User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-06-2017, 08:03 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Of course he's going to plead not guilty and when it's all over in the court system, you'll see why. Prediction, he gets off with a Disorderly Conduct and maybe underage drinking(could all be packaged as DO).

There's going to be no assault when it's all over. This is why you have an attorney. The argument can be made by the defense that they had no business putting him in a shared cell at that point in time knowing his state of mind. It won't go that far. This isn't the most serious of crimes. It probably happens multi times an evening, maybe not the exact actions, but some variation of them.

The criminal charges are the easy part. What the University will do and the humiliation of having these videos easily accessed by the public will be the real price he pays. Does he have the intestinal fortitude to take the time to go through the humiliation and embarrassment from the community and humbling himself and staying at UD(which if he does, I'm guessing they would take him back after some sort of suspension or one year expulsion) will be the real question.
Speaking for myself only, I would rather have the open scholly than a remorseful Sam Miller. The time for him to be remorseful was when the cops showed up. Yeah I know he was drunk but that and what came after is 100% his responsibility. He needs to get his life together and UD needs to move on. Not saying it is right or wrong but Sam's lack of production has to at least be a subconscious consideration.
Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-11-2017)
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2017, 08:05 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
So it appears that Sam has been convicted by the court of public opinion, as well as the court of UD Pride opinion. If I step back, and look at other recent cases involving a big UD basketball player with tight family ties to UD, we might get a hint of what may play out here.
IMHO Kav’s offenses were far more serious and he (and his family) chose to endure the public local humiliation and come back to UD to sort of right the wrong he did at UD. I think Sam will likely get no worse than what Kav’s did, provided he accepts his responsibility for his actions. Which in my mind seems pretty fair as this is his chance to grow and mature as a person…..
But with that said, you can never guess what these kangaroo student conduct courts will do….. I just hope it is done fairly.
Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyers98 (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Colonel

Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TerryK_67 View Post
So it appears that Sam has been convicted by the court of public opinion, as well as the court of UD Pride opinion. If I step back, and look at other recent cases involving a big UD basketball player with tight family ties to UD, we might get a hint of what may play out here.
IMHO Kav’s offenses were far more serious and he (and his family) chose to endure the public local humiliation and come back to UD to sort of right the wrong he did at UD. I think Sam will likely get no worse than what Kav’s did, provided he accepts his responsibility for his actions. Which in my mind seems pretty fair as this is his chance to grow and mature as a person…..
But with that said, you can never guess what these kangaroo student conduct courts will do….. I just hope it is done fairly.
I've formed an opinion based on the video(s) I saw because in my mind I can't think of any reasonable conclusion but that he was extremely intoxicated, causing a disturbance and struck a man in the face. At the end of the day, my opinion means nothing. Your point about Kavs is a very good one but video always makes any transgressions worse. You are 100% correct about the CoC hearings, we'll see what happens. Sometimes you look for a reason to give a kid a second chance, sometimes you look for an excuse to part ways. Who knows what all goes into that determination.

Last edited by Flyers98; 08-06-2017 at 10:27 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-11-2017), Gazoo (08-07-2017), MNFats (08-07-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
So it appears that Sam has been convicted by the court of public opinion, as well as the court of UD Pride opinion.
And the videos.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:49 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TMPH66 View Post
I believe his actions demand minimally he looses his scholarship.
Yep, and privileges on udpride should based on using the proper form of lose.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (08-06-2017), Glen Clark (08-10-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 02:23 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
I am not defending the Kav situation, what played out, or what actually occurred. How about the Pierre incident? Bottom line is in those two cases, they were investigated and in both cases it was found that no crime was committed. There were two sides to both of those stories, and while I am not defending one side or another, neither were arrested, charged, etc. Both were found to have violated UD's CoC standards.

In this case, there isn't another side to the story. The evidence is right before you. Regardless of "guilt" in the court of law, his actions are right there for everyone to see. Has anyone seen surveillance from inside the bar? No. We can't comment on his initial actions, but we sure as heck can form an opinion based on cruiser and jail video. His actions are unacceptable and there should be consequences. If you did this and your employer got a hold of the video, do you think you would still have a job? There will be a guilty charge somewhere on Miller's criminal history when this is all said and done. It may be reduced charges, but he will have a criminal conviction for a crime.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (08-07-2017), jack72 (08-07-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 03:56 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Possible adjudication in this one.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:07 AM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
And the videos.
And common sense.

Sorry - Sam must go - He is not a baby - or a kid. He is an adult - 20 years old - and made poor choices and then more poor choices and some more really poor choices. He embarrassed himself and the University. When a young MAN like Sam accepts that scholarship he is going to be held to a higher standard - but even at a lower standard any student should be booted for those activities. PERIOD!!!. You want to act like that go to a state school or Junior College. But not a private university. I am sick of people trying to defend these actions - really ??? Did you watch the video - read the reports - read the NATIONAL COVERAGE. Sorry - he must go - and if that is heartless - so be it. He insulted everyone one of us with his actions. At some point a Man has to face the music for said actions and it is clear what coach Grant needs to do here. (emoticon for the Boot inserted here).
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to podcast411 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (08-07-2017), Flyer 86 (08-11-2017), TMPH66 (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 08:00 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
As some have alluded to video changes everything. To break it down everything changed when video of the Ray Rice incident came to light. Ray Lewis' incidents, there were not any video evidence, so his career continued. Ray Rice, there was video and his career ended. When the video from Caddy's is released I think the few Miller supporters will have a change of heart. The evil eye in the sky does not lie.
Mad Props to Ready Action For This Totally Excellent Post:
224 (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
FYI ... Sam Miller is international ... see the below link to the UK Daily Mail online article. Wrongly or rightly video of the situation changes how Sam will be treated.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ight-jail.html
Mad Props to marco red eagle For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 12:29 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ready Action View Post
As some have alluded to video changes everything. To break it down everything changed when video of the Ray Rice incident came to light. Ray Lewis' incidents, there were not any video evidence, so his career continued. Ray Rice, there was video and his career ended. When the video from Caddy's is released I think the few Miller supporters will have a change of heart. The evil eye in the sky does not lie.
Hmmm...Joe Mixon remained a Sooner and now a Bengal. There was video.

There are examples pro and con...with and w/out video.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Hmmm...Joe Mixon remained a Sooner and now a Bengal. There was video.

There are examples pro and con...with and w/out video.
When these things happen, and there's video, the decisions about whether they are permitted to continue playing, often come down to how talented a player is. If the same video of Ray Rice came out when he was in his prime, someone would have been willing to sign him. Lucky for Joe Mixon, he is a good enough player that Oklahoma and the Bengals were willing to take the PR hit. The problem for Sam Miller is that he really hasn't shown himself to be all that great. If Dayton cuts ties, he's probably not going to have many suitors. If Xeyrius Williams was the star of these videos instead of Sam Miller and UD cut ties with him, he'd have some good teams willing to give him another chance. Guarantee it. Sam's going to have a much tougher time... good chance he'd have to go the junior college route like Devon and Jalen.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:20 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't believe the Mixon video came until well after the incident.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:32 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I don't believe the Mixon video came until well after the incident.
I believe Stoops and some others at Oklahoma had seen the video shortly after the incident, but yes, it didn't come out publicly until a couple years later. By that time, Oklahoma had already "punished" him by making him sit out a year (just redshirted him basically), and they chose to do nothing additional since it had already been "handled." Now, if Mixon had turned out to be a bust at Oklahoma, you have to think they might have just cut him loose when that video did finally come out. But as it turned out, he was really good, so the Bengals were happy to overlook it all and draft him.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:47 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I agree, it sure looks like that. Everything appears to stem from the excessive intoxication.

A number of folks on here do not seem to understand that when you are as drunk as Sam appeared to be, then you say and do things that you would not normally say or do.
If the only thing stopping your trigger from being flipped from upstanding citizen to uncontrollable psychopath is alcohol, please move to another country. It wasn't LSD, it was J&B.

Originally Posted by podcast411 View Post
And common sense.

Sorry - Sam must go - He is not a baby - or a kid. He is an adult - 20 years old - and made poor choices and then more poor choices and some more really poor choices. He embarrassed himself and the University. When a young MAN like Sam accepts that scholarship he is going to be held to a higher standard - but even at a lower standard any student should be booted for those activities. PERIOD!!!. You want to act like that go to a state school or Junior College. But not a private university. I am sick of people trying to defend these actions - really ??? Did you watch the video - read the reports - read the NATIONAL COVERAGE. Sorry - he must go - and if that is heartless - so be it. He insulted everyone one of us with his actions. At some point a Man has to face the music for said actions and it is clear what coach Grant needs to do here. (emoticon for the Boot inserted here).
One thing to consider: not only is the fan base watching. Not only is the rest of the team watching. Not only is the administration watching.

Recruits are watching.

Throw him out on his arse and watch recruits -- who know they're going to screw something up at some point -- shy away. Those of you who want immediate vigilante justice need to consider the whole picture.

"Mr. Grant, tell me how you handle a player who screws up REALLY bad."
"Well Mrs. Jones, I try to remember that these kids are under my watch, so I throw them out on their a**es so hard no school will ever even consider allowing them a chance at redemption. I publicly shame them and make sure all the dirty details are right out in the public eye."

NOPE.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Baloney. No kid is making their school choice on how soft Sam is treated. Certainly not anyone we want.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sid Louick (08-07-2017), TMPH66 (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
If the only thing stopping your trigger from being flipped from upstanding citizen to uncontrollable psychopath is alcohol, please move to another country. It wasn't LSD, it was J&B.

One thing to consider: not only is the fan base watching. Not only is the rest of the team watching. Not only is the administration watching.

Recruits are watching.

Throw him out on his arse and watch recruits -- who know they're going to screw something up at some point -- shy away. Those of you who want immediate vigilante justice need to consider the whole picture.

"Well Mrs. Jones, I try to remember that these kids are under my watch, so I throw them out on their a**es so hard no school will ever even consider allowing them a chance at redemption. I publicly shame them and make sure all the dirty details are right out in the public eye."

NOPE.
Oh BS - what about the mother or father of the recruit looking at this and going do I really want to send my kid to an alcohol infested den where any type of behavior is allowed and tolerated.

Per publicly shaming the kid - Sam took care of that all on his own - no help needed there at all. If you are going to be lax on discipline on current players for fear of scaring away other recruits - those are not the types of recruits you wanted in the first place.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to podcast411 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-11-2017), Flyers98 (08-07-2017), UDGutter2 (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 03:24 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
And common sense.

He's an adult you say. Why the underage drinking charge? Oh that's right, because 20 years old is not considered mature enough to handle drinking alcohol. I wonder why that is? Oh, maybe because they aren't mature enough to determine when to stop. And why is that a problem? Because too much alcohol will temporarily change the way the brain functions and unpredictable and unsociable and maybe violent behavior will take place.

He did one thing wrong that parlayed itself into many things wrong. He drank underage and subsequently drank too much. Not really uncommon and certainly not unforgivable. The fact the law considers him not mature enough to handle drinking alcohol actually means the "adult" argument has no merit in this situation.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 03:55 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Baloney. No kid is making their school choice on how soft Sam is treated. Certainly not anyone we want.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh BS - what about the mother or father of the recruit looking at this and going do I really want to send my kid to an alcohol infested den where any type of behavior is allowed and tolerated.

Per publicly shaming the kid - Sam took care of that all on his own - no help needed there at all. If you are going to be lax on discipline on current players for fear of scaring away other recruits - those are not the types of recruits you wanted in the first place.
Robert Montgomery Knight. Yes, players do know very well how coaches treat players both on the court and off the court. 18 year old kids make decisions for all kinds of stupid reasons might as well not give them a good one.

If some coach tells me (and shows me) they are all about discipline I'm happy to hear it. If they tell me that the first time my kid screws up s/he is off the team and he's going to publicly drag the kid's name through the mud in the process, that's just poor form. Not interested. Because then the coach is telling me it's all about his reputation.

The right thing to do is quietly dismiss Sam without fanfare, and then privately beat senseless the remaining players who played any role in it. "Sam's scholarship was not renewed" or "Sam is no longer participating in team activities, I will only comment on our current players" is the right answer.

Our you could mouth off publicly and act like a child, but that's on you for joining Sam in acting like a 20 year old instead of the adult in the room.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:15 PM
General

He's an adult you say. Why the underage drinking charge? Oh that's right, because 20 years old is not considered mature enough to handle drinking alcohol. I wonder why that is? Oh, maybe because they aren't mature enough to determine when to stop. And why is that a problem? Because too much alcohol will temporarily change the way the brain functions and unpredictable and unsociable and maybe violent behavior will take place.

He did one thing wrong that parlayed itself into many things wrong. He drank underage and subsequently drank too much. Not really uncommon and certainly not unforgivable. The fact the law considers him not mature enough to handle drinking alcohol actually means the "adult" argument has no merit in this situation.
Actually it has more to do with when an Englishman could become a knight. And 18 year olds driving across state lines to get booze.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/19437...rinking-age-21

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/15/health...age/index.html

Unless, of course, the brains of Europeans and Asians develop at different rates than Americans.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (08-08-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Bobby Knight had a alcohol problem with his own son who was on the team at the time.
Reasons why Sam Miller might be back. History: Norm Plummer and the Nate Green/Andy Metzler/Coby Turner incident.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:43 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Actually it has more to do with when an Englishman could become a knight. And 18 year olds driving across state lines to get booze.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/19437...rinking-age-21

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/15/health...age/index.html

Unless, of course, the brains of Europeans and Asians develop at different rates than Americans.
Why did 18 year olds have to drive across state lines to buy alcohol? Because in most states the legal age was 21. If the legal age was 18 nationally, this wouldn't be an issue right? As far the first part of Englishman becoming knights, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you posted this with tongue in cheek.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:44 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Furio View Post
Bobby Knight had a alcohol problem with his own son who was on the team at the time.
Reasons why Sam Miller might be back. History: Norm Plummer and the Nate Green/Andy Metzler/Coby Turner incident.
Did any of the foremtioned have videos on full display.

Don't think AG or the U will have to do anything as his family will pull him from the U and get help. Call it a transfer but it won't require any discipline or punishment as he will no longer be a student or part of the team
Old 08-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Did any of the foremtioned have videos on full display.

Don't think AG or the U will have to do anything as his family will pull him from the U and get help. Call it a transfer but it won't require any discipline or punishment as he will no longer be a student or part of the team
Does video make you more guilty?
Norm Plummer had 2 alcohol related arrests. Public intox and months later crashed his car and still wasn't dismissed till months later .
The charges in the Green/Metzler/Turner started out as felony assault and got pleaded down.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:52 PM
Major General

The right thing to do is quietly dismiss Sam without fanfare, and then privately beat senseless the remaining players who played any role in it.
Sam wasn't at a typical bar frequented by other UD students. He was up in Beavercreek. If he was at a bar near campus, there's probably a decent chance one of his teammates would have came up there and dragged him out of there. So I can see where coach might be mad at the other guys for NOT playing a role in this, and trying to get him out of there if they knew, but the fact that he was pretty far from campus suggests maybe he didn't want anyone else to know where he was.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:01 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Furio View Post
Does video make you more guilty?
That's a good question. A video sure adds clarity and changes some defense options.

And to the Sam/booze comments, who really knows what Sam took that night? His belligerence kind of speaks to a deeper issue. Like, was he taking a prescription drug for other issues concurrent with booze and/or.....
Old 08-07-2017, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Sam wasn't at a typical bar frequented by other UD students. He was up in Beavercreek. If he was at a bar near campus, there's probably a decent chance one of his teammates would have came up there and dragged him out of there. So I can see where coach might be mad at the other guys for NOT playing a role in this, and trying to get him out of there if they knew, but the fact that he was pretty far from campus suggests maybe he didn't want anyone else to know where he was.
You don't know that prior excursions away from campus had already polarized teammates to not care where he was drinking. The rest of the team are not babysitters.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:07 PM
Colonel

Once again, starting a fight with me over nothing. Nothing I said in my original post on the subject was meant as an insult toward you. You for some reason took it that way, I explained it wasn't and now you won't let it go. You my enemy, are the miserable one.

Same thing happened with the Bobby Knight/Archie Miller comparison. Please put me on ignore if you can't control your anger or at least until you've come to grips with the fact that I was right about Charles Choke.
I hope you are right. The fact that he keeps screaming Matej's name in the squad car makes me nervous that there may be another shoe.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:16 PM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Recruits are watching.

NOPE.
And Mr. Grant can walk into their living room and tell the parent..."I am trying to recruit high character kids. I expect high character kids. I expect them to behave on and off the court like high character kids."

Sorry Gazoo. If any parent or recruit wants a HC to treat a player with kid gloves and not hold them accountable, I don't want that player or player's parent a part of this program. As a coach and as an administrator, I wouldn't want players or player's parents being around my program if they don't expect to hold themselves to higher standards that UD can demand. This isn't a minor infraction.

Expectations go both ways. I have expectations of players and parents at a youth level, let alone if I were coaching a college program.

We aren't talking about a player who got a campus referral for hamming it up in the Ghetto one night. We aren't talking about a player who may or may not be attending classes properly. We aren't talking about a kid who made a kid mistake and put himself in a bad position. We are talking about a person who got bagged up, damaged property in a public place, put his hands on a bartender, repeatedly kicked a police car, verbally assaulted police while in a cruiser, disrespected the jail, assaulted a stranger, etc...

Grant can pull him into his office and tell him he is no longer a part of the team. He has a week to publicly pull himself out of school and publicly state he is withdrawing from UD for personal reasons. The whole "resign or be fired" situation applies. If he doesn't want to walk away after being given the chance, then he is removed from the team. If am one of the parents you speak of, I don't want my kid coming to a school that permits this type of behavior without severe consequences. I want my kid to be playing for someone who demands certain things. Allowing my kid to slide under your watch, by issuing soft handed discipline when my kid does something that warrants it, isn't the type of person I want to hand my kid off to for four years.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-11-2017), Lowd&ProUD (08-13-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 06:17 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
You don't know that prior excursions away from campus had already polarized teammates to not care where he was drinking. The rest of the team are not babysitters.
I have no idea if Sam is well liked on the team or if he generally hung with the other guys off the court. But word spreads pretty fast nowadays. If he was a Tim's causing that kind of trouble, someone in there probably texts someone they know who knows a few guys on the team. It's not the other guys jobs to be babysitters, but it's also definitely in there interest to look out for their teammates if they can. But the fact that he was up there in Beavercreek could very well be because he wanted to get away from those guys. Of course, there are a million other reasons he could have gone up there.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:27 PM

Has nothing to do where he was drinking. Would his actions been more accepted on campus? Hope not, but maybe. He was likely in Beavercreek since there isn't much of a nightlife on Brown St. in the middle of the summer. I wouldn't try reading into that.

Friends you go out with tend to look out for one another. Been there, done that. But there also comes a time where when those people fail to listen to what you are trying to tell them...and maybe the "babysitters" of the bunch weren't going to sink with the ship.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:30 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Flyers98 View Post
I hope you are right. The fact that he keeps screaming Matej's name in the squad car makes me nervous that there may be another shoe.
He wasn't screaming anything remotely close to Matej's name.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 06:34 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Has nothing to do where he was drinking. Would his actions been more accepted on campus? Hope not, but maybe.
Unacceptable anywhere. But if he was near campus, someone might have dragged him out of there before midnight. But yes, it does not matter at this point.
shocka43 (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 06:41 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
I keep checking for news he's been removed from the team. Sigh.

It was dumbass college highjinks if he didnt put his hands on a woman. But he did. He should be gone already.

Stop comparing Sam to Joe Mixon. Sam Miller shoved a female bartender who was simply doing her job. In Mixon's case, in the "official" account, Molitor shoved and slapped him. In the "unofficial" version she,

1. Spit on him
2. Slapped him
3. Shoved him
4. Called him an "N"

In the heat of the moment he made a massive,massive mistake. But walk in his shoes for a minute. Joe Mixon is going to end up being a good redemption story in my opinion. Joe Mixon made a mistake. Sam Miller is a petulant a$$hole. He's been a problem from Day 1.

He's needs kicked off the team

Last edited by BRob2Perryman3; 08-07-2017 at 06:55 PM..
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-11-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 06:49 PM
General

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
I keep checking for news he's been removed from the team. Sigh.

It was dumbass college highjinks if he didnt put his hands on a woman. But he did. He should be gone already.

Stop comparing Sam to Joe Mixon. Sam Miller shoved a female bartender who was simply doing her job. In Mixon's case, in the "official" account, Molitor shoved and slapped him. In reality she,

1. Spit on him
2. Slapped him
3. Shoved him
4. Called him an "N"

In the heat of the moment he made a massive,massive mistake. But walk in his shoes for a minute. Joe Mixon is going to end up being a good redemption story in my opinion. Joe Mixon made a mistake. Sam Miller is a petulant a$$hole. He's been a problem from Day 1.

He's needs kicked off the team
Not saying you're wrong, but how has he been a problem, behaviorally, from day 1? I haven't really heard anything like that. Doesn't mean it's not true, but just haven't heard that.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Major General

First I have heard of Sam being a prior problem. Joe Mixon had plenty of prior incidents and red flags before his incident. Pushing a woman doing her job unprovoked when you are out your mind drunk (Sam) vs slapping a woman in the face who provoked you while sober (Joe) are both really bad. But they are totally different situations. Agree there. Only real similarity is the presence of video.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:59 PM
Brigadier General

BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Not saying you're wrong, but how has he been a problem, behaviorally, from day 1? I haven't really heard anything like that. Doesn't mean it's not true, but just haven't heard that.

Ive heard from no less then 3 people that the issues started as soon as he stepped on campus. In a nutshell i believe he was on double secret probation and a team manager,player or coach had to know of his whereabouts at all times. I believe one or two people have covered this at length in this thread. I have no direct knowledge but a simple viewing of the video and multiple media sources its not hard to believe what i have heard
Old 08-07-2017, 07:02 PM

Until things happen in the public view, like this ordeal, many things wouldn't be observed by the average fan.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Brigadier General

I dont know enough about the Kavs situation, it was before my time on the board and i know enough that the Pierre railroad job, was just that, a railroad job.

All that said, im positive i no longer want Sam playing for the team i love.
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Dillomernda (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 07:15 PM
General

Until things happen in the public view, like this ordeal, many things wouldn't be observed by the average fan.
Oh, I realize that. I just figured that it would be at least a point of debate on this forum and I would've noticed prior to this incident.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:20 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Come on Smitty and others who claim they've never heard of any prior issues.....what part of the federal laws preventing universities from disclosing info on college students, as stated there are many who are connected one way or another to the U and athletic department who've had to deal with it from day one.

I'm not going to say it's bad parenting as they may have been very strich with him but then he gets a taste of freedom and presto, someone out of bounds.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:23 PM
General of the Air Force

Oh, I realize that. I just figured that it would be at least a point of debate on this forum and I would've noticed prior to this incident.
Why would you have known prior to this incident. Unless connected it's not discussed in public, especially a forum such as this.

As is always the case.we hope n pray it's not a pattern, but when it goes public like this did all bets are off.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:28 PM
General

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Why would you have known prior to this incident. Unless connected it's not discussed in public, especially a forum such as this.

As is always the case.we hope n pray it's not a pattern, but when it goes public like this did all bets are off.
There are usually hints. Again, not surprised that I didn't hear of it before this and wouldn't be surprised to have heard it. We've had heads up on players before they had incidents that went public.

Though, if this incident stood alone, my argument that he could still make amends and play again for UD still stands. If this is a bigger straw that broke the camel's back, I'm all for booting him out asap.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:45 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
He should have been dismissed after getting that stupid tattoo.
Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
This is an important time for AG to set the tone for the program. This is a very visible incident for Sam Miller, Coach Grant, and UD. The incident has been in the national press on Deadspin, MSN, CBS College Sports, ESPN among other media outlets. I think character is something that is important to the program and for the player to maintain. I think the one thing that needs to be embedded in the culture at UD is character. Flat out some coaches would not tolerate this type of incident. I know this is easy to dismiss (after all 18-21 year olds make mistakes), but this is what the great coaches seize and establish in their program. Like it or not Sam Miller decided to drive/taxi/Uber 20 miles away from campus to have some drinks when he was underage. He made that conscience decision. He's not of age and he didn't put the university or himself in the right position. That's a big problem Sam Miller wears the University of Dayton uniform. When I was student it bugged me "big time" when I saw the basketball players living it up in the Ghetto. Why? They were getting a full ride to play basketball, the sport I would dream of playing with their talent. As fans/Alumni we have right to demand more of our student athletes. In this case, almost every headline has "Dayton or UD". The University needs to establish a precedent that behavior like this will not be tolerated. It lessons our image as quality institution. Unlike other incidents in the past, we can't stand behind our private school status. This one is out in the public domain. My recommendation would be to dismiss him from the team and allow him to be a student. Get him help if needed for any underlying alcohol issue, and give him a release if that's not acceptable to him. After a year of probation he could come back if that scholarship is still available. Case close.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:23 PM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
So, count me in with those who think Sam needs to be gone. And into some therapy support.

But are there any details on who else from the team were with Sam that night? I'm not on a witch hunt here, but I think it's important to know who was, and who was not, involved as witnesses. Were there any extenuating circumstances pushing Sam over the edge? Or was it just all coming from inside an angry, troubled 20 year old?

And, yes, I've been too drunk a few times back in my days, but to do what Sam did would have taken a lot more frustration and rage than I was experiencing. Sam needs help. And he needs to be gone from the UD Flyers basketball team that we all love.
Mad Props to tirebiter For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 12:54 AM
Major

bigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud of
Wow. Alot of anger here over this embarrassing incident.

No doubt underage drinking and drunk and disorderly conduct amongst the most serious offences a student can make at the U of D. Certainly worthy of immediate expulsion.

Many of us here on the board never had a sip of alcohol whilst underage. Yes, for many of us, Ohio voters had endorsed a drinking age of 19 by a statewide ballot. But that was just before the feds had the wisdom to step in and protect us minors from the evils of alcohol and all of its vices.

We probably should just go ahead and retroactively expel many of those ghetto dwellers who dared to engage in drunk and disorderly conduct all those years ago. Being minors and as legally declared incompetents, unable to handle any type of alcohol per the law, does not mean that we should not have been treated as the responsible adult role models we should have been. Also, just because o the dumb **** we used to do was not on camera does not mean we should get away with it.

Now, though, we are all blessed with the wisdom needed to declare Mr. Miller unworthy of redemption.

Last edited by bigred; 08-08-2017 at 12:56 AM..
Old 08-08-2017, 01:27 AM
Major

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
Wow. Alot of anger here over this embarrassing incident.

No doubt underage drinking and drunk and disorderly conduct amongst the most serious offences a student can make at the U of D. Certainly worthy of immediate expulsion.

Many of us here on the board never had a sip of alcohol whilst underage. Yes, for many of us, Ohio voters had endorsed a drinking age of 19 by a statewide ballot. But that was just before the feds had the wisdom to step in and protect us minors from the evils of alcohol and all of its vices.

We probably should just go ahead and retroactively expel many of those ghetto dwellers who dared to engage in drunk and disorderly conduct all those years ago. Being minors and as legally declared incompetents, unable to handle any type of alcohol per the law, does not mean that we should not have been treated as the responsible adult role models we should have been. Also, just because o the dumb **** we used to do was not on camera does not mean we should get away with it.

Now, though, we are all blessed with the wisdom needed to declare Mr. Miller unworthy of redemption.
The number of people condoning under age drinking is ridiculous - no wonder Ohio has such a large problem with other drugs.

I see this over riding - kids will be kids attitude - well Sorry 18 and over is an adult - granted not old enough to drink - but old enough to kill for your country. And if you as an adult at 20 accept a scholarship you know the rules.

Those of you trying to condone underage drinking because it was something you did back in the 60's / 70's / 80's when the drinking age was lower and the world was different - loose sight of the changes in the world since then.

Substance abuse is that. It is not something that should be dismissed / condoned / coddled - And when it leads to events of last week - well then actions are needed.
Mad Props to podcast411 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TMPH66 (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 03:37 AM
General

The number of people condoning under age drinking is ridiculous - no wonder Ohio has such a large problem with other drugs.

I see this over riding - kids will be kids attitude - well Sorry 18 and over is an adult - granted not old enough to drink - but old enough to kill for your country. And if you as an adult at 20 accept a scholarship you know the rules.

Those of you trying to condone underage drinking because it was something you did back in the 60's / 70's / 80's when the drinking age was lower and the world was different - loose sight of the changes in the world since then.

Substance abuse is that. It is not something that should be dismissed / condoned / coddled - And when it leads to events of last week - well then actions are needed.
What in the heck is this big difference that makes the act of underage drinking worse today than it was in the 60s, 70s and 80s? Pray tell.

I think everyone on this thread has agreed that "actions are needed". Just because we don't agree with you on what those actions should be doesn't mean we are condoning it.

Oh, and as what was previously discussed in this thread, please learn how to spell the word "lose".

Last edited by Smitty10; 08-08-2017 at 03:39 AM..
Old 08-08-2017, 05:24 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

Why are people fatter today than they were in 60,70,80s? Maybe we should ban fast food for this national epidemic
Old 08-08-2017, 07:38 AM
Colonel

It's not like he got caught drinking in a bar and got a ticket. Go back and watch the videos and read the report.

Yes many of us drank before we were 21, some of us even got drunk. When I left for UD my dad told me "I'm not going to tell you not to drink, but if you do you are responsible for whatever the consequences are." For me that meant 20 hours of community service when I got caught drinking in my dorm by the RA. That's what the consequences are/ were when you get caught with a beer. When you cause a public disturbance, (allegedly) put your hands on a female bar tender, get into it with a bouncer, MF the cops, kick the door of the squad car, **** in a holding cell and slap your cellie in the face you are going to be treated harsher.

The alcohol may be an explanation for his behavior but it is certainly not an excuse. He owns the consequences of his actions and given the actions, those consequences look like they might be pretty tough.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
First I have heard of Sam being a prior problem. Joe Mixon had plenty of prior incidents and red flags before his incident. Pushing a woman doing her job unprovoked when you are out your mind drunk (Sam) vs slapping a woman in the face who provoked you while sober (Joe) are both really bad. But they are totally different situations. Agree there. Only real similarity is the presence of video.
Mixon's blow broke several bones. Dropped her instantly. Not a worthy comparison imo. If so the Sam's was the lighter offense, by far.. Light years..
Old 08-08-2017, 08:42 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and as what was previously discussed in this thread, please learn how to spell the word "lose".
Didn't see where he asked you to be considerate. I think you need to focus more on the word loose..
Old 08-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
This thread is:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 09:57 AM
General

Why did 18 year olds have to drive across state lines to buy alcohol? Because in most states the legal age was 21. If the legal age was 18 nationally, this wouldn't be an issue right? As far the first part of Englishman becoming knights, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you posted this with tongue in cheek.
21 is a purely arbitrary number, you said it was supported by science. (This is the part where you tell me you never said that, don't disappoint me.) It's not. 20 in Japan, 18 in Europe, etc. The only reason it's 21 is that some states had 18 and others 21 so 18-20 year olds were driving across state lines to get drunk and then driving home. Drunk driving plummeted after going to a national 21 limit, but only because 18-20 year olds weren't driving to bars anymore they were getting drunk at home. There's no scientific support for 21 I've been able to find, it's because there were still enough blue laws and old bitty's who wanted to round up to 21 instead of round down to 18 with the national law.

And Mr. Grant can walk into their living room and tell the parent..."I am trying to recruit high character kids. I expect high character kids. I expect them to behave on and off the court like high character kids."

Sorry Gazoo. If any parent or recruit wants a HC to treat a player with kid gloves and not hold them accountable, I don't want that player or player's parent a part of this program. As a coach and as an administrator, I wouldn't want players or player's parents being around my program if they don't expect to hold themselves to higher standards that UD can demand. This isn't a minor infraction.

Expectations go both ways. I have expectations of players and parents at a youth level, let alone if I were coaching a college program.

We aren't talking about a player who got a campus referral for hamming it up in the Ghetto one night. We aren't talking about a player who may or may not be attending classes properly. We aren't talking about a kid who made a kid mistake and put himself in a bad position. We are talking about a person who got bagged up, damaged property in a public place, put his hands on a bartender, repeatedly kicked a police car, verbally assaulted police while in a cruiser, disrespected the jail, assaulted a stranger, etc...

Grant can pull him into his office and tell him he is no longer a part of the team. He has a week to publicly pull himself out of school and publicly state he is withdrawing from UD for personal reasons. The whole "resign or be fired" situation applies. If he doesn't want to walk away after being given the chance, then he is removed from the team. If am one of the parents you speak of, I don't want my kid coming to a school that permits this type of behavior without severe consequences. I want my kid to be playing for someone who demands certain things. Allowing my kid to slide under your watch, by issuing soft handed discipline when my kid does something that warrants it, isn't the type of person I want to hand my kid off to for four years.
You missed my point, and by a very wide margin.

I want him kicked off the team. I would expect my own child to be kicked off the team. I want discipline and order and team cohesiveness. All I'm saying is that some people here want BLOOD. That's the wrong way to go. You can have discipline, cohesiveness, and order and also kick Sam off the team quietly and without making a big public spectacle / circus out of it. That's the part which is just for your own personal satisfaction. It does nothing for discipline, order, or team cohesiveness. Actually, while it might temporarily boost discipline, it will reduce team cohesiveness and create dissent over time.

Treating people badly is NEVER the right answer, even when they've done you wrong. There is zero reason to treat Sam badly.

You have to think tactically and strategically. Tactically making a big show of it might bring you some short term gains. But it's a strategic mistake. Same as making a big show of firing an employee who screwed up. You have to treat him with respect (that he does not deserve) and then talk to your other employees who want blood about the fact that you're showing him respect that he doesn't deserve. That engenders loyalty. You can't avoid dealing with the problem--that must happen. But do it the right way and with a purpose.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 10:10 AM
Major General

Judging from the sentiments expressed herein, it really seems like it could go either of two ways here.

A) Sam Miller gets kicked off the team; UD fans rejoice.

B) Sam Miller gets a slap on the wrist; UD fans protest decision by showing up to first game totally hammered with no pants on, then urinate on the concourse.
TXFlyerFan (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 10:28 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,413 Times in 670 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
I think he should be gone, but if I'm being honest it's mainly because he's not good at basketball and his scholarship could be better utilized and this is a good excuse.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (08-10-2017), Dillomernda (08-08-2017), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 10:58 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
I think he should be gone, but if I'm being honest it's mainly because he's not good at basketball and his scholarship could be better utilized and this is a good excuse.
This decision should have absolutely nothing to do with his basketball playing ability, and 100% based upon his actions both the night of his arrest as well as previous events he has or has not been involved in.

Now is the time for Anthony to set the ground rules for the program going forward, so that I do not have to join DallasFlyer and show up with no pants at the first game and urinate on the floor!
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 11:13 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
This decision should have absolutely nothing to do with his basketball playing ability, and 100% based upon his actions both the night of his arrest as well as previous events he has or has not been involved in.
The greater the talent, the lesser the moral outrage in situations like this.

The lesser the talent, the greater the moral outrage in situations like this.

If you produce on the court, you may just get away with more off it.

Collegiate sports is riddled with examples of coaches, administrators, local police, fans, everyone turning a blind eye to acts that are often criminal, heinous and morally reprehensible. See Penn State, Baylor, and many others.

Fandom, not unlike alcohol, can cloud judgement.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (08-08-2017), frisco flyer (08-08-2017), Jeff (08-08-2017), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (08-08-2017), rollo (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 11:19 AM
Brigadier General

Mod deleted my post. Censorship is very selective on this board. When someone pizzes in my Wheaties I just skip breakfast. See you at lunch, putz..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
PFlyer (08-08-2017), rollo (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Yep, and privileges on udpride should based on using the proper form of lose.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:54 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
David Jablonski‏Verified account @DavidPJablonski 3m3 minutes ago

From @WGarbeWHIO: Sam Miller’s pre-trial court date set in assault case

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...PUI3frAfi6djM/
Old 08-08-2017, 01:42 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,413 Times in 670 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post

Now is the time for Anthony to set the ground rules for the program going forward, so that I do not have to join DallasFlyer and show up with no pants at the first game and urinate on the floor!
It shouldn't have anything to do with ability, and my history probably reflects that I'm more likely to err on the side of punishing a talented player more than most. I just can't imagine this board would say that a Scoochie Smith should be kicked off of the team for this (I'd be hesitant), but with Sam it just seems like more trouble than it's worth.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:40 PM
Colonel

Collegiate sports is riddled with examples of coaches, administrators, local police, fans, everyone turning a blind eye to acts that are often criminal, heinous and morally reprehensible. See Penn State, Baylor, and many others.

May not be fair but this is reality. It is really easy to take the hard line with a kid if you also wouldn't mind freeing up his scholarship. Of course Sam put himself in this position and I think under the CoC there is more than enough justification to level any range of penalties.

Last edited by Flyers98; 08-08-2017 at 03:26 PM..
Old 08-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

FlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond repute
I'm really trying to not rush to judgement, or looking at this thru the lens of fandom. That said I cannot escape reaching the conclusion that if I had seen this behavior from any athlete at any university, I'd fully expect expulsion from the team (possible expulsion form the university) or a minimum of a one year suspension.

At a private Catholic University I'd expect no less.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:03 PM

You can have discipline, cohesiveness, and order and also kick Sam off the team quietly and without making a big public spectacle / circus out of it. That's the part which is just for your own personal satisfaction.
I haven't seen where anyone wants a spectacle made of this. Sam is the only one that created the spectacle. There is a difference with "setting tone" and "proving a point" with the team versus making a public display of him. I think we agree, but where we disagree is that fans want this kid beat up more than he already has. We don't.

My previous post goes with the "resign or be fired" idea of letting him save some face and get help. Possibly allowing him to play ball elsewhere after getting his house in order. That has nothing to do with AG or anyone else publicly embarrassing him any further. He did that himself. It is now time to set the tone with the team. It isn't going to be 100% private, as we all will know the final outcome.

No one in a position of authority over Sam's future should make a public mockery with him. That is below UD and professional conduct. Firm decisions can definitely be displayed, as the shareholders of UD expect UD to take a firm stance on things that hurt the reputation of the university and the program.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (08-08-2017), flyerfanatic86 (08-09-2017), HotSauce (08-08-2017), rollo (08-09-2017), wes (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 10:10 PM
General

Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute

Spot on, even in Daytonville

Big Bob: Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.

Last edited by Jeff; 08-08-2017 at 10:13 PM..
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 10:31 PM
General

21 is a purely arbitrary number, you said it was supported by science. (This is the part where you tell me you never said that, don't disappoint me.)[/B][/U].
LOL. You really are the biggest numbskull on this site. Instead of me denying that I said it was supported by science, can you please find it and quote it. Only if your definitions of mistakes and errors in judgement are scientific, then I'd say yes, comparable though, mine isn't my own opinion, it's what they base the law on, yours was strictly an opinion based on what Gazoo does wrong is an error in judgement, what others do wrong that Gazoo never has is unforgivable.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:14 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
LOL. You really are the biggest numbskull on this site. .
You have obviously not visited the off topic jibberish section of this website for awhile!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
number21 (08-13-2017), UDBaby (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 08:34 AM
General

I haven't seen where anyone wants a spectacle made of this. Sam is the only one that created the spectacle. There is a difference with "setting tone" and "proving a point" with the team versus making a public display of him. I think we agree, but where we disagree is that fans want this kid beat up more than he already has. We don't.

My previous post goes with the "resign or be fired" idea of letting him save some face and get help. Possibly allowing him to play ball elsewhere after getting his house in order. That has nothing to do with AG or anyone else publicly embarrassing him any further. He did that himself. It is now time to set the tone with the team. It isn't going to be 100% private, as we all will know the final outcome.

No one in a position of authority over Sam's future should make a public mockery with him. That is below UD and professional conduct. Firm decisions can definitely be displayed, as the shareholders of UD expect UD to take a firm stance on things that hurt the reputation of the university and the program.
If that's the case, then my comments should have been met with resounding agreement; quietly see him to the door and put on a public face that says "the kid made a mistake, we wish him the best." But they weren't.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:56 AM
General

Instead of me denying that I said it was supported by science, can you please find it and quote it.
He's an adult you say. Why the underage drinking charge? Oh that's right, because 20 years old is not considered mature enough to handle drinking alcohol. I wonder why that is? Oh, maybe because they aren't mature enough to determine when to stop.
"Not considered mature enough to handle drinking alcohol" . . . if not supported by science, what else would it be supported by?? Who is the "they" who does this serious consideration about legal drinking ages, and what do "they" base their serious consideration upon? Feelings?

It is not supported by science. 21 is an arbitrary number, not a number supported by science. Japan is 20, Europe is 18, other ages around the world. . . but it's arbitrary. Only 6% of the world's countries have 21 or higher as the legal drinking age. I guess the rest of the world's teenagers are more responsible. . . or we have better science-y people.

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.r...ourceID=004294

Illegal underage drinking = below 21 is not because he's "not considered mature enough to handle drinking alcohol" and it's not backed by science, it's backed by a desire to lower drunk driving accidents in a highly car-centric society. They picked the higher number (18 vs. 21) because of Bible-belt protestants.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Major General

"Not considered mature enough to handle drinking alcohol" . . . if not supported by science, what else would it be supported by?? Who is the "they" who does this serious consideration about legal drinking ages, and what do "they" base their serious consideration upon? Feelings?

It is not supported by science. 21 is an arbitrary number, not a number supported by science. Japan is 20, Europe is 18, other ages around the world. . . but it's arbitrary. Only 6% of the world's countries have 21 or higher as the legal drinking age. I guess the rest of the world's teenagers are more responsible. . . or we have better science-y people.

Illegal underage drinking = below 21 is not because he's "not considered mature enough to handle drinking alcohol" and it's not backed by science, it's backed by a desire to lower drunk driving accidents in a highly car-centric society. They picked the higher number (18 vs. 21) because of Bible-belt protestants.
I mean we probably don't need the FIGSTATS on this one, but the average minimum legal drinking age around the globe is just 15.9. The vast majority of countries have set the drinking age at 18. While there are a handful of Muslim nations that prohibit drinking all together, of those who permit it, nowhere has a higher drinking age than the USA. 21 is the highest number around the globe with 6% of countries as Gazoo states, enforcing that number as an arbitrary minimum.

In the US, the alcohol laws actually vary pretty widely state to state. All states prohibit the possession of alcohol by a minor, but not all actually prohibit consumption, and many offer various exceptions under which it can be consumed, most typically on private property and/or with family members present. Now, how you can consume alcohol without possessing it is pretty stupid though because even if someone poured the alcohol into your mouth, once it's in your body, you really have taken possession of it.

Anyway, as Gazoo says it's definitely not science that says 21. When you bring up maturity, there's both physical and mental aspects of it. Physically, the body needs to be mature enough to process alcohol, but you're plenty mature physically as a teenager. So those who would argue that 21 is a better drinking age than say 18.., usually argue this being due to mental maturation. But mental maturation requires learning. Wouldn't the best way to learn how to responsibly consume alcohol be to practice responsibly consuming it? By making the minimum age so high, most kids don't really get that chance. In some countries where alcohol is less taboo, kids routinely get a small glass of wine or perhaps a small pour of beer with dinner. With this, they are being taught to not overindulge.

Theoretically then, I think lowering or even abolishing the minimum drinking age makes sense. But realistically, it honestly probably wouldn't make a huge difference because it comes down to culture. The culture of binge drinking in America, particularly in colleges, is really ingrained, and I have to imagine it will continue to be this way, at least until there's another more fashionable vice to replace it.

Could that happen? Maybe. Ask Colorado.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:37 PM
General

Oh boy. Okay, again I didn't say it was supported by science and I will admit that I believe it isn't supported by science. But generally, that's the justification given for the law. For instance, there are justifications to keep marijuana illegal. One is it is a gateway to harder drugs. Well, nothing scientific supports this but that is some people's justification for keeping it illegal. I tend to believe that stats can be twisted to show this, however what stats don't cover is that people that smoke pot illegally have a tendency to not care about the law and will be more apt to try other illegal drugs. Have they checked where it's legal yet? In other words, where it's legal to smoke pot, is the percentage of pot smokers that do harder drugs as high(no pun intended)? I'm guessing not.

Now, again I'm going to admit that there's nothing scientific to state that a person at 21 is more able to handle liquor than a person that's 18. However, I believe it's an assumption that allows it to be law and probably true due to the fact that up to a large number, a person is more mature at an older age. But as I know you'll come back and say "then why not 25 or 30 or 35...?" You're right, in that case it's arbitrary. The real reason it's pushed is the more of the population it's illegal for, the more the justice system rakes in. Just like the real reason pot is mostly illegal is the pharma companies don't want to lose money to a cure or pain killer that causes less damage and can be made in your own home without any chemistry experience. And, the justice system rakes in money for it being illegal. And the alcohol industry certainly doesn't want the competition etc...

However, ask any lawmaker or politician why either is illegal, drinking under 2 or possession of marijuana, and they will give the standard non scientific reasons rather than the monetary ones.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
PFlyer (08-10-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
Why is a young man mature enough at 18 to join the armed services and be sent to places of conflict yet not be mature enough to purchase and drink alcohol at 18 and must wait till 21?
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer68 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (08-10-2017), Bonziflyer (08-09-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (08-09-2017), Figgie123 (08-09-2017), wes (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 03:45 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I am not so sure that age is much of a factor in getting so drunk that you **** on a holding cell floor and then get into a fight with your cell mate. If you do that, no matter what your age, you are not mature enough to drink alcohol.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (08-09-2017), Townie (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
CE80 - I highly agree.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:01 PM
Colonel

The evolution of topics on this thread is horribly beautiful.
Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (08-10-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 09:59 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
There, but for the grace of God, go I.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
mikeymo85 (08-10-2017), Radar (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 02:19 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know what the right answer is here and I'm glad I'm not the one making the decision. I trust the school will make the right move
Old 08-10-2017, 07:29 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

The evolution of topics on this thread is horribly beautiful.
I enjoy long, controversial threads.

Eventually Smitty begins to argue with himself!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (08-10-2017), TerryK_67 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 07:38 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I enjoy long, controversial threads.

Eventually Smitty begins to argue with himself!
I'd say it is contradiction. Not an argument.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Major General

Sam is kinda like that puppy who eats too many shoes. Then he pees on your carpet. Then he picks a fight at the dog park with a much tougher dog.

Except the puppy is a whole lot cuter.
redbengal (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 09:34 PM
General

Except the puppy is a whole lot cuter.

And quicker footwork!
Old 08-10-2017, 09:37 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Sam who?????
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2017, 04:58 PM
Major General

Dayton Flyers’ Sam Miller suspended for semester, won’t play this fall.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...mKwaL4zqAWkHP/
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (08-11-2017), OSU Flyer (08-11-2017), rollo (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 05:56 PM
General of the Air Force

lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
David Jablonski‏Verified account @DavidPJablonski 12m12 minutes ago
More
UD confirms that Sam Miller's scholarship has been revoked for the year. So one scholarship is open for the 2017-18 season.

Correct Move
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (08-11-2017), Runnin' Rebel (08-12-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 06:43 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Won't be shocked if we've seen the last of Sam Miller in a UD uniform. As others have said previously when overcomitting to recruits, these things have a way of working themselves out. Obviously not ideal, even though Sam wasn't a major factor. I hope he gets his life together.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 07:25 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
Won't be shocked if we've seen the last of Sam Miller in a UD uniform. As others have said previously when overcomitting to recruits, these things have a way of working themselves out. Obviously not ideal, even though Sam wasn't a major factor. I hope he gets his life together.
Sam ain't going anywhere as it should be. He'll either follow protocol and reaffirm his commitment to becoming a better student-athlete or he won't but the decision will be his and me thinks he'll be fine.
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
TerryK_67 (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 07:52 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Somebody go search that grad transfer list to see if there are any warm bodies still available who can help this year and use Sam's revoked scholarship.

I predict we have seen the last of Sam in a Dayton uniform unless he chooses to come back as a walkon. He simply isn't good enough to hold a scholarship for.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (08-11-2017), shocka43 (08-13-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 08:34 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
I should also add that this is a great example of the professional Friday evening news release by UD to create the least amount of attention possible!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Dillomernda (08-11-2017), Flyer 86 (08-11-2017), Gazoo (08-14-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 08:34 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
Somebody go search that grad transfer list to see if there are any warm bodies still available who can help this year and use Sam's revoked scholarship.
Go ahead and put Deontae Hawkins at the top of my list.

Not sure if we will use that scholarship, but there are a few guys out there.

I used this list to look at transfers listed as immediately eligible without a "New School":

Hawkins, Illinois State
Bryan Alberts, Gonzaga
Chuck Ester - UT - Chatt
Terrance Thompson, Marshall
Jack Whitman, W&M
Old 08-11-2017, 08:52 PM

Thanked 10,128 Times in 5,864 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post

I used this list to look at transfers listed as immediately eligible without a "New School":

Hawkins, Illinois State
Bryan Alberts, Gonzaga
Chuck Ester - UT - Chatt
Jack Whitman, W&M
Hawkins will probably end up with the Zags.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:28 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
Sam suspended for first semester. If he "behaves"
he might be accepted back by AG in '18
Old 08-11-2017, 09:53 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Wasn't around and never heard the story.
Can someone sum up the coby Turner/Metzger/Green incident for me?
Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
Sam suspended for first semester. If he "behaves"
he might be accepted back by AG in '18
That changed from suspended to ship being revoked
Mad Props to Atlantic 10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by MNFats View Post

Hawkins, Illinois State
Bryan Alberts, Gonzaga
Chuck Ester - UT - Chatt
Jack Whitman, W&M
http://www.espn929.com/articles/u-m-...eontae-hawkins
Mad Props to Furio For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (08-12-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 10:39 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
Wasn't around and never heard the story.
Can someone sum up the coby Turner/Metzger/Green incident for me?
http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/sp...3xmU3LhwfYq5N/
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Furio For This Totally Excellent Post:
mikeymo85 (08-12-2017), MNFats (08-12-2017), ruechalgrin (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 10:40 PM
General of the Air Force

Sam has been removed from UD's roster online
Old 08-11-2017, 11:55 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
So suspended for a semester and scholarship revoked for the year. Does that mean if he cleans up his act, he could be a walk-on for the second semester? Or is he really just going to be out for the year? I expect the latter and again, really expect he won't be back but I could be wrong.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:50 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Scholarship revoked for the year means to me that, if he decided to stay at UD, he would have to pay tuition etc. like other students for the entire year. Don't know his financial situation. I guess it matters what team does with his open scholarship.

If team fills his open spot immediately, then my advise might be, stay at UD, complete year of school, get your life in order, try and keep in shape and work on transfer to another basketball program elsewhere.

However, staying in school and on campus might be too embarrassing and humiliating. Then maybe it would be better to pull up stakes, get life in order for a year, stay in shape and try elsewhere. I wish him well but it is a tough road ahead at his age.

Kids just don't understand how, one event, whether positive or negative, can affect your whole life and the life of others forever. Having raised three kids, I have tried to explain that. So far so good, reasonably speaking.