Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
Kav's intro

Anyone else notice the number of boo's when Kav was announced at the start of the game? Honestly people, how long are we going to play this game? If you don't like it, go watch tOSU - where everyone does everything by the books...

What message is that going to send to possible recruits, or kids that may be thinking of transferring out?

Mad Props to pmcmullen For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (11-11-2013)
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
The booing must have been around you. I did not hear any booing vs. IPFW or at the Red/Blue game.

Anyone else hear booing at either event?
Old 11-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
NO! I heard no booing, In fact the applause I heard was about the same for him that is was for all the others.
Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
It did not come through on the broadcast and I replayed it a couple of times.
My son was at the game and didn't hear any booing when Kavs was introduced.

Cancer Survivor Amen
Old 11-11-2013, 09:47 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pmcmullen View Post
Anyone else notice the number of boo's when Kav was announced at the start of the game? Honestly people, how long are we going to play this game? If you don't like it, go watch tOSU - where everyone does everything by the books...

What message is that going to send to possible recruits, or kids that may be thinking of transferring out?

You forgot to turn your cell phone off after talking with Rollo
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (11-11-2013), rollo (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't hear anything and I was listening for it.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Captain

Crunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the rough
I heard zero boos for anyone during the introductions.

Switching gears a little, other than the students (who were great), I thought the crowd was weak on Saturday. Not a great turnout in the lower bowl, not once did the crowd get on their feet late in the game for a defensive stand. Maybe the nice weather had something to do with the turnout, and the fans were a little shocked that the game was so close.

I will say it was good to see the students turn out in numbers and be loud. Hopefully it is like that all year.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:00 AM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Crunk Juice View Post
I heard zero boos for anyone during the introductions.

Switching gears a little, other than the students (who were great), I thought the crowd was weak on Saturday. Not a great turnout in the lower bowl, not once did the crowd get on their feet late in the game for a defensive stand. Maybe the nice weather had something to do with the turnout, and the fans were a little shocked that the game was so close.

I will say it was good to see the students turn out in numbers and be loud. Hopefully it is like that all year.
Would love to have seen it. Have Fox Sports Ohio and others on my Directv but traveling in non A-10 country the hotels don't have those stations, and it appears that UD will not be streaming many this year so us out of towners won't be able to see our flyers. Fifty years of following the flyers and it comes down to Bucky and Larry. This is 2013 not the 60's and 70's.

Interesting enough got a call right after the game from the "tU" asking for donations for scholarship fund etc; wrong time to call as I was peeved I couldn't get to see the game. I have followed the flyers since the 50's and have been a loyal fan even though I went to UCLA back when Bill Walton and company lead the NCAA in every category and whom the flyers took Walton and company to triple overtime. What a great game.

Got to get the streaming back for the games.
jack72 (11-11-2013), UD Sam (11-12-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 10:01 AM

Thanked 2,208 Times in 974 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't boo Kav, but I wanted to boo only because I was hoping to have Scott be the starter. Although Kav played pretty well, I still believe Scott will crack the starting rotation by the end of the season.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:28 AM
1st Lieutenant

UDFLIES is a name known to allUDFLIES is a name known to allUDFLIES is a name known to allUDFLIES is a name known to allUDFLIES is a name known to allUDFLIES is a name known to all
I heard no boos. It actually seemed to me like the cheers for Kavs were louder than the other players. Although, this could be because he was the last player announced.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
I'm actually glad to hear so many people say they didn't hear anything negative, but in my area it was undeniable.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:43 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone else notice the number of boo's when Kav was announced at the start of the game?
I don't know where you sit, but I did hear quite a few come from above my right shoulder in the student section. I know what I heard as I said something to the guy sitting next to me.

It wouldn't have been noticeable to the entire arena due to the the noise in general, but I definitely heard it as well...most coming from the 200's in the student section.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pmcmullen
If you do something bad enough to get suspended from the university for a year, you'll upset some fans
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (11-11-2013), Fan4allUDSports (11-11-2013), Marysville Flyer (11-11-2013), rollo (11-11-2013), Townie (11-12-2013), udstevied_D87 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Major

SHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Would love to have seen it. Have Fox Sports Ohio and others on my Directv but traveling in non A-10 country the hotels don't have those stations, and it appears that UD will not be streaming many this year so us out of towners won't be able to see our flyers. Fifty years of following the flyers and it comes down to Bucky and Larry. This is 2013 not the 60's and 70's.

Interesting enough got a call right after the game from the "tU" asking for donations for scholarship fund etc; wrong time to call as I was peeved I couldn't get to see the game. I have followed the flyers since the 50's and have been a loyal fan even though I went to UCLA back when Bill Walton and company lead the NCAA in every category and whom the flyers took Walton and company to triple overtime. What a great game.

Got to get the streaming back for the games.
I'm sorry but this is kind of silly. Literally any sports bar with a satellite dish will have Fox Sports Ohio. Why do you expect there to be a free internet stream for a game with rights that were purchased by a TV station? This years TV schedule is the best it has EVER been. I am an out-of-towner (Chicago) and with my current TV package I am going to get 25 of our 30 regular season games in HD on my 55" TV. I've always been of the opinion that I will gladly pay/go to a bar to see the Flyers on a quality broadcast, and this year that wish was granted.
Mad Props to SHQCKEY For This Totally Excellent Post:
superfan99 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 11:09 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
If you do something bad enough to get suspended from the university for a year, you'll upset some fans
But the average recruit will have no idea about the suspension, nor will they care in most cases.

All they will know is home fans booed one of our own.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Captain

UD_NY is just really niceUD_NY is just really niceUD_NY is just really niceUD_NY is just really nice
Recruits will ask and will get an answer.

Hopefully they will get a better answer then the fans received.

And hopefully they will understand that the fans will hold the players responsible for their actions.

Last edited by UD_NY; 11-11-2013 at 11:49 AM..
Old 11-11-2013, 12:18 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by SHQCKEY View Post
I'm sorry but this is kind of silly. Literally any sports bar with a satellite dish will have Fox Sports Ohio. Why do you expect there to be a free internet stream for a game with rights that were purchased by a TV station? This years TV schedule is the best it has EVER been. I am an out-of-towner (Chicago) and with my current TV package I am going to get 25 of our 30 regular season games in HD on my 55" TV. I've always been of the opinion that I will gladly pay/go to a bar to see the Flyers on a quality broadcast, and this year that wish was granted.
Making a lot assumptions. First off I paid $114 for annual all-access package then another $40 for the A-10 package as they advertised they would stream all A-10 games, so I am hardly expecting something for nothing. The U made a decision; take the money from TV contracts and run, hell with out-of-towners. They want me and others to donate $$$ to their fund but we are able to see the games.

So silly is posting about a person or situation you don't know about. Don't know what world you live in but I can assure you when in Texas Oklahoma etc the sports bars are not going to change the channel for one person to see games while the rest of the patrons want to see local teams. In Chicago you might be able to do that but not every flyer fan lives or travels in the midwest or east. What about the flyer fans across the pond, you think their bars would carry the flyers, get real.

Like I said I have the Directv package, the CBS All-Access package and the A-10 package, yet cannot see my flyers unless I am home or in the midwest/east part of the country. Recording it on DVR is okay but not the same as live broadcast.

Just for the record I do not expect the U to stream the games for free, that is why I bought the packages. I ponyed up and expect a return on my investment as advertised.

Someone suggested a sling box which I will look into.

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 11-11-2013 at 12:21 PM..
jack72 (11-11-2013), m21eagle45 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by UD_NY View Post
Recruits will ask and will get an answer.
If I'm a touted recruit, I'm being invited to go watch a handful of teams play. If I go to a school where fans boo their own players when their name is announced, there is a very good chance I won't care what explanation I get. I'd be picking a different school.

The bottom line is that Kav is a Flyer - like it or not.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to pmcmullen For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (11-11-2013), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Colonel

udstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud of

And if you don't like it you can't express your opinion?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by udstevied_D87 View Post
Yes, but by boo'ing when they call his name at the beginning of a game?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Major

SHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to beholdSHQCKEY is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Making a lot assumptions. First off I paid $114 for annual all-access package then another $40 for the A-10 package as they advertised they would stream all A-10 games, so I am hardly expecting something for nothing. The U made a decision; take the money from TV contracts and run, hell with out-of-towners. They want me and others to donate $$$ to their fund but we are able to see the games.

So silly is posting about a person or situation you don't know about. Don't know what world you live in but I can assure you when in Texas Oklahoma etc the sports bars are not going to change the channel for one person to see games while the rest of the patrons want to see local teams. In Chicago you might be able to do that but not every flyer fan lives or travels in the midwest or east. What about the flyer fans across the pond, you think their bars would carry the flyers, get real.

Like I said I have the Directv package, the CBS All-Access package and the A-10 package, yet cannot see my flyers unless I am home or in the midwest/east part of the country. Recording it on DVR is okay but not the same as live broadcast.

Just for the record I do not expect the U to stream the games for free, that is why I bought the packages. I ponyed up and expect a return on my investment as advertised.

Someone suggested a sling box which I will look into.
I shouldn't have assumed you were trying to get anything for free, I apologize for that.

The point I was trying to make is you are not completely hamstrung as you portrayed in your original post. Any sports bar worth anything will absolutely change a TV in the corner in exchange for your business unless one of their teams is playing at the exact same time. In "the world I live in," I watched a game in a Denver bar once, so it's possible.

Sling box is a great suggestion and I'm mad I didn't think of that in my original post. A buddy of mine has one and he can watch his cable anywhere with an internet connection. Pretty cool and relatively inexpensive.
Avid Flyer (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 01:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udstevied_D87 View Post
You have every right to express your opinion, but when a prized recruit chooses XYZ University instead of UD due to the tremendous support of the fans at XYZ University, do not come on here to complain. Booing one of our own during pregame introductions sends a terrible message to 17 year olds sitting in the stands (typically near the student section) considering where they want to spend the next 4 years of their life. I do not care if the U does tell the recruit the rest of the story, still not a good image and the slightest little negative can lead these kids to go elsewhere, especially when we are trying to go head to head like we currently are with some of the BCS schools for our recruiting.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
IndianaFlyer (11-11-2013), pmcmullen (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 01:53 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I shouldn't have assumed you were trying to get anything for free, I apologize for that.

The point I was trying to make is you are not completely hamstrung as you portrayed in your original post. Any sports bar worth anything will absolutely change a TV in the corner in exchange for your business unless one of their teams is playing at the exact same time. In "the world I live in," I watched a game in a Denver bar once, so it's possible.

Sling box is a great suggestion and I'm mad I didn't think of that in my original post. A buddy of mine has one and he can watch his cable anywhere with an internet connection. Pretty cool and relatively inexpensive.
So we are getting together in Columbus this Saturday with some friends, like us that have kids at tOSU. What do you think my chances are of getting a sports bar to put the Flyer game on at noon (same time as tOSU v. Illinois)?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Any sports bar worth anything will absolutely change a TV in the corner in exchange for your business unless one of their teams is playing at the exact same time.
What is this? The 1990s? I used to have to resort to doing that or try to pick up Larry & Bucky on a feeble 1290 radio signal on my car radio.

The intrawebs changed all of that. Up until this year I could webstream the majority of UD games; this year it is slim pickins.

This is not progress--it is a step backwards.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer69ers (11-11-2013), jack72 (11-11-2013), pmcmullen (11-11-2013), redbengal (11-11-2013), Tony T 71 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 02:01 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
But the average recruit will have no idea about the suspension, nor will they care in most cases.

All they will know is home fans booed one of our own.
Do visitors from other teams boo, if so who is to tell if it is a UD fan or an opponent's fan. I've been to games where the visitors do boo host players, mostly students for fun. But a boo is a boo.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Major

Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
What is this? The 1990s? I used to have to resort to doing that or try to pick up Larry & Bucky on a feeble 1290 radio signal on my car radio.

The intrawebs changed all of that. Up until this year I could webstream the majority of UD games; this year it is slim pickins.

This is not progress--it is a step backwards.
I will go to a bar 100 times out of 100 if I can see the game on a quality broadcast rather than watching an internet stream from one camera in the rafters of UD arena. I guess I am in a minority for thinking more games on TV are good for the program?
Old 11-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
There are a couple of guys on this site that just can’t seem to let the Kav situation go. It is OVER! Those in charge have ruled, and the punishment has been served. 99.9% of the people have moved on – weather they like the decisions or not. It is in the rearview mirror, getting smaller every day. I am getting pretty sick of the same few guys that continue to want to refight the whole situation as often as they get a forum to do that….. Everyone would be a lot better off to just ignore these guys……
GO FLYERS!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (11-11-2013), pmcmullen (11-11-2013), TA111 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 02:30 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
If I'm a touted recruit, I'm being invited to go watch a handful of teams play. If I go to a school where fans boo their own players when their name is announced, there is a very good chance I won't care what explanation I get. I'd be picking a different school.

Your theory goes something like this?

1. Kav is introduced
2. Fans display localized booing
3. Prized Recruit frets idly that the local fans boo players for no reason, does not ask anyone why, assumes fans in Dayton are meanies, commits to another school.

What if Kav's nickname is Boomer ("Booooo-mer")? The PR would not bother to ask? What if DJ Karstensens walks on the floor during introductions--nobody better boo, the PR will assume all athletes are targeted as villans at UD.

Sorry, I just can't agree with your reaction. You give no credit to PR who watches the entire game and sees 12 other scholarship players cheered with enthusiasm in a great environment. If PR is that dumb please go somewhere else. . . so you (PR) don't end up getting booed for something inappropriate.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (11-11-2013), Marysville Flyer (11-11-2013), rollo (11-11-2013), shocka43 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 03:12 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Personally, I just sit on my hands with respect to him. At intros, during game, no matter what happens.

Sibert could have missed the three, he could have tip dunked it home while getting fouled and converted the and one. Would have stayed quiet.
11 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
anthonycharles (11-11-2013), ClaytonFlyerFan (11-11-2013), flyerfanatic86 (11-11-2013), Gazoo (11-11-2013), IndianaFlyer (11-11-2013), pmcmullen (11-11-2013), rollo (11-11-2013), shocka43 (11-11-2013), Tony T 71 (11-11-2013), Townie (11-12-2013), Zeke (11-12-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 03:21 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
Personally, I just sit on my hands with respect to him. At intros, during game, no matter what happens.

Sibert could have missed the three, he could have tip dunked it home while getting fouled and converted the and one. Would have stayed quiet.
I personally believe that is the most appropriate and classy response.

Keep it classy San Dayton.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD_NY (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
I will go to a bar 100 times out of 100 if I can see the game on a quality broadcast rather than watching an internet stream from one camera in the rafters of UD arena. I guess I am in a minority for thinking more games on TV are good for the program?

Problems with going to a bar to watch:
1. With apps and bevs, it's $20/person vs $10 total at home to buy the stream.
2. Unless you find a quiet bar, and no big games are happening simultaneously, you won't get sound with it. Even if it's Hartsock and Dukes I'll take sound vs silence.
3. Will it really be on? I can't count the number of times I've called a bar to verify they'll be able to pull in the game only to find out they couldn't when I arrived. Now you've got a bar tab going while wondering if you'll get home in time to listen to the 2nd half.

Granted, that last one happens less frequently these days now that games aren't on channels like "Ku band, ch. 691". But it can still get confusing with, for instance, CSTV National vs Regional.

I figured the days of free streams for us out-of-towners would be ending soon. But at least give us a stream we can pay for. Black out the stream in the local markets like MLB does. I have no problem watching the D-Backs on FS AZ while paying to see the Reds on a high quality video stream via mlb.tv.
Mad Props to redbengal For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (11-12-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Major

number21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant future
Kavs is going to be a hot button all year for fans. EVeryone has their own opinion of what UD should or shouldn't have done. The facts are that we will never really know what happened because only two people know the truth.

My opinion and mine only is that something happened and the suspension was justified. I have heard Kav stories and none of them are of him helping little old ladies cross the street. Again my opinion is that he should not be in a uniform this year and while I will not boo I will not cheer either. This board would be melting down if X let a kid back under these circumstances.

I have always been of the belief that he gets a break on this board because this board is composed of a lot of people that live south of town. Specifically Centerville where he is the beloved boy that went to CHS.

I would much rather see Gavs than Kavs.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by number21 View Post
...while I will not boo I will not cheer either.
Those of you that are making these kinds of comments hit the nail on the head (IMHO). If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:14 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,693 Times in 2,511 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
I didn't boo Kav, but I wanted to boo only because I was hoping to have Scott be the starter. Although Kav played pretty well, I still believe Scott will crack the starting rotation by the end of the season.
I like Scott alot but he is way out of control and is a foul machine. Kav is much more of a steadying force and plays far more in control.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:24 PM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Most out of towners will pay for streaming. Why doesn't UD put it together and charge whatever it takes. These are people that support the school and the program, and help recruiting students and players from other areas.

Secondly, what about recruits and potential recruits who might watch the game?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (11-12-2013), Flyer69ers (11-12-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts exactly. I will not cheer for him, I won't even refer to him by name on this board. He is simply #35. I will not nor would I ever boo any college kid, especially one wearing a Dayton uniform.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to anthonycharles For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (11-11-2013), rollo (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 04:52 PM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TerryK_67 View Post
There are a couple of guys on this site that just can’t seem to let the Kav situation go. It is OVER! Those in charge have ruled, and the punishment has been served. 99.9% of the people have moved on – weather they like the decisions or not. It is in the rearview mirror, getting smaller every day. I am getting pretty sick of the same few guys that continue to want to refight the whole situation as often as they get a forum to do that….. Everyone would be a lot better off to just ignore these guys……
GO FLYERS!
So my niece's boyfriend got arrested for dealing heroin in early October...but since I wasn't there, don't know both sides of the story and can't access the police report I guess I should move on and invite him over for Thanksgiving, right?

Oh, and two of his ex-girlfriends, who each have a kid by him, are telling my niece to run like hell away...but since I don't know them or their kids and have never seen the birth certificate(s), I guess it's all hearsay and I assume you'd advise me to welcome him with open arms, a standing ovation....and a seat next to my 12-year old daughter.

No, thanks. I think he'd be better off and more welcome at your house this Thanksgiving...after all, you don't know - or care to know - anything about him or his situation so he's obviously harmless....and kids will be kids, right? Please send me your address so I can tell him where he can go and be welcomed.

In the meantime, I'll boo and cheer for anyone I choose.

Last edited by rollo; 11-11-2013 at 05:12 PM..
Old 11-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Major

Originally Posted by redbengal View Post
Problems with going to a bar to watch:
1. With apps and bevs, it's $20/person vs $10 total at home to buy the stream.
2. Unless you find a quiet bar, and no big games are happening simultaneously, you won't get sound with it. Even if it's Hartsock and Dukes I'll take sound vs silence.
3. Will it really be on? I can't count the number of times I've called a bar to verify they'll be able to pull in the game only to find out they couldn't when I arrived. Now you've got a bar tab going while wondering if you'll get home in time to listen to the 2nd half.

Granted, that last one happens less frequently these days now that games aren't on channels like "Ku band, ch. 691". But it can still get confusing with, for instance, CSTV National vs Regional.

I figured the days of free streams for us out-of-towners would be ending soon. But at least give us a stream we can pay for. Black out the stream in the local markets like MLB does. I have no problem watching the D-Backs on FS AZ while paying to see the Reds on a high quality video stream via mlb.tv.
The point isn't really going to a bar vs. having an available internet stream. The point is the number of quality TV broadcasts that will occur for games this year vs. those that will only be available by a crappy internet stream. If you are willing to pay for good internet streams, why wouldn't you use that same money to buy a sports pack from a satellite/cable provider for 5 months out of the year? This year, I will be able to watch 25 of 30 games (maybe more if they get picked up) on my TV in HD, and I do not live in SW Ohio.

The point is it's out there, so if you're willing to pay, simply pay for the media outlet where the games are available. This year (and hopefully for many years to come) it happens to be cable or satellite for the most part.
bigred (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 05:28 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 810 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
But Rollo, since you've chosen not to attend the games, it really doesn't matter to the rest of us whether you boo loudly and incessantly, right? If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?

Look, your position is clear. And your analogy is mostly apropos, so far as I'm concerned. But I'm in Doug's camp: I wouldn't cheer; I wouldn't boo.

I hardly post anymore because, much as I appreciate the great job Chris does with the site, reading some of this stuff over and over and over again is ridiculous. Your views -- and those of just about everybody else, pro or con -- have been stated ad nauseum.

Redundancy is boring.

Last edited by The Fly; 11-11-2013 at 05:31 PM..
12 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (11-12-2013), CE80 (11-11-2013), cintibUD (11-12-2013), CraSch (11-12-2013), GoFlyer (11-12-2013), jpk4ud (11-11-2013), springborofan (11-12-2013), TA111 (11-11-2013), TerryK_67 (11-11-2013), Tony T 71 (11-11-2013), Townie (11-12-2013), vfly (11-12-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Just off the Jet

Curley G will become famous soon enough
I heard boos after Kav was introduced. I sit in section 224 and heard people further up behind me. Not saying it's right or wrong, but I think people can choose to cheer or boo however they want as long as they do so in a civil manner.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton has built a reputation for having some of the most knowledgeable and passionate basketball fans in the world. And yet, I sometimes feel like at least half of the posters here would rather be sitting in Judge Judy's courtroom, assessing guilt or innocence and deciding what they thought of a person's character instead of watching a UD basketball game. It's absolutely mind-boggling.

Unless you actually know the guys on the team, stalk them on social media or maybe have access to the super secret Dayton Flyers Reality Television Network which gives you an idea who these guys are, it just seems much more sane to root for the program, to cheer (or boo if you really want) the team vs individuals. I feel like what it comes down to is basically cheering the jersey. Sure we know the name of the jersey, the stats, and certain characteristics of individual's games, but that's just context for watching how the team plays together as a unit.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that last I checked basketball was a team sport. You can't or shouldn't compare it (not to pick on Rollo) to life or to things that aren't team sports.

You guys do like basketball, right?

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 11-11-2013 at 07:11 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (11-12-2013), The Fly (11-11-2013), Tony T 71 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 08:21 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
3 Team Scenarios...in order of preference:

1) Winning with winners. We've had plenty of these types of teams in my 50 yrs. Likeable kids with success to match....'84 comes to mind...and many others.

2) Losing with winners. We've had a couple of these types of teams, too....like the end of the Donoher years... I'll always support a losing team made up of winner kids. And based on our attendance records at the Arena, I'm in the majority there. Which leads me to the last category...

3) Win with losers. I'll never support a team of losers...and there's one in particular on this team that doesn't deserve my support or the name on the front of his jersey...and 1 more who's making it very hard to be liked.

Last edited by rollo; 11-11-2013 at 08:24 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (11-12-2013), shocka43 (11-12-2013), udstevied_D87 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 08:33 PM

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
So my niece's boyfriend got arrested for dealing heroin in early October...but since I wasn't there, don't know both sides of the story and can't access the police report I guess I should move on and invite him over for Thanksgiving, right?

Oh, and two of his ex-girlfriends, who each have a kid by him, are telling my niece to run like hell away...but since I don't know them or their kids and have never seen the birth certificate(s), I guess it's all hearsay and I assume you'd advise me to welcome him with open arms, a standing ovation....and a seat next to my 12-year old daughter.

No, thanks. I think he'd be better off and more welcome at your house this Thanksgiving...after all, you don't know - or care to know - anything about him or his situation so he's obviously harmless....and kids will be kids, right? Please send me your address so I can tell him where he can go and be welcomed.

In the meantime, I'll boo and cheer for anyone I choose.

Judge not least you be judged...Saint Rollo

Cancer Survivor Amen
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Tony T 71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (11-12-2013), GoFlyer (11-12-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 09:44 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone else notice the number of boo's when Kav was announced at the start of the game? . . .
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
I don't know where you sit, but I did hear quite a few come from above my right shoulder in the student section. I know what I heard as I said something to the guy sitting next to me. . .
Originally Posted by Curley G View Post
I heard boos after Kav was introduced. I sit in section 224 and heard people further up behind me. . .

i think we've triangulated R____'s seat location . . .

Mad Props to Glen Clark For This Totally Excellent Post:
IndianaFlyer (11-12-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
3 Team Scenarios...in order of preference:

1) Winning with winners. We've had plenty of these types of teams in my 50 yrs. Likeable kids with success to match....'84 comes to mind...and many others.

2) Losing with winners. We've had a couple of these types of teams, too....like the end of the Donoher years... I'll always support a losing team made up of winner kids. And based on our attendance records at the Arena, I'm in the majority there. Which leads me to the last category...

3) Win with losers. I'll never support a team of losers...and there's one in particular on this team that doesn't deserve my support or the name on the front of his jersey...and 1 more who's making it very hard to be liked.
Team Scenario I like..._avier version
1) Losing with losers.
Mad Props to jumpin' joe For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
For the entirety of the season my seat location is about 3.5 miles SE of the Arena, Section 45419.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:46 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post

JohnR is over there though...maybe it was him?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:52 AM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't hear any boos either. I'm in the end zone opposite the students. Couldn't have been very loud.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:07 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Jay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to behold
student section

I attended the Duquesne opener Saturday afternoon. The attendance was reported as 2200 but it was closer to 1000. A season ticket holder (Duquesne grad) in front of me commented on how nice it was to see the students turn out for the game. I counted the student section: 23! The Dukes look better, more athletic with three or four transfers and junior college players.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jay O'Leary For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (11-12-2013), jack72 (11-12-2013), Tony T 71 (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 10:20 AM
General

Originally Posted by Tony T 71 View Post
Judge not least you be judged...Saint Rollo
Just because this line of thinking always seems to lead to (IMO) an incorrect conclusion:

9 I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people-- 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. 12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?13 God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."

At one extreme (which is wrong) is the "never judge anyone" crowd. At the other extreme (which is wrong) is the "expel sinners and never forgive" crowd.

I'm not taking a position as it relates to this specific thread, just saying both extremes are wrong.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:32 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...erica/3497915/

If Justin Bieber can get boooo'd (twice!), anybody can get boooo'd.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute

Personally...I doubt it.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Just because this line of thinking always seems to lead to (IMO) an incorrect conclusion:

9 I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people-- 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. 12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?13 God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."

At one extreme (which is wrong) is the "never judge anyone" crowd. At the other extreme (which is wrong) is the "expel sinners and never forgive" crowd.

I'm not taking a position as it relates to this specific thread, just saying both extremes are wrong.

***Gazoo, so your NOT taking a position "as it relates to this particular thread" but you just decided to post to tell everyone that there are two "extremes" (those that judge and those that don't) and BOTH OF THEM ARE WRONG? That's kinda' interesting!
Old 11-12-2013, 04:03 PM
General

Originally Posted by College B-Ball Fan View Post
***Gazoo, so your NOT taking a position "as it relates to this particular thread" but you just decided to post to tell everyone that there are two "extremes" (those that judge and those that don't) and BOTH OF THEM ARE WRONG? That's kinda' interesting!
No, I just get tired of the "you're not supposed to ever judge anyone for anything" mantra that has been MISinterpreted so often. I was saying that I'm not taking a position that Kav should be kicked out of the family or not--only that people can't just keep saying this phrase over and over again as if it's true. The Bible just doesn't say that, which was my only point. Nothing to do with Kav because we're talking about basketball here not something much more serious.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:08 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,693 Times in 2,511 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
For the entirety of the season my seat location is about 3.5 miles SE of the Arena, Section 45419.
Best news I've heard all day.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (11-12-2013), longtimefan (11-12-2013), UD Sam (11-12-2013), UDFLIES (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 04:10 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Personally, I will miss him at the games as my seats are right next to his.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:59 PM
General of the Air Force

Come on Shqckey, you're better than that, taking it to the extremes. No one is saying more games on TV for UD is not better; what I and others are saying it is not easy to get Dayton Flyers on TV in a bar or anywhere outside of the midwest. Down here in Texas they don't even have the Big Ten on the Tube in most bars and if they have it available do you think for one minute the locals care one bit about the Big Ten. And if they don't care about the Big 10 do you think they care about the A-10 and our Dayton Flyers.

I have gone to Buffalo Wild wings who have TV's all over the place and other sports bars and they do not carry nor do they want to carry Big10 A10 of the Dayton Flyers unless its against one of their teams.

I am all for more TV coverage as are the others. The A-10 just recently announced a Digital TV deal, I bought the package (4 months worth for a trial) and so far no flyer streams on said network.

Will be interesting if the money they make on the TV deals is greater than what they could lose on their fund raising efforts. I know I was in no mood to talk about a contribution to the fund after not being able to witness the flyers. Gotta remember I am a fan not an alum.

Sunday I ponyed up another 14.95 to watch the ladies play Iowa, so I am not opposed to paying for the streaming should UD decide they want to charge, but first they need clean up their streaming, its not first rate yet.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:10 PM
General of the Air Force

The point isn't really going to a bar vs. having an available internet stream. The point is the number of quality TV broadcasts that will occur for games this year vs. those that will only be available by a crappy internet stream. If you are willing to pay for good internet streams, why wouldn't you use that same money to buy a sports pack from a satellite/cable provider for 5 months out of the year? This year, I will be able to watch 25 of 30 games (maybe more if they get picked up) on my TV in HD, and I do not live in SW Ohio.

The point is it's out there, so if you're willing to pay, simply pay for the media outlet where the games are available. This year (and hopefully for many years to come) it happens to be cable or satellite for the most opart.
We get it you are sold on the TV deals, what you don't get is the troubles us out of towners are dealing with. You make it sound so easy, and for you maybe it was/is, but we are not all getting the same results you think is readily available. Hotels don't carry all these sports packages. In Texas we have Fox Sports SW etc, not Ohio, not midwest etc. In a couple weeks I'll be in the midwest and hopefully be able to see the games in bars, hotels, etc. If I get a chance to stop by my home I will try the sling box. In my job I can find myself anywhere from Arizona, Texas to NJ etc and have to take what the area offers.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 PM

UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Almost all cable and satellite providers will sell a package with every sports channel that exists for $5 to $10 a month. I can get a package that includes every Fox regional and all other cable regionals.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 PM
1st Lieutenant

uddave has a spectacular aura aboutuddave has a spectacular aura about
Just a conspiracy theory, but does anyone else think it is odd that UD's intros consist of a weird swaying circle instead of what most other College BBall teams do? My conspiracy theory is that they are trying to hide kavs with his head down.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:06 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by uddave View Post
Just a conspiracy theory, but does anyone else think it is odd that UD's intros consist of a weird swaying circle instead of what most other College BBall teams do? My conspiracy theory is that they are trying to hide kavs with his head down.
I assume you are joking.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:27 AM
General of the Air Force

Almost all cable and satellite providers will sell a package with every sports channel that exists for $5 to $10 a month. I can get a package that includes every Fox regional and all other cable regionals.
Posted via Mobile Device
And I have it. I have all sports packages offered by directv. My problem is I travel 3 out of 4 weeks and sometimes a great deal longer. Last year I was on the road 17 straight weeks in the deep south of Texas....and they do not offer the channels UD plays on in the hotels and bars I stay in or go to. They do not care about the A-10 or the Dayton Flyers down here....its not offered on their cable package and they are not about to add it just for me. As I said umpteen times they don't care about the Big 10 either.

My only solution is to try the sling box as suggested, but I have to get home before I can try it. My schedule is hectic with 3 projects that need finished by mid December; so little to no chance of making it home; not even for Thanksgiving. That is why I have relied so heavily on the streaming while not great is better than nothing.

I have no idea about those overseas what options they have but many have relied on the streaming as well. Most A-10 programs are offering streaming (premium content) but UD decided to reduce their streaming of mens games. I understand their contractual agreements but they can black out areas where it would be in conflict, and still offer it to those who are outside those areas.

MLB, NFL and college networks do it all the time.

If the slingbox don't work then my only options are to listen to Bucky and Larry (1990's style) gametracker or hope to get home or at least in the midwest.

I started my most recent travels before the season began and didn't expect UD to drop their streaming. UD's decision reaches a larger market but not sure how many in that larger market will watch UD flyer mens basketball; while leaving out many devoted flyer fans outside the midwest.

It is what it is; time will tell if that strategy pays off.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by uddave View Post
It's an interesting theory and one not uncommon in the animal world. Elephants, bison, water buffalo....they all circle the old, weak and/or young of their herd when threatened. Is the UD team exhibiting the same behavior as a defense mechanism to protect their weakest member from a potential backlash from the fans? I guess it's possible...

...but we won't know the truth until next season when we see how they do team introductions. If they go back to individual call-outs, then I'd say 'yes', this season's huddle was meant to protect the weak. If they stick with the huddle, maybe not. Maybe...
Buster Goode (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 10:35 AM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Is this the same Kav thread from 6 months ago and a year ago, or just the same people saying the same things over and over and over...?
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-13-2013), longtimefan (11-13-2013), TerryK_67 (11-13-2013), Tony T 71 (11-13-2013), UD Sam (11-15-2013), udstevied_D87 (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 PM

My apologies to the elephants, bison and water buffalo of the world...I wasn't trying to insult you...only trying to make a valid point.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:08 PM

Avid, I'm not sure it's their choice to drop streaming. I expect that whoever is buying broadcast rights is preventing any other alternate way to view to protect their investment. More such rights agreements do.

The choice may well end up being stream and get no deals with the sports channels, or get tv coverage and quit streaming.