UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2016 Match Threads

2016 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-14-2016, 03:40 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
VCU I Thread

VCU has a 5'9" freshman setter averaging less than 8.5 a/s. I expect our improving block to control the net. We should sweep this team.
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2016, 07:31 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
UD up 1-0 taking (25-21). VCU lead early but we took control at 16-16. We hit over 300, but everyone except Lauren has a hitting error. It wasn't we were getting blocked (VCU has only 1) but rather hitting out. VCU's court appears to be their bball court -- and it's very light oak wood and the vball lines are white. It's hard to see on the video. I don't know if its hard to see as a hitter.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 07:54 PM

UD up 2-0. (25-19). We have 5 blocks. VCU is hitting at Jane to try to take out setter out of her role. Jane leads in digs with 7. Team is hitting over 300 -- with all hitters above .260 - which is always nice. Stat-wise, VCU was a "better" blocking team than UD coming in, but they only have 2 blocks.

Let's SWEEP. GO FLYERS!
Old 10-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
VCU playing better. 11-8 TO UD
Old 10-14-2016, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by NovaFlyer View Post
VCU playing better. 11-8 TO UD
This is a good TO. We are playing "easy-way-out" and VCU has it's block set. And we are hitting errors. Its' not the passing -- just bad decisions.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:17 PM

18-13 VCU. UD takes it's 2nd timeout. Again, we are not dictating or controlling this set. And I don't care if your rip is 100 points better, if you don't take care of your side of the net you are going to be challenged and possibly drop a set. Will be a good test to see if we can right this ship. Early in the year we pulled some of these sets out, but haven't been in this place for awhile.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:23 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
VCU wins the 3rd set, they lead the whole way.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:30 PM

VCU takes a set 22-25. Here is all you need to know. After 2 sets, VCU was hitting around .167 for the match. They are now hitting .142. Our defense was fine. After 2 sets UD was hitting .318 for the match. We are now hitting .165 for the match. Jane has done a great job of setting all year. Her placement, and timing with the hitters has been great. And she has spread the ball around making it hard for the block to know were she is going. But this was the worst setting I've seen from Jane in a long, long time. Let's hope she just mentally checked out for a set and can rebound -- meaning I hope she is feeling ok and not hurt or coming down with something. We all have a bad day at the office. It happens. And she looked great the first two sets. So time to right this ship. Go Flyers.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDSpud (10-15-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 08:39 PM
Colonel

19-15 ud
Old 10-14-2016, 08:50 PM
Colonel

UD wins 3-1. The ship was righted.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:52 PM

25-21 UD in the 4th to win it 3-1. Wheels came off in that 3rd set, but the team pulled it together in the 4th. I'm hoping Jane crammed all her bad sets into this match in the 3rd and now we can get back to her usual great decisions on where to send the ball. Like I said, it happens to all of us from time to time.

I'm pretty sure, Jess Sloan scored the 25th point in all 3 sets we won. I know she did in Sets 2 and 4 and I think she did the first set too.

We finished the match hitting .192. That's not good, but we got it done. 13.5 blocks in 4 sets it very good. This is shaping up to be our 3rd weekend in a row our blocking has improved. I'm sure the team has been working on it and it's paying off.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 10-14-2016 at 08:54 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
NovaFlyer (10-14-2016), rollo (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 08:50 AM

Jamie had 9 digs in this match. I would guess this is a career high. I don't think she played the back row so these were probably in the normal court coverage from the front row. I think her future is a 6 rotation player. She will probably be working on the back row piece in the off season. So any digging and passing experience she can on the court helps that development.

Also, Jordan attacked twice out of the back row playing DS. She scored once for a 500 hitting percentage. This is important for this team this year. She's broke into the rotation the last week or so and we sorely needed another person who can take swings from the back. Jess has been the only one playing 6 rotations, and the only hitter back there. In recent years we have had two back row hitters. When we are out of system bad, there are only two options to set. The left OH or a back row hitter. For 3 rotations, when Jess has been in the front row, we only had her on the left as an option, making it very easy for the block to set up. And Jess has seen a ton of double blocks just waiting for her. So Jordan's development in the back row is critical the rest of the year. We need to get her some swings to keep the block guessing.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (10-23-2016), Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-15-2016), UDVBFan (10-19-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 05:46 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
UD - VCU set three question

I did not see this game or set, but just followed the score and activity on "LIVE
STATS" . Could anyone who saw the action with the actual plays respond to the following from the third set.

Starting with the score VCU - 15 and UD 13 the following was reported as VCU scores on the "play by play" feature of LIVE STATS - VCU points 16, 17, 18,
20 and 21 were all labeled Att Error Bruns. Did Lauren Bruns have that poor a period of play? If so, were the sets to her good, average or poor? If the setting was OK, was she hitting long, wide, getting blocked or other reasons VCU got the points?

At this time in the season, I still feel she one of top five front row players. TH probably thought VCU was good as he appeared to shorten the bench.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:20 AM

My video feed is usually a couple plays behind the live stats, so when it is close, at the end of sets I'm usually mostly on stats, so I know the outcome as soon as it's available. I do know if it's a block vs hitting out, play-by-play shows the blockers. Something like "Hitting error Anderson. (Block Peterson and Brown)". So if you didn't get a line of blockers on a hitting error, then the hitter either hit into the net, hit the pin or hit outside of the court.

I can watch the set over on the A10 Network as soon as the link is put up to get your answer. Right now they just have last weekend's links.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 10-16-2016 at 08:27 AM..
Old 10-16-2016, 03:17 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
VCU - Bruns - set 3

BeckysTXA - thanks for looking. If you can get the answer easily, I would still like to know.

If it was Bruns being off, it was quickly fixed. Her line against Davidson was
11 TA's, 7 K's, 1 E and a .545 percentage (best individual % on the team for the Davidson match)
Old 10-16-2016, 03:47 PM

I've been pretty impressed with Bruins as a whole this year. She is only a sophomore and didn't play a lot as a freshman - some but usually in clean up. She needs to work hard in the off season on her back row skills. All the OHs need to do that or risk losing playing time. But her hitting percentage for a young, first year starting OH is solid. And she is getting better at blocking as the team continues to work on that part of the game. She did make those 5 errors in a short period of time against VCU. One of those was a block. If the link comes up on the a10 site, I'll try to look at it. Looking closer, I saw that not every match is archived.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:26 PM
1st Lieutenant

UDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really nice
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
I've been pretty impressed with Bruins as a whole this year. She is only a sophomore and didn't play a lot as a freshman - some but usually in clean up. She needs to work hard in the off season on her back row skills. All the OHs need to do that or risk losing playing time. But her hitting percentage for a young, first year starting OH is solid. And she is getting better at blocking as the team continues to work on that part of the game. She did make those 5 errors in a short period of time against VCU. One of those was a block. If the link comes up on the a10 site, I'll try to look at it. Looking closer, I saw that not every match is archived.
And her attitude is always great. Good energy, good swing, good pace. Fun kid to watch.