Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-16-2015, 09:56 AM
2nd Lieutenant

KGB26 will become famous soon enough
A-10 Disaster

Davidson (Winner of League play)---10 seed.
VCU (Winner of Tournament(-------- 7 seed
Dayton (Runner up in both)---------- 11 seed

We can complain about the Committee's disrespect for the A-10 but apparently the only two choices going forward are to either substantially improve our Out of Conference schedule or somehow get out of this league. Doing both is probably the best solution!

KGB 26
Mad Props to KGB26 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-16-2015)
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2015, 10:14 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
The wake-up call needs to go out to the commissioner. The dead wood needs to be dropped. Start with Fordham, LaSalle and Duquesne.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-16-2015), shocka43 (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 10:23 AM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
I would be very surprised if our league affiliation changes for the time being, and we only have a certain amount of control over the SOS, we have some control over who we play, but we can't control how they do.
For me, the problem all three teams have is that the league was soft this year. Unless I missed somebody, the A-10 had five sub 150 RPI teams, St. Joe, Duquesne, Mason, Fordham, and SLU. Four of those were sub 200. I think SLU and St. Joe will bounce back, but it seems like every year there are RPI anchors in this league. I think the A-10 needs to crack down on schools that languish year after year at those depths.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:24 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
Let's stop all the whining. What's done is done. Losing at Duquesne and LaSalle killed us. Go to Yahoo Sports and hear the nice things being said about us, Archie and going into the tournament.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:37 AM
Major

Flyer1995 is a jewel in the roughFlyer1995 is a jewel in the roughFlyer1995 is a jewel in the roughFlyer1995 is a jewel in the rough
I just don't understand why Fordham isn't in the MAAC. I have always felt like that would be a better fit. Fordham and Duqusne are the only two schools that have not been to the tournament in recent years. Everyone else has made the trip at least once since 2011 i believe. I think we would work well as a 12 team conference. Some people say the A10 is not mid-major, but not the committee. I think something needs to be done, but ofcourse nothing will happen. Lets go win a few in the tourney! Just my 2 cents
Mad Props to Flyer1995 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 10:44 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
Fordham is in A10 because, without it, the A10 has no NYC presence. Probably also the reason why tournament is in Barclays although I much more going to Atlantic City to watch the tournament games. Same reason that Rutgers is now in Big 10 - gives league a presence in NYC.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:47 AM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think it is because of the NYC presence, it is because they don't kick anyone out. Nobody - I mean nobody - cares about Fordham basketball.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 10:49 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
Fordham and LaSalle WERE in the MAAC. They were founding members. for some reason they felt like moving from there without effectively taking steps to improve their programs. LaSalle is what they have always been: A Big 5 Philly school that plays in a gym and who occasionally gets an all-american caliber player from Philly to play there. Forham is exactly who they were when I used to watch them play Iona in MAAC games in the 80s. really don't seem to have changed at all. I don't remember how the A10 fell in the RPI top to bottom last year but I am guessing that not only were our top teams strong lastyear but the bottom teams were as well. This year we had 5 teams worse than 175 RPI. That is not good and ultimately drags down the entire conference. We'll see who gets it. George Mason apparently fired Hewitt today. They had to and their hire is critical for them. I'm comfortable that St Joes was an abberation. SLU is an interesting case. lots of young players, but is Crews capable of doing anything with that? Not sure wht to make of Duquesne. Every time you think they have turned a corner, they take steps backward and have to restart. Fordham is who they always will be. They are less than an after thought in their own market and I just don't ever see them being anything more than that. The MAAC would honestly be a good fit because they would get more buzz de to all of the local teams they would play. All I know is that our conference should not have such a heavy bottom.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:51 AM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
For me, Fordham doesn't really have any more of a presence in NYC, then high school teams there do, and I will bet many of those HS teams get better crowds. I think UMass will leave for football at some point, and that would a good time to kick Fordham to the curb. LaSalle's sweet 16 run was a fluke. I think they and Duquesne need to be put on double secret probation.
Mad Props to The Gem For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
The wake-up call needs to go out to the commissioner. The dead wood needs to be dropped. Start with Fordham, LaSalle and Duquesne.
We lost to two out of three of those teams...

Last edited by Buster Goode; 03-16-2015 at 11:56 AM..
Old 03-16-2015, 12:20 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
We lost to two out of three of those teams...
We won 4 out of 6 games but that is not the point. It is the lack of commitment from the administration.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2015, 12:26 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Paul Hewitt fired this AM by George Mason - he did not meet their "high expectations" for this team. Change in the A10 has begun
Old 03-16-2015, 01:03 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
GMU has never really had any success outside of a few years under Larranaga. Certainly don't have a long history of success.

Fordham and LaSalle play in facilities that would be bad high school gyms in midwest.

Does anyone believe Davidson will be successful after McKillop retires? They may but his leaving will put them on the coaching carousel if they do continue to win.

In the like the A-10 you need a committed administration and a very good coach to make the NCAA tourney consistently. Almost half the teams in the A10 do not measure up.
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 01:52 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think it is because of the NYC presence, it is because they don't kick anyone out. Nobody - I mean nobody - cares about Fordham basketball.
I live not too far from Fordham. I could live without visiting Fordham campus for a game at their pittance of a gym.

They and either Duquesne or LaSalle should be removed as fast as possible.

Too many teams, and now the drag is hurting us and all the top Teams.

Go TRUE TEAM!
Old 03-16-2015, 03:20 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
We won 4 out of 6 games but that is not the point. It is the lack of commitment from the administration.
Posted via Mobile Device
And their overall suckiness contributing to horrible losses when you do take one at their place...
Old 03-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Colonel

The bad thing about this league has always been the bottom feeders. Most of the teams have some ambition and they are good at large type teams, some of the time. I put UD in this category. The big difference is how often they are good. Then there is Duquesne, LaSalle, and Fordham. They don't have much ambition, and would be better off in a the MAAC, or CAA. They suck just about every year.
I am not sure about Mason. They show some ambition by joining the A-10, but Hewitt was an awful hire. Let's see how long it takes them to rebuild.
Mad Props to The Gem For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-16-2015)