User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-02-2017, 12:09 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Cunningham's phantom 4th foul

Rewatching the final minutes of the game and didn't see this mentioned. Cunningham and Kyle were guarding JeQuan Lewis and he went to his left and Lewis' shorts and Cunninghams shorts brushed against each other. Lewis lets the shot go and nails what would've been a 3 pointer. Refs called the phantom foul, AM goes nuts, Lewis makes only one of two FTs and we have a 2 point lead rather than a tie game. Turns out to be huge as it changed the whole complexion of the final minute.

One of the best phantom fouls of all time called against the Flyers.
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2017, 12:20 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
As soon as that call was made the Queen looked at me and asked 'what would you have called?'. I had no answer.

There was some bumping before the whistle instigated by Cunningham, but the ref let it go...in fact, he let it go - by my count - 2 times. And then, the 3rd bump suddenly garners a whistle. IMRO, if the first bump wasn't a foul, and the 2nd bump wasn't a foul, why was the 3rd bump a foul? My guess is that the 3rd was deemed harder than the first 2 which gave Cunningham an 'advantage', which is the magic word differentiating incidental contact and a foul.

Regardless, as soon as he hit the '3' I agreed with the call. A definite no-brainer!
Smitty10 (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 01:05 PM
Captain

LIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
if the first bump wasn't a foul, and the 2nd bump wasn't a foul, why was the 3rd bump a foul?
I guess the ref adopted the McCringleberry rule.
Mad Props to LIBob For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 01:12 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
There was definitely contact before the call that was made, and contact when it was made. Contact doesn't mean foul though. As physical as that game was it was a bit of a surprise. Especially in contrast to the non-calls on Scoochie on the preceeding rebound and drive.

I'm not sure you can carry it through to the three point shot though. That was kind of like the Donald Smith shot against UCLA. Kyle (?) and Cunningham quit defending at the whistle.
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-02-2017)