Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-16-2015, 10:50 AM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold
NCAA Shares

Can someone explain to me how the NCAA revenue sharing works? I seem to remember reading the following things, but I'm not sure if they are true:

1. One NCAA share is granted for every game a team plays in. There are 67 games in the tournament, so each share is worth 1/67th of the total revenue share.

2. The First Four is treated like every other tournament game. So a team that starts in the First Four and loses in the round of 32 actually earns as many NCAA shares as a #1 seed that loses in the Sweet Sixteen.

3. How the revenue from each NCAA share is divided up depends on the conference. Some conferences divide up shares equally among all members of the conference regardless of how each team performs individually. Others reward individual teams that earn it.

4. The A-10 is somewhat unique in that a large percentage of the share goes to the team that earns it (something like 60% or 75%).

If this is the case, then (ignoring the basketball side of things) playing in the First Four is potentially a nice financial benefit if we win on Wednesday. But I realize my thinking might be wrong. Correct away if you know more about this than me.
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Brigadier General

forego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond repute
I mentioned this to be the case.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...ution_Plan.pdf

"One unit is awarded to each institution participating in each game, except the championship game. In 2011-12, each basketball unit was approximately $242,200 for a total $184.1 million distribution."
Mad Props to forego1 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Iguomaniac (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 07:17 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
I think I read the A-10 let's the team that won the share keep 75% of the money, but I could be wrong. It seems every conference is a little different when it comes to dividing the spoils.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
forego1 (03-16-2015), Iguomaniac (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 07:23 PM
Brigadier General

forego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
I think I read the A-10 let's the team that won the share keep 75% of the money, but I could be wrong. It seems every conference is a little different when it comes to dividing the spoils.
It's in the site A10 'bi-laws' somewhere, but I think that's right (or close).
By winning Wed. we are in for two shares already. Archie might contractually get a taste for each NCAA win also.

Last edited by forego1; 03-17-2015 at 11:36 AM..
Old 03-16-2015, 07:46 PM
Lieutenant General

bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by forego1 View Post
It's in the sight A10 'bi-laws' somewhere, but I think that's right (or close).
By winning Wed. we are in for two shares already. Archie might contractually get a taste for each NCAA win also.
Umm, do we get a share for winning a play-in game? I thought the full share payouts started after the Play-in-Games.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:56 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,138 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
The First Four games are NCAA games. They count.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to John C. For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (03-17-2015), Flyer 86 (03-16-2015), jack72 (03-16-2015), longtimefan (03-17-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 08:23 PM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I encourage everyone to stop calling it the "play in game". It is not really, and sounds mid-major. They are "The First Four"
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (03-16-2015), longtimefan (03-17-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 08:54 PM
Brigadier General

That's okay Jack72--we'll encroach territory beyond any descriptors with this one.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:07 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by John C. View Post
The First Four games are NCAA games. They count.
I stand corrected.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:33 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
As noted above, each game played in the tournament - including the first 4 but not the title game - counts as a "Unit". Each unit this year is worth about 250,000 - give or take a few thou. However, a "Unit" lasts for 6 years!! Therefore each unit - over its lifetime - will run over 1.5 mil as the unit value increases each year.

We (UD and the A-10) will start collecting on the first year of six years from last year's 4 units (roughly 1 million) in April of this year. The distribution comes from the conference. I don't know what the A-10 has for a distribution formula but the team who earned the unit gets the biggest chunk of the money - maybe 50%. That would be at least half a mil in our case for each of the next 6 years based on last year's elite 8 advance. Come April of 2016 we will again collect on last year's units as well as the units we earn this year. In addition, I think we will get a much smaller share for the units earned by the other A-10 teams who made the tournament last year. The A-10 keeps a chunk for themselves to run their operation.

Last edited by ud69; 03-16-2015 at 09:36 PM..
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Iguomaniac (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 09:59 PM
Lieutenant General

Likely you have me on ignore, but a few posts above I mentioned in think I read the A-10 lets the team that wins the "share" keep 75% of the money.
Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 11:06 PM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold
Wow so if UD is able to beat Boise State, it actually works out really well for the athletic department financially. Use that extra money to cover the cost of losing a home game or two in future years and put together a stronger out of conference SOS.
Mad Props to Iguomaniac For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-17-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 11:30 PM
Lieutenant General

You know, if we put together a stronger OOC schedule, the Committee will just change the selection criteria to suit their purposes.

They hold all the cards.
Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 10:23 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,414 Times in 671 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
How about we just call it the F***ed Four this season, since all of the teams stuck in it have a gripe that they have to play in it and UCLA doesn't.
Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
The OOC isn't the problem. True we could beef it up by reducing the buy games some and play some top mid-major teams. where we are in the trick bag is the conference SOS. Too many poor teams, this year especially. Granted a stronger OOC will help but we are a prisoner to the conference SOS. Our pod didn't help this year with all our pod opponents having poor years. SLU, DUQ,LAS,SBU,FORDHAM, not exactly murders row. Of that group four are usually in the bottom tier. And SLU may or may not improve. A-10 has a problem with so many non-competitive programs. If it wants to be a player come March, things have to improve. Good luck with that
Old 03-17-2015, 11:29 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,364 Times in 2,464 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
How about we just call it the F***ed Four this season, since all of the teams stuck in it have a gripe that they have to play in it and UCLA doesn't.
Perfect!
Old 03-17-2015, 11:38 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,364 Times in 2,464 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
The OOC isn't the problem. True we could beef it up by reducing the buy games some and play some top mid-major teams. where we are in the trick bag is the conference SOS. Too many poor teams, this year especially. Granted a stronger OOC will help but we are a prisoner to the conference SOS. Our pod didn't help this year with all our pod opponents having poor years. SLU, DUQ,LAS,SBU,FORDHAM, not exactly murders row. Of that group four are usually in the bottom tier. And SLU may or may not improve. A-10 has a problem with so many non-competitive programs. If it wants to be a player come March, things have to improve. Good luck with that
It's the same problem over on the vball side -- although I realize vball isn't what runs this conference. But it hurts UD's program on many fronts - rip/sos/schedule, recruiting, etc. I don't know how many years in a row we've had to play LaSalle twice -- the last place team (until this year when the schools added to the conference were even weaker vball programs) and a program with a 300 rpi. (ouch!) Some of it's luck/chance. Teams that were suppose to be very good, turn out to not be for one reason or another as the season plays out. Going into the season, UD's men's bb schedule looked ok -- but turned out not so great in the end. It happens.

I guess the "good" new is, we won't have to compete against SLU if the Big East looks to expand.

We've got to just win on Wednesday -- that's all we control. Guys gotta bring it.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:35 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Kellernr_XU is infamous around these partsKellernr_XU is infamous around these partsKellernr_XU is infamous around these partsKellernr_XU is infamous around these parts
you should handle Boise.

Last edited by Kellernr_XU; 03-17-2015 at 01:46 PM..
Old 03-17-2015, 01:46 PM
Brigadier General

Yes it's set over six years, but amounts to the same remuneration for Dayton.
The money is theirs {75%(?) of however many units they account for directly.

If we leave A10, we have left food on the table.

From Ruechalgrin:

Each NCAA tourney unit is worth $1.6M over 6 years or a little more than $250k a year. Dayton earns a full unit with tonight's game and the A-10 gives 75% to Dayton and keeps 25% for the league as a whole. So I am going to be an optimist and say we win tonight and another $1M to pay Archie the next 6 years or almost $200k a year -- this is an extra game/NCAA unit IMHO = big money!

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/20...sketball-fund/

http://wewearthering.com/2014/03/27/...ketball-units/

Last edited by forego1; 03-18-2015 at 02:41 PM..