UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-25-2018, 10:03 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,206 Times in 972 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
A10 Schedule - Friend or Foe?

As of this writing, we sit in 7th place at 4-4 (or tied for 6th, but SJU holds the breaker).

We have played every team above us (3-3) and only 2 below (1-1).
We have played 5 home (3-2) and 3 road (1-2) games.

Remaining homes games are against 3 of the bottom 4 teams in the standings, plus Duquesne who is 1 game ahead.
Remaining road games are against 4 of the bottom 6 teams in the standings, plus URI and VCU.

How do you describe the schedule?

My hope is to say this schedule challenged the Flyers early and helped them learn who they are and what they need to do to make a run through the bottom of the league in the 2nd half, finish 11-7, and grab the 4 seed in the conference tournament.
I could also say that the schedule has beaten up the Flyers to the point that they've developed no identity, could languish on the road, and end up playing on Wednesday (11 thru 14) in the conference tournament.

What say you?
Old 01-25-2018, 10:10 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Save Rhode Island at there place every game left is winnable. The A10 is so weak this year I think it's more about how the team plays not the opponent. Don't defend and turn it over 20+ times or do we start to string together good games. Who knows with how up & down this team is
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Phi Psi Flyer '09 (01-26-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 10:16 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
The A10 tourney in DC is going to be interesting. I kind of doubt if anyone is going to beat URI but if that does happen, anyone else (except Fordham) could win it.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 10:23 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
The biggest issue is the mirror. If UD plays well, they can compete with everyone except Rhode Island. If they play poorly they can lose to everybody and Rhode Island.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-25-2018), San Diego Flyer (01-26-2018), SC_Flyer (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 10:38 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
The sample size is large enough that I think we know what to expect, and that's treading water to the bitter end.

It was said elsewhere, and I agree, that these next two games will define whether or not this group is really grasping what it takes (maturity, effort) to be consistently competitive. Anything less than a split is unacceptable. Unfortunately, UMass is our kryptonite. My God even LaSalle blew their doors off last night.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:10 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
This Year's Edition

is just barely learning to win on the road. They have to beat SLU and UMASS away from the Arena to show some ability to compete in the A-10 tourney. I do not expect much of a run in the Championship tourney.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:23 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
By the way, Dayton plays a tough A-10 schedule purposely so the Flyers can be considered for an at-large bid (i.e., Rhody & VCU 2x) -- the A-10 has the top teams play each other more to enhance their resume.

This has worked for Dayton the last years and is 100% the right strategy. However, it is hurting Dayton this year as the Flyers have zero chance of an at-large bid and their only hope is A-10 Tourney where key is getting the #4 seed or better. Teams that player weaker A-10 schedules have an advantage.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Call me crazy

First of all, you have to hope for the hardest A-10 schedule possible every year, considering how weak our league is becoming.

Call me crazy, but I can see us finishing 7-3, losses to VCU, RI, and one other along the way. Get our revenge at UMass

2-1 in the A-10 tourney as the 5th seed, gives us a record of 19-14 and an NIT bid. Win a couple games in the NIT as our guys start to gel, and build some real nice momentum going into next season which I am very excited to see.

If no NIT, still accept any bid to any tourney who offers regardless of the initials. With 3 freshmen and a sophomore who played very little last year among our top 6 players returning next season, get all the practice and game experience possible.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:11 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Since Clayton mentioned how weak the A10 has become here is a pretty good read on the downfall and if it can recover.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018...enture-st-joes

And here are my personal A10 power rankings for this year:

1. Rhody

2-14.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-25-2018), flyerfanatic86 (01-26-2018), Jeff (01-25-2018), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (01-26-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 07:13 PM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I think that you are actually technically allowed to keep practicing until the NCAA title game is over.

I remember that in reading Steve Alford's book on playing for Bobby Knight, SA told the story of how one year IU was eliminated from the NCAAT, but to the team's surprise, BK made the team continue to practice in the days/weeks? after the loss.

The season was not over until BK said it was over!
Old 01-25-2018, 07:15 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
This will be a good measuring stick about how much this team has improved. We can take care of good A10 teams at home can we pick up winnable games on the road. String together a 3-4 game winning streak at some point & I'll be happy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2018, 07:19 PM
General

Originally Posted by C-time View Post
Since Clayton mentioned how weak the A10 has become here is a pretty good read on the downfall and if it can recover.

1. Rhody

2-14.
If the season ended today, that would be the fewest top 100 teams of the Kenpom era.

😟
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2018, 07:32 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
First of all, you have to hope for the hardest A-10 schedule possible every year, considering how weak our league is becoming.

Call me crazy, but I can see us finishing 7-3, losses to VCU, RI, and one other along the way. Get our revenge at UMass

2-1 in the A-10 tourney as the 5th seed, gives us a record of 19-14 and an NIT bid. Win a couple games in the NIT as our guys start to gel, and build some real nice momentum going into next season which I am very excited to see.

If no NIT, still accept any bid to any tourney who offers regardless of the initials. With 3 freshmen and a sophomore who played very little last year among our top 6 players returning next season, get all the practice and game experience possible.
The committee is not going to be fooled by a weak schedule. The Flyers had no chance of getting to the dance this season no matter the schedule. You are correct that a strong schedule helps a team, but a weak schedule will only hurt your team.

This is about the future now. Maybe that future is getting to the NIT but I look at NITs as part of the future of getting experience in post season tourneys, the results mean nothing to me.

The only chance this team would have to run the table in the A10 tournament would be if Kostas turns into Giannis before the tourney starts and that's not going to happen.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:45 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute

1. Rhody

2-14.
Now that's funny.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 10:32 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Now that's funny.
and Accurate all at the same time!!!!!
Old 01-26-2018, 07:07 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute

Not a whole lot in that story we didn't already know, plus a lot of "what ifs" (do AG and Mike Rhoades pan out? Can Duquesne rise from the ashes?). As far as VCU, Dayton, and St Joe's (terrible luck w/ injuries), they will be back. It's the bottom feeder schools that don't seem to care to compete.

We now return to your regularly scheduled "we should be in the Big East" thread...

Last edited by Radar; 01-26-2018 at 07:52 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-26-2018), ruechalgrin (01-26-2018), TXFlyerFan (01-26-2018)