UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-19-2015, 08:48 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Boise State Musings

Too wired and drained to post last night.
First Four off to a great start. BYU Ole Miss game was entertaining. Hard to top it, but UD did

UD sealed their fate. They will never be allowed to play in the First Four again. Neutral court, Boise State wins. However....

Officiating was vey inconsistent. You can always iquestion individual calls, but they called one game in the paint and another outside the paint. After the game, a fan who sits right behind the bench heard Kyle Davis point to one official after his second foul and state "He has it in for us." It did appear that the refs were trying to not give the home court advantage early. They seemed to single out Davis and Sibert. Every one else was doing the same things.

To be fair, UD got some let em play breaks at the end of game.

First half might have been UDs worst offensive half of the year. They really struggled with Sibert on the bench and neither Davis a threat behind the arc. Teams key on Pierre now and bottle him up. He has to be frustrated. When, they collapse on Pierre, they make it easier for Pollard. They have decided Pierre is a bigger poison than Pollard.

Defense was OK, but gave up too many threes in the first half. Or last 10 minutes of first half.

Crowd which was loud at start of game was stunned

Half time, I was hoping an Ole Miss comeback was possible. Crowd which normally sits and waits for UD got vocal right away to start the second half. The blitzkrieg began and in four minutes UD was all the way back.

I am impressed with Boise because when UD punched them hard at the beginning of each half, they did not waiver. They stayed composed.

Great strategy all night. Each team worked on isolation a and weaknesses. Boise State would go after Sibert in the second half when he was in foul trouble. They collapsed their defense in the first half and forced UD to make threes. As a pure basketball fan, fun to watch the chess match.

In the second half, UD started to hit threes,Sciochie for two and Darrell finally. Game on. 72 shooting in second half versus 30 percent in first half. UD adjusted defense in the second half and really stymied Boise.

Crowd was Incredibly loud at the end of the game. Bodies flying and lots of contact under the rims.

Boise finally collapsed under pressure. They let Sibert wide open for the game winner with 30 seconds left. They brought the ball down, gave it to the wrong guy and took a wild bad shot. Foul and Pollard has every reaching for Pepto Bismol with his free throws.

I sat in the arena behind the very last play. I had a good look. 4 seconds left and Boise State player dribbles with back to the basket. Huh? Said he saw the double team. Then in desperation he tried to jump into Kyle. You will never get the beg foul at end of game.

I have seen too many snake bit UD losses in my life. Nice to see the ball bouncing the right way.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-19-2015), Bonziflyer (03-19-2015), Flyer 86 (03-19-2015), FlyerGuyer (03-19-2015), Smitty10 (03-19-2015), wes (03-19-2015)
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2015, 09:03 AM
Captain

Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
Question, those of you who watched on TV (I was at the Arena). Co-workers who watched on TV are having a discussion about "how dead the crowd looked on TV". I, on the other hand was there and let them know how loud it was. Also, a co-worker said the commentators kept saying the crowd was not a factor and that it wasn't until the last 10 minutes? Any ideas?
Old 03-19-2015, 09:07 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
sounded fairly loud thru my TV, to the point that you had to struggle to hear the announcers at times.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 09:11 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,355 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I don't really remember getting any "crowd" shots from the camera crew last night. Usually they do close ups of rabid fans when breaking or coming back from commercials. I don't remember that last night.

And with no student section -- you didn't see that. No band shots. No cheerleader shots. Also, I didn't see any signs -- which I think the NCAA doesn't allow in the gym????

Might have been the camera crew more than anything. They simply didn't capture that part of the event????
Old 03-19-2015, 09:14 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
I actually comment to my son lastnight that it seemed as if TruTV adjusted the crowd noise and crowd shots for TV to not make it appear to one sided. although they kept talking about it, i think they set the production up so that itdid not appear too bad. If that was a regular season broadcast where the network wants to show a good home court it would have been much different I think.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to AC91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-19-2015), Justin (03-19-2015), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 09:16 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,181 Times in 578 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
As far as I could see on my TV I thought the Arena was rocking
Old 03-19-2015, 09:22 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't seen anyone giving Siebert credit for his defense on the last play. He didn't overcommit to the double, but he gave aggressive help and blew up the rhythm of the play. Previous (less smart) versions of UD would have doubled and left a player wide open for the game winner.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-19-2015), jack72 (03-19-2015), Justin (03-19-2015), redbengal (03-19-2015), SeasonTicketFan (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 09:39 AM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I haven't seen anyone giving Siebert credit for his defense on the last play. He didn't overcommit to the double, but he gave aggressive help and blew up the rhythm of the play. Previous (less smart) versions of UD would have doubled and left a player wide open for the game winner.
Sibert has turned into an outstanding defender. Unlike a lot of players, he has learned how to use his immense athletic ability to become a defensive nemesis.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-19-2015), jack72 (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 09:39 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Absolutely right. He was hedging between the 2 players... I think the play that was called was expected to have a hard double on Marks which would've left non-descript big white guy open for a 3. But it didn't go down they way they thought.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:42 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,429 Times in 754 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
BSU followed the A10 revelation, which is to focus on Pierre. I'm sure that Providence will do the same. This puts more emphasis on Sibert and the Davis boys. I can't imagine that Sibert will have back to back games with foul trouble, so I'm encouraged about Friday. Go Flyers!
Old 03-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Question, those of you who watched on TV (I was at the Arena). Co-workers who watched on TV are having a discussion about "how dead the crowd looked on TV". I, on the other hand was there and let them know how loud it was. Also, a co-worker said the commentators kept saying the crowd was not a factor and that it wasn't until the last 10 minutes? Any ideas?

First half = Kinda weak

Second half = Rockin'
Old 03-19-2015, 10:50 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
I think the biggest play of the game outside of JS's game winner was DD stroking a big 3 at a key time....This could propel him and give him the confidence he needs because he will have to hit a couple of these if UD is going to beat the Friars..
Old 03-19-2015, 11:06 AM

Thanked 2,206 Times in 972 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
They brought the ball down, gave it to the wrong guy and took a wild bad shot.
I think this is the most under considered point.
Foul or no foul, great defense by Kyle, etc are all interesting discussions, but in reality, Boise didn't execute.
They had 33 seconds on the clock.
There best player doesn't touch the ball and they miss a bad shot which KP rebounded with 14 seconds remaining.
Still only down 1pt with 14 seconds left they fail to execute and are forced to call a desperation TO while trapped in the corner. 4 seconds remaining.
Finally, they inbound to their best player on a crowded sideline with no room to operate and end up with a desperation heave.
Yes, good defense caused some of that, but decent execution with 33 seconds to work likely would have changed the outcome of the game.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MrFlyerFanatic For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-19-2015), hawkoooo (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 11:09 AM

Thanked 10,128 Times in 5,864 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Big time threes by Bank Pollard, two by Scooch, Baby D and then Sibert. All were at crucial times.

The arena sounded very loud. First time a post game interview was sort of disrupted.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 11:15 AM
Captain

1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I think the biggest play of the game outside of JS's game winner was DD stroking a big 3 at a key time....This could propel him and give him the confidence he needs because he will have to hit a couple of these if UD is going to beat the Friars..
I thought the same thing about DD...maybe that one shot brings him out of his funk. Also, Jordan and Kyle played just 24 and 28 minutes, respectively due to fouls. Team is worn out but every minute of rest helps. Is Jordan's ankle ok???
Old 03-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
It was loud and people were on their feet chanting and singing Gooooo, Dayton Flyers any time the band played it. The thing is, BSU's defense kept the team off balance, so they never really got on a roll until the end. Also there were stretches where the momentum was all in BSU's favor so that kept us quiet. BSU fans made a lot of noise for their team during those stretches. I thought it was a great atmosphere.
Mad Props to The Gem For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 01:54 PM
Colonel

ChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to behold
The crowd was FAR louder in person than the sound that came through on TV. The TV broadcast definitely had the crowd noise dialed way back.
Mad Props to ChampCar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 02:29 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ChampCar View Post
The crowd was FAR louder in person than the sound that came through on TV. The TV broadcast definitely had the crowd noise dialed way back.
Agreed. Crowd noise was much more apparent on the radio call... Or the small bit I heard of it.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (03-19-2015)