UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 05-14-2017, 10:35 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,405 Times in 2,481 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Future Final Four Travel Plans

It's the off-season and the schedule isn't out yet...so what the heck else are we going to talk about?

In 2017 - our senior class of Amber, Maggie, Jess, Jane and Laura are going to lead us into Kansas City for the Final Four. It's 9 hours from Dayton, so I except a huge following.

In 2018 - Margo, Lauren and Rising star award winner Kendyll get us to Minneapolis. That's an 11 hour drive, but still do-able in a day. And Minneapolis is great, so well worth the drive.

In 2019 - our best recruiting class ever will be headed up by seniors Jamie, Jordan and Sierra. Plus we will have Brooke, Olivia and transfer Mackenzie Weaver with another year of eligibility on this squad. Easy 4 hour trip to Pittsburgh, PA. Should be a great year to win it all.

In 2020, after 3 trips to the final four and a national championship, we will be led by Brooke, Olivia, Maria Schorr, Bridget Doherty and Carissa Beyers. And we will have a ton of younger talent, because everyone wants to play for a winner. It's an 11 hour trip to Omaha to defend our title, but we will play before the largest crowd ever in women's volleyball. You won't want to miss that. Book your hotel now.

And finally in 2021 - we will have become the new Penn State and this will be the year the committee begins to return the favor to UD by sending PSU into Dayton for the first rounds - for 3 consecutive years. We will also host the second weekend this year. And Dayton will prevail with seniors Molly Asmus, Maura Collins, Amelia Moore, Allison Papesh and Mikaylah Van Lanen. Plus, We will feature UD's first ever No. 1 freshman recruit. Not sure what her name is, but I've got her pencilled in as a starter. Then, UD will travel 1 hour to Columbus to win it all and the volleyball world will be screaming about how UD basically played every match as a home match and how unfair that is.

Its a good day to be a Flyer. The future is bright.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (05-14-2017), Glen Clark (05-14-2017), jack72 (05-14-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-14-2017), NovaFlyer (05-14-2017), udisit19 (05-15-2017)
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2017, 05:25 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
Final four travel plans - reality

What will be the closest regional for 2017?

Without major height, I would like to see this team win a game at, or win, the regional. Seniors will be a key factor, but Jamie will be the key. (yes, I do like very good tall volleyball players who were very good basketball players).

I also think that Margo is the most vital player to stay healthy. In my opinion, this is the position with the least depth.

I also hope we schedule some great OOC opponents. Want the feeling before the regional to be "we have played someone as good as them".

TH may also have, in Brooke a front line net player who can also set.
Mad Props to UDSpud For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 12:46 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDSpud View Post
What will be the closest regional for 2017?

Without major height, I would like to see this team win a game at, or win, the regional. Seniors will be a key factor, but Jamie will be the key. (yes, I do like very good tall volleyball players who were very good basketball players).

I also think that Margo is the most vital player to stay healthy. In my opinion, this is the position with the least depth.

I also hope we schedule some great OOC opponents. Want the feeling before the regional to be "we have played someone as good as them".

TH may also have, in Brooke a front line net player who can also set.
I agree with this. Margo is so good, one tends to overlook that position, but you are correct in if she goes down there is a drop off. I do like we have Maggie who wore the Libero jersey once or twice last year to get the experience. Laura Hubeck would fill in for Maggie and she got great experience last year. And we have two freshmen setters coming in that I'm guessing will play some DS this year. So we have young talent and senior leadership and experience, but Margo's level of skill would be missed if she got hurt.

Our twomiddles are shorter than average but quick and pretty good jumpers. On the outside if we have Jamie and Brooke somewhere in the mix, we will be taller than the average OH team. But there will be at least 3 teams this year with 6'8" players. At 6'6" alum Lindsay Fletmeier could just hit over blockers. It's more of that if we have to go against these giants.

Moral to this story...you have got to serve like the devil to keep teams from getting the first pass to their setter so it's difficult to set the hitters. Keep them Out of system and you can win. Add 10 more minutes of serving drills to every practice now. You're going to need it come tournament time.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:01 PM

Also, I have not seen the regional sites announced for 2017. And I don't remember when they usually announce it.

I did find that you can register to win free Final Four tickets for next year out on the NCAA site where you buy tickets. You all are going to need to do that because as noted above, Dayton will be headed to KC in December and we all need tickets. Party on the Plaza with the band! It's beautiful with the Christmas lights. I know a fireworks wholesaler in the area, so I'll arrange for Debbie to light up the Plaza sky red and blue in UD's honor.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:19 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Great job as always Becky!

But I think you forgot to mention why 2019 will be a great year to "win it all." Not only will the Final Four be held in Pittsburgh, but it is being hosted by fellow A-10 member Duquesne.

The Dukes were the ones who put that big together, so we got to send them a thank you card when we win.
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 04:18 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
I like your optimism but even making the sweet sixteen for the first time would be a nice start.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
I like your optimism but even making the sweet sixteen for the first time would be a nice start.
I agree. But it's the off season so I thought I'd dream big. And since so many were close I played off it.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (05-16-2017)