User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-09-2022, 02:35 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,939 Times in 2,940 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
The “Third year’s the Charm” Obi Toppin thread

BeckysTXA had a great idea to start a new thread for his Obiness. Please use this one from here on in as I've closed the old one.

I'll start with this great pic from his awesome game the other night:

10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
46 Chambers Alumni (11-09-2022), Canonball (10-12-2022), ChampCar (10-11-2022), cralford (11-14-2022), DickB 309 (10-16-2022), Flyer14 (10-13-2022), Glen Clark (10-09-2022), Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-09-2022), SeasonTicketFan (10-09-2022), The Gem (10-11-2022)
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2022, 03:52 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,501 Times in 819 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Does he also know how to dunk without putting the ball under his leg first?
Old 10-09-2022, 04:48 PM
Lieutenant General

FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Open practice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyuu_95irvE&t=988s
Old 10-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
That is indeed and awesome picture.
Mad Props to The Gem For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (10-12-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 12:01 PM
Lieutenant General

https://imgur.com/wOtlXRC

Photoshop removing the other players.
Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 07:50 PM
Staff Writer

Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Obi as always brings immediate energy:

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...Cq0ffKv-4rAAAA

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...Cl3fimwe4rAAAA

In the 2H more minutes but not too many touches. He bricked a triple but got out for a dunk on a bullet pass by Hartenstein:

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...ClgYrxyu4rAAAA

And soon after on a lob from Hartenstein:

https://twitter.com/KnicksMSGN/statu...C9rY2Vy-4rAAAA

To his credit, Thibs ran with Obi and the 2nd unit for most if not all of the 4Q.

Obi finished with 8 points on 4-7 shooting (0-3 on threes), 2 boards and a steal.

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 10-12-2022 at 09:31 PM..
Old 10-13-2022, 01:12 PM
Lieutenant General

Obi is still open for way more lobs than he ever gets. With a great point guard, he could average 25 or 30 per game feeding off of those dunks.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:50 PM
Staff Writer

Jalen Rose was out last night. IQ usually looks for Obi but he was busy shooting 4-18. It was encouraging to see the new bigman Hartenstein connect with #1 on two lobs. Highlights posted above.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2022, 02:14 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,587 Times in 3,712 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
I see absolutely nothing positive with last nights game to report on the Obi front. I checked the box score near the end of the third quarter and at the time Randle had played 25 minutes, to Obi's 8 minutes.

Thibs has not changed and at this point zero optimism for Obi to be given more than the 12 minutes or so per night he got last year. (excluding mop up duty in blow outs and the last few games of the season)

Best thing that could happen for the Knicks and Obi is an 0-9 start, Thibs fired, and Obi to finally get his chance with a new coach.

Someone wake me up in a month or two if anything happens to change my negative outlook on the season ahead. Until then I have zero NBA interest yet again.
Old 10-13-2022, 03:36 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,391 Times in 2,478 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
I see absolutely nothing positive with last nights game to report on the Obi front. I checked the box score near the end of the third quarter and at the time Randle had played 25 minutes, to Obi's 8 minutes.

Thibs has not changed and at this point zero optimism for Obi to be given more than the 12 minutes or so per night he got last year. (excluding mop up duty in blow outs and the last few games of the season)

Best thing that could happen for the Knicks and Obi is an 0-9 start, Thibs fired, and Obi to finally get his chance with a new coach.

Someone wake me up in a month or two if anything happens to change my negative outlook on the season ahead. Until then I have zero NBA interest yet again.
I certainly can’t counter thus with anything that I’d call positive. But I will add tto the mix in hopes there is a change somewhere. The Knicks tried to trade Randle but no one came anywhere close to what they think they need for him since they signed him to a big contract 2 off seasons ago and then he had a terrible year last year. And thus his market value tanked. So they are going to have to play him in hopes he starts producing to improve his market value. And then maybe they can trade him. It’s a horrible situation for Obi. The fans in NY love him. He loves being in NY. Someone else posted someone has to go…Thibs, Randle or Obi…for him to have a chance at a bigger role. I know nothing about the Knicks owner, so I have no option on if he would send a directive to get Obi more minutes?

I remember when Jason Kidd was a player for Dallas. I had season tickets. The team wasn’t very good back then, but I always came away from games being entertained because Kidd would always make some unbelievable pass or play every night. They usually lost, but you always had fun talking about Kidd’s talent after every game at a local bar for drinks afterwards. It was a very sad day for me when they traded him. You were left with a mediocre team with little entertainment value. I hope the Knicks owner gets that.
Old 10-13-2022, 04:07 PM
Staff Writer

I hear what you're saying. Last night's game was very much along the lines of last season, altho Obi and the 2nd unit played the entire 4Q.

Let's face it few if any of us are NYK fans--we are Obi fans. I'll still watch just to see the crazy stuff he is able to do on the basketball court.
Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 10:37 PM
Staff Writer

Obi had 6 points on 3-9 shooting in 18 minutes of run. Highlight:

IQ finds Obi: https://twitter.com/deeblackmma2/sta...CjiY_ElvErAAAA

Lowlight: Obi went back to the locker room after tripping over a fan. After the game Tom Thibodeau said Obi tweaked his ankle and was getting checked out.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:47 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,751 Times in 793 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Obi underwhelms in 13 minutes of play. Randle fouls out as game goes into OT and Obi still sits at the end of the bench for the entire OT even as Knicks are exhausted and fumble the game away.

Starting off like more of the same for Obi.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (10-20-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 12:12 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer View Post
Obi underwhelms in 13 minutes of play. Randle fouls out as game goes into OT and Obi still sits at the end of the bench for the entire OT even as Knicks are exhausted and fumble the game away.

Starting off like more of the same for Obi.
Posted via Mobile Device
I saw the unimpressive stat line, but did he make a lot of mistakes to get buried on the bench like that? It wasn't like he missed a lot (1/3), and had just 1 turnover in 13 minutes. Not good, but doesn't seem like enough to be benched for all of overtime.
Old 10-20-2022, 06:35 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,682 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Didn’t catch any of the game, but saw the box score afterward. Barring any news regarding injuries etc., it looks like Groundhog Day for our Obi, as Randle got 35 minutes to Obi’s 13. I agree with the previous post about nothing changing until at least 1 of Obi, Randle, and/or Thibs are no longer in the Knicks’ fold.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (10-20-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 09:31 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
I watched the entire game. Thibs refused to play Obi and Randle at the same time. Obi only came in to give Randle breaks at set times. Once Randle fouled out I was sure Obi would come in as that had been the pattern, but nooooooooooo, Obi was left on the bench the rest of the game. I have not a clue what is going on with the coaching.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:32 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,770 Times in 934 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Get used to this. Obi, Quick and Rose are roll players going forward unless injuries hit. Brunson and Reddish are massive upgrades and Mitchell/Hartenstein have locked down the post. The only future Obi had was a Randle trade. Not sure if that is still possible but based on Thibs' use of the two players it would shock me if he had any desire to shop Randle and let Obi take over.

I know he's a millionaire but this sucks for Obi. His youth is being wasted in a bad situation. He would start on many NBA teams or at least be a significant contributor. Most teams simply don't have the luxury of leaving offensive weapons like that on the bench.

Makes me really wonder why they spent the pick on him. Total waste for both sides.
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Southwest (10-21-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 02:16 PM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
Makes me really wonder why they spent the pick on him. Total waste for both sides.
There's a disconnect between the front office and the head coach.

You're right though. Obi and Thibs are just a bad fit. Thibs wants more rugged, defensively oriented players. Thibs wants to run a fairly structured offense. Obi thrives in an open, free-flowing game.

My hope was a trade this offseason. Unfortunately, being buried on the bench for two seasons hasn't exactly made Obi a hot commodity. And the front office can't just give up on the No. 8 pick.

He's still just 24 (25 in March). Lots of career left. He's got a club option next year for around the same salary (~$6 million). The year after, the club needs to make a qualifying offer, and his salary hikes to at least $9 million.

Seems likely the worst case scenario would be one more Knicks season after this one. There seems to be a reasonably good chance Thibs won't be there next year (and a chance there's a new front office). Here's hoping there's change in the Knicks organization or he finds a better fit in the very near future.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyer016 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (10-21-2022), hawkoooo (10-20-2022), Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-20-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 09:54 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
Obi was held out of practice on Sunday because of mild ankle sprain at end of last exhibition game. Maybe that had something to do with it. Watch the video where he dunks between two defenders. Ankle looked good in that dunk.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:03 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,770 Times in 934 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer68 View Post
Obi was held out of practice on Sunday because of mild ankle sprain at end of last exhibition game. Maybe that had something to do with it. Watch the video where he dunks between two defenders. Ankle looked good in that dunk.
I hope you're right and I hope I'm overreacting. Was very excited to watch the season opener on ESPN and it was a total let down.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:25 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,765 Times in 1,132 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
I saw part of the game—fast forwarded through non Obi playing time.

Obi looked passive in the offense. I’m not sure if it is related to above mentioned ankle sprain…although I didn’t see him limping.

I’m not sure if It is what role they have him playing but I was not impressed with his performance.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (10-23-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 09:03 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,595 Times in 5,091 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Obie always looks passive to me. He is a major "team player", but I think he needs to be more assertive at this point in his career. The Knicks do not play team ball, and he just gets marginalized.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:02 PM
General

Thanked 5,455 Times in 2,384 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
Obie

C'mon man.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-17-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 10:38 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,319 Times in 686 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
I watched the game. I don't think Obi's ankle had anything to do with it, or at least nothing significant. Rose and Reddish took almost every shot. Obi, when he gets the ball, which is rare, he looks to pass first. All the other guys look to get a shot. I thought Obi played pretty well, possibly a mistake on D, but no more than any of the other players made. Thibs just doesn't want him out there except to spell Randle.

For OT, I too thought Obi would be out there, but the Knicks went small with Brunson, Fournier, Reddish, Barrett, and Hartenstein. Hard to take Reddish out given the way he was making buckets and they won't take Barrett out, even though he was like 3-19.

Whatever the case is, Obi will never thrive on the Knicks with Thibs and Randle there, and I'm not sure even if Randle were traded (he won't be), Thibs still wouldn't favor Obi.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:43 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Obi went through about 2 weeks last year where he seemed pretty upset with his lot in life. And it wasn’t “bad”. Those that have watched him for years could tell he wasn’t happy. The average public probably didn’t even notice. Other than that he has been 100% a company man in all actions, words and body language. He loves New York, but he is in year 3 of a 4 year contract. He works harder than any player on the team. He’s done everything they have asked him to do and more in that his skills and personality have excited the fans and sold tickets.

It’s still very early and there is the slight ankle injury, but a month from now if it’s more of the same I think Obi will become very vocal up to and including wanting a trade. His next contract will be what sets him and his family up for life. He’s got to be on the court to maximize that contract. He’s got a lot of his life to live in New York after his NBA career. The time is coming soon to do what he has to do to advance professionally and to set his family up financially.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (10-20-2022), Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-20-2022), TXFlyerFan (10-21-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 04:23 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
# free obi!!!!
Mad Props to AZFlyer85 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (10-20-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 06:20 PM
Captain

Flyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to all
Watched the game and I agree that Obi tries to get the best shot. He made a couple of passes that directly led to baskets (thought he should have two assists, but they only gave him one.) And he gave up a shot and threw a pass to another who fumbled it. Was that the turnover? Give it to the player that passed it?
Old 10-20-2022, 07:00 PM

Thanked 2,425 Times in 827 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
The fans (and pundits) don’t always get what they want. And as this story points out, it doesn’t take a genius to see why Thibs and Obi are in different universes.

https://dailyknicks.com/2022/10/20/e...ng-obi-toppin/
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (10-20-2022), FlyingArrow (10-20-2022), Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-20-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 07:03 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Wish they'd just trade him so we can really see what he can do.
Mad Props to Canonball For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (10-20-2022)
Old 10-21-2022, 09:12 AM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
The fans (and pundits) don’t always get what they want. And as this story points out, it doesn’t take a genius to see why Thibs and Obi are in different universes.

https://dailyknicks.com/2022/10/20/e...ng-obi-toppin/

As frustrated as Obi is, I hope his agent is giving him wise counsel. The best thing he can do is continue to be a fan favorite and not show his frustration. I want to see him at mid-court screaming "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED???" while Thibs is forced by the adoring masses to give him a thumb up. Obi's best chance is to win the people. He's Maximus.

I get that the analogy only goes so far, he's not on the court much, but he's got to keep his infectious smile, unabashed love for NYC, and high energy for every minute he gets.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (10-23-2022), CT Flyer (10-21-2022), superfan99 (10-21-2022), The Fly (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022, 10:56 AM

Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,763 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
As frustrated as Obi is, I hope his agent is giving him wise counsel. The best thing he can do is continue to be a fan favorite and not show his frustration. I want to see him at mid-court screaming "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED???" while Thibs is forced by the adoring masses to give him a thumb up. Obi's best chance is to win the people. He's Maximus.

I get that the analogy only goes so far, he's not on the court much, but he's got to keep his infectious smile, unabashed love for NYC, and high energy for every minute he gets.
Pro Sports is a different animal. Many of player has requested a trade and ended up the better for it. If Obi's agent asks for a trade, the fans would probably side with Obi which would add pressure to the GM.

Obi's contract ending will be a factor at some point. The current system does not match Obi's play as many have stated. Thibs is not going anywhere unless the team really tanks this year.

Obi being a New York guy, would not want to leave, but Pro Sports is a business.
Old 10-21-2022, 05:19 PM
General

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
Pro Sports is a different animal. Many of player has requested a trade and ended up the better for it. If Obi's agent asks for a trade, the fans would probably side with Obi which would add pressure to the GM.

Obi's contract ending will be a factor at some point. The current system does not match Obi's play as many have stated. Thibs is not going anywhere unless the team really tanks this year.

Obi being a New York guy, would not want to leave, but Pro Sports is a business.

He's got more trade value as a much-beloved fan favorite than a brooding former high pick that's underperforming. I'm just saying, he can't brood prior to asking for a trade. Well he can but it's not ideal.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:56 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
Thibs sucks!!!
Mad Props to AZFlyer85 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 11:56 AM

Thanked 2,210 Times in 975 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb my theory

I find it interesting that Obi plays all of 13 minutes and takes 3 shots at Memphis and then suddenly goes 7-12 in 21 minutes at MSG.

My Theory: Because he is a fan favorite, Obi will get a lot more minutes in home games.

Just a wild theory.
Old 10-24-2022, 01:47 PM

SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
I find it interesting that Obi plays all of 13 minutes and takes 3 shots at Memphis and then suddenly goes 7-12 in 21 minutes at MSG.

My Theory: Because he is a fan favorite, Obi will get a lot more minutes in home games.

Just a wild theory.
Obi gets less minutes if the game is close.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sticks 'n Stearns (10-24-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 12:38 AM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
Obi had some video game quality dunks - and a nice no look drop behind him pass for AJ who was trailing the play for a nice Dunk. Overall Obi looked great and then Thibs yanked him with just 13 or 14 minutes of game time and 10 pts. It is sooooo frustrating watch Thibs just squander Obi on the bench.
Mad Props to podcast411 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 10:56 AM

MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
4th year option

Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting that the Knicks have picked up Obi's 4th year option.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1585269911517073410

I don't know if that's good or bad.

Last edited by MrFlyerFanatic; 10-26-2022 at 11:12 AM..
Old 10-26-2022, 11:18 AM

Thanked 10,167 Times in 5,895 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
So can Obi turn it down and become a FA?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2022, 11:26 AM
Captain

Kevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
No I believe the rookie contract option is purely the team’s decision
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2022, 12:19 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,009 Times in 498 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Thibs quote on Obi from a blurb about the option pickup:

“He brings life into everything he does. He walks into the building and there is a bounce to him. He energizes the team, and you can feed off that but when he is playing defense and getting out and we can play fast…. everything is fast with him. Defensively, he’s working hard at it. There’s still a ways to go but he’s made great strides.”
Old 10-26-2022, 12:24 PM
Colonel

Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
An option, by definition is a generally unilateral thing, either a team option or a player option. I have seen "mutual options" used in MLB contracts before but never in an NBA contract, (I use quotes because if both sides have to agree, I don't really consider that an option, that is a negotiation even if the terms are predetermined). I think this 4th year team option is part of the collective bargaining agreement along with the rookie wage scale.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:25 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Flyers98 View Post
An option, by definition is a generally unilateral thing, either a team option or a player option. I have seen "mutual options" used in MLB contracts before but never in an NBA contract, (I use quotes because if both sides have to agree, I don't really consider that an option, that is a negotiation even if the terms are predetermined). I think this 4th year team option is part of the collective bargaining agreement along with the rookie wage scale.
Wouldn't mutual option mean that either one of them could choose to opt in? Seems like that would probably only make sense at different dollar amounts. Like a 1-year contract for $10million, with a 2nd year as a $5million player-option and $10million team option. If it's a mutual option at the same dollar amount, seems inevitable that one or the other would opt-in.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:22 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
Wouldn't mutual option mean that either one of them could choose to opt in? Seems like that would probably only make sense at different dollar amounts. Like a 1-year contract for $10million, with a 2nd year as a $5million player-option and $10million team option. If it's a mutual option at the same dollar amount, seems inevitable that one or the other would opt-in.
A mutual option means they both have to opt in, which is why I don't really consider it an option, because your opt doesn't matter unless the other guy also opts.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:23 PM
Staff Writer

Obi got his three game going in the 1H:

https://twitter.com/KnicksMSGN/statu...CzpY7rx4AsAAAA

6 points on 2-2 3 point shooting, 2 boards and 2 dimes in 8 minutes.

#1 hit another triple to finish with 9 points:

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...CyvdeT0YAsAAAA

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 10-26-2022 at 09:45 PM..
fuz_forward (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 09:49 AM
Captain

Flyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to all
Obi’s playing time

I’m sorry, but didn’t like Tibs taking Obi out in the fourth for the last 6:46 mins. and overtime, Obi had 1 offensive rebound, 1 miss and one 3 in his last 5:15 of play. Randle playing time ended 3 times more than Obi and Obi was playing well. In his limited playing time Obi had knocked down a team high 3 threes. Randles end of the fourth quarter he had 1 basket in 3 tries, 1 rebound and 1 foul. Overtime he was 1 of 2 points, 2 rebounds i foul and 1 turnover. Why take Obi out? Obi needs 20 mins. per game!
Old 10-27-2022, 10:35 AM

TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer Dave View Post
I’m sorry, but didn’t like Tibs taking Obi out in the fourth for the last 6:46 mins. and overtime, Obi had 1 offensive rebound, 1 miss and one 3 in his last 5:15 of play. Randle playing time ended 3 times more than Obi and Obi was playing well. In his limited playing time Obi had knocked down a team high 3 threes. Randles end of the fourth quarter he had 1 basket in 3 tries, 1 rebound and 1 foul. Overtime he was 1 of 2 points, 2 rebounds i foul and 1 turnover. Why take Obi out? Obi needs 20 mins. per game!
Because Randle is being paid 120M and Thibs thinks Obi's D isn't good enough, while overlooking all the bad D played by Randle and other starters.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 11:41 AM

Talking Wow, that didn't take long to disprove

Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post

Just a wild theory.
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
Obi gets less minutes if the game is close.
My theory was proven to be garbage.
SeasonTicketFan was spot on.
superfan99 (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 10:34 AM

It’s a broken record. Obi is in a tough position, but I do think something will give this season. Right now I would say Obi’s trade-value is higher than Randle’s. And when I say trade-value I’m not talking about the dollar amount. I’m talking about ability to trade a player as a good value for both teams. Randle is “upside-down” in trade value like you can get upside-down on a house. So the Knicks have to play him in hope he performs well to make up for his bad year last year. Either to keep him or to trade him and get out of a trade what they have into him.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (10-27-2022), Gazoo (10-28-2022), The Fly (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 12:26 PM
Colonel

I didn't watch last night's game but if you are sitting Randle in favor of Obi in crunch time, you better be announcing a trade the next day. I know alot of us would love that and think it is warranted but it ain't gonna happen.

For better or worse, Julius Randle is the star to which the Knicks have hitched their wagon and until he is gone, even if there is a new coach, he is going to be the man.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:54 PM
Major

superfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyers98 View Post
I didn't watch last night's game but if you are sitting Randle in favor of Obi in crunch time, you better be announcing a trade the next day. I know alot of us would love that and think it is warranted but it ain't gonna happen.

For better or worse, Julius Randle is the star to which the Knicks have hitched their wagon and until he is gone, even if there is a new coach, he is going to be the man.
I agree, but why can't Obi come in for anyone except Randle?

There is also time earlier in the game, like 3rd quarter, that Obi could play.

I understand that Randle isn't going to sit at the end of the 4th or in OT.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:23 PM
Staff Writer

Obi highlights:

https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/1586159751695458304

https://twitter.com/Tom_Piccolo/stat...58932963123200

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...Cy7fa3n4MsAAAA

Obi finishes with 11 points on 3-5 three point shooting, plus 3 boards and 2 assists.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (10-29-2022), fuz_forward (10-30-2022), Runnin' Rebel (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 05:40 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Obi highlights:

https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/1586159751695458304

https://twitter.com/Tom_Piccolo/stat...58932963123200

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...Cy7fa3n4MsAAAA

Obi finishes with 11 points on 3-5 three point shooting, plus 3 boards and 2 assists.
Obi really worked on his 3 pointer and dribbling with his Trainer in the off-season. It shows and is producing dividends. Looks more relaxed and confident shooting it!
Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (11-01-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 07:52 PM
Staff Writer

Obi highlights:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tom_Picco...C4rZGq1YUsAAAA

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tom_Picco...Cx9fWV1YUsAAAA

https://mobile.twitter.com/nyknicks/...DUvZCh0oUsAAAA

https://mobile.twitter.com/KnicksMSG...48412548616192

9 1H points on 4-5 shooting plus 4 rebounds

Obi got burned by Kevin Love on two consecutive three pointers and was yanked, finishing with his 9 1H points
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 10-30-2022 at 08:05 PM..
Old 10-31-2022, 12:21 AM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
Obi highlights:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tom_Picco...C4rZGq1YUsAAAA

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tom_Picco...Cx9fWV1YUsAAAA

https://mobile.twitter.com/nyknicks/...DUvZCh0oUsAAAA

https://mobile.twitter.com/KnicksMSG...48412548616192

9 1H points on 4-5 shooting plus 4 rebounds

Obi got burned by Kevin Love on two consecutive three pointers and was yanked, finishing with his 9 1H points
Posted via Mobile Device
Obi also had multiple turnovers in a row. This was one time where Thibs actually left Obi in too long. Obi seemed to be out of sync in the 4th quarter. He looked great in the first half. But then Thibs did not play him at all in the 3rd quarter. Maybe Thibs sat him too long to start with - then Obi looked out of sync too many turn overs and the aforementioned leaving Love open for 3's - and then he was yanked.

I am sure Obi will shake this off and be more focused the next game.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by podcast411 View Post
Obi also had multiple turnovers in a row. This was one time where Thibs actually left Obi in too long. Obi seemed to be out of sync in the 4th quarter. He looked great in the first half. But then Thibs did not play him at all in the 3rd quarter. Maybe Thibs sat him too long to start with - then Obi looked out of sync too many turn overs and the aforementioned leaving Love open for 3's - and then he was yanked.

Obi could not have played any worse than the starters did for the last 7-8 minutes of the game. The starters were embarrassed.
Old 10-31-2022, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by podcast411 View Post

It wasn't Obi's best game for sure, but Thibs holds him to a different standard than the rest of the team for whatever reason. It's hard to get into the flow after sitting out part of the 2nd qtr, halftime, and all of the third qtr (except the last 34 seconds). It's a ridiculous rotation setup that doesn't make it easy.

In the first half when Love and Toppin were in at the same time, Love made 4 shots (3 3's and 1 2, plus 2 FT's on a foul by Brunson). In the second, Love made 3 more 3s while Toppin was in, and 2 when he was out. Obi's not the first guy that Love has shown up with 3 point shooting, and I expect had Obi not played at all, Love's stats would likely have been very similar to what he ended up with. What sort of doomed Obi was the 3 turnovers and 2 missed shots. But again, we've seen that from other players and Thibs doesn't pull them out. I'd go so far as to say based on the lineup the Cavs ran out there, the Knicks would have been better playing Obi and Randle at the same time, along with Mitchell, Brunson, and Barrett, rather than so much time for Reddish. But we all know that's not going to happen.

Still, Obi has to just keep on grinding until either he or Randle is traded.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:07 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,196 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Knicks shopping Obi?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...4384231a739afb
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bill McPeek For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (11-01-2022), FlyingArrow (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 08:03 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Bill McPeek View Post
Knicks shopping Obi?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...4384231a739afb
Let's hope so.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:27 PM

I watched the Knicks 4th quarter collapse.
If Obi is on the bench due to his defense and rebounding, I wonder why the starting five is on the floor.

Their defense, rebounding and hustle was non existent.

Granted Mitchell is a stud and Cavs are a very good team, but….
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (11-02-2022), ClaytonFlyerFan (10-30-2022), Flyer Dave (10-31-2022), Gazoo (10-30-2022), Sarge (10-30-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 11:27 AM

I don’t know if Obi will ask for a trade. It’s a little early into the season, but I’m pretty confident in about 30 days there will be more than one team calling the Knicks yo inquire about Obi. He has skills, leadership and personality that can change a team’s fortunes. He can fill a missing link several teams will be looking to acquire. His trade value is so much better than Randel’s I just see Obi moving this season. Randel is upside down in trade value and so far I’ve seen nothing from him that will change that, although it’s very early in the season.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (11-02-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 08:20 PM
Staff Writer

Obi scored 2 straight hoops to start the 2Q. He pump-faked a three and drove to the hoop:

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...62350925058049

And then got out on the break for a layup:

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...62633767989248

That put NYK up by 15, causing ATL to call a TO. Later he splashed a three:

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...63666191654912

His only miss was a heat check three. 10 points on 4-5 shooting in 8 1H minutes.

In the 2H Obi finished the flush off a nice feed from Reddish:

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...CiserH0IksAAAA

He also bricked a couple of threes and blew a reverse dunk. The good news is that Obi got more minutes but the NYK got crushed.

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 11-02-2022 at 09:40 PM..
fuz_forward (11-03-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 08:41 PM
Major

Obi scored 2 straight hoops to start the 2Q. He pump-faked a three and drove to the hoop:

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...62350925058049

That put NYK up by 15, causing ATL to call a TO. Later he splashed a three:

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...63666191654912

His only miss was a heat check three. 10 points on 4-5 shooting in 8 1H minutes
And then Thibs yanked him and he has to sit through 1/2 the 2nd quarter, half-time and the 3rd quarter. By the time he gets back in it will have been over an hour in Real world time. Thibs is criminal in how he treats Obi.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to podcast411 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (11-02-2022), Gazoo (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 09:22 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,336 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is the NBA but isn't this one a travel?
Old 11-03-2022, 02:54 PM

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I know this is the NBA but isn't this one a travel?
It certainly was close, but after reviewing it too many times, I felt he did not travel, but saved the show with the one dribble. Close.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 03:22 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,336 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
It certainly was close, but after reviewing it too many times, I felt he did not travel, but saved the show with the one dribble. Close.
I can see taking the two steps and right into a shot/dunk but I didn't think you could take two steps and then decide to dribble.
Old 11-03-2022, 03:56 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I can see taking the two steps and right into a shot/dunk but I didn't think you could take two steps and then decide to dribble.
He caught the ball in the air (barely). He landed on the first foot and then the second foot. The second foot (left foot) is his pivot foot. The ball is out of his hands dribbling before his pivot foot comes up.

Looks legal to me. It looks awkward because at full speed it's hard to tell that he's actually in the air (both feet) when he catches the ball.

Last edited by FlyingArrow; 11-03-2022 at 04:02 PM..
Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-03-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 09:17 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,701 Times in 1,284 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Knicks spit the bit and cough up 23 pt lead. It really is criminal allowing Thibs to coach any team. Free Obi!
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (11-03-2022), FlyingArrow (11-02-2022), Glen Clark (11-02-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 08:31 AM
Captain

Obi was on a roll, then for Tibbs unknown reason, took him out after 7 1/2 mins. Sat him and interrupted his flow of the game. Hey Tibbs…if he is playing well and hitting all those shots, leave him in.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:52 AM
General

Originally Posted by Flyer Dave View Post
Obi was on a roll, then for Tibbs unknown reason, took him out after 7 1/2 mins. Sat him and interrupted his flow of the game. Hey Tibbs…if he is playing well and hitting all those shots, leave him in.

It honestly seems like he'd rather lose with his strategy than win by changing and admitting he is wrong.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (11-03-2022), superfan99 (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Knicks spit the bit and cough up 23 pt lead. It really is criminal allowing Thibs to coach any team. Free Obi!
Posted via Mobile Device
Coughing up the 23 point lead is bad, but it was worse than that. They did that and lost by 13 points. How does that even happen?
Old 11-03-2022, 02:39 PM

I saw an article this morning that says Thibs record with the Knicks is 78-77. Not exactly stellar if you want to be a playoff team.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:41 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,363 Times in 1,101 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
If You missed the Knicks game tonight-you missed an Obi classic show in the fourth quarter. 17 points in 20 mins and put the Knicks up for good late in the 4th quarter.
Posted via Mobile Device
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-05-2022), Bonziflyer (11-05-2022), CvilleFlyer (11-05-2022), Flyer 86 (11-05-2022), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 09:46 PM
1st Lieutenant

flyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
If You missed the Knicks game tonight-you missed an Obi classic show in the fourth quarter. 17 points in 20 mins and put the Knicks up for good late in the 4th quarter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thibs finally played Obi and Randle together and the Knicks made their run. Hope we see more of them playing together. Good things happen when Obi is on the floor.

Last edited by flyerman; 11-04-2022 at 09:48 PM..
Mad Props to flyerman For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-05-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 09:52 PM
Staff Writer

Here is the three that put NYK ahead:

https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/1588702754033217541

He also had this slam:

https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/...Ci7YCtmIwsAAAA
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-05-2022), fuz_forward (11-07-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 09:35 AM
General

Here is the three that put NYK ahead:

https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/1588702754033217541

He also had this slam:

https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/...Ci7YCtmIwsAAAA

Wow what beautiful offense on that first clip. 10 guys standing still until Randall dribbles off his knee and throws a wild pass to the only guy he could find.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:50 AM

A couple things…first the 3. Best part of that is Obi made himself an option by moving up the 3-point line so Randle could pass to him. If he stays down in the corner he doesn’t get the ball.

I wonder what the fine from the league office is going to be. There has to be a league rule Obi can’t play if Randle is on the court. It’s the only rational reason it’s almost never done. So I wonder how much Thibs will be fined.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-05-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 07:44 PM
Staff Writer

Tonight's game vs. Boston is on NBA-TV for those who get that channel. If not, Comcast (and perhaps other cable systems) is offering a free seven day trial of NBA League Pass.

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 11-05-2022 at 07:47 PM..
Old 11-05-2022, 08:23 PM
Staff Writer

Obi missed a corner three. And then a point blank putback. And another triple. He goes 0-4 with 3 rebounds, a block and a -17 in 7 1H minutes.

Yuck.

Obi missed yet another trey but finally made one:

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...Cqmfzfv40sAAAA

And a hoop in the paint and a beautiful finger roll, both seen here:

https://twitter.com/KnicksMSGN/statu...CqqbuVwI0sAAAA

But then missed a triple.

He finishes with 7 points on 3-9 shooting, 6 rebounds, a steal and a block in 15 minutes.

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 11-05-2022 at 09:42 PM..
Old 11-06-2022, 12:23 PM
General

One thing that strikes me in the second clip is Fornier standing in the corner. If we watched that clip and the roles were reversed, everyone here would be saying how Obi is just standing still, not getting involved, what's wrong with his energy, etc. We tend to overemphasize every moment.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:01 PM

During the second quarter, the. Knicks were pounded by three point shooting. Of course, blame Obi for all the poor rotations on defense. Seems like he is the fall guy whenever the team goes south.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:19 AM
Staff Writer

Lost in the Flyer opening night festivities was the fact that Obi and the NYK also had a game and it was a good one for our guy:

15 points, 7 boards, 4 steals and 3assists in, most importantly, 25 minutes of action in a win over the T-Wolves.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 11-08-2022 at 06:24 AM..
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
46 Chambers Alumni (11-09-2022), Chris R (11-09-2022), CT Flyer (11-08-2022), Flyer 86 (11-17-2022), Flyers98 (11-08-2022), fuz_forward (11-08-2022), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-08-2022), TXFlyerFan (11-08-2022), wes (11-08-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 07:00 PM
Staff Writer

Obi and the NYK face the Nets on ESPN at 7:30 tonight
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2022, 08:35 PM
Staff Writer

Obi missed a contested lob at the rim. He then scored off a nifty pass from IQ for the hoop and the harm. He made the FT (he has yet to miss one this year), missed a bunny but then scored on a run-out finger roll layup:

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...17554866704385

5 points on 2-4 shooting plus an assist and a steal in 8 minutes in the 1H.

Jalen Brunson may be a PG, but he is a shoot-first PG. He missed Obi several trips and took the shot himself. He is currently 4-14. Knicks getting pantsed by 30. I'm out.

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 11-09-2022 at 09:43 PM..
Chris R (11-10-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 09:17 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
Was surfing and came upon Knicks game. They were awful and, even if Obi had a good night, they would still have lost by 15 to 20 points. Guards were awful and missed open shots. Coach seems clueless and I bet there will be a coaching change before the end of the season. Obi was open a few times on the left side and corner and guard looked other way resulting in nothing. Stays out from basket or into one of the corners.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:35 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,587 Times in 3,712 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
I caught bits and pieces of the game last night. Looked to me like every single one of the eKnicks were playing All Star Game quality defense.

FIRE THIBS
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-17-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 09:39 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,623 Times in 699 Posts
Monster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond repute
I caught bits and pieces of the game last night. Looked to me like every single one of the eKnicks were playing All Star Game quality defense.

FIRE THIBS
I get disgusted nearly every time I watch a Knicks game. Free Obi or fire Thibs!
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Monster Man For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (11-12-2022), Flyer68 (11-12-2022), San Diego Flyer (11-10-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 10:01 AM
Staff Writer

The NYK need to stop scheduling games when the Flyers play! Last night, Obi scored 8 points on 3-9 shooting (2-7 from three), to go with 5 boards, an assist, a steal and a block in 22 minutes of a win over the lowly Pistons.

Highlight of Obi thrice:

https://twitter.com/Tom_Piccolo/stat...DTqfq_ppUsAAAA
Old 11-13-2022, 03:41 PM
Staff Writer

Noon game for the Knicks today and Obi scored 10 points on 4-5 shooting with 2 boards in 15 minutes.

Highlights:

https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/1591848671343439882

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...66306554646529
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2022, 08:16 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

The Yardbreaker: Blockbuster Trade Idea with NY Nets - Randle & Fournier to Nets in return for Ben Simmons. Knick take a chance on Simmons. Only repeating it here because Toppin is mentioned.

Comment in article, "There is no risk here for either team. The New York Knicks would be able to increase their ceiling for the future while also clearing valuable development time for players like Obi Toppin and Immanuel Quickley."

Article also says unknown if Knicks \ Nets ever engaged in trade talks about such a move.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:02 PM
Staff Writer

Obi and the NYK face the Utah Jazz at 9:00 pm EDT, the perfect prelude to UD/UNLV. Obi's initial 1H shot was a missed triple, but he later hit 1 of those suckers to go with three dimes and 1 board in 9 minutes, including this oop to Sims:

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...CqnZfQuZosAAAA

Meanwhile little brother Jacob scored 10 points but #4 UK lost to MSU.

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 11-15-2022 at 10:17 PM..
Old 11-15-2022, 10:22 PM
Major

Obi and the NYK face the Utah Jazz at 9:00 pm EDT, the perfect prelude to UD/UNLV. Obi's initial 1H shot was a missed triple, but he later hit 1 of those suckers to go with three dimes and 1 board in 9 minutes, including this oop to Sims:

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...CqnZfQuZosAAAA

Meanwhile little brother Jacob scored 10 points but #4 UK lost to MSU.
Interesting for Thibs to bring Obi back in. Usually Thibs does not put Obi back in once he pulled him - but With Obi in - the Knicks have played well (Obi is +9) so dare I say maybe Thibs might be learning? He also had him in there with Randal for part of the 2nd half.

Rumor is that Thibs could be gone by Dec 1st if the Knicks have less than 10 wins at that point.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:59 PM
Staff Writer

Third 3 for Toppin: https://twitter.com/KnicksMSGN/statu...Cp4ZnwwJosAAAA

He goes out with 9 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists in 18 minutes and with the Knicks comfortably ahead.

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 11-15-2022 at 11:06 PM..
Flyer 86 (11-17-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 01:16 AM
Lieutenant General

Obi is far too gruntled.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (11-17-2022), Gazoo (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 09:30 AM
Staff Writer

7 points and 3 boards for our guy in 23 minutes in a late-night victory over Denver.
Flyer 86 (11-17-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 08:21 PM
Staff Writer

The Knicks take on the Warriors tonight at 10:00 pm EST on ESPN. Obi comes in with 3 and change to go in the 1Q and the NYK are already down by 14. Obi blew a reverse oop from IQ. He makes 1-2 FT. He then bricked a three, blew a bunny at the rim and missed a desperation heave at the buzzer

Not his finest quarter.

Barrett tried to throw an alley oop to Obi and hit the backboard. Obi sits after going 0-4 with 1 point and 2 rebounds. He is not the only one laying brickwork--the Knicks are 7-30 for 23%.

Goodnight.

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 11-18-2022 at 11:04 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-18-2022), UDEE79 (11-18-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 09:58 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,226 Times in 586 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
The Knicks take on the Warriors tonight at 10:00 pm EST on ESPN. Obi comes in with 3 and change to go in the 1Q and the NYK are already down by 14. Obi blew a reverse oop from IQ. He makes 1-2 FT. He then bricked a three, blew a bunny at the rim and missed a desperation heave at the buzzer

Not his finest quarter.

Barrett tried to throw an alley oop to Obi and hit the backboard. Obi sits after going 0-4 with 1 point and 2 rebounds. He is not the only one laying brickwork--the Knicks are 7-30 for 23%.

Goodnight.
Obi played 19 minutes in the 111-101 loss to the Golden State Warriors last night. It was not one of his better performances. 0 for 5 (0 for 3 on three pointers). 1 out of 2 free throws and 5 rebounds. Knicks made 32-34 free throws for 94.1%. Randle had 20 points!
Old 11-19-2022, 11:15 AM
General

I watched a game about a week ago to see Obi play and was left with the same feeling I get once per year: the NBA is as unwatchable as major league baseball in the era of swing angles. Given the choice I would literally rather log on to my computer and work.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (11-19-2022), jack72 (11-19-2022), Monster Man (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 05:32 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,623 Times in 699 Posts
Monster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I watched a game about a week ago to see Obi play and was left with the same feeling I get once per year: the NBA is as unwatchable as major league baseball in the era of swing angles. Given the choice I would literally rather log on to my computer and work.
It’s hard to watch, Obi’s role in the offense is to camp out in the corner. I quit watching.
Old 11-20-2022, 05:35 PM
Staff Writer

NYK getting curb stomped by the Suns in Phoenix. Obi not helping at all going 0-4 with 3 rebounds and an assist in 18 minutes. Hard to show any highlights when he doesn't score.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:05 PM
Major

flybye is infamous around these parts
Obi is lost... has played very poorly last 2 games... his body language and energy not there. Needs a reset ... new coach and perhaps new opportunity. More importantly he needs a kick in the ass.. not aggressive or physical on the boards . I agree Tibs time has come and gone but Obi needs to step up. Plays soft. Love him hope he gets it going !!
Posted via Mobile Device