Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-12-2017, 10:38 PM
Major

Go-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to behold
Pittsburgh Eats

Five of us are heading to the UD game in Pittsburgh. Are there any suggestions for dining while we are there? King sandwiches or some other local specialties preferred.

Go flyers!
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2017, 06:53 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,890 Times in 2,908 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Primanti's in the Strip District. Fathead's on the South Side.

I'll be going to my personal favorite, Danny's Hoagies on Route 51 in the South Hills. It's a little takeout-only hole in the wall satellite of their main store on Route 88 in South Park. Out of the way but worth the drive.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:28 AM
Captain

shwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant future
As a Pittsburgh native everyone will tell you Primanti's; but I think its probably the most overrated thing in the city. Their pastrami and egg is good, but the place is still overrated.

Fatheads you'll get a much better sandwhich.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shwag33 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerLiar (01-13-2017), shocka43 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 08:32 AM
Major

Go-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
I'll be going to my personal favorite, Danny's Hoagies on Route 51 in the South Hills.
Is "Danny's Hoagies" the same as Danny's Pizza?
Old 01-13-2017, 09:02 AM
Staff Writer

Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Go-UD-Go View Post
Is "Danny's Hoagies" the same as Danny's Pizza?
Yup, that's the place. The one on Route 88 has seating; the one on 51 is a dump but the oven baked hoagies are killer at either one. I like the steak but the Italian is also great.

Call ahead because they take awhile to bake.

czwalga: I agree about Primantis, but the atmosphere in the Strip District location is uniquely 'Burgh. The others not so much. I actually like their breakfast more than the sandwiches.

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 01-13-2017 at 09:05 AM..
Old 01-13-2017, 10:16 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,069 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Yup, that's the place. The one on Route 88 has seating; the one on 51 is a dump but the oven baked hoagies are killer at either one. I like the steak but the Italian is also great.

Call ahead because they take awhile to bake.

czwalga: I agree about Primantis, but the atmosphere in the Strip District location is uniquely 'Burgh. The others not so much. I actually like their breakfast more than the sandwiches.
What is the strip district? Is it an entertainment area like the Oregon district?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2017, 11:18 AM
Staff Writer

Originally Posted by UDEE79 View Post
What is the strip district? Is it an entertainment area like the Oregon district?
Posted via Mobile Device
It's the produce district. That's why the sandwiches at Primanti Brothers have the fries on 'em...so the guys unloading produce trucks could eat 'em with one hand.

The South Side is more like the Oregon District. It's across the Mon River from downtown.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:37 AM
Academy Doolie

flyrsmedic is a jewel in the roughflyrsmedic is a jewel in the roughflyrsmedic is a jewel in the roughflyrsmedic is a jewel in the rough
Most everything South district is on Carson street.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:23 PM
Just off the Jet

FlyerFan2003 is on a distinguished road
Try Gaucho's in the strip district. I've been before and it was phenomenal. I believe it is BYOB. We are planning on hitting it up tonight after we arrive.

http://eatgaucho.com/

https://www.yelp.com/biz/gaucho-parr...ina-pittsburgh
Old 01-13-2017, 01:30 PM

Thanked 9,769 Times in 4,050 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Southside bars are a good time. I like Marios.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:45 PM

Thanked 6,101 Times in 4,151 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I've only been to Pittsburgh once, there was a bunch of stuff on and around Penn Avenue in the Strip District, just north east of downtown...I think we drove by the South Side area which looked like fun...rode the incline, Fort Pitt Tunnel Bridge into downtown, Point Park, those were all really cool.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:31 PM
1st Lieutenant

AlumUD will become famous soon enoughAlumUD will become famous soon enough
Pamela's Diner for breakfast. Get there early or you'll have a long wait!

http://www.pamelasdiner.com/
Old 01-13-2017, 04:00 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
If you have time visit the amazing 50
story Cathedral of Learning on
PITT campus
Mad Props to Piqua Flyer '66 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AlumUD (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 08:37 PM
Captain

FlyerLiar has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerLiar has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
As a Pittsburgh native everyone will tell you Primanti's; but I think its probably the most overrated thing in the city. Their pastrami and egg is good, but the place is still overrated.

Fatheads you'll get a much better sandwhich.
Second to Primanti's being overrated. Too much bread. There are much better sandwich places all over the country.