St. Xavier senior DB Nick Weston (6-1, 190) committed to Dayton late Wednesday afternoon. Weston was first-team all-GCL South.
Nick Weston

Weston follows Joe Ries & Eric Robbe onto the Flyer roster this year.
Nick appears to be good size and played in a good program. He had three intercepts and one was in a 5th game (loss) against Highlands High. Wonder if the thrower was recruit Will Bardo?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Detroit

Detroit, I know that you follow this recruiting stuff more than most on UD Pride. Have you noticed anything about the Youngstown State recruiting from the past several weeks! After a number of very average years after Tressel left YSU to win another national championship at THE OSU, YSU has finally pulled the plug on the coaching assisitant that stayed behind when Tressel left to coach the Penguins.

They fired the guy (Heathcote) I believe was his name and recently hired a guy who was an assistant at South Carolina i believe ( a Youngstown Ursuline HS grad) who then immediately asked Ron Stoops (who had been the defensive coordinator for Youngstown Mooney for about 15 years to be part of his staff.) The results from there first recruiting effort have been impressive with a number of solid MAC prospects choosing to play at YSU over D1 rides. Most impressive was the addition of a kid from Youngstown Mooney (who many considered the best football TEAM----any division in ohio in 09') who had offers from several big ten programs including michigan state! I know you watch this stuff and figured I'd mention it to you. I expect that YSU will be in the mix for a D1A national championship within 3 years---you heard it here! Could the Flyers play these guys? I know tha's been discussed before?
Old 02-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Colonel

This is the 2010 Flyer recruit thread.

Spounds like YSU is a good subject for a separate thread. DF always wants to play them.

Regret my original tone of reply.

Last edited by Flyer Gramps; 02-05-2010 at 07:20 PM..
Old 02-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Major General

College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
UD Recruit Thread

Gramps, I hear ya'. I'm probably one of a few folks who actually looks at all the sports and follows all of them closer than most Flyer fans. I actually see all of the sports teams play on multiple occasions on a yearly basis. I understand that you and Detroit and a couple others are corresponding about Flyers football recruits but since it always semms to be the same 2-3 people discussing this sport and it seemed like at least DetriotFlyer was reviewing information from a number of sources that deal with recruiting, I thought I'd post something. I didn't realize that I would ruffle any body's feathers despite the fact that YSU as an opponent had been mentioned a number of times over the years and I actually thought Detriot might have a thought. Thanks for responding to my thread with the welcoming tone.

Truthfully, in light of the fact that as in this case, very few people other than a couple of you ever share any input whatsoever on Dayton Flyer football, I thought the reaction would be a little different than your's was. With that in mind, I'll leave this thread to you and the other couple of folks who are corresponding with each other and I'm sorry if I didn't observe the appropriate decorum with my post.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Lieutenant General

High Praise for Will Bardo

http://queencityhigh.rivals.com/show...d=1204&style=2

"Dale Mueller told me Wednesday night when he came on sportstalk with me that he considered Bardo "an NFL talent." Now he didn't say he was ready for the NFL right now or anything like that, but said he is that type of athlete with the way he can run, jump, throw, catch etc."

OK, so it is just messageboard banter, but still pretty impressive for our incoming QB/WR recruit. Will could be a larger version of Steve Valentino. If so, the NFL talk would not be far fetched at all.... By the way, Dale Mueller is Will's HS coach.
UDBrian (02-10-2010)
Old 02-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Lieutenant General

Pittsburgh area player signs with UD!!

http://www.ptsd.k12.pa.us/

Justin Simpson signed his letter of intent to play football at the University of Dayton next fall.

News out of Pittsburgh has been slow. Justin is from Peters Township, right next to my hometown of Bethel Park.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Lieutenant General

Solon's Jake Voigt, (QB), commits to Dayton!

http://scoutingohio.com/index.php/vi...name=jakevoigt

Wow, good news! We knew that Jake was very interested in becoming a Flyer and we have been waiting for the official announcement for what seems like forever. Reported to be a very similar QB to Steve Valentino. With both Jake and Will in the fold, as always, the future looks bright for our Flyers! (I have a feeling that certain folks that know the Solon team well will provide additional information on Jake!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Colonel

Jake Voigt, Solon QB

T'was a lonnnnngggg 10 days waiting for word. We knew a spot was offered and that the family wanted UD (Jake's dad attended UD) but that darn aid package must have been stuck in the snow!

Too bad there isn't a bullet train from Solon to Dayton for family & friends because Jake is now the third Comet on the Flyers roster joining LB Joe Janasek and QB Valentino. Jake stood in the background on signing day as teammates signed letters of intent...Darry Baldwin to Ohio State, Brandon Nelli to Notre Dame College and Donnie Williams to Mercyhurst. Now the team that went 12-1 in the NE Ohio Conference has four continuing their football. Jake was NEO Offensive Player of the Year and recently honored along with 9 other athletes as ESPN Cleveland Student Athlete of the Year and received scholarship money from Burger King & WKNR radio.

He is listed as 6' and 185 lbs, threw 237 passes last season, completing 59% with only 4 intercepted. He is not the runner like friend Tino, but he has much more QB and passing experience. We wish him the best at UD.

Here's a link to the Solon Awards Banquet Program with stats:
http://www.solonschools.org/athletic...2202009269.pdf
Check his passing & running on the highlight video:
http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...name=jakevoigt

Last edited by Flyer Gramps; 02-10-2010 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: added highlights
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
Charlie B (02-10-2010), chriscage (02-11-2010), DetroitFlyer (02-10-2010), jmitch (02-11-2010), UDBrian (02-10-2010)
Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Lieutenant General

Recruiting in reverse

http://www.collegefanz.com/blogs/nai...area-transfers

Bummer, we lost one. Shane Liston has transferred out to Saint Xavier University in his hometown of Chicago.

Has to be a story there....
Old 02-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Colonel

A BIG Blocker

Here's a Flyer commit from Buckeye Valley High (Delaware) who played center but may find his way to tackle some day. He does move out his opponent!

Grant Georgic - 6'-2", 265#, center-OL

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...name=Lineman62

OOPS! Columbus Dispatch, scoutingohio & others were premature here for Grant G.

He has NOT commited to Dayton; is still awaiting their aid package!!!!!! Hello! Maybe its the snow!

Last edited by Flyer Gramps; 02-16-2010 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: updating news
Old 02-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Colonel

2010 Signee Ryan Cronin

I was out at Alter today for their signing day ceremony and put this story together on Ryan Cronin for another project. Thought I would share it.

Headline: Center of Attention

Subhead: All-Ohio lineman signs with the Flyers

February 3, 2010

KETTERING, Ohio – One the top football players in the Dayton area is officially a Flyer.

Archbishop Alter senior Ryan Cronin signed a National Letter of Intent with the University of Dayton Wednesday, Feb. 3, at a ceremony at his high school committing him to suit up for the Flyers next season.

Cronin (6-foot-2, 240 pounds) was a Division IV First Team All-Ohio selection last season and is a two-time All-Greater Catholic League honoree. He started at center for Alter the past two seasons as the Knights won back-to-back state championships.

For Cronin, two main factors played a role in his decision to choose UD.

“The biggest thing for me is it is close to home and you are not going to find better football at the college level that close to home,” he said. “All my aunts and uncles came to all my high school games and I wanted to keep it close for them so they could come to all my college games.

“The coaching staff probably was the next biggest thing.”

Cronin said he noticed similarities between Alter and UD from a coaching standpoint.

“The philosophy is the same and it just felt comfortable,” he said. “(UD head coach Rick Chamberlin) is a great guy and I have gotten to know him over the past couple of months. His philosophy is great and he demands hard work and responsibility.

“They talk a lot about community and that is something we have at Alter and I just wanted to continue my career there.”

Cronin, who plans on majoring in Business Management, took an official visit to UD before landing on the Flyers.

“The teacher-student ratio was perfect and the campus is the perfect size for me,” he said.

“During the recruiting process, one thing I wanted to do was go from one good program to another good program. Hopefully we can continue that with this recruiting class and keep the winning tradition going at UD.”

And a winning tradition is something Cronin is familiar with winning two state championships while anchoring the offensive line in head coach Ed Domsitz’s patented Wishbone offense.

“You could just see him grow each year as he progressed through the program,” Domsitz said. “At the University of Dayton, I think he is going to be an outstanding player and I think he is going to fit into what they do very well and I think they will be very pleased with him.

“He is a kid that does well in the classroom, he cares about doing well in the classroom and all signs indicate he will do well at the University of Dayton.”

Domsitz holds Cronin’s contribution to the Alter program in high regard.

“If you made a list of the best seven or eight offensive linemen at Alter in the last decade, Ryan would be right in there,” Domsitz said.

That is high praise considering 2002 Alter grad Nick Mangold is coming off an All-Pro season at center for the New York Jets. Cronin appreciates the recognition but is focused on finishing high school and starting his college career this summer.

“I just want to do my part and whatever it takes to get on the field and just help (UD) win,” he said.

Last edited by Matt Natali; Yesterday at 09:50 PM..

Here is some highlight video of #53 - Ryan Cronin. A bit hard to follow since he plays several spots in the center of Alters line:
http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...1021&name=rc53
Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (02-12-2010)
Old 02-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Colonel

An offer to a DB

Mitch Yinger received an offer from UD. He is a 5'-10", 180# DB-S-WR-ATH from Div.III St. Francis DeSales. He played with Adam Griffin, Archie's boy who has signed with tOSU.

Mitch sounds like the athletic type that UD recruits.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Lieutenant General

Matt Andre commits to UD

More Trevians intend to play college football

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/glencoe/...810-s1.article

Matt is a 6' 2" 235 lb DL.

Last edited by DetroitFlyer; 02-21-2010 at 02:41 PM..
Old 03-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Lieutenant General

Tim Pallay signs with Dayton!

http://www.hudsonhubtimes.com/news/s...4777935?page=0

"Pallay recently signed a national letter of intent to continue his academic and football careers at the University of Dayton, a Division I Football Championship Subdivision program that plays in the Pioneer Football League.

The Flyers finished 9-2 last season and will most likely have several fifth-year seniors back in the mix this fall.

The 6-foot-3, 250-pound Pallay, liked everything about Dayton.

“The campus was amazing,” he said. “I loved the coaching staff. It’s a great facility. I went on an overnight trip there and I felt this is the place I wanted to be for the next four or five years.”

The QB that Tim protected in HS was being recruited by the Flyers, but he decided to go to Duquesne.... (I think he may have know that we had some good QB recruits coming in with this class).

Tim sounds like the type of offensive lineman that thrives in Dayton's scheme. Good height and still growing, he could end up being a special player!
Old 03-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Colonel

Tim Pallay-an Explorer

Nice find there Detroiter. With all the snow in NE Ohio it is amazing anything is getting done; and Hudson is in the snow belt.

Tim Pallay does sound like the perfect UD recruit. He's not on the scout listings, is not huge - 6'3" 250# - but is quick & athletic and I believe still 17 years old!

Jake Voigt, Joe Janasek and Steve Valentino have all played the Hudson Explorers in many sports and it is a battle every season. The Flyers roster now has Conference representatives from Mentor, Mayfield, Medina and Hudson along with the Solon guys now. Maybe the Flyer football news has reached the NE Ohio League!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Lieutenant General

Chris Cortopassi signs with Dayton

http://www.triblocal.com/Geneva/Deta...&sub_id=141461

Wheaton Warrenville South: Chris Cortopassi (Dayton).

6' 2" 270 lb OT.

Check out the notes below, especially the GPA and ACT score! Another STUDENT/athlete that is a great football player!

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/YA8...cortopassi.htm

Chris Cortopassi Football Athlete Notes - Wheaton-Warrenville South High School 09-10

Lemming Notes: He is a competitive, tough, and aggressive high school LT. On Film–This guy plays hard until the whistle, never lets up, keeps his legs moving at all times, and has the athletic ability and burst to effectively block out on the second level. His size may dictate a move to either guard or center in college. He can dominate at times, particularly if you watch the Naperville Central game in which he graded out at 93% and recorded 8 pancake blocks. Stats–For the year he earned 1st Team All-Conference honors at LT. Other Sports–He has thrown the shot put 51' 7" and the discus 152' 8" in track. Grades–His GPA is 4.9 on a 5.0 scale and he scored a 29 on the ACT. Benches 225 19 times and has a 21" VJ. Favorite Schools–NORTHERN IL, NORTHWESTERN, IA, IN, PURDUE, and MI STATE.

Last edited by DetroitFlyer; 03-05-2010 at 10:55 AM..
Old 03-05-2010, 04:50 PM
1st Lieutenant

Lurking Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
WWS won the 7A championship last fall (8A is the class with the biggest schools).
Mad Props to Lurking Dog For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (03-05-2010)
Old 03-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Colonel

Wheaton Tackle

That Wheaton group has SOME kind of football tradition. This is the 6th state title for the school and 2nd for this coach. A number of teammates will continue playing in college and Dayton gets a big one, 270-290 lbs. of an offensive tackle named Chris Cortopassi.

Yesterday I tried to find out what division the school was because Dayton often has players from smaller Catholic schools. The Lurker found out for us. That's interesting that Illinois has 8 divisions - that's a lot!

Italian sounding names dot the Flyer roster and so we welcome Cortopassi!

Flyer Grandpallino
Old 03-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Lieutenant General

Jacob Rigali signs with Dayton

http://www.nwc-sports.com/nwccollegesignings.html

Lima Central Catholic's Jacob Rigali signed to play football at the University of Dayton.
chriscage (05-02-2010)
Old 03-28-2010, 10:19 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Jacob Rigali – a 6’2 200 pound senior from Lima Central Catholic was voted LINEMAN OF THE YEAR by the league coaches. Rigali led the Thunderbirds with 90.5 tackles, including 14 tackles for loss, and was also a standout player on offense at tight end.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:27 PM
1st Lieutenant

proudpapa will become famous soon enoughproudpapa will become famous soon enough
Branden Johnson

WR Henry Clay High School in Lexington Kentucky. He was first team All City and first team All District. He helped lead the Blue Devils to the regional championships in 6A football. Branden was selected to play in the KY vs TN National Guard Border Bowl ALL STAR game.

You can find video's of Branden on YouTube if you search his name and look for his football video's. There is a receiving, rushing and his Jr year football video on that site.

As stated before, Branden is 6'1" 170 lbs. He has long arms and legs and exceptionally big hands. He ran his 40 at a UK camp in 4.5. He plays much faster on the field. He is a gym rat and is in the weight room everyday at 6 am. Branden is an excellent student athlete and carries a 3.67 GPA and 4.33 weighted. He was academic All State. Should be an excellent fit at UD!

Looks like an excellent class of incoming freshmen!

Last edited by proudpapa; 05-03-2010 at 01:08 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to proudpapa For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (05-03-2010), Flyer Gramps (05-03-2010), jmitch (05-02-2010)
Old 05-02-2010, 09:00 PM
1st Lieutenant

proudpapa will become famous soon enoughproudpapa will become famous soon enough
Videos

Here are the links to the YouTube videos of Branden Johnson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJiTa...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMdAR...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WuGh...eature=related
Old 05-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Captain

jmitch will become famous soon enoughjmitch will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by proudpapa View Post

Looks like an excellent class of incoming freshmen!
Proudpapa, Welcome to UDPride. Can't wait to see Branden and all of the in-coming recruits in the Red and Blue! Fall practice will be here before we know it.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:30 PM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
Proudpapa, Welcome to UDPride. Can't wait to see Branden and all of the in-coming recruits in the Red and Blue! Fall practice will be here before we know it.
Thank you so much! I can't wait. Just around the corner.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:11 AM
Lieutenant General

Love that screen name!

Branden looks and sounds like a perfect UD recruit! Those videos look great. I am looking forward to seeing Branden play at UD! His time at UD could be a very special time for this program! It sure looks like he could become a MAJOR factor over the next few years! Welcome to the UD Family!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Colonel

OMG! 3rd & 32 Play

We may have found the 3rd & 32 play that is so difficult for offenses! Brandon looks like a taller clone of another Flyer. Can't figure if his running or his catching is better. He is an elusive, slippery type runner and has good body balance & position to jump and catch.

Can you imagine if Brandon could get some wing option running going and then Watkins or Collins slips deep down the other side? Or we have Brandon running left and Tino right or vice-versa? For four years I've been hoping UD could get a fast tailback runner. Guess Brandon could change my position criteria a little.

Gosh, this is an exciting recruit! But he does need some blockers so keep the recruits coming!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Lieutenant General

Word is that Mitch is a Flyer!

Originally Posted by Flyer Gramps View Post
Mitch Yinger received an offer from UD. He is a 5'-10", 180# DB-S-WR-ATH from Div.III St. Francis DeSales. He played with Adam Griffin, Archie's boy who has signed with tOSU.

Mitch sounds like the athletic type that UD recruits.

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...9&name=yinger7
Old 06-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Colonel

Cleveland All-Stars

Friday night was the Greater Cleveland East-West All-Star game at John Carroll University Field.

The East won an exciting game and two players from Solon High did very well. QB Jake Voigt will be a Flyer soon and he moved the team with his passing down for the winning score. Here's part of the PD's story:
SOUTH EUCLID, Ohio -- Tackled 3 yards short of the end zone as time expired, West quarterback Casey Pierce had every reason to be disappointed following the East's 21-14 victory in the annual East-West high school football all-star game at John Carroll on Friday.
But Pierce was smiling.

"It was one of the most exciting games I've ever been a part of," said Pierce, a 6-4 left-hander from Normandy. "Two weeks ago, we did not know each other and we came together and became great friends and played as one. That's a very hard thing to do, picking up offenses and molding together, but we did it well."

It showed -- on both sides -- in the closing minutes.
Pierce threw two touchdown passes and was named the West's Most Valuable Player. The East MVP was tailback Isaiah Chambers (Chanel), who scored twice: a 41-yard TD run to start the scoring in the second quarter, and the game-winner on a 1-yard leap over the line with 1:51 remaining in the fourth.

The latter TD followed a 61-yard catch and run by wideout Steven Yarbrough (Beachwood), who reeled in Jake Voigt's (Solon) pass and broke a tackle at the 38. Voigt passed for 161 yards.
P.S. In the 2006 game, Nick Collins played as a Receiver for West and Steve Valentino was MVP at Safety, CB, Punt returner, KO team, KO Return team, Place-kick Holder, Place-kick-rusher and a final play as Flanker-passer for the East.
Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (06-20-2010)
Old 06-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Major General

Recruiting

Anyone know whether UD has anyone coming in from the Youngstown area in the years class 10' OR if Rick C. is currently recruiting anyone from the Youngstown area (as and incoming senior)? Sounds like the team has some studs in this years class. Thanks

Last edited by College B-Ball Fan; 06-19-2010 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: mistake
Old 06-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Captain

jmitch will become famous soon enoughjmitch will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by College B-Ball Fan View Post
Anyone know whether UD has anyone coming in from the Youngstown area in the years class 10' OR if Rick C. is currently recruiting anyone from the Youngstown area (as and incoming senior)? Sounds like the team has some studs in this years class. Thanks
No one from the immediate Youngstown area this year, but several from northeast Ohio. I know that we do recruit in the area, but there must not have been mutual interest this year. Hopefully with the prospect of a game against YSU in the near future, perhaps the recruiting window may open up a little more.
Mad Props to jmitch For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (06-22-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Colonel

More Recruits

Here are a few more recruits that I do not believe have been mentioned on this thread yet::
  • K/P Matt Bennett, Walsh Jesuit, 5'11", 185#
  • TE Brian Horansky, St. Edwards, 6'3", 210#
  • TE Mitchell Haines, Dublin Coffman, 6'4", 225#
  • WR Gabe Macis, McDonogh-Owens Mills, MD, 5'11', 170#
  • WR Bill Young, Hampton-Allison Park, PA, 6'1", 180#
  • WR Andy Powers, West Geauga, 6'1", 185#
  • RB Grant Huckenstein, North Allegheny- Pittsburgh, 5'11", 205#
  • RB Miles Clark, North Central-Indianapolis, 5'9", 185#
  • CB Howard Savage, Warren Central-Indianapolis, 5'11", 175#
  • LB Sean Sward, Dublin Jerome, 6'3", 210#
  • LB Clay Kraft, North Royalton, 6'1", 225#
  • DE Justin Simpson, Peter Twp.-Venetia, PA, 6'2", 210#
  • DT Pat Dowd, St.Ignatius, 6'3", 230#
  • DT Josh Fuller, Worthington, 6'0", 245#
  • S Kevin Cripe, Anderson High, Cinci, 5'11", 180#
  • Transfer from Tiffin... CB James Aubrey, 5'10", 188#

Last edited by Flyer Gramps; 08-02-2010 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: added transfer
Old 07-29-2010, 03:30 PM
1st Lieutenant

Roster

I looked on the UD website today and noticed that there is a roster which includes incoming freshman. Only ten more days to go until they should all report. I am very excited to see what the Flyers are all about!
Mad Props to proudpapa For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (08-06-2010)