UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-23-2017, 07:59 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Ball St Player Dies

6'9" Redshirt Frosh forward Zach Hollywood appears to have committed suicide. Ball St, who we play in the opener, was expecting big things from him.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (08-23-2017)
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2017, 10:48 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Sad, all lives mattet.....life matters.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (08-24-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 10:55 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Willy418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of light
Just so sad.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:19 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
I don't understand things like this...so much to live for. So many young men and women yearn for a shot at D-1 college basketball...and he had his chance. I just don't get it.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:31 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
I will never forget nearly 30 years ago.

We had a cadet in our ROTC detachment at Wright State. He was new, no one really knew him all that well, but we were all preparing for our summer basic training between sophomore & junior years. We saw him at training on Thursday.

Sunday night I get a call that he had committed suicide the previous evening. Meeting his shattered parents at the funeral home. Wondering what the hell happened.

Apparently, he had a girlfriend who had broken up with him recently and he couldn't deal with the loss. He went over to her home to try to reconcile and, when she refused, shot himself there in her doorway.

I didn't understand then, and I don't understand now, but if someone ever talks about suicide, don't blow it off, get them help.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer14 (08-25-2017), Glen Clark (08-24-2017), Jack D (08-26-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 11:43 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Lost a very good friend about a decade ago. He was like a big brother to me at times when I was younger and rowdier. Looking back, to this day I am not sure where things went wrong for him. He had raised two great kids both of whom were in college at the time and doing well, he had a good career from all indications, and had been happily married for 22 years. He was always one of the happiest and most upbeat people you would ever want to talk too or be around, no matter what was going on in the world around us. Need help, he would be the first in line to give you a hand.

A couple of us who felt we were the closest to him never could quite pinpoint when or how things went wrong in his life, but one morning he was all over the morning news, and sadly we laid him to rest a few months later when his second attempt was successful. Never at any point was any indication given to any of us that he was unhappy with anything in regards to any aspect of his life. I still do not understand.

RIP good friend.

Prayers to the Ball State family and the family of the young man this thread is suppose to be about.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:59 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
I don't understand things like this...so much to live for. So many young men and women yearn for a shot at D-1 college basketball...and he had his chance. I just don't get it.
You can't use logic when it comes to suicide. Depression, bipolar, etc. The spectrum is vast and it is hard to diagnose. I know very good families that did everything they could for their kids but lost the battle. Look at Matt Derenbecker. Mental health issues are a big problem in this country and probably world wide.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (08-24-2017), Flyer69ers (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 09:29 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
I think I read that this kid had just lost his mother. The world of an 18/19 year old changes quickly and the psyche is fragile. While there is so much to live for as you say, sometimes people don't see it as the world seems to be crashing down on them. The younger you are the more short-sighted you are I'm afraid. So sad. A kid taking his life is really the worst kind of tragedy. I am sure Dayton will pay respect with a moment of silence before the game tips. Or at least we should. Having experienced more than our fair share of tragedy over the years, this news hits hard.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (08-24-2017)