User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,887 Times in 644 Posts
dnutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond repute
What I didn't miss the last six games

All the pizzing and moaning, fire the coach, recruit better, mediocre BS whining. It's one game on the road and UD laid a big fat egg. Anyone think they would win six in a row after starting 1-5? Very few of you because you ripped me for starting a thread about waiting until the A-10 season was a little further along before we started the "wait till next year" mantra.

Win Saturday and get back on track.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to dnutz77 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (02-26-2014), ClaytonFlyerFan (02-26-2014), Crunk Juice (02-25-2014), MrFlyerFanatic (02-26-2014), NYCFLYER (02-26-2014), Odrab14 (02-26-2014), THirt (02-26-2014), ud2 (02-26-2014)
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2014, 10:08 PM
Captain

Crunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the rough
I'm holding my breath for the next "Open Letter to Wabler/Archie" post.
Mad Props to Crunk Juice For This Totally Excellent Post:
number21 (02-26-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 10:12 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
The six game win streak was nice, but the Flyers have not shown they can beat the top of league. Flyers are 0-5 against the Top 5 teams in the league.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerGuyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fudd (02-26-2014), high flyer (02-25-2014), JimBo (02-26-2014), Viperstick (02-26-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 10:32 PM
Brigadier General

dnutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer View Post
The six game win streak was nice, but the Flyers have not shown they can beat the top of league. Flyers are 0-5 against the Top 5 teams in the league.
With three remaining?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:39 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dnutz77 View Post
With three remaining?

Let's hope so because they are going to need a much better effort than Duq or tonight...
Old 02-26-2014, 05:47 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,619 Times in 5,098 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
We have not been competitive with the NCAA teams in the A10. We beat GW at home, but we were playing their 2nd string. I can understand how many fans could be sour on the season at this point. We are good enough to beat some middle of the pack teams in the A10, but it's not even a contest with the better teams. Tonight's game was as embarrassing as any game in the last 15 years.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:55 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
All the pizzing and moaning, fire the coach, recruit better, mediocre BS whining. It's one game on the road and UD laid a big fat egg. Anyone think they would win six in a row after starting 1-5? Very few of you because you ripped me for starting a thread about waiting until the A-10 season was a little further along before we started the "wait till next year" mantra.

Your participation trophy is in the mail. We value your self esteem. Please feel free to share it with the Flyers.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:25 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,916 Times in 6,997 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer View Post
The six game win streak was nice
The 6-game winning streak was a farce. We didn't play any different last night than we did at Duquesne...with the only difference being the quality of the opponent.

This team can't play more than 15 minutes of basketball on any given night and their defense is worse now than ever.
hayjim (02-26-2014), JimBo (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
We have not been competitive with the NCAA teams in the A10. We beat GW at home, but we were playing their 2nd string. I can understand how many fans could be sour on the season at this point. We are good enough to beat some middle of the pack teams in the A10, but it's not even a contest with the better teams. Tonight's game was as embarrassing as any game in the last 15 years.
Not really. If you take your first sentence as fact of where this team is competitively, it makes the performance in the game not all that surprising. I expected a loss. Maybe not that bad of a loss, but in the grand scheme an L is an L.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:20 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,211 Times in 976 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Before the season started, UD was picked to finish 7th. UD currently sits in 7th place. Looking at the rest of the schedule and the schedules of teams above and below UD, it appears that UD will finish 7th.
That may not live up to UD fan expectations, but it is right in line with what the expectations of the A10 coaches.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:35 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
We will not be competitive in A-10 until we have a 5 who can actually put the ball HIGH off the glass to reduce the chances that the shot might be blocked and can stop the penetrating offensive player after he has easily beaten his defender and is going for a layup. I'd leave Kav and Scott on the bus until needed for fouls, Start Robinson and back him up with Alex G.

NOTE: A lot of teams would have switched to a zone last nite to try and stop the St Joe dribble drives for layups in the first 10 minutes. I'm not saying zone all nite - but how about a different look now and then.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Major

Odrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud of

It is always funny how quiet message boards are when a team wins, but then comes a loss and the world is ending??

I wrote awhile back about setting proper expectations. I also have written numerous times the value of upper classman for smaller schools like Dayton.

Expectations- I picked this team to win 19 games this season. I will most likely be a bit off here. I did not pick them for the NCAA and I still do not think they are an NCAA tourney team. Last night I told a buddy of mine they would lose by 12. St Joe's is now 16-3 their last 19 games. They are a better team than Dayton.

Upper Classman- St. Joe's is a perfect example of this. 3 Senior starters and Juniors behind them. We played St Joe's for 80 minutes this season and they have beaten us for 70 minutes of those 80. We have Oliver as a consistent Senior and then.......

Let's be realistic here... Dayton's defense all season has been very very subpar. At times they defend well but last night they simply got killed inside. I blame our guard/perimeter defense for many of our troubles. Add the fact our bigs just simply get out played alot. When teams are shooting 55-60% on you consistently there is a problem. I also have a problem with Arch's inabilit to try anything different, god forbid a zone.

Last night was a downright awful game. They got killed. Its just one game. The A-10 is a tough league folks. The good news is all that matters is wins and losses and not how many you win or lose by. Last night would have helped sure but its done now. This team is at another cross roads. Can they stand up fight or will they lay down and concede? We'll see. Its still one game at a time.

I DO KNOW THIS!! They need the Flyer Faithful to be rowdy on Saturday at 11am. No groans or boos, get behind these kids and cheer for em. Most are good kids and they try hard. GO FLYERS!!
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Odrab14 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ChampCar (02-26-2014), MrFlyerFanatic (02-26-2014), THirt (02-26-2014), UD Sam (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 10:14 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
was at the game last night. it was tough to watch. a couple of observations:

- talked to a St Joes season ticket holder sitting in front of me. When I was bemoaning how poorly we played (I thought our worst offensive performance of the year) he told me " well you have a perfect storm then because this is by far our best game of the year…not even close." I know our Defense contributed to that, but they hit everything they put up , inside and out. St oes would have beaten just about anyone last night.
-I remember when Jalen went in in the first half and he was the first of our bigs to effectively make an inside basket. from that point i wantedhim in the rest of the game. He seems to be the only one of them who knows how to use his body and the rim to get a shot off on a consistent basis. Devon and matt put the ball on the floor too much and are too tentative going up with it, giving the D time to get in position. At least put it up quicker and hope to draw a few fouls, or just kick it back out and reset.
- We are at our best when we play a fast paced, but patient, offense. crisp passing and constant ball movement and moving to positions without the ball created many open shots and has sometimes taken most of the shot clock to find them. all too often last night the shots seem rushed and guys put the ball on the floor too much…too much individuals trying to make something happen rather than run the offense.
-as much as St joes couldn't miss, we couldn't get anything to go in. it was crazy. throughout most of the game the difference in points was dirrectly correlated to the FG% discrepancy….not turnovers, rebounds or anything else.

Anyway, it was one game and it was an ugly one but in the end it is not a bad loss. St Joes is good. 3 more left and i sure hope the guys have turned the page and are now focused on Saturday. And, there are only 2 home games left, and they are both critical. These guys are competetive and I'm sure they'll work hard and come ready to play. The fans need to blow the roof off the arena and help carry them.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to AC91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer69ers (02-26-2014), THirt (02-26-2014), UDBaby (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,396 Times in 713 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation True, but....

Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
Before the season started, UD was picked to finish 7th. UD currently sits in 7th place. Looking at the rest of the schedule and the schedules of teams above and below UD, it appears that UD will finish 7th.
That may not live up to UD fan expectations, but it is right in line with what the expectations of the A10 coaches.
True, but with that said, if that's all perfectly acceptable, then perhaps next year UD can send my ticket/parking pass invoice to the coaches and the media who vote on pre-season predictions and ask them to pay for my tickets. Until that time, I say forever 7 through 13 finishes in the Atlantic 10 Conference are un-acceptable. Or, are they?

Last edited by Beatty Town Coach; 02-26-2014 at 10:33 AM..
Mad Props to Beatty Town Coach For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,396 Times in 713 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Oh, thank goodness

With three remaining?
Oh, thank goodness we still have three more games against the top of the league, that we can improve our record against them to a full 1-7. That ought to bring the house down, make the NCAA, or fill the seats at UD Arena. Yes dnutz, thank goodness we have those three top tier games left.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:09 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer View Post
Your participation trophy is in the mail. We value your self esteem. Please feel free to share it with the Flyers.
I usually wait until after the season to hand out awards. That's been my point from day one and that's why I get frustrated with 'fans'. I competed at the D1 level in two sports and I remain as competative NOW (golf, bowling, PIXY STICKS...doesn't matter) as I ever have been, but I also realize that you CANNOT go psycho after one game or after a losing streak in the middle of the season. I also know that no matter what the history books tell you, each season is mutually exclusive from all other seasons. Our fans may not think so, but that is 100% true. Thus, I will judge the coaches, players, and program as it stands once the entire season is over.

Last time I checked, they don't give out 'participation' awards, Conference Championships, or NCAA Championships after one game, after seven games, after a six game winning streak, or after a 26 point loss to St. Joes.

In the meantime, I'll gladly put your participation ribbon right next to the big, fat foam middle finger that I display on my dresser with the rest of my trophies.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to dnutz77 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (02-26-2014), Odrab14 (02-26-2014), UDBaby (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,477 Times in 1,111 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AC91 View Post
- talked to a St Joes season ticket holder sitting in front of me. When I was bemoaning how poorly we played (I thought our worst offensive performance of the year) he told me " well you have a perfect storm then because this is by far our best game of the year…not even close." I know our Defense contributed to that, but they hit everything they put up , inside and out. St oes would have beaten just about anyone last night.
It's easy to say this when your team is going up against a team that isn't playing anything that resembles a defense. I never heard announcers slam a team's defense as much as last night's did. They mentioned lack of effort on numerous occasions, and even said it was non-existent at one point.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:24 PM
Major

Odrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud ofOdrab14 has much to be proud of
I usually wait until after the season to hand out awards. That's been my point from day one and that's why I get frustrated with 'fans'. I competed at the D1 level in two sports and I remain as competative NOW (golf, bowling, PIXY STICKS...doesn't matter) as I ever have been, but I also realize that you CANNOT go psycho after one game or after a losing streak in the middle of the season. I also know that no matter what the history books tell you, each season is mutually exclusive from all other seasons. Our fans may not think so, but that is 100% true. Thus, I will judge the coaches, players, and program as it stands once the entire season is over.

Last time I checked, they don't give out 'participation' awards, Conference Championships, or NCAA Championships after one game, after seven games, after a six game winning streak, or after a 26 point loss to St. Joes.

In the meantime, I'll gladly put your participation ribbon right next to the big, fat foam middle finger that I display on my dresser with the rest of my trophies.
D77 I agree completely and echo this!!

Could you imagine a Baseball Blog??? 162 games of this??