User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017, 07:46 AM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Tactical coaching change late in the 2nd half or players change?

Right about the time we made our run and into OT, I noticed a defensive change. Curious if you think it was the players or the coaching staff. I think it was the players.

All game long the game plan was to avoid over-committing on defense. Gibbs is a good passer and guys are always back cutting for Davidson. If you over-commit and the defense gets into 4 on 3 scrambling situations it can lead to open 3's. It looked to me like Archie wanted everyone to just play their man straight up because we had an athletic advantage at every position. No need to get helter-skelter and end up with broken plays.

Right about the time Crosby checked in it looked to me like the players said screw this, we're going to get after it. Crosby gambled and stole one. Pollard stole 2 or 3 in a short spurt. The defense was scrambling and matchups got crazy (SOP for us). Davidson panicked and our energy level rose.

I wonder if this was actually the game plan, and I wonder if it was the players who basically decided they'd rather go down swinging. And if that's all true, I wonder if Miller took it as a lesson for his team.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-26-2017)
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2017, 07:50 AM
1st Lieutenant

mook has a spectacular aura aboutmook has a spectacular aura aboutmook has a spectacular aura about
Late in the second half I think they had to press passing lanes. I think Davidson's legs were a little tired too. They may have gotten some easy shots at times, but they did have to work the clock for them and Gibbs had been physically beat up a bit.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to mook For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (02-25-2017), Flyer 86 (02-26-2017), SeasonTicketFan (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 07:54 AM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
One other interesting note: Miller did not make a substitution after the 2:50 mark of the 2nd half. the last 7 minutes and 50 seconds of game time were his best 5. SS, Cooke, KD, KP, and XW. No subs in OT.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:54 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
I think Davidson was pretty tired. Gibbs and Aldridge both played over 40 minutes, and they really don't have anyone else. Once we weathered our drought, it was time for them to have one because their tired stars couldn't get free and no one else can score.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 08:14 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
One other interesting note: Miller did not make a substitution after the 2:50 mark of the 2nd half. the last 7 minutes and 50 seconds of game time were his best 5. SS, Cooke, KD, KP, and XW. No subs in OT.
Preview of the NCAA Tournament. The best will play, Archie is already managing minutes. I could see it with Scooch. Sccoch,Kyle,Charles and Kendall better get ready for heavy workloads starting in the A-10 Tournament
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-26-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 08:31 AM
Captain

shwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant future
Gibbs was tired for sure, missed both late free throws short. Usually happens when they are tired.

On top of that, davidson got every bounce imaginable throughout the game, so many questionable shots clanking in. I feel like that was as good of a game as they could play.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shwag33 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-26-2017), jack72 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 12:07 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,346 Times in 1,341 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think the big adjustment at halftime was less help on penetration and staying with your man, witnessed by 14 assists at halftime for Davidson to just 3 in the 2nd half and OT. While Gibbs did excel in a more individual one on one game it certainly neutralized Aldridge. I've also felt like the one on one type of game style is a more physical and tiring style for the offensive player and I think we also saw that with Gibbs wearing down late in the game and OT. I think it was AM and staff making a concerted effort to change the style of play and the players taking it to heart and executing the 2nd half game plan.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:13 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,343 Times in 450 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
I saw Archie yell out to them to start trapping on defense... so I think he initated it, and then the players started ramping up the D (taking more chances).
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
cobra8u (02-25-2017), Flyer 86 (02-26-2017), Gazoo (02-25-2017), mikeymo85 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 02:38 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
I saw something today in the replay that makes me glad I root for a True Team. Davidson had the ball late in the game. Specifically, Aldridge had the ball in the high post, outside the left elbow. Gibbs was being blanketed (by Cooke. IIRC) near the right elbow, and Pritchett was wide open on the left wing - no one within 10 feet of him. Aldridge looks in Pritchett's direction...and then passes it to Gibbs, who's still wearing a Cooke blanket. Yes. I believe they went scoreless on that possession.

Contrast that to a play at our end, that came when we were down 5, 72-67. Cooke is backing Gibbs down on the right side of the lane. 2 Davidson defenders start coming in to help Gibbs...but before they can close in on Cooke, he fires a seed to Kyle on the left wing, who calmly drains the triple, and now we're only down 2.

Give me 5 guys who trust each other with good reason to do so, over 2 guys who can score and 3 others who are simply trying to stay out of the way. I'll take that every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-26-2017), jack72 (02-25-2017), TXFlyerFan (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 02:53 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,722 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Archie did a great job utilizing his timeouts. They were both greatly needed and it is nice having a coach that uses them correctly instead of holding on to them.
Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-26-2017)