Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-30-2023, 03:56 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
Obi doesn't play the last 10 minutes, while the Heat dominate the Knicks and win by 10. Thibs clearly HATES Obi and his fans.
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2023, 04:13 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,459 Times in 777 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The Heat only won the 4th quarter by 1. Their domination of the Knicks was in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Hyde Park Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-01-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 04:34 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,916 Times in 6,997 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Obi got fried 3X in the 3rd quarter on court length passes over his head after losing his assignment/man. This was the turning point of the momentum/game.
Alberto Strasse (05-01-2023), Flyer 86 (05-01-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 04:55 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,619 Times in 5,098 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Obi got fried 3X in the 3rd quarter on court length passes over his head after losing his assignment/man. This was the turning point of the momentum/game.
Was that his man? I thought he was guarding Love at that point in the game.
Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan67 (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 05:03 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,110 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
Obi was the only Knick actually playing defense. The loss is on Thibs, as usual. Obi was also the only Knick hitting 3’s. When it became obvious at about the 7-8 minute mark in the 4th quarter that Miami was pulling away…why not put Obi back in for 3 or 4 minutes? Oh well, for as bad as Obi allegedly played, his +/- was a neutral “0” - better than almost all the other Knick players
Old 04-30-2023, 05:54 PM

Thanked 1,319 Times in 686 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
On the first deep pass, Brunson and Hart were back, Max Strus made the shot. Obi was on Love, who threw the deep pass. Not his fault. On the 2nd one, Butler was the deep man, and he came from the opposite side of the court. Obi sprinted back, but that wasn't his guy. Was he supposed to get back sooner? Can't answer that, but he was sprinting before Love threw the ball, Butler just had a huge lead from the opposite side of the court. On the third one, Obi was back, but the pass went just over his hands, Butler caught it and made the shot. I'll put that one on Obi since he was there. The first one, no way was his fault, and not really his fault on the second one either.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-01-2023), Flyer Dave (05-01-2023), Radar (05-01-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 07:20 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
Knicks need Randle. Obi comes down court and heads directly for corner. Guards ran plays away from his corner but he remained there. When shot went up, even though no one was guarding him on offensive end, he headed down court instead of crashing the offensive rim and contending for offensive rebounds and put backs.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:24 PM
Major General

longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer68 View Post
Knicks need Randle. Obi comes down court and heads directly for corner. Guards ran plays away from his corner but he remained there. When shot went up, even though no one was guarding him on offensive end, he headed down court instead of crashing the offensive rim and contending for offensive rebounds and put backs.
This is what he’s been instructed to do by Thibideau
Old 04-30-2023, 08:45 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
4 of the 5 starters were negative, one was neutral and sat.
Old 04-30-2023, 09:37 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,413 Times in 2,485 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer68 View Post
Obi had a bunch of defensive rebounds in the first half. Ended the game with 8 boards - all defensive. So you are correct with your observation above, but missing he’s doing what the Coach has instructed in the offense. Who knows why.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-01-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 11:26 PM

TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
He goes to the corner because the Knicks offense is predicated on Brunson, Quickley, or Barrett taking the key shots, typically going 1:1 against their defender. At best, getting a screen but not for pick and roll purposes. All the other players fan out to spread the defense so that the key players can drive to the basket and attempt to take a shot. If the shot's not there, then they will look to pass it to a perimeter player to take a shot. I would include Randle in the above, but he and Obi don't play together.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-01-2023), Fudd (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 06:36 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,619 Times in 5,098 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I watched that whole game again, and was not disappointed by Obi defense. He is all over the place helping his teammates when they get beat. And he has the length and quickness to recover to his own man and contest shots. You see precious little of that type of help defense in the NBA.

Obi's strength is his movement on both offense and defense, IMO. He is a tireless mover. And in the open court, nobody accelerates like him or has his top speed. He has the best hands on the receiving end of alley oops that I have ever seen, and obviously gets up to the rim effortlessly and in-stride. He has his weaknesses in strength and ability to box out against a more powerful opponent. He needs some work on his one-on-one offensive "put it on the floor" game too.

Obi is a decent 3pt shooter, but I wish he was in an offense where he moves more. Standing in a corner for an open 3 is not Obi being put to best use. I'm happy that they have him streaking across the floor to place a pick on the ball handler's defender now, but if there was more motion in the Knicks offense, rather than a ton of isolation plays, it would favor Obi. And it is rare for a Knick to break down a defender and then look for a wide open Obi on the perimeter. They don't share the ball much, especially with Obi.

Last edited by Fudd; 05-01-2023 at 06:47 AM..
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-01-2023), Flyer Dave (05-01-2023), FlyingArrow (05-01-2023), Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-01-2023), longtimefan67 (05-01-2023), San Diego Flyer (05-01-2023), SeasonTicketFan (05-01-2023), superfan99 (05-01-2023), TXFlyerFan (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 08:56 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
The issue I had with Thibs yesterday was he pulled Obi down the stretch in the 4th when they needed to score points. Obi lead the team in 3 pt percentage at 36.4% and had made his last attempt. The team shot 20.6% from the 3. 11 of Obi’s 15 shots were from 3. Aside from we all think that is a waste of his real talents, he was still the hot hand from 3 but apparently Thibs didn’t think they needed to make up points in the 4th. He also went 3-4 with his other attempts. And had 8 rebounds. Everyone who had more, played more minutes. And as documented in several posts above, he was going all out on defense. He doesn’t take plays off.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (05-01-2023), FlyingArrow (05-01-2023), Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-01-2023), longtimefan67 (05-01-2023), San Diego Flyer (05-01-2023), TXFlyerFan (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 10:56 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,088 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
As for some of you who point out some of Obi's weaknesses or for that matter what Thibs think are his weaknesses I only have one ginormous comment:

Obi is about to make over $6Mil next year (IIRC). When I was working I had a few bosses (OK maybe all of them ) who would describe my many weaknesses without fail and NOT ONCE did I make anywhere near as much!

Old 05-01-2023, 11:16 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
As for some of you who point out some of Obi's weaknesses or for that matter what Thibs think are his weaknesses I only have one ginormous comment:

Obi is about to make over $6Mil next year (IIRC). When I was working I had a few bosses (OK maybe all of them ) who would describe my many weaknesses without fail and NOT ONCE did I make anywhere near as much!

I'll acknowledge he's well paid for the role he's been given. The prevailing sentiment from Obi detractors (you can put Thibideau in this category) - is that Obi's defense is what keeps him off the court. Yet, defense statistics provided in this thread as well as other places actually infer quite a different story (nearly elite defense). Whatever "camp" you're in, one thing is certain: Thibs doesn't respect Obi for whatever "reason" he provides. Maybe he's defending the contract decision given to Randle, I dunno. The Knicks are a more fluid team offensively when Obi's on the court. For those of you saying that Obi doesn't drive or have a more versatile offense; he's doing EXACTLY what he's being told to do. Could he do more? Yes. I have no idea what is going on with the coach here but a glaring comment that I found amusing just prior to the game was Thibideau confessing that he had "no idea" how good Jimmy Butler was going to be (Thibs famously coached Butler at Chicago) : https://nypost.com/2023/04/29/tom-th...s-heat-series/

This tells me all I need to know about Thib's stubborness.
Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 11:34 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,945 Times in 2,942 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
I'm beginning to see a trend in Thibs' usage of Obi in the post-season when Randle is out. Obi gets the starting nod and plays the entire 1Q, plays 4-5 minutes in the 2Q and then sits, never to return in the 1H. When Randle starts he typically plays most if not all of the 1Q, then Obi would come in for 6 minutes and Randle would return to finish the half. Same deal in the 2H. The difference is that #1 is not out there for the critical minutes at the end of each half. That has to change.
Old 05-01-2023, 01:06 PM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
When the announcers said the 2/3 of Obis shots were from 3 this year, I was dumbfounded. Talk about playing a player out of position.

That is the equivalent of having Steph Curry only take shots in the paint. Like having Tom Brady only kick field goals.

Credit Thibs for getting the Knicks to the playoffs and advancing a round. But it seems that with all that talent the team could be better. Brunson is likely to burn out due to the heavy minutes and heavy burden as the series goes on.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (05-02-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 02:22 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Unless Thibs told Obi to guard three guys (not out of the realm of possibility) you are incorrect. In the halfcourt Love was Obi's assignment. Love threw the passes. Obi was the only player recognizing the cherry pickers and busted it trying to stop them. But Thibs looks at the salary sheet and benches Obi. :/
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 04:09 PM
Staff Writer

Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Randle, Brunson questionable for NYK, as is Jimmy Butler for Miami in game 2:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/05/...or-game-2.html

Obi should get the start again. Hopefully Thibs alters the substitution pattern to have #1 on the floor for the end of the 1st half and 4th quarter.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:19 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,014 Times in 501 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Unless Thibs told Obi to guard three guys (not out of the realm of possibility) you are incorrect. In the halfcourt Love was Obi's assignment. Love threw the passes. Obi was the only player recognizing the cherry pickers and busted it trying to stop them. But Thibs looks at the salary sheet and benches Obi. :/
It is hard to say who is definitively guarding whom on a single play with switches and stuff. I do credit Obi for being the only one making any effort to get back. On the one that just went over his hand, I though Butler pretty clearly pushed him. You could see the expression on Obi's face as Jimmy was going in to score.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post

Obi should get the start again. Hopefully Thibs alters the substitution pattern to have #1 on the floor for the end of the 1st half and 4th quarter.
Someone posted earlier Thibs would over-use Brunson and he would run out of steam before long. Here we go…it didn’t take long. This is Thibs’ MO.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:53 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future

Butler ruled out for tonight. Other injury updates forthcoming.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2023, 07:09 PM
Staff Writer

Old 05-02-2023, 07:37 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Obi time! He’ll show and prove yet again, but will it be appreciated?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2023, 07:46 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ready Action View Post
Obi time! He’ll show and prove yet again, but will it be appreciated?
Posted via Mobile Device
Not yet. Randle started. Barring a Randle injury, that means Obi 1 will see about 12-14 minutes tonight, mostly standing in the corner (like an ill-behaved toddler). In fact, I’m not sure I see him on the bench.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2023, 08:20 PM
Staff Writer

Obi entered with about a minute to go in the 1Q. He airballed a corner three. Then he did it again. In 6 measly minutes he did not score and was -6.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:47 PM
Colonel

Obi entered with about a minute to go in the 1Q. He airballed a corner three. Then he did it again. In 6 measly minutes he did not score and was -6.
He went to the bench visibly frustrated; hopefully with self and not other factors. He’ll recover in the second half.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2023, 09:08 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,510 Times in 825 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
He went to the bench visibly frustrated; hopefully with self and not other factors. He’ll recover in the second half.
Posted via Mobile Device
If he plays.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:25 PM
Staff Writer

New York Basketball
@NBA_NewYork

“I don’t care if you shoot 12 threes. Whenever you’re open, shoot the ball. Play your game”

— Mic’d up Josh Hart to Obi Toppin

https://twitter.com/NBA_NewYork/stat...58790795436035
Old 05-02-2023, 09:35 PM
Staff Writer

Obi exits after 10 total minutes having never touched the ball in the 2H except for the one rebound he grabbed.
Old 05-02-2023, 10:15 PM
Lieutenant General

FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
I hope Obi gets a huge offer sheet from someone, and that NY doesn't match.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-03-2023), longtimefan67 (05-02-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 02:56 PM
Colonel

Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
I hope Obi gets a huge offer sheet from someone, and that NY doesn't match.
I just hope he gets to play somewhere, he seems to be doing OK from a money standpoint thus far. I watched the Lakers-Warriors game last night after the Knicks game and I found myself thinking that Andrew Wiggins is a great example of the player I think Obi could be. Leave him open on the outside and you will pay for it but he can also back you down in the post. He gets rebounds and makes hustle plays.

The difference is that Obi gets stuck in the corner and never gets touches anywhere else unless it is a lob at the rim. Some have commented that it seems like the plays get run away from Obi's side. Alot of those are clearouts and Obi being in the corner makes some sense because you are taking a big out of the paint so somebody can go one on one. That can't be every play though and Obi's talents are severely wasted. I hope he is still working on his other skills even though he has basically become a 6'10" Craig Hodges, (in role, not shooting percentage).

Last edited by Flyers98; 05-03-2023 at 03:02 PM..
Old 05-06-2023, 04:43 PM
Staff Writer

More of the same for Obi this afternoon. Only 5 1H minutes: 0-1 on 3 PFG, 1 TO, 2 PF and a -8 for his trouble.
Old 05-06-2023, 05:12 PM
Lieutenant General

More of the same for Obi this afternoon. Only 5 1H minutes: 0-1 on 3 PFG, 1 TO, 2 PF and a -8 for his trouble.
Not good at all.
Old 05-06-2023, 05:16 PM
Brigadier General

Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Randall’s stellar 3-12 and 0-4 from 3 is really stellar.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2023, 05:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,722 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Painful to watch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2023, 05:37 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,722 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Getting chippy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2023, 06:34 PM
Staff Writer

Obi finished with 5 points on 2-6 shooting with 3 rebounds and an assist in 17 minutes in a NYK loss.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2023, 06:45 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
Randall’s stellar 3-12 and 0-4 from 3 is really stellar.
Posted via Mobile Device
And Thibs still had Randle in the game with a minute to go and the Knicks down by almost 20. Pure genius!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2023, 08:18 PM
Staff Writer

Obi got 6 2Q minutes and shot 2-4 good for 4 points to go with 1 board.
Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (05-08-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 09:28 PM
Staff Writer

FINALLY! Thibs changes his rotation...and has Randle start the 4Q instead of Obi.

WTF?

Josh Hart picks up his 5th PF...and is replaced by Grimes!

Ping me when Obi gets in the game...I'm done with Thibs.

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 05-08-2023 at 09:36 PM..
Old 05-08-2023, 09:55 PM
Colonel

Desperate times call for something. Within most organizations coach dude would be coaching for his life, buuuuuut he is safe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2023, 10:24 PM
General

Thanked 3,923 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Do they ever play Randle and Obi together?
Old 05-08-2023, 11:15 PM
General of the Air Force

Desperate times call for something. Within most organizations coach dude would be coaching for his life, buuuuuut he is safe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thibs is coaching as if he has a job for life, not as if he’s coaching for his life. I’ll give you that Obi’s +/- was pretty bad tonight, but HE WAS ONLY IN THE GAME FOR 6 MINUTES!!! How in the he!! is ANYONE supposed to make any kind of contribution in 6 MINUTES?!?!

It’s simple: Obi needs to get away from Thibs, by any means necessary and legal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2023, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Do they ever play Randle and Obi together?
In game 3, Randle and Obi played together for much of the 4th quarter in the Knicks loss. A very rare occurrence.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 09:44 AM
Colonel

"Heat’s Erik Spoelstra ‘putting on a clinic’ against Tom Thibodeau, Knicks"

"Thibodeau has always been stubborn in sticking with his favorites."

"The Knicks’ offense has never been terribly imaginative, but Julius Randle’s isolations against Adebayo got shut down and Thibodeau had no answers."

https://nypost.com/2023/05/09/erik-s...ce=parsely-api
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Ready Action For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (05-09-2023), longtimefan (05-09-2023), rollo (05-09-2023), TXFlyerFan (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 12:06 PM

The 4th quarter was pathetic. I think the Knicks started 1-9. Didn’t matter where the shot came from…it would not go in. I think they did finally hit one or two 3s. But you’re behind 7-11 points all quarter…you need some 3s. And then the defensive rebounding. Multiple times the Heat got 3-4 offensive rebounds/2nd chances in an offensive possession. It just kept happening over and over. I eventually just starting laughing because the Knicks either could not get a defensive rebound or they get the ball and commit a turnover like stepping out of bounds.

Brunson is either playing hurt (ankle) or running out of steam because Thibs is know for running his star players in the ground with too many minutes, especially before the playoffs start, so they run out of gas during the playoffs.

Obi’s playing time in Game 5 will be very interesting. The good thing is, when he’s gotten minutes, he has played well against playoff teams. Pair that with his end-of-season games the last two years and I will be shocked if several teams don’t come knocking - hopefully with contracts the Knicks won’t match. He also has an exceptional work ethic. He can point to his improved 3 point shooting and my guess is he will be adding defensive improvements this off-season. That will probably be a lot of video study time as well as continuing to work his shot.
rollo (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 02:00 PM
General

Thanked 4,345 Times in 2,136 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Players wearing down by seasons end and fizzling out in the playoffs? that is what Thibs does.
Old 05-10-2023, 07:25 PM
Colonel

Randle named named third team All-NBA. Toppin will have a great game in the Garden this evening as I guarantee it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2023, 07:52 PM
General of the Air Force

Randle named named third team All-NBA. Toppin will have a great game in the Garden this evening as I guarantee it!
Posted via Mobile Device
If you’d like to put some money on that, I’ll bet he won’t. Thibs won’t allow Obi the chance to have a great game. He’s a coach who would rather go down on a sinking ship than patch the holes in the hull.

Obi won’t get more than 14 minutes tonight (win or lose), and he won’t attempt more than 8 shots. You heard it here.

And, FWIW, Heat is up 18-12 with 2:30 to go in Q1 in MSG. And no Obi sightings yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by T-Bone 84; 05-10-2023 at 07:55 PM..
Old 05-10-2023, 08:00 PM
Colonel

Thibs knows role players alway play better at home during the playoffs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2023, 08:04 PM
General of the Air Force

Yet Obi hasn’t set foot on the court yet, Randle is 1-7 from the field, the Knicks are down 10 at home at the Q1/Q2 break, and Thibs looks constipated.

Edit: Obi in to start Q2.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by T-Bone 84; 05-10-2023 at 08:07 PM..
Old 05-10-2023, 08:13 PM
Staff Writer

Obi helping to lead the NYK back from what was a 10 point deficit. This helped:

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...Cxiabh8vwtAAAA

He gets 9 minutes, goes 1-2 for 2 points but snares 5 rebounds and was +12...and Knicks are now up 2.

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 05-10-2023 at 08:31 PM..
Old 05-10-2023, 08:29 PM
General of the Air Force

Obi’s +12 in 8-1/2 minutes. We’ll see how the Knicks do now that Randle has checked back in to close-out Q2 (with the Knicks up 2).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2023, 08:35 PM
Colonel

Brunson is the dude, but imagine if he’d trust his teammates a tad more especially the so-called second team/role players.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2023, 09:27 PM
Staff Writer

Thibs is 2-7 in elimination games. Obi back in to start the 4Q. Obi grabbed a key board but then had a TO. He then missed a triple. And Obi is done after 12 total minutes with 2 points and 6 rebounds.

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 05-10-2023 at 09:38 PM..
Old 05-10-2023, 10:24 PM
General of the Air Force

Thibs is 2-7 in elimination games. Obi back in to start the 4Q. Obi grabbed a key board but then had a TO. He then missed a triple. And Obi is done after 12 total minutes with 2 points and 6 rebounds.
I remember someone saying he wouldn’t see more than 14 minutes of action tonight, and would hoist a minimum number of shots. Looks like I know Thibs pretty well. And if I know Thibs pretty well, you can imagine how much of an open book he is to the NBA coaching fraternity. I bet the Heat win the series in 6 games or less.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2023, 10:54 PM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
I remember someone saying he wouldn’t see more than 14 minutes of action tonight, and would hoist a minimum number of shots. Looks like I know Thibs pretty well. And if I know Thibs pretty well, you can imagine how much of an open book he is to the NBA coaching fraternity. I bet the Heat win the series in 6 games or less.
Posted via Mobile Device
I bet 6 games or more.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:13 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
I bet 6 games or more.
At least we’re in agreement that Thibs will probably not coach the Knicks to the Eastern Conference Finals.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2023, 11:19 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
Thibs SUCKS!!! Free Obi!!
Mad Props to AZFlyer85 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 05:36 PM
Colonel

Tonight’s game is going to be ugly for the Knickerbockers. Thibs will ride his “horses” regardless of the situation to which Toppin will get little run regardless of how effective his play.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2023, 08:37 PM
Staff Writer

Obi went 2-3 on triples for 6 points to go with 2 boards and 1 dime in 7 1H minutes.

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...CzkbWlv_8tAAAA

https://twitter.com/TheKnicksWall/st...C-7c-7v_8tAAAA
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2023, 09:02 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,619 Times in 2,468 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Enjoyed the half-time verbal beatdown of Thibs/Randle by the commentators.
Old 05-12-2023, 10:02 PM
Colonel

The Knicks per the great Nick Van “Excellent”…1,2,3.. CANCUN!!! The good is an offseason decision will be made regarding Randle/Toppin. Godspeed to ya in this thread during looooooong offseason ride listening to Stephen A.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Ready Action; 05-13-2023 at 06:41 AM..
Old 05-12-2023, 10:28 PM
Staff Writer

Obi’s season ends with a line in the boxscore reading 12 minutes, 7 points , 3 rebounds and an assist.

Wait ‘til next year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Glen Clark (05-12-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 12:12 AM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
https://twitter.com/deanjoannou/stat...jIALIbqs-3-8xg
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-13-2023), San Diego Flyer (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 06:40 AM
Colonel

Yep the Randle experiment is more than likely over in New York as it does not seem he nor the Knicks are happy with the current situation. The team needs to build around Brunson and Barrett. I can see the Knicks trading Randle and Toppin and drafting their replacements.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2023, 07:12 AM
General of the Air Force

Don’t hold back, Stephen A. Tell us what you really think!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2023, 07:23 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Don’t hold back, Stephen A. Tell us what you really think!
Posted via Mobile Device
He did. http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/37631052
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2023, 08:36 AM

Thanked 15,916 Times in 6,997 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
For you +/- supporters, Obi was a -7 and they lost by 4. Randall was a +3…Thibs should have kept Obi on the bench all game.

Further proof the +/- is worthless can be seen in the Golden State v Lakers box score. Kerr obviously should have benched his starting 5 midway thru the 1st quarter. The entire GS starting lineup was - and the entire bench was +. What more proof do you need?!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2023, 09:03 AM

SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
For you +/- supporters, Obi was a -7 and they lost by 4. Randall was a +3…Thibs should have kept Obi on the bench all game.

Further proof the +/- is worthless can be seen in the Golden State v Lakers box score. Kerr obviously should have benched his starting 5 midway thru the 1st quarter. The entire GS starting lineup was - and the entire bench was +. What more proof do you need?!
Posted via Mobile Device
Math fallacy here. In a short duration, the +- is not a true measure. It is like saying a golfer has par on the first hole therefore, they should par the next 17 holes. Over the long run is where you +- becomes more relevant. Not short bursts. Look at Obis +- for the year. Much more meaningful.

Behind every stat is a story. Not the stat alone. Obi played against 2nd teams mostly. When his unit was on the floor most of the year, they showed better +-. He did not have starters playing with him either.

I don't make +- everything or simply blow it off. It is telling an important stat that should be analyzed deeper. Not just the "stat alone" to make an argument one way or another.
Old 05-13-2023, 09:29 AM
Brigadier General

Stats are just indicators. There are other factors that have to be considered. +/- is a traditional hockey stat. As a general rule, it’s used with forwards as an indicator of who is and who isn’t playing both ends of the ice. Coaches use it as a sword against scorers. It also can guide coaches in deciding lines. In basketball, it has similar relevance. The big man who doesn’t get back or the guard who always leaks out may have a poor +/-. Regardless, it reflects who is on the court with you as well. It can be useful, but, again, it’s just an indicator.

Update: I just looked up an example of this in hockey. Joe Pavelski has the 4th best +/- in the NHL, and the best +/- for a center. Connor McDavid led the NHL in scoring this year and is a center. His nickname is McJesus. He’s good. He had 151 points to Pavelski’s 77. Ain’t nobody gonna take Pavelski over McJesus!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Hyde Park Flyer; 05-13-2023 at 09:53 AM..
Old 05-13-2023, 09:56 AM

Thanked 10,181 Times in 5,906 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Swampy, time to change the title of this thread to "Year 3 Was Not the Charm"
Old 05-13-2023, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Swampy, time to change the title of this thread to "Year 3 Was Not the Charm"
I’ve been thinking this for about 2 months and I suggested the thread title. Then after his injury recovery and when he got a chance to play when Randle was injured, I think he has shown more than enough to garner interest for a trade or high offer sheet.

Certainly not what I envisioned last fall, but if he can get moved or Randle gets traded - Which a lot of fans have been calling for, for 2 years and now commentators are joining those opinions and calling for playing Obi more -maybe…just maybe this season turns into a charm after all.

Let’s hope it does. I’ll also add, I think Obi is ready to leave NY and the Knicks as a career move. I’m not sure that was the case until the last month or so. Total speculation, but after he played so well at the end of the last 2 seasons and then again in the playoff games he started…I think he wants his time and a shot at being a major player for his team. Just like his social media post as soon as his red-shirt season ended…that night he posted something like “It was finally his time”. And, it sure as heck was. We all got to enjoy the ride with him.
jack72 (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 01:22 PM
Colonel

https://nypost.com/2023/05/13/knicks...ars-to-pursue/

“Like Quickley, Toppin is eligible for an extension this summer, but it seems unlikely he will receive one.
His improvement this season was marginal.”

“He could be part of a trade package as illustrated above, but as long as Randle is here, his role as a Knick will be limited. His best opportunity feels like it will come elsewhere. His best opportunity feels like it will come elsewhere.”
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2023, 01:53 PM
Lieutenant General

There was a play last night where Obi called his own number. Got the rebound and drove to the rim. Got fouled. Seems like the only way he gets to shoot.
Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-14-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 01:54 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
I thought the Knicks already picked up his extension for 6.8M.
Old 05-13-2023, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
So did I, but I’m not an NBA contract novice, let alone expert. But it was my understanding he signed a year 4 extension for the league dictated amount based on his draft position. If he gets an offer from another team for more…the Knicks can match it. But if they don’t, Obi can accept it and move to a new team.

It sounds logical, but I’m just working off bits and pieces I’ve heard/picked up.
Flyer 86 (05-14-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 03:08 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
For next year, yes. Rookie contract is 4 years. He's a restricted free agent for the following year.
Old 05-13-2023, 05:48 PM
General

Thanked 5,463 Times in 2,388 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute

Posted via Mobile Device

Of the 10 painful minutes of NBA postseason basketball I watched, he played like garbage.

So it tells me he didn't play all that well.

What did you expect me to say?
Old 05-31-2023, 08:50 AM
Colonel

Knicks to part ways with GM.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...gm-scott-perry

It will be interesting to see how the new GM values Toppins skills and role with the current team.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:40 AM

Knicks to part ways with GM.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...gm-scott-perry

It will be interesting to see how the new GM values Toppins skills and role with the current team.
I would expect nothing to change on that front. Still hope Obi gets traded this summer to a team that will use him for his strengths while continuing to help him improve in areas of weakness.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-31-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 12:14 PM
Academy Doolie

Ivan is a jewel in the roughIvan is a jewel in the roughIvan is a jewel in the rough
Just came across this......

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...4322573f&ei=36
Old 06-06-2023, 12:52 PM
Major General

Older post, sorry if it's been posted before. I like the comment also about Obi's time at Dayton: "The Dayton star averaged 20 points, 7.5 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game in his final season on what many considered the top offense in the country. Because of this, Toppin captured nearly every player of the year honor."

https://dailycampus.com/2023/03/30/c...0the%20process.
Old 06-20-2023, 05:31 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,198 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
It appears that Obi is voicing some discontent.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...9711607a&ei=15
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bill McPeek For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigudfan (06-20-2023), Bucketnight (06-21-2023), Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-21-2023), Runnin' Rebel (06-20-2023), steverino015 (06-21-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 10:00 PM
General of the Air Force

Should initiation of the “Fourth Year’s The Charm” thread wait until the start of the 2023-24 training camp, can we start it right after the draft, or should we wait for a trade that, at this point, should be inevitable?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2023, 10:39 PM
Staff Writer

Let's leave the naming of the 4th year thread up to MB poster BeckysTXA--she was the one that came up with the title for Obi's 3rd campaign.
Flyer 86 (06-20-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 12:16 AM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bill McPeek View Post
It appears that Obi is voicing some discontent.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...9711607a&ei=15
When an unnamed source has indicated a player is unhappy but hasn't voiced their discontent to avoid causing waves, you can pretty much count on the player has recently told the agent it's time you earn your 3%.

Good for him
Mad Props to Bucketnight For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 07:09 AM
General of the Air Force

Let's leave the naming of the 4th year thread up to MB poster BeckysTXA--she was the one that came up with the title for Obi's 3rd campaign.
I was merely noting that Obi’s 3rd year had come and gone, and that it was far from the “charm” that we had all hoped it would be. I was not trying to usurp anyone’s authority.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2023, 08:32 AM
Staff Writer

No problem T-Bone. I started the thread; she came up with the name. There’s no authority to usurp. As always if you want to start a thread go for it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2023, 07:56 PM
Colonel

zmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to behold
Audio from Obi and Thibs: https://twitter.com/letstalkknicks_/...khSgn2UaH_0Bgw

Good for him…He got jerked around for 3 years and he isn’t exactly young for being on a rookie contract. The fact this got leaked means he’s definitely being traded 🙏
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2023, 07:42 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,434 Times in 683 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zmz723 View Post
Audio from Obi and Thibs: https://twitter.com/letstalkknicks_/...khSgn2UaH_0Bgw

Good for him…He got jerked around for 3 years and he isn’t exactly young for being on a rookie contract. The fact this got leaked means he’s definitely being traded 🙏
Posted via Mobile Device
Have to wonder who leaked it. Wouldn't think this would help his trade value from the front office side of things. So was it Obi's camp or Thibs?
Old 06-22-2023, 03:19 PM
Colonel

The clock is ticking Knickerbockers, hurry up and do something.

https://nypost.com/2023/06/22/knicks...023-nba-draft/
Old 06-22-2023, 06:43 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
Have to wonder who leaked it. Wouldn't think this would help his trade value from the front office side of things. So was it Obi's camp or Thibs?
There’s no way to verify if that was even Obi let alone from even the last 20 years. Garbled audio? C’mon man
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2023, 09:11 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,198 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...rt/ar-AA1cUs0X
Old 06-23-2023, 08:30 AM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
UDFA Jacob Toppin signed with the Knicks right after the draft. So, at least for now, will join Obi as teammates in NY.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Old 06-23-2023, 08:32 AM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
With the Knicks signing Jacob Toppin to a contract it doesn’t sound like Obi Toppin is on his way out of the Knicks organization to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2023, 08:55 AM

Advice to Jacob.

1. Practice standing in the corner a lot.
2. Don't practice shooting any shots other than the 3-point shot.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (06-23-2023), Gazoo (06-23-2023), JimBo (06-23-2023), Marysville Flyer (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 10:20 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,753 Times in 795 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
Advice to Jacob.

Well this makes all the sense in the world. The Knicks have undeniably the best corner stander in the NBA. Why wouldn't you want to take a flyer on his brother?

Either that or Jacob was an accomplice in whatever dirty deed that was done to Thibs and this is payback and retribution time for Jacob.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:21 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
Advice to Jacob.

I have always had the feeling, and I could be 100% wrong that the front office feels differently about Obi than Thibbs does. Thibbs is the kind of coach who would make it clear before taking a job that he is the coach not the front office. So my uneducated assumption is that this may have been a fairly inexpensive gesture to let Obi know that he is still loved, (and they also pick up a potentially good player in the process).

None of that changes anything for Obi. Even if Thibbs were fired, he isn't going to start in lieu of Randall. He still needs to find a new home, (unless they trade Randall, which maybe isn't that crazy. He seems to me to be one of those players who is great but for one reason or another isn't going to lead you to the promised land).
Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (06-26-2023)