User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 01:46 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Flyers Dissed on WLW

Just heard Cunningham's show with Andy MacWilliams as a pre-season guest in re X hoops. Cunningham asked AMac about future NBE expansion. AMac said SLU should be a lock, and that Richmond was buddy-buddy with G-Town, making the arachnids the favorite for the 12th slot, and leaving our Flyers perpetually relegated to the A-10. He then went on to say that we hadn't won an NCAA game since the JOB era.

While AMac suffers selective amnesia in re the 2009 tourney, the truth hurts, and he's generally right in re UD's relevance on the national hoops radar since the 1980's. That said, UD's relevance to TV ratings will definitely get the eye of FS1, so I don't put too much stock in what the taking heads at WLW say (and I say this as a WLW listener). But it just reinforces the need to regain a position of relevance on the national stage...

And that begins tomorrow...

LET'S GO, FLYERS!!!
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,178 Times in 4,206 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, those comments make it sound like Xavier is against UD getting into the Big East. It sure sounds like Xavier is not supporting UD's Big East candidacy.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:28 PM
1st Lieutenant

cjswartz is infamous around these partscjswartz is infamous around these partscjswartz is infamous around these partscjswartz is infamous around these partscjswartz is infamous around these parts
The only place I really see anything to suggest otherwise (us getting in the NBE) is on this board. Pretty much everywhere else I've read, people don't think we have much to offer the NBE. Richmond seems like a great fit for the NBE, especially with the recent Robins center upgrades and more recent tourney success with the sweet 16 a few years ago, they bring a new market (they're well outside the DC metro area), and have Georgetown backing them. Seems like a logical choice coupled with the addition of St. Louis, adding a western and eastern team.

I've tried to remain positive about us getting into the Big East eventually, but I just don't see us offering enough recent basketball success to get in, which is what I think they're really looking for. They want to be a major conference in college b-ball and adding teams that go 64-64 since 2005 in a mid-major confernce just won't do anything for them. We need sweet 16 appearances soon and often if we want to seriously hope to get into the big east.

We can still see great basketball success in the A10 if we do get left out of NBE expansion though. It's not the end of the world at all, as we've seen A10 teams have great tourney success over the years.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:41 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
I really like the potential of this year's team, as well as the direction the program seems to be going with recruiting (more BB skills in the last 2 recruiting classes than we've had in a long time), but it must translate into success on the court.

The guys have a chance to make a very positive statement this year in Maui. I hope they're all up to the challenge (and I mean the coaches and the players). If they fail to make any waves there (pun intended), then their next chance to do anything on a national stage won't come until the A-10 Tourney next March. Such is the life of a historically-middling mid-major.
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Major

Gem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant future
Honestly, when was the last time anyone from the Cincinnati media market had anything positive to say about Dayton?

I'm so glad the season is starting tomorrow.
Mad Props to Gem City For This Totally Excellent Post:
NYCFLYER (11-09-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
I think it says a lot about the folks in the Queen City. They like to cope with their civic inferiority complex by reminding themselves, "at least we are better than Dayton."
Old 11-08-2013, 05:13 PM

Thanked 10,176 Times in 5,904 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
McWilliams is an X fan. He is a has been announcer, who knows nothing you and I don't.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
All this talk has me thinking... would I rather Dayton become a Gonzaga/Butler(horizon era) or a Providence? Xavier is about to become a Providence. Other than an improved schedule I'm not convinced that the NBE is a good thing for us in regards the NCAA appearances.
Mad Props to UD90 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 06:51 PM

Thanked 1,080 Times in 676 Posts
udx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant future
Candidly, I just want to see this team do well in the A-10 and let our record speak for itself. Then the NBE issue can be taken up.

I agree with T-Bone and feel good about the opportunities for the team Archie is going to put on the floor.
Mad Props to udx2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
T-Bone 84 (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 07:17 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by UD90 View Post
All this talk has me thinking... would I rather Dayton become a Gonzaga/Butler(horizon era) or a Providence? Xavier is about to become a Providence. Other than an improved schedule I'm not convinced that the NBE is a good thing for us in regards the NCAA appearances.
Great perspective, UD90. I do believe that, in the long run, from a prestige standpoint, it'd be best if UD was in the NBE. But to your point, if we'd been asked to join now, we'd be sitting in "Coach Class" with Providence, Seton Hall, & DePaul (& maybe X & Butler, now that Stevens has gone to the NBA), instead of "First Class" with Marquette & Georgetown. We need to prove ourselves against the class of the A-10 (VCU, LaSalle, SLU, etc.) before we can consider ourselves qualified to rub (trade? ) elbows with the blue bloods. And for most of the past decade, we haven't proven much.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-08-2013), UD90 (11-09-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,618 Times in 5,097 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Is that the old X fan guy who writes for Musketeer Madness? Delusional.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:15 PM
1st Lieutenant

cobra8u has a spectacular aura aboutcobra8u has a spectacular aura aboutcobra8u has a spectacular aura about
I think all Dayton fans should boycott WLW radio.........I cant stand Lance McCallister that dude is the worst sports talk guy they ever had, bring back Andy Furman......
Old 11-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Captain

oRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant future
NBE big day comes and goes and their best chances for early marquee w's go unfulfilled with Georgetown losing to an under manned Oregon and St. John's losing (as expected) to Wisconsin. Providence did beat BC at home in OT...
Mad Props to oRed For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 01:18 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by oRed View Post
NBE big day comes and goes and their best chances for early marquee w's go unfulfilled with Georgetown losing to an under manned Oregon and St. John's losing (as expected) to Wisconsin. Providence did beat BC at home in OT...
I watched the G'town v Oregon game from Korea. If the Hoyas are picked second in the NBE and Oregon is picked fourth in the PAC-12, the PAC-12 is going to be tough this year. Oregon was missing several key players, as I understand it.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:19 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cobra8u View Post
I think all Dayton fans should boycott WLW radio.........I cant stand Lance McCallister that dude is the worst sports talk guy they ever had, bring back Andy Furman......

Furman over McCallister? LOL No thank you.

I vote to boycott the Big East speculation discussion. Let's just focus on trying to win more than 8 games in conference.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
LI Flyer (11-09-2013), rollo (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,945 Times in 2,942 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
Is that the old X fan guy who writes for Musketeer Madness? Delusional.
Andy Mac is a Captain Kangaroo-looking mofo, ain't he?
Attached Images
File Type: gif andymac.gif (3.6 KB, 4 views)
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-09-2013), Tony T 71 (11-09-2013)