Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Captain

PittsburghFlyer is on a distinguished road
Marist

Well enough with the nonconference contests. The Flyers open up PFL action against the team they ended the season with last year, the Marist Red Foxes. The Red Foxes sport a 1-2 record against competition from the NEC and Patriot League. They are led by their QB, Chuckie Looney, a senior who hails from the state of Florida. He has an efficiency rating of 123 and has thrown for 719 yards in 3 contests. Interestingly, the Red Foxes are also coming off of a bye week. We will again need our defense to step it up and put pressure on Looney to win. They also have a defensive end, Terrence Fede, who had two sacks and 5 tackles against Georgetown in a win. They do put some points on the board. In their Georgetown game, they put up 43 points.

Hopefully the Flyers have a good week of preparation leading into the Marist game. Looking forward to them playing Saturday in their first PFL contest of 2013. Go FLYERS!
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to PittsburghFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (09-23-2013), Flyer Gramps (09-23-2013), PIONEER 8 (09-23-2013), proudpapa (09-25-2013)
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
It looks like Georgetown is way down this year. After getting handled by Marist, Georgetown lost to Brown on Saturday 45-7 or something like that. Still, Marist has some good weapons as mentioned above and it will take a top notch effort on both sides of the ball to pull this one out. If our pass rush is excellent and our offense can maintain ball control again, we should win this one.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Captain

PIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura about
It will be interesting to see how we respond to the bye week. Will the team be ready to go and healed up a bit or will there be some rust from the layoff. Not something we have seen a lot at UD so much historical information to go on.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:01 PM
1st Lieutenant

proudpapa will become famous soon enoughproudpapa will become famous soon enough
Great Point

I found it interesting that both teams were off last week. I don't know that we spent a lot of time last week preparing so much as we were trying to get healthy.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone have the line on our Marist game? I used to have a site that gave lines on FCS games, but misplaced it.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
...and the coach said -

This should be a link to what each coach said about the others team during the PFL Coaches Webcast:

http://www.goredfoxes.com/ViewArticl...B_OEM_ID=27700
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
FBUD (09-25-2013), PIONEER 8 (09-25-2013), PittsburghFlyer (09-26-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Captain

Scout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura about
http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/m...-dayton-flyers
Mad Props to Scout86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-25-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Captain

Scout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura about
Listened to chamberlins show from Monday night, kinda think the defensive line is taking this game personal and really wants to get to Marists QB?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Lieutenant General

DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Probably...

Originally Posted by Scout86 View Post
Listened to chamberlins show from Monday night, kinda think the defensive line is taking this game personal and really wants to get to Marists QB?
the key to the game. Give him time to throw and it could be a long day for the Flyers. I would like to see Pat Dowd step up this week. He has been kind of quiet the first three games. Almost makes me wonder if he is playing hurt. It would be nice to see him bag a couple of sacks Saturday.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Captain

DF, we've seen issues with #15 the last 3 games.....I'm hoping that Fox has our Safeties riding his butt the whole game cause you know they'll be throwing in his direction all the time.
DetroitFlyer (09-27-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Lieutenant General

Probably have to play tight as well. With their spread they might try to throw short passes and count on yards after catch.... Should be another great challenge for our defense. I hope that the nice weather and parents weekend results in a big crowd.
Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Scout86 (09-27-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 11:40 AM
1st Lieutenant

Always Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of light
Probably going to open a hornets nest, but I think we will finally see how good or bad our defense is. Against YSU we just didn't have the athletes to match body for body. Against DU and RMU, they were about as inept of offense as we may see. We can not continue to give up on average almost 3 TD's a game. And these weren't high output offenses we've faced so far. The big play has torched us often. You cannot give up the 60-70 yard runs or YAC's we've done. When you look at the stats from above link, we are behind in most category's. I still do not like the rotation we have used so far on defense. Hopefully it changes this week.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Captain

PIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura about
First, I think this will be a tough game. I think Marist has a good defense that will test our offense. I think they will also be the best passing team we have played. I expect us to be stout against the run but we will need to get some heat on their QB or he is likely to have some success against us. That said, our D Line either needs to step up or we need to get a little more creative with some blitzes. I am hopeful that without Rios they won't be able to stretch the field as much but they could give us trouble with the underneath passes.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Captain

Pat Dowd said on this weeks radio show that the defensive line needed to get in there and and sack the QB that they've been lacking in the games so far.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:36 AM
1st Lieutenant

proudpapa will become famous soon enoughproudpapa will become famous soon enough
Big Day Ahead

Today should be a big day for the Flyers. I look forward to a hard fought game and hope that we come out on top. I would love to see and offensive explosion today and just an overall team domination. I think if the boys can put together one complete game early on in the PFL schedule it can carry them through the rest of the year. All they need is a confidence boost and a little swagger. I would like to see just a little swagger. Nothing unsportsmanlike just something. I think it would be contagious and the confidence will flourish. I look for our safeties to have big games today and the same old vanilla offense to prod down the field. We need to punch it in for six each time we get in the red zone.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to proudpapa For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (09-28-2013), Flyer Gramps (09-28-2013), PittsburghFlyer (09-28-2013), Scout86 (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 06:24 AM
Captain

Home field advantage, family weekend so there should be electricity in the air, I'm predicting 3 sacks today from our D line, I think gary is back so hopefully we'll start from at least the 30-40 every time..and see him across the middle....we've got Branden back so I'm thinking him and bardo like connecting on the long balls.......it's gonna be a great day for football.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Scout86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (09-28-2013), Flyer Gramps (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Captain

Parking lot is getting packed! I do not recall this many folks for family weekend last year. It is a great day to be a Flyer!!!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to PittsburghFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-28-2013), UACFlyer (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Lieutenant General

bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Two minutes left in the first qtr and the video feed freezes up.

Some things never change.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
13-0 First qtr

Talk about poor play & luck:

Marist not looking good on offense or defense. They "HOLD" on UD's 3rd down busted play throw away pass. Flyer's 1st dn at 2 yd line

Flyers fumble into air, recover for TD

Flyers have X-point blocked

A bit like the Little Sister's of Charity playing this game
Old 09-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Colonel

I restarted the program & got it back. must be flexible when UD electronics involved.
Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer Gramps View Post
I restarted the program & got it back. must be flexible when UD electronics involved.
Looks like Marist has made necessary adjustments on both offense and defense. We are now getting beat off the ball on both O and D.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Lieutenant General

Finally a little pressure on Looney and he throws an interception.

Whew!
Old 09-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Colonel

13-7 Lucky Half

Halftime of two different qtrs.

UD looked far superior to start. Offense in Marist territory very open & variable. Pocket passing. Defense had real good penetration, stopped any wide running.

Lot's of flyer luck, even chain broke on 4th down measurement of Marist & they were short!!! Fumble in the air is a TD!

Then Marist woke up, even scored a TD showing holes in middle & YAC by Clay. Meantime, our punter has 2 weak kicks, #1 has penalty, #15 pushes QB out-of-bounds, #27 has defensive penalty. Neither QB passing very well on rollout (didn't somebody say that #3 is not good at rollout passing?).

UD returned to vanilla play; probably because we were not past midfield.
#22 intercept in end zone at 0:50 saved us from being down by a point at half.

UD has to be able to play with Marist like Marist was in 2nd qtr - they are not inept like they played in the 1st.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Colonel

the Crystal Ball

One 2nd half possession.................

are we nearing a Johnson to Johnson pass this game?
Old 09-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Lieutenant General

What happened at the goal line? The video was out.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:12 PM
1st Lieutenant

chriscage will become famous soon enough
Flyer TV

Better today, but have had to reboot 3x so far.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:15 PM
1st Lieutenant

chriscage will become famous soon enough
Need former WVUD engineer John Fudge to "get the crickets out"!
Old 09-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Offensive line is a sieve
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
I am trying hard to see the upside to the Flyers, but to me to looks like same ole same ole.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Colonel

Sideline news

Heard said that nothing is wrong with UD QB...it's the other ten guys!

We must have patience with this senior.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Marist has a QB, Dayton does not.
Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Colonel

Need to improve to make 5th place

In the pre-season coaches poll, UD was picked for 5th place.

The team picked for 6th place played us at Welcome today.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:52 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
We have a QB and his name is not Bardo!
Old 09-28-2013, 03:56 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
last night the womens vball team lost its A-10 home opener for the first time since 2008. Coach said team went into shutdown mode after first set.

Seems the football team did the same today after the first quarter.

Chamberlin is a nice man but he is no Mike Kelly.

How do you beat two scholarship schools and loose (a beat down) to the preseason 6th place PFL team
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (09-28-2013), Flyer Gramps (09-28-2013), PittsburghFlyer (09-28-2013), San Diego Flyer (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Lieutenant General

Luke!!!!!
Old 09-28-2013, 04:24 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Two coaches feeling the heat

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
last night the womens vball team lost its A-10 home opener for the first time since 2008. Coach said team went into shutdown mode after first set.

Seems the football team did the same today after the first quarter.

Chamberlin is a nice man but he is no Mike Kelly.

How do you beat two scholarship schools and lose (a beat down) to the preseason 6th place PFL team
Looks like a replay of the last two football seasons. Three is a trend.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Looks like a replay of the last two football seasons. Three is a trend.
Agree SDF it appears we have neither the talent or coaching ability to compete for the top spot anymore. RC did well with Mike Kelly's players but since he has had his guys the results have taken a turn for the worst. No knock on the effort of the players, we simply don't have the overall talent we once had and, in my opinion, the coaching has suffered also. There are still 7 to play and anything can happen but it sure looks like we are on track for a repeat of the last few years.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:00 PM

UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Luke did well when the game was over and Marist quit pressuring.

Don't know how he would do when the games in doubt. My guess, as bad as the offensive line was, is not well. This team has far bigger problems than quarterback. The other 10 guys on the field today were abysmal. Can't pass block or run block and receivers struggle to catch the ball.

And the defense wasn't any better. Really poor tackling and absolutely horrendus gap discipline.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by UDDoug; 09-28-2013 at 07:02 PM..
Old 09-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Captain

My only post this week, .....defense was on the field too long and our offensive coaches.....all of them.....need to apoligize to everyone
IndianaFlyer (09-29-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 08:38 PM
Colonel

Same team, same coach, different outcome

Hard to sit watching the crawl of the scores on ESPN & see that RMU knocked off VMI while we lost to the PFL pre-season 6th place Coaches' Poll team!

How does this happen? Based on last two outcomes, we have the players & coaches that could win today. Something else was missing today.

Offensively we scored our usual: today 20 pts, RMU 21; Duq 23. YSU 10

Defensively not as good: today 31 pts, RMU 14, Duq 20, YSU 28...wait, we only gave up 28 to YSU & 31 to Marist? How dat happen?

Check the number of plays:
YSU 64, UD 73
Duq 64, UD 80
RMU 52, UD 77
Mar 84, UD 69

Ah ha, we ran the fewest plays on offense this year & Marist ran the most plays against our "D" by far. That says a lot about today's outcome. We scored 13 quick-n-easy but couldn't run enough plays while giving the opponent too many.

Same players, same coaches on our team but the outcome was so much better weeks ago. Find a leader or spark to re-ignite this bunch. Oh, we'll win next week but that would be a false signal based upon the opponent. The tough games are later & 84 plays is toooooo much for our "D".
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
PittsburghFlyer (09-28-2013), Scout86 (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Lieutenant General

This isn't what I've been used to seeing from UD football teams for the last fifty years. We got outplayed in just about every facet of the game at home in the league opener by a fairly mediocre opponent. I only watched the game on the internet, but we sure looked a step slower than Marist on almost every play and or tackling was pathetic.

Had we not scored twice in the opening quarter it could have been really ugly.
Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD62 (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 09:46 PM

Defense was also on the field too long because they could not get themselves off it. Way too many 3rd and long conversions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Captain

Game was very difficult to watch in person. The internet folks should consider themselves lucky they did not have to feel the pain all the time! When you look at the game in total, one Red Fox almost single handedly beat: Chuckie Looney. That young man tallied 353 of the total 488 yards total offense! We knew he was good, but his running plays we're much more damaging than his passing. He made some big runs on scrambles in 3rd and long situations that broke our backs. He played like you would expect a Sr QB with experience to play.

In terms of our O, we reserved our best play for the first quarter only. We had a chance in the 3rd Q to get back into the game when we drove to the Marist 25 yard line. Our QB threw the worst pass I have ever seen, and I mean HS and college. Threw a lob to the middle of the end zone into double coverage. But, our play all around was not good save the first Q. We played the final 3 Qs like we played the 2012 season. I thought going in we had righted our ship, but we have a lot of work to do.......
Old 09-29-2013, 07:20 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
Luke did well when the game was over and Marist quit pressuring.

Don't know how he would do when the games in doubt. My guess, as bad as the offensive line was, is not well. This team has far bigger problems than quarterback. The other 10 guys on the field today were abysmal. Can't pass block or run block and receivers struggle to catch the ball.

And the defense wasn't any better. Really poor tackling and absolutely horrendus gap discipline.
Posted via Mobile Device
His passes were right on the mark. It was almost unreal watching our QB throw accurate passes multiple times after three years of Bardo. If Luke does not start against Davidson than RC's leadership of this team has to be in question.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Lieutenant General

Defense was terrible yesterday. I cannot believe how poorly we tackle. I swear Marist brought us down with one arm while we just bounced off them. This was simply an embarrassing loss with plenty of poor play to go around. For crying out loud we cannot even kick an extra point....
Old 09-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by PittsburghFlyer View Post
Game was very difficult to watch in person. The internet folks should consider themselves lucky they did not have to feel the pain all the time! When you look at the game in total, one Red Fox almost single handedly beat: Chuckie Looney. That young man tallied 353 of the total 488 yards total offense! We knew he was good, but his running plays we're much more damaging than his passing. He made some big runs on scrambles in 3rd and long situations that broke our backs. He played like you would expect a Sr QB with experience to play.

In terms of our O, we reserved our best play for the first quarter only. We had a chance in the 3rd Q to get back into the game when we drove to the Marist 25 yard line. Our QB threw the worst pass I have ever seen, and I mean HS and college. Threw a lob to the middle of the end zone into double coverage. But, our play all around was not good save the first Q. We played the final 3 Qs like we played the 2012 season. I thought going in we had righted our ship, but we have a lot of work to do.......
If I remember right, Marist had a RB with 94 yards and maybe another one with 30 or 40. Our tackling and run defense is dismal. What used to be a strength has become a glaring weakness. Combine that with below average QB play and we are lucky to be 2-2. RC has some serious thinking to do and some tough decisions to make. Flyer Football is not .500 or less football. We need to find defenders that can make a tackle and start Luke at QB. The natives are getting restless. Things need to change and they need to change now.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer View Post
If I remember right, Marist had a RB with 94 yards and maybe another one with 30 or 40. Our tackling and run defense is dismal. What used to be a strength has become a glaring weakness. Combine that with below average QB play and we are lucky to be 2-2. RC has some serious thinking to do and some tough decisions to make. Flyer Football is not .500 or less football. We need to find defenders that can make a tackle and start Luke at QB. The natives are getting restless. Things need to change and they need to change now.
I don't think there is a quick fix. We have been on this track for a while. One could list reasons why but simply put we are not what we once were. Talent level, coaching, game plans, you name it, we simply are not top level competition any more. Could it change, maybe, will it change soon, not likely. We are what we are, and that appears to be a .500 team plus or minus a game. Would love to see us catch fire and run off a string of wins, But wins against SDU, Drake, and Butler could be hard to come by. I'm always a fan, but in my view we are a mid pack team, kind of like the basketball team has been. however they may be on an upward trend. I don't see that with the football Flyers. Carter and Kelly had us at or near the top, RC not so much.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:56 PM

I think Luke is almost assuredly a more accurate passer. Bardo was not known for accuracy in HS either.

But when Luke played yesterday, Marist dropped into a soft zone, didn't pressure the quarterback or play tight on the receivers. It was totally different as they were going to allow anything underneath to let the clock run.

If yesterday is any indication of UDs talent level, replacing Bardo isn't going to fix anything. If they were average to above average in other facets, maybe. But what I saw was a bad PFL team at nearly every position. You don't win at any level with the lesser offensive and defensive line. Football is still one with the 7 upfront, even with spread offenses. And UD was totally outmanned up front.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
proudpapa (09-30-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 06:23 PM
General of the Air Force

His passes were right on the mark. It was almost unreal watching our QB throw accurate passes multiple times after three years of Bardo. If Luke does not start against Davidson than RC's leadership of this team has to be in question.
Actually I would give each of them a half. Bardo could use a half to gain some confidence back not to mention the team to get confidence back in him.

Luke could use one of the half's to hone his skills and get ready to start rest of the games. Bardo will be a good backup QB option.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:26 PM
General of the Air Force

Defense was terrible yesterday. I cannot believe how poorly we tackle. I swear Marist brought us down with one arm while we just bounced off them. This was simply an embarrassing loss with plenty of poor play to go around. For crying out loud we cannot even kick an extra point....
I was under the impression one had to wrap their arms around a player to tackle them, not just bump into them and expect them to fall on their own.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:28 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
I think Luke is almost assuredly a more accurate passer. Bardo was not known for accuracy in HS either.

But when Luke played yesterday, Marist dropped into a soft zone, didn't pressure the quarterback or play tight on the receivers. It was totally different as they were going to allow anything underneath to let the clock run.

If yesterday is any indication of UDs talent level, replacing Bardo isn't going to fix anything. If they were average to above average in other facets, maybe. But what I saw was a bad PFL team at nearly every position. You don't win at any level with the lesser offensive and defensive line. Football is still one with the 7 upfront, even with spread offenses. And UD was totally outmanned up front.
Posted via Mobile Device
Could be a long season and maybe that is what the doctor ordered to get the ship uprighted with coaching and better players/recruits.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:17 AM
1st Lieutenant

Always Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of light
I usually try and wait a day or so to allow any frustration or vile to pass before responding. But I must say I did predict in a post above we would see just how good our defense was. Now we know. Let's just say I have a vested interest in the front 7. When you have linemen puking on the sidelines, bent over at the waist because they are out of shape. They are getting pushed out of the hole and missing tackles, yet you do not substitute, it's on the coaches. Don't ask a friggin kid if he needs a rest. What the heck you think his going to say. It's obvious. Offensive line, zero push, no rub off to secondary level, backs going down after minimal contact, QB locking on receiver on the out pattern run 15 times, with two picks I believe (should of been more), receivers no yards after catch. Moving ball down the field on decent calls, then once again you try and get cute and end up with pick six in end zone. Blame offensive coaches. On a bye week where you can get kids healthy and rested, you go six days of practice and treat it like preseason practice. Blame the coaches. When you get a lead anytime during the game, you go conservative in almost shut down mode, relying on defense to hold them. Blame the coaches. Special teams snafu's, block kicks, bad punting. Blame the coaches. Zero enthusiasm, not ready to play the game, abysmal performance, sorry kids, this ones on you. Coaches, you have a lot of other talent on the sideline. It is time to give some others an opportunity for more than a play or two here and there. Let them get some reps and get settled. I know we are not OSU, but they used six to seven interior linemen rotating constantly. It keeps them fresh and keeps the o-line guessing what the other guy is going to bring. How about on one of the 15 out patterns, you run a out-up. Pump fake the out and see what happens. This play calling is as predictable as high school. My son said he was not surprised. After the bye week going hard and a crap week of practice prior to the game. When kids see it, you would think the coaches would. There was some other insightful info I will not divulge at this time. Let's just say it sounds like all the coaches may not be on the same page.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Always Proud For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (09-30-2013), Flyer Gramps (09-30-2013), MichiganFlyer60 (09-30-2013), PIONEER 8 (09-30-2013), proudpapa (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Captain

AP hit it on the nose. After looking at the film and thinking about it I think it was a total team loss. We were out coached and out played. Some takeaways that I had from the game:

1. O-line was dismal. They could not get any push for the run game nor could they pass protect.

2. QB was locked in on a receiver and seemed to be afraid to throw the ball over the middle. He kept throwing to the sidelines even though he had receivers open down the middle of the field all day. Luke did a better job of this but it is had to get a god read because he was playing against a prevent defense and only for one series. I would get both QBs significant playing time this week against Davidson when the game is on the line and see who does best. Although it was brief I really thought Luke looked like the better QB in this game. He sat in the pocket and waited for the play to develop and then made the throw. He was not perfect and could have been picked off twice (including the last TD where 1 did a great job to tie up the DB). Will either locked on one receiver and threw it quick or bailed before the play had a chance to develop. I did not think he was inaccurate but his reads and decision making was not good.

2. Receivers were inconsistent. They made some very nice catches but dropped some easy balls. Cannot win games unless we make all of the routine catches plus some that we are not supposed to catch.

3. Tackling by our defense was bad. It was bad early and did not get better. I thought that maybe it was rust from the layoff but it did not really improve.

4. We are still not getting any heat on the passer. I thought our coverage was good for the most part but you can only cover for so long. If we cannot get pressure with our D-line we need to start blitzing a little more. We seemed to have success when we did so.

5. Coaches need to be more aggressive on offense and defense. If our secondary is as solid as I think it is then we can afford to blitz a little more and put some more heat on the QB. Offensive play calling was too conservative. We were pretty open on the first drive but we shut down after the pick in the end zone. I actually thought that was a good call. The receiver was open but Will got hit in the chest when he was throwing and it caused the ball to come up short. After that we got very conservative and it was pretty much run, run and then pass on third and long. Each time Marist would bring in wholesale changes to match up. We need to pass when they are geared to stop the run and vice versa. Also, we never really tried to stretch the field until late in the game and we had success when we did so.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to PIONEER 8 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (09-30-2013), Flyer Gramps (09-30-2013), proudpapa (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 11:33 AM
1st Lieutenant

I have to say that I did not see the same thing as some did. As others have stated Luke did come in and throw some nice balls. I think that he is the more accurate passer.

I also agree that the defense that he faced was not at all what was on the field and perpetrated in the first three and a half quarters. They did lay back and not pressure at all. They also had the second string db's in. I would like to point out that Luke did throw an almost certain pick 6 on a hitch that the Marist safety just dropped as he broke to the ball. He also threw the ball to the db in the end zone on the last td that the receiver was able to tie the ball up and get credit for the catch and the touchdown. May be people saw that differently but I saw at least two balls that were straight to db's. I just read Pioneer 8's post and can't really say anything better than he did. Our qb should not be pressured on a three man rush. Luke can stay in the pocket if there is time. What will happen when there isn't is the question. As I have stated before, other teams dink and dunk and they did it to death. We don't play call that way at all. We ran hitches all the first quarter which sets them up for the hitch and go. We didn't run it, but they did. We are way too predictable.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to proudpapa For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (09-30-2013), PIONEER 8 (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 06:33 PM
1st Lieutenant

DF, you have had your wish come true.....in conference play Luke Johnson is number one in efficiency.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to proudpapa For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (09-30-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Lieutenant General

Luke is certainly not perfect, but what would you expect when he gets his first significant playing time, (allowed to pass). He came in and drove the team for a TD with generally accurate passes. I suppose you could argue that most passes have the potential to get picked off, but throwing accurately is one of the best ways to avoid that problem. Luke needs to start against Davidson, when the game is really on the line. Davidson is not a powerhouse defensive team and it is a perfect opportunity, at home, for Luke to show what he can or cannot do in running this team. We need above average QB play, PFL player of the week type play, to win the PFL. Average QB play, average running, and average offense will simply not win enough games even if the defense plays up to it's potential. As we saw against Marist, counting on the defense to win games is not a great strategy. Will has more than had his chance. It is far past time to give Luke a shot to see if he can play significantly better come game time.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
chriscage (10-01-2013), Flyer Gramps (10-01-2013), MichiganFlyer60 (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Colonel

Looking for Forward Gain

Luke is certainly not perfect, but what would you expect when he gets his first significant playing time, (allowed to pass). He came in and drove the team for a TD with generally accurate passes. I suppose you could argue that most passes have the potential to get picked off, but throwing accurately is one of the best ways to avoid that problem. Luke needs to start against Davidson, when the game is really on the line...........
I'm not sure that Luke should start...the senior should. But he should have entered last week's game in 2nd qtr or 2nd half.

There are four things that can happen with UD's passes to the flat area behind the line of scrimmage and three are bad (for any QB):
  1. the pass could be incomplete
  2. the pass could lose ground
  3. the pass could be intercepted
  4. the pass could be completed for a gain
For only a 25% chance, I'd throw a forward pass down-field & eliminate chance #2.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
MichiganFlyer60 (10-01-2013), PIONEER 8 (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Captain

Luke is certainly not perfect, but what would you expect when he gets his first significant playing time, (allowed to pass). He came in and drove the team for a TD with generally accurate passes. I suppose you could argue that most passes have the potential to get picked off, but throwing accurately is one of the best ways to avoid that problem. Luke needs to start against Davidson, when the game is really on the line. Davidson is not a powerhouse defensive team and it is a perfect opportunity, at home, for Luke to show what he can or cannot do in running this team. We need above average QB play, PFL player of the week type play, to win the PFL. Average QB play, average running, and average offense will simply not win enough games even if the defense plays up to it's potential. As we saw against Marist, counting on the defense to win games is not a great strategy. Will has more than had his chance. It is far past time to give Luke a shot to see if he can play significantly better come game time.
Starting matters little to me but he should get meaningful playing time when the game is on the line (not mop up duty at the end) and if he is doing well then leave him in and see what happens.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Captain

Whoever starts....we need more short quick passes .....and offensive coaches that plan there calls around the QB's strengths and weaknesses. I'm very disappointed in some of the refs calls.....after looking at some film.....bad calls influenced by the opposing teams moaning. Why are our coaches not hammering on these refs?