User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
"Buy in" factor...

We often hear terms like "he's getting it" or "the light came on" when assessing players. Watching UD saturday in the 2nd half made me think that there's a possibility that the team is starting to "get it" and feeling more comfortable with each other. I've yet to witness a game this year where the guys seemed to know what others were doing and where they would be. Watching some nice dro down passes come right back to the guy flashing down the lane and watching the extra pass was a thing of beauty.

Yes, logic says that this was a small sample size but, none-the-less, it was something we had not really seen all year. Wed against the Bonnies also showed more consistency but saturday showed a complete 20 minutes. We all question how somwbody can all of a sudden feel more comforatable and there are many that don't understand the midset that must happen and the ability to react as you're thinking versus the thinking then reacting. Well, deciphering the two means you're a half-step quicker to the spot or you position your body a split second quicker than the defender. The confidence that gets established with the "light going on" also means a better chemistry and belief in your players and that they'll be able to find you, and want to, much quicker. We very well could have a tank job against RI and leave us scratching our heads again but I have a feeling that the guys walking off that court saturday night found out a bit more about both themselves and each other.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer69ers (02-07-2011), FlyingArrow (02-07-2011), UD Sam (02-07-2011)
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 AM
General

Thanked 5,463 Times in 2,388 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
At the 1:00 of the highlights on another thread, it looks like CJ hit back to back 3's at the start of the second half to take the lead. 2 guys on the bench stood up to cheer and I think 1 was a walkon (though I didn't look that closely).

Seriously? Really rooting for your teammates there, aren't you bench?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I would think the players would be excited about that.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
team won a road game, a good thing. At this point I am not going to read anything more into it than that because the team has not been able to develop any consistency over the season.

Maybe they are starting to all get on the same page but I am skeptical at this point. Prove me wrong Flyers.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
I think Steve was attempting to start an optimistic thread.

Thanks, Steve!
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer69ers For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (02-07-2011), Flyer 86 (02-07-2011), FlyingArrow (02-07-2011), jpk4ud (02-07-2011), sheg (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,619 Times in 5,098 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Just what makes that little old ant
think he can move a rubber tree plant?
Everyone knows an ant can't
move a rubber tree plant

but he's got.....
Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think it's unreasonable that it would take time for the team to gel this year. They graduated (not counting walk-on stats which are always garbage time):

103.3 minutes per game
64% of their scoring
100% of their point guard minutes

among other things. It's possible that the current players are better overall, but the chemistry that was upset by the loss of the above factors takes time to recover.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
Marysville Flyer (02-07-2011), SeasonTicketFan (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Let me say I lurk on two other free boards. These programs have about as many wins so far this year as the Flyers, but one has no chance at the big dance (aside from winning the conference tournament) because of the strength of their schedule, while the other is right now a bubble team. Last year the bubble team went to the NIT and the other went nowhere.

Neither board, even after bad losses, is as negative and mean spirited as UD Pride after a Flyer win. ("Sure we won, but we should'a won by more.")

Moreover, one of the teams has a rival that pretty regularly beats it like a drum.....in football as well as basketball. But I can't recall any time in the last few years when someone has posted, "Gee. Why can't we be like our rival? We should be like our rival." If they did, I have a feeling they'd be shouted down quickly by a raft of other posters, incensed by the thought.

Yes, there is criticism, but most of it can be described as constructive. And nobody on either board is happy after any loss, especially one to a weak team. But the constant, unrelenting, never ending undertone of "I hate the coach, I hate the players, I hate the team," along with, "what's wrong with us?" and, "why can't we be like our rival," just isn't there on either of those boards.

You posters should try it. Go to one or two other free fan boards and drop in every few days. There are hundreds of free boards available if you just Google properly. We on this board need a little perspective, IMHO.

Last edited by bobber; 02-07-2011 at 12:27 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (02-07-2011), Marysville Flyer (02-07-2011), NYCFLYER (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Commander in Chief

Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
"why can't we be like our rival,"
That makes me want to projectile vomit every time I hear it. It's a sign that a UD fan has lost all respect for himself and become one with the lower animals. I am going to start blaming all of our woes on those who utter that unholy phrase. They are weak minded and deserving of the bad karma that they bring on all of us. They are the real problem in this program, and they must be purged! They bring bad medicine to us all!

Last edited by Fudd; 02-07-2011 at 12:34 PM..
Old 02-07-2011, 01:47 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Let me say I lurk on two other free boards. These programs have about as many wins so far this year as the Flyers, but one has no chance at the big dance (aside from winning the conference tournament) because of the strength of their schedule, while the other is right now a bubble team. Last year the bubble team went to the NIT and the other went nowhere.

Neither board, even after bad losses, is as negative and mean spirited as UD Pride after a Flyer win. ("Sure we won, but we should'a won by more.")

Moreover, one of the teams has a rival that pretty regularly beats it like a drum.....in football as well as basketball. But I can't recall any time in the last few years when someone has posted, "Gee. Why can't we be like our rival? We should be like our rival." If they did, I have a feeling they'd be shouted down quickly by a raft of other posters, incensed by the thought.

Yes, there is criticism, but most of it can be described as constructive. And nobody on either board is happy after any loss, especially one to a weak team. But the constant, unrelenting, never ending undertone of "I hate the coach, I hate the players, I hate the team," along with, "what's wrong with us?" and, "why can't we be like our rival," just isn't there on either of those boards.

You posters should try it. Go to one or two other free fan boards and drop in every few days. There are hundreds of free boards available if you just Google properly. We on this board need a little perspective, IMHO.
This is not to say you're wrong.

First, does this other team have the same level of expectations for their program as we do? I mean, if it's a team like WSU, that team might be just happy to be here. But if it's a team like UCLA they won't take losing for long.

Second, what is the trajectory? This is all path dependent. If you are Butler and you are still living on the euphoria of last year, you might be ready to forgive a lot of things. There are still a lot of good feelings in the room. If the team is a traditional powerhouse with a big budget who is getting worse every year under a fairly long tenured coach, or treading water well below their historical norms, I think those fans are more likely to show more frustration.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Lieutenant General

bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Gazoo, this "other team" has high expectations. They go to the NCAA or the NIT most years. Their attendance exceeds that of UD every year.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,569 Times in 939 Posts
IAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Gazoo, this "other team" has high expectations. They go to the NCAA or the NIT most years. Their attendance exceeds that of UD every year.
Share the link. I'd appreciate reading their board...
Old 02-07-2011, 04:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I personally think that we make our complaints too personal here. But, it is nothing compared to the degrading treatment that Mike Sylvester's son received from Ohio State fans. They were brutal and the subject came up almost every day on why he was there, why he was playing, why he sucked etc, etc.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
I think we will get a better sense of whether the light bulb is switched on after the Rhody game. La Salle is not a good measuring stick as they are a very undisciplined team and let us run in transition all night. I still think this team is capable of finishing in the top 4 in the league. We are 2 games off the pace and play three of the current top four at home still so the best for this team may be yet to come.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Commander in Chief

I has been my experience that Rhody is also an undisciplined run-and-gun type of team too. I have not seen them this year, but it has been Baron's MO for as long as I remember.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by IAFlyer View Post
Share the link. I'd appreciate reading their board...

http://northcarolina.rivals.com/foru...d=1235&style=2
Old 02-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
I has been my experience that Rhody is also an undisciplined run-and-gun type of team too. I have not seen them this year, but it has been Baron's MO for as long as I remember.

I watched part of the Rhody/Temple game Saturday. They do like to run, but I wouldn't call them undisciplined. It will be a much tougher test. That's all I have seen of them so we shall see.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,569 Times in 939 Posts
IAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks! Since they are now 7-1 in conference and well on their way to a bid, I think I would have liked to see last year's board comments. They do have some pretty strict rules that would get a number of people tossed if we employed them.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Lieutenant General

If Delroy James gets started, look out. He takes some ill-advised shots.......problem is, when he starts hitting those shots he can take over a game.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanks! Since they are now 7-1 in conference and well on their way to a bid, I think I would have liked to see last year's board comments. They do have some pretty strict rules that would get a number of people tossed if we employed them.
You'll notice that wasn't always the case. There is a thread down the page a bit that talks about them getting off the bubble.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
If Delroy James gets started, look out. He takes some ill-advised shots.......problem is, when he starts hitting those shots he can take over a game.
He was 80pct of their scoring and making mostly quality in the lane spin and to the basket moves. Parts I saw he was in control and dominant.

He looked all about what a senior should be. Agressive, in control, effective and packed a punch on offense
Old 02-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
he buried the Flyers with 7 treys last year. CW kept losing him.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:13 PM
General

Don't you think their trajectory is a little different than ours after sending a few guys to the NBA from the same team, making the NIT finals in a down year, and then rebounding to be 7-1 in the ACC??

Sure, they have high expectations, but if we were 7-1 in the A-10 I reeeheeeheeeely don't think anyone here would be terribly unhappy.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (02-08-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,053 Times in 471 Posts
UD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to change the topic momentarily, but wanted to respond to IAFlyer's post about the North Carolina message board.

I read the NC board last year both before and after the UD-NC NIT game. Before NC played Dayton, they were positive and very supportive of their Tarheels and expected a W. After the game, they were shocked and disappointed that they lost to mid-major Dayton. There were a few mild criticisms of the play of a couple of their players (according to their forum rules, they can comment on a play, but not criticize the player), and there were comments that Dayton is a pretty darn good team.

If anyone is interested, there is a link to their "Forum Rules" above the message board threads in the link below.

http://northcarolina.rivals.com/cont...941&CID=156304

Last edited by UD Sam; 02-07-2011 at 10:33 PM..
Old 02-08-2011, 06:54 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,945 Times in 2,942 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
He looked all about what a senior should be. Agressive, in control, effective and packed a punch on offense
I saw James and URI play earlier this year--I think it was vs. X. He looked selfish, out-of-control and buried his team by continuing to take ill-advised three pointers and missing them.

Let's hope that version of Delroy shows up on Wednesday.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:35 PM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
I saw James and URI play earlier this year--I think it was vs. X. He looked selfish, out-of-control and buried his team by continuing to take ill-advised three pointers and missing them.

Let's hope that version of Delroy shows up on Wednesday.
Daytons luck he will hit everything he throws up there.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
"Buy in" factor.........

Well, even a broken clock...well. you get it. Wow, what a great first half both in getting a 7 point lead and showing a boat load of toughness and character. THEN..........It looked like a bunch of hapless little kids that lost their mommy in the big shopping mall the minute the "so-called" leader of this team got foul number 3....Stupid stupid stupid foul to get on a non-basketball move on a pass that could have been made by any other player at ant other time. The microcosm of this team can be summed up and happened in just a measely couple of minutes. Low, abysmal IQ by CQ followed by the children of the corn (Well, i wish they were as mean as them) that just had no direction, brains, leadership, and folded up like a cheap suit.
IDK where the toughness and leadership qualities come from in a player all the time. Some are innate while others are developed with "good, solid" coaching and a responsibility that a coach requires and requests from a player. See, coaching is only a part of X's and O'S. Player development both physically and "mentally" are a large part. Yes, you canchalk up some of this to youth, some to existing players that are not leaders, and a large part to the HC and the assistants.
When I started this thread after the Lasalle game I knew that the RI game would either substantiate the post or weaken it. I, for one, would have never ever ever guessed that we would fold like that in the 2nd half and show the determination and toughness of a butterfly. ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED at that and there's no reason. The physical weakness of JB was never so evident as it was last night. The rluctance of both Searcy and MK in that 2nd half to establish themselves and finish what would have been a couple huge buckets to swing both the score and the monentum was huge. The total lack of comprehension was on display by Parker but moreso when they needed him to act like a 4th year player.
Get the W saturday and the absolute sting oflast night is still there but cetainly not as painful. But do we really expect this team to be able to regroup against a physical always-tough minded Temple team who makes few mistakes when we could not even show both a toughness and an ability to coach after both a loust 15 minute halftime and CW getting a 3rd foul??