UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019, 10:48 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,356 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
KY Spring Match

Might as well start the day off with a Top 10 team. Last year KY was suppose to be very, very good. They crashed the first weekend losing all 3 of their matches. That was a big wake up call, and we hosted them the next weekend when they had something to prove, which they did winning 3-0. They went undefeated (18-0) and won the SEC (2nd year in a row). They only lost 2 more matches the rest of the season - at Texas and in the Sweet 16 to NE.

They will again be a great team in 2019. They graduated 4 seniors. A starting MB, a DS who played 75% of sets, a DS who played 50% and another MB who played 15% of the sets. So they return a lot and will probably be better this year.

Amelia, Brooke and Alli played well against them last year. KY’s game plan was to shut down Lauren - which they did. One of only a couple teams that did last year. My guess is they will look to do the same to Alli this weekend. But they will also have to contain Jamie, Rachael and Olivia. We will be taller this year and taller than KY even if Amelia is still out. I don’t think teams watch video for spring matches - or much anyway. And game plans tend to be more what you want to improve on. Last year we only had 2 blocks in a 3 set match - which is terrible. So I’d like to see us block better on Saturday.

KY wasn’t a very good blocking team last year. They only put up 3 blocks against us which is terrible too. But they out dug us by 10. (Ouch). We played 5 freshmen in last year’s match and 2 sophomores. KY played 2 freshmen and 4 sophomores. We will be more experienced this time around. It came down to we couldn’t stop their hitters. As a team they hit .451. Without re-watching the match, my guess is our youth struggled with reading their setter and/or the speed of the college game when you’re playing an elite team.

KY should be better this year. Dayton should be a lot better this year. This will be a great match to calibrate how much we have closed the gap on a Top 10 team. I expect KY to “win” the match. I’ll be happy to see UD take a set and play close in the sets we drop. I’ll be thrilled if we take two sets. My guess is Brooke will still be out, but we will get Amelia and Mikaylah back. Im also guessing Bridget and Josie will share setting with Josie filling in for Brooke. Great experience for her and I hope she plays well.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 04-02-2019 at 10:50 AM..
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-02-2019)
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2019, 11:13 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I just read the write up from last year’s KIVA event and the teams only played two sets against each team. We also played KY and MI St last year. If it’s the same this year, let’s go 1-1 against KY. Go Flyers!
Old 04-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
From UK volleyball twitter feed:

UK sweeps Michigan State, splits with Dayton.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-06-2019), jack72 (04-06-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-06-2019), The Fly (04-06-2019), udisit19 (04-06-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 06:56 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
From UK volleyball twitter:
UK finishes up with a 1-1 split with NKU.

From NKU volleyball twitter:
NKU splits with Dayton and goes 2-0 against MSU. A little surprised that we only split with NKU.

Still looking for the last result of MSU vs Dayton.
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-06-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 08:55 PM

Of all the matches, we would have played everyone against NKU. That might explain the split. It really good we split with KY. First match of the day and I’m sure we got after them with our best rotations/players.
jack72 (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 03:11 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
NKU is no volleyball slouch. They finished with a 147 RPI in 2018. NKU had a 107 RPI in 2016. That would have been good enough to be 3rd place in the A-10 both years behind only Dayton and VCU. (In 2017, NKU would have been 4th just behind SLU. NKU-159 SLU-157)

Based on these results, NKU may be ready to break into the top 100.
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by udisit19 View Post
NKU is no volleyball slouch. They finished with a 147 RPI in 2018. NKU had a 107 RPI in 2016. That would have been good enough to be 3rd place in the A-10 both years behind only Dayton and VCU. (In 2017, NKU would have been 4th just behind SLU. NKU-159 SLU-157)

Based on these results, NKU may be ready to break into the top 100.
They finished 2nd in both the regular season and conference tournament in the Horizon last year...with only one senior. So I think you are correct that they should be pushing Top 100 RPI this fall.

One more interesting note, they have a 6’0” player with a position listed as “utility”. I’ve never seen that but maybe it’s something new or common 15 years ago. My guess is she can play any position????? Maybe some has better insight than me on this.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:15 AM

Here’s what Horsmon posted on twitter about their day:

“Awesome tournament today and had chances to be great. Still lots of work to do! We need to do the little things better and that happens in practice and thought the grind to find toughness and consistency.”

I have zero inside info, but I would guess we have Amelia and Mikaylah back from illness but Brooke in a sling may have not played again this weekend. Tough to guess the status of Molly and Jordan. Brooke is our only returning AA, so that’s a big part of the mix if she was still out.

All that said, Horsmon’s post sounds pretty positive. He is very competitive. My take on this is he knows his team is close to greatness. Yes, there is still a lot of work to do, but the pieces are all in place and they are getting after it.

I don’t think UD has ever had more than one returning AA in any given year. Most years we’ve had none. Next year at this time we could have 3-4 (Brooke, Jamie, Alli, Maura, Amelia, others???) I think that’s the best picture you can draw about how good this year’s team is going to be IF THEY CONTINUE TO WORK HARD.

A couple years ago I felt we had terrible leadership within the team. It was self-appointed, not group-appointed. And I’m not convinced the team worked hard over the summer. It fell way short of goals that fall. Don’t let it happen this summer.

The final spring competitive day against tOSU should be great. We beat them this year. They will be better next year and so will we. It will be a dog fight even for a spring match.
jack72 (04-08-2019)