User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Cosby/Sewell Updates

Jody Demling of the Louisville Courier Journal sez that Tom Crean of IU watched BG target Aaron Cosby of Louisville Male HS work out yesterday and offered him a scholarship immeditaely thereafter.

Josh Sewell, another 2010 kid from KY has Slick Rick of UL watching him.

Linkage: http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/blog.html

You gotta scroll down to find 'em.
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2008, 08:44 AM
1st Lieutenant

dannardo is a jewel in the roughdannardo is a jewel in the roughdannardo is a jewel in the roughdannardo is a jewel in the rough
Call me paranoid or pessimistic from years of recruiting battles lost, but, to me, the tone of update sounds like Cosby is a Crean lean.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 3,612 Times in 2,455 Posts
Mich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
2010 Recruiting

Any news on the 2010 recruiting trail? Chatter is Dayton is after a top Michigan guard.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:40 PM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mich Flyer View Post
Any news on the 2010 recruiting trail? Chatter is Dayton is after a top Michigan guard.
Cut the chatter then and keep quiet up there.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Commander in Chief

Mich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Guard from Michigan

I believe the guard Dayton is interested in is Saginaw's Devante Jackson.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mich Flyer View Post
I believe the guard Dayton is interested in is Saginaw's Devante Jackson.
They need a Combo or SG, not another PT Guard. JS needs a SG or Combo as a running mate
Old 10-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Commander in Chief

Understand what you are saying, but consider the comment hawkoo made today, "I wouldn't mind seeing him land another pg as well. we won't have much depth there considering thomas will be a senior and there is always the possibility of staten playing well enough to leave early."
Old 10-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Sid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant future
Staten Leaving Early

Let's not get giddy here. At 5'-8'' to 5'-10" (depending on who is measuring) and 160 lbs., Staten would have to be an unbelievable talent to be leaving early for the NBA. Let's be realistic -- even if he stays for four years, unless he has a major growth spurt, he still would not be a sure thing for the NBA. There arent too many players his size in the pros. I hope he is that good, but let's not get overly excited.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:30 AM
2nd Lieutenant

The Blur will become famous soon enough
I think that we should let Juwan be what he is which is a high school junior. We don't know how tall he will be or what his progress will be in the next few years. I will say this more and more people are talking about him having a chance to play at the highest level some day. His AAU coach and the Director think that he is vastly underated. In my opinion he has all the qualities that the scouts look for in a point guard except size, and yes size is a major issue. The one thing that scouts look for in a small point guard besides quickness is their ability to dunk, they feel that if a guard can dunk, then he has the ability to finish at the basket against big men. Juwan is starting to develop as a great athlete, with the ability to explode to the basket and not only dunk, but dunk on people. He dunked on 2 guys at the same time this summer during AAU. With that being said he also has phenomenal skills, with baseline to baseline speed that is awesome. To have a chance he still needs to work hard to continue to improve. Let's hope he becomes the player he can be, and hopefully UD will get a great guard and he will realize his dream of playing in the NBA someday.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up nice input

Originally Posted by The Blur View Post
I think that we should let Juwan be what he is which is a high school junior. We don't know how tall he will be or what his progress will be in the next few years. I will say this more and more people are talking about him having a chance to play at the highest level some day. His AAU coach and the Director think that he is vastly underated. In my opinion he has all the qualities that the scouts look for in a point guard except size, and yes size is a major issue. The one thing that scouts look for in a small point guard besides quickness is their ability to dunk, they feel that if a guard can dunk, then he has the ability to finish at the basket against big men. Juwan is starting to develop as a great athlete, with the ability to explode to the basket and not only dunk, but dunk on people. He dunked on 2 guys at the same time this summer during AAU. With that being said he also has phenomenal skills, with baseline to baseline speed that is awesome. To have a chance he still needs to work hard to continue to improve. Let's hope he becomes the player he can be, and hopefully UD will get a great guard and he will realize his dream of playing in the NBA someday.
Great post. Hard to argue with any of that. Good info too.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Commander in Chief

Smile

Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
They need a Combo or SG, not another PT Guard. JS needs a SG or Combo as a running mate
That is why they are recruiting Isaiah Sykes from Detroit Finney. He may wind up being Staten's partner guard.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Commander in Chief

According to Scout, Michigan is after Sykes also. Dayton is pursuing Sykes pretty heavily right now.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

The Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura about
Sykes may end up being very hard to get. He was at a fairly bad Detroit PSL school last year, and since has transfered to Detroit Finney....a solid program.

He was not on many radar screens after his soph. campaign but a lot are expecting him to be a top notch recruit after going to Finney.

I have heard BG is on him already, but I have also heard Izzo is on him as well. One PSL coach said he may be the best player in Detroit in the past 10 years....true or not I don't know, but if that is correct we will have a ton of competition for him. I read that as a quote, not making that portion up...I will try to find the link so everyone can see it.

It would not be the first time that a PSL coach has exaggerated talent level, but it sounds like he is blowing up big time.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Staff Writer

Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Tuna: Here it is, from the "Best of the Best" Hoops website run by Lou Dawkins:

"Isaiah Sykes a 6'5 SG from Detroit, MI/Finney is blowing up! One high major assistant told me he may be one of Detroit's top talents in the last 10 years. Can flat out score!!!!"

I'll have more on Sykes in the next "FTS."
Old 10-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

The Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura about
Well Michigan State may not need/get Sykes anymore...they just received a verbal from Byrd from Indiana, a four star 6-6 shooting guard...about the same size and position in the same class as Sykes.

I did see that Tenn. is on Sykes pretty hard, just word on the street as of right now. I would also assume Michigan is recruiting him, but I would be absolutely shocked if he went there, we have a much better chance than they do in my opinion. I hope our other Detroit players know him somehow...or get to know him.

BTW Swampy, a little off topic, but you may take interest in this...there is a young man in 8th grade...let me repeat, 8th grade in Lansing. He was invited to Kentucky's midnight madness event a little while back. How about this for bloodlines...the kid's father is Steve Haney Sr., former Lansing Everett All-State guard...his cousin is none other than Magic Johnson, also a Everett grad. I guess he is already 6'4" and should continue to grow, however as of now he plays a wing position. I would assume he is a MSU lock, I guess he already knows Izzo very well and Magic takes him to open gyms. Talk about pressure, my brother says everyone in town already says he will be better than the Vincent brothers, the Henderson brothers, Marcus Taylor, Ron Banks, Des. Ferguson, etc. Believe it or not there is also another 8th grader in Lansing making waves, not sure if you are familar with Lansing legend Dr. Tucker, but his son is supposed to be unbelievable as well. So if you are ever bored on a Saturday, you could trek up 96 to Lansing and watch some middle school bball...and possible take in a Henton vs. Horford match-up as well the night before when Eastern and Grand Ledge square off.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Staff Writer

Tuna:

Yeah, I've heard about the kid.

My life isn't quite that boring so I'll pass on going to see him. Got plenty of potential Flyer recruits here in Motown to see in action, thanks to Cornell Mann.

Tags
recruiting