Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-08-2019, 10:51 AM
1st Lieutenant

O Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I think it is a little more complicated than that. The first letter must be a vowel. Look for:

Abi, Ebi, Ubi and sometimes Ybi.
Originally Posted by Rick Scaia View Post
I vote for making it LESS complicated, actually.

Two syllables, ending in a long "eeeee" sound, and you will play like a boss once donning a Flyer uniform.

Next year, we'll have these guys all getting lots of minutes:

Obi
Ibi
Jordy
Rodney

And providing some back-up:

Jhery
Frankie

Somebody: figure out how to get one more year of eligibility for Scoochie! Final Four would be in the bag, baby!
I'm sorry, but that's way too wide open for recruiting. That means we would be after Opie, Fonzie, Chucky, Gumby, etc. We have to be a little more selective.

Also under your process some potential targets would be five of the seven dwarfs: Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Sneezy and Dopey!

Last edited by O Doyle Rules; 02-08-2019 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2019, 11:30 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
My guess is Crutcher still logs heavy minutes next year (over 30 mpg).
You might be correct, and that will be dictated by how much success he's having and how much he grows/develops.

Scooch was over 30 minutes/game for 3 straight years (somewhere between 30 and 32 minutes each year), and I don't seem to recall a lot of chatter about his minutes, although my memory could be off.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
You might be correct, and that will be dictated by how much success he's having and how much he grows/develops.

Scooch was over 30 minutes/game for 3 straight years (somewhere between 30 and 32 minutes each year), and I don't seem to recall a lot of chatter about his minutes, although my memory could be off.
JC ain't no Scooch, though, and while he'll log plenty of mpg next year, I won't be surprised
if plenty of them are at the 2 guard. Certainly this depends on Cohill's progression and Chatman..
Old 02-08-2019, 12:18 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
JC ain't no Scooch, though, and while he'll log plenty of mpg next year, I won't be surprised
if plenty of them are at the 2 guard. Certainly this depends on Cohill's progression and Chatman..
If he's the 2 guard, he better improve the shooting %.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:31 PM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
If he's the 2 guard, he better improve the shooting %.
Well, he's 37 % now from 3's (not too long ago he was 43% and tops in the A10) and that's having to play 35 mpg plus and playing the point so I'm sure the minutes add up on his legs......I just think they need a quicker PG who can break things down better in the HC offense and get more guys involved.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:12 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Don't think Tshianga starts over Mikesell.
Originally Posted by RamodWaleskowski View Post
Yikes. Bench the captain Mikesell?

Nobody has been a bigger advocate for Mikesell than me, but next year I would not be the least bit surprised if he's coming off the bench. For all the right reasons.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 01:20 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Nobody has been a bigger advocate for Mikesell than me, but next year I would not be the least bit surprised if he's coming off the bench. For all the right reasons.
I think there's 3 guys in Mikesell, Landers and Davis that I would not be surprised at them coming off the bench and maybe not even getting to close the mpg they are now. It's not that they don't show glimpses of being very good and difference makers but there's just a consistency level not being met...
Old 02-08-2019, 01:33 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by O Doyle Rules View Post
That's a little too restrictive in my recruiting methodology.

I am able to work with names that have two syllables ending in BI. That opens, up Bobi, Boobi, Cobi, Debi, Doobi, Jebi, etc. We will need to be able to find enough recruits field a team.
If we end up with Bobi and/or Debi, they better be 7' tall and pushing 290 lbs.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:58 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Some of these comments about people starting should be clarified by a timetable. Are we to assume that these new starters will happen for the first game?
Old 02-08-2019, 03:04 PM
Major General

I'm sure as the rest of this season plays out along with summer workouts/ fall practices, obviously, the coaches get a much better evaluation of all players so for any poster to give some timetable is pure non-sense. Again, this is a message board so it's all opinionated is it not?

All I know is all 3 of the players I mentioned have multiple deficiencies of some sort and their inconsistent play in their stats and games proves that. I have no clue if the RS guys are better between the white lines or not but, again, it's a board to give opinions. I know that I see better and far more clearly than I hear..
Old 02-08-2019, 03:20 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I'm sure as the rest of this season plays out along with summer workouts/ fall practices, obviously, the coaches get a much better evaluation of all players so for any poster to give some timetable is pure non-sense. Again, this is a message board so it's all opinionated is it not?

All I know is all 3 of the players I mentioned have multiple deficiencies of some sort and their inconsistent play in their stats and games proves that. I have no clue if the RS guys are better between the white lines or not but, again, it's a board to give opinions. I know that I see better and far more clearly than I hear..
Just to clarify, I of course in no way mean the exact month and day or game. In general: the start of the season, by the start of A10, near the end of the season.

How many said Obi would start this year? It took him 22 games, as good as he has been. I do not see Grant not starting seniors, Mikesell and Landers, at the start of the season. Near the end of the season, probably not.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:28 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post

That’s mainly because we had no competent back up (see Crosby). Next year we should have at least 3 that can play the point.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:31 PM
General of the Air Force

TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Just to clarify, I of course in no way mean the exact month and day or game. In general: the start of the season, by the start of A10, near the end of the season.

How many said Obi would start this year? It took him 22 games, as good as he has been. I do not see Grant not starting seniors, Mikesell and Landers, at the start of the season. Near the end of the season, probably not.
I really don’t think AG cares whether you are a senior or freshman. He’s going to play the 5 that give him the best chance to be successful. In addition, “starting” is way overrated. It’s not who starts that’s important, it’s who finishes.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-09-2019), San Diego Flyer (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 04:09 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Save maybe Gregory's first team with Bennett and Mark Jones, how many Dayton NCAA teams this century would this years version of Jordan Davis, Mikesell and Trey Landers start on or be more than a 5th option?

Not saying those guys are worthless, can't improve or be valuable members of the team but answer that question and you'll see where the transfers have a chance if things stay static
Old 02-08-2019, 10:40 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Save maybe Gregory's first team with Bennett and Mark Jones, how many Dayton NCAA teams this century would this years version of Jordan Davis, Mikesell and Trey Landers start on or be more than a 5th option?

Not saying those guys are worthless, can't improve or be valuable members of the team but answer that question and you'll see where the transfers have a chance if things stay static

Sorry, but that's a stupid question.

Mad Props to Glen Clark For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (02-09-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 11:31 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
Sorry, but that's a stupid question.
I get the point, and there's some truth to it. These guys aren't studs, and frankly, all have major consistency issues that render them mostly inept for games at a time.

It's not to beat them up. In fact, I like all three of them, but a simple and statistical analysis and some basic observation makes it clear.

On a full, talented team, past, present or future, I also believe all three of them ride pine not only to start the game, but also many of the 40 minutes between then and the end.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:12 AM
General

Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by pmcmullen View Post
I get the point, and there's some truth to it. These guys aren't studs, and frankly, all have major consistency issues that render them mostly inept for games at a time.

It's not to beat them up. In fact, I like all three of them, but a simple and statistical analysis and some basic observation makes it clear.

On a full, talented team, past, present or future, I also believe all three of them ride pine not only to start the game, but also many of the 40 minutes between then and the end.

"A man sees what he wants to see, And disregards the rest."
Paul Simon - The Boxer
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Glen Clark For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (02-11-2019), jack72 (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 07:49 AM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Grim analysis of AG
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2019, 08:03 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Grim analysis of AG
Posted via Mobile Device
How so?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2019, 08:13 AM
General of the Air Force

Grim analysis of AG
Posted via Mobile Device
Please explain. All 3 mentioned were Miller recruits.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:33 AM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm confused.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:09 AM

My late mother's cooking gets better every year, and the fish I caught gets bigger.

It's funny how we tend to forget the dog games or halves guys like Sibert, Scoochie, Cooke etc had.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-09-2019), Gazoo (02-11-2019), Lowd&ProUD (02-10-2019), Radar (02-09-2019), San Diego Flyer (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 10:44 AM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pmcmullen View Post

This is a fair assessment. “Seeing what you want to see”, goes both ways.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:28 PM
General of the Air Force

My late mother's cooking gets better every year, and the fish I caught gets bigger.

It's funny how we tend to forget the dog games or halves guys like Sibert, Scoochie, Cooke etc had.
This is true, but you certainly can’t argue with 4 straight NCAA at large bids, 5 NCAA tourney wins etc..
Old 02-09-2019, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
This is true, but you certainly can’t argue with 4 straight NCAA at large bids, 5 NCAA tourney wins etc..
Nope, and I won't, but not my point.

It really irks me when people try to say Crutcher is not nearly as good as Scoochie. Which Scoochie? The senior, or the one half way through his sophomore year. I think Crutcher is every bit as good a Scoochie.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ChrisInVenice (02-10-2019), CT Flyer (02-09-2019), Lowd&ProUD (02-10-2019), San Diego Flyer (02-09-2019), SoTier Flyer (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 03:12 PM
Captain

EliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud of
I don't think Landers starts next year or gets more than 15-18 mpg. With our athleticism on the outside with longer wings (Chase, Obi, Ibi, Matos) I think Trey's lack of shooting, defensive speed and turnover issues will result in a bench role. I love the effort and love the rebounding but I think he's best suited as an energy guy with limited minutes.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:59 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute

It really irks me when people try to say Crutcher is not nearly as good as Scoochie. Which Scoochie? The senior, or the one half way through his sophomore year. I think Crutcher is every bit as good a Scoochie.
JC Soph Stats (so far)
36min/game
FG%: 41.2%
3pt: 37.1%
Ast/Game: 5.7
Ast/TO: 2.4
PPG: 13.0

SS Soph Stats
33min/game
FG%: 41.4%
3Pt: 38.0%
Ast/Game: 3.8
Ast/TO: 1.9
PPG: 9.2
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shapanud For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-09-2019), Glen Clark (02-09-2019), jack72 (02-09-2019), Lowd&ProUD (02-10-2019), mikeymo85 (02-10-2019), San Diego Flyer (02-09-2019), SoTier Flyer (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 06:41 PM
General

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
How so?
Posted via Mobile Device
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
Please explain. All 3 mentioned were Miller recruits.
If you're taking Davis/Landers/Mikesell over guys like Kyle Davis/Pierre/Brooks Hall/etc than the team must be underachieving

Very simple, straightforward question. Who of Davis/Landers/Mikesell would start or be better than a 5th option on any UD tourney team this century

Not debating Crutcher/Scoochie, trying to belittle anyone or say guys didn't have bad games
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
EliteEight (02-09-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 AM
General of the Air Force

If you're taking Davis/Landers/Mikesell over guys like Kyle Davis/Pierre/Brooks Hall/etc than the team must be underachieving

Very simple, straightforward question. Who of Davis/Landers/Mikesell would start or be better than a 5th option on any UD tourney team this century

Not debating Crutcher/Scoochie, trying to belittle anyone or say guys didn't have bad games
I'll play.

I think certain players may not be ranked as highly in overall talent but fit because of the other pieces around them. Kyle Davis very much falls into that category. Who doesn't love Kyle Davis but I think I'd start Jordan Davis over Kyle. I also think I'd take the healthy Ryan Mikesell over the Xeyrius Williams that started 2 years ago. Landers lost his starting slot but he is one of those players that fits at times because of the pieces around him. It may still be advisable to start him over Obi in certain games.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ChrisInVenice (02-10-2019), jack72 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 08:39 AM
Captain

shwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I'll play.

I think certain players may not be ranked as highly in overall talent but fit because of the other pieces around them. Kyle Davis very much falls into that category. Who doesn't love Kyle Davis but I think I'd start Jordan Davis over Kyle. I also think I'd take the healthy Ryan Mikesell over the Xeyrius Williams that started 2 years ago. Landers lost his starting slot but he is one of those players that fits at times because of the pieces around him. It may still be advisable to start him over Obi in certain games.

JD over KD?

I mean we'll see what jordan can do in the next couple years, but as of right now no way.
Mad Props to shwag33 For This Totally Excellent Post:
keats '91 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 10:29 AM
Academy Doolie

ChrisInVenice is just really niceChrisInVenice is just really niceChrisInVenice is just really niceChrisInVenice is just really nice

I disagree with you. Those guys would be pushing for starts on EVERY team you reference.
Mad Props to ChrisInVenice For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 12:09 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by shwag33 View Post
JD over KD?

I mean we'll see what jordan can do in the next couple years, but as of right now no way.
Again - I love Kyle. I am very aware of his defensive ability but a perimeter player that can't/wont shoot is a problem. Teams sagged off of him big time.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 01:05 PM
General

Originally Posted by shwag33 View Post
JD over KD?

Welcome to UD Pride, Ibi Watson.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:48 PM
1st Lieutenant

Lowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud of

Ding, ding, ding!

I've been saying this from Day 1 with Crutcher. That people were comparing recent memories only ... i.e., freshman Crutcher to senior Scoochie.

I believe Crutcher has been every bit as good as Scooch at the same points in their career.

Also this ... Jalen hasn't exactly had the same quality cast around him either. Next year should be different however.
Mad Props to Lowd&ProUD For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 01:51 PM
1st Lieutenant

Lowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
"A man sees what he wants to see, And disregards the rest."
Paul Simon - The Boxer
It's called confirmation bias and can be found on full display on any sports forum across the globe.
Mad Props to Lowd&ProUD For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD62 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 02:25 PM
Captain

Hobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of light
As I see it, with minutes per game:

Starters:

1..Crutcher...28
2..Watson...20
3..Toppin...33
4..Johnson...15
5..Tshimanga...25

2nd Team

1..Chatman...12
2..Davis...15
3..Landers...15
4..Mikesell...15
5..Sissoko...5

3rd Team

1..Leonard...1
2..Cohill...7
3..Matos...9

and...

I cannot imagine Frankie returning. He gets almost no playing time with only 7 other guys on the team. I don't see him getting a single minute of quality time next year with 12 guys in front of him. Especially in light of the recruiting going to another level, he should leave and pursue a career at a low-major school where he can get good minutes. I will wish him well. Seems like a nice kid.

The biggest problem will be getting really good players really good minutes. Chatman will be perhaps the best non starting, non P5 point guard in the country. Look for him to only get 12 or so minutes a game, since he really is a 1 and we have so much strength at the 2. There may be a Crutcher/Chatman combo lineup, but I just think you need to get Ibi/Davis/Cohill as much time as possible. To that end, perhaps a three guard lineup may happen with any number of combinations.

Unless Cohill stops playing scared, with all his talent, he won't be in the top 10 Flyers in terms of minutes.

Cohill won't play point next year unless he brings it up for a specifically designed play in a specific game time situation. Chatman is that good.

Jordy and Johnson starting will be dependent on their health, but as long as their legs and brain, respectively, remain healthy, they are superior talents and should start. It seems like Jordy may not be good for more than 25 minutes, so look for running with a smaller lineup when Sissoko isn't spelling him. I have Johnson down at 15 minutes so that Obi can get minutes at the 3 and 4. It seems like Chase can play both positions as well. I also like Obi at the 3 as much as possible since this may be his best NBA position.

Mikesell being the first off the bench would be amazing. Landers coming off second would be just as good. Heck, our second team will be pretty much as good as our second team. It will be better on certain nights. I don't believe that Mikesell will start because next year the athleticism will be on such a high level that Ryan will be a liability in this area compared to others that could get more minutes. I think Trey's total inability to shoot makes him a liability.

There are ten guys on the roster who could get hot and could play 35 minutes. Or, Obi could become an All-American candidate and garner 35 minutes a game, but I think that these may be close to the minutes they average.
Mad Props to Hobopotamus1 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 02:45 PM
General of the Air Force

I am willing to see how things shake out next year. There is still some basketball left to be played this year that I am interested in watching.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 02:48 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hobopotamus1 View Post
As I see it, with minutes per game:

Starters:

1..Crutcher...28
2..Watson...20
3..Toppin...33
4..Johnson...15
5..Tshimanga...25

2nd Team

1..Chatman...12
2..Davis...15
3..Landers...15
4..Mikesell...15
5..Sissoko...5

3rd Team

1..Leonard...1
2..Cohill...7
3..Matos...9

and...

I cannot imagine Frankie returning. He gets almost no playing time with only 7 other guys on the team. I don't see him getting a single minute of quality time next year with 12 guys in front of him. Especially in light of the recruiting going to another level, he should leave and pursue a career at a low-major school where he can get good minutes. I will wish him well. Seems like a nice kid.

The biggest problem will be getting really good players really good minutes. Chatman will be perhaps the best non starting, non P5 point guard in the country. Look for him to only get 12 or so minutes a game, since he really is a 1 and we have so much strength at the 2. There may be a Crutcher/Chatman combo lineup, but I just think you need to get Ibi/Davis/Cohill as much time as possible. To that end, perhaps a three guard lineup may happen with any number of combinations.

Unless Cohill stops playing scared, with all his talent, he won't be in the top 10 Flyers in terms of minutes.

Cohill won't play point next year unless he brings it up for a specifically designed play in a specific game time situation. Chatman is that good.

Jordy and Johnson starting will be dependent on their health, but as long as their legs and brain, respectively, remain healthy, they are superior talents and should start. It seems like Jordy may not be good for more than 25 minutes, so look for running with a smaller lineup when Sissoko isn't spelling him. I have Johnson down at 15 minutes so that Obi can get minutes at the 3 and 4. It seems like Chase can play both positions as well. I also like Obi at the 3 as much as possible since this may be his best NBA position.

Mikesell being the first off the bench would be amazing. Landers coming off second would be just as good. Heck, our second team will be pretty much as good as our second team. It will be better on certain nights. I don't believe that Mikesell will start because next year the athleticism will be on such a high level that Ryan will be a liability in this area compared to others that could get more minutes. I think Trey's total inability to shoot makes him a liability.

There are ten guys on the roster who could get hot and could play 35 minutes. Or, Obi could become an All-American candidate and garner 35 minutes a game, but I think that these may be close to the minutes they average.
Great post with tremendous analysis of A LOT of moving parts with several scenarios and fairly candid explanations.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:37 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
I think trying to slot guys into specific 12345 positions and divide the playing time precisely by position is a losing battle.

I think you're likely to see something like:

Crutcher 25
Chapman 25
Etc.

Some will be with Crutcher running the point. Some will be with Chatman running the point. Some will be with both on the court at the same time.

Plus I don't think next year's roster will be the same 13 we think it will be right now. Who leaves is very fluid at this point.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:22 PM
Captain

Hobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of light
Sure, just trying to make educated guesses.

There definitely could be transfers, as always, especially with so many good players who may not get the minutes they want. BUT, I think AG has done a great job of letting players know that "this is not for everybody." I think transfers will be minimal. But, as I posted, I'd be shocked if Frankie came back.

I will be interested to see if Chatman gets as much time as you suggest. You may be right. In Ag I trust.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:33 PM
Captain

Clear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud of
Count me as a hoping Frankie stays and doesn't get discouraged! A lot of freshman lack playing time and gain minutes as they get older. He is going to be good!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:51 PM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
Wonder if there's anyway Frankie would take a redshirt next season? He's got great size for a freshman, and though we haven't seen much of it, the book on him says he's a shooter. I think he could be a real contributor down the road if he gets some space between him and some of the upperclassmen.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:35 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

FlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond repute
I think Cohill will play more than the 7 minutes next year, I'm expecting him to make a nice improvement in his game into his sophomore year with this season under his belt. His natural talent & athleticism jump out from time to time enough to see he's potentially very special.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:37 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerBob View Post
I think Cohill will play more than the 7 minutes next year, I'm expecting him to make a nice improvement in his game into his sophomore year with this season under his belt. His natural talent & athleticism jump out from time to time enough to see he's potentially very special.
Yes, you are correct but you didn't mention what a shutdown defensive player he is.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CJ2etc (02-11-2019), FlyerBob (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 10:13 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by FlyerBob View Post
I think you are probably right, but who will he take minutes from? If Larry is right about Ibi, he will get huge minutes. Will Davis just play 7 minutes? It's certainly possible.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:10 AM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
For reference, Josh Parker averaged:

10.7ppg
1.5apg
2.0rpg
.452% FG
.432% 3PT FG
.720% FT

...in his sophomore year at Drake before transferring to UD.

In his two seasons at UD:
JUNIOR:
7.0ppg
2.6apg
2.1rpg
.320% FG
.338 3PT FG
.778% FT

SENIOR:
8.7ppg
1.8apg
1.9rpg
.379% FG
.303% FG
.773% FT

So he never shot nearly as well at Dayton as he did at Drake, but did throw a few more assists. Rebounds and FT% were about even. He also didnt increase his scoring average, though he was also asked to do a bit less.

I'd still call Parker a quality addition to the program at the time. Decent secondary ball handler, could get streaky from the perimeter, wasn't a liability.

There's no telling how Chatman will do as he's by far the most seasoned college transfer that played a major role at his last school.

CHATMAN
13.3ppg
4.5apg
4.1rpg
.453% FG
.339% 3PT FG
.782% FT

If he got anywhere near those stats Id be ecstatic. He will need to improve his A/TO ratio. Last season it was 1.52:1 (135/89). In his frosh season it was almost exactly 1:1. Im guessing Chatman averages 6-7ppg next year.

I'm hoping Watson pulls a Sibert and just demonstrates that all he lacked was playing time and the latitude to play through mistakes like the starters in front of him. Jordy is a biiiig man. Not sure what we're going to get with him. I hope he's developing some combo stuff with Obi in practice. My UF Gator connection tells me Chase Johnson aint no scrub. The injury and roster bottleneck held him up.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-11-2019), FlyerBob (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 12:27 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,568 Times in 5,077 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Ibi must be pretty good. Hansgen has given us good insider information before.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:52 AM

I have come to the conclusion that Frankie cannot play at the level this program is shooting for. Heck he barely gets minutes on this year's #100 team. Maybe Grant keeps him and rarely plays him, because he now will have enough players and Frankie likes it at UD. Best case, Frankie transfers and we bring in a better recruit or transfer.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:55 AM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Call me crazy, but best case Frankie waits his time, hits the weights hard and adds a bunch of strength, refines his game and finds a solid, if not starring role with UD. Thank God Devin stuck around all 4 years of his time at UD
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (02-11-2019), Clear Prop (02-11-2019), flyhi524 (02-11-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (02-11-2019), zmz723 (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 01:19 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hobopotamus1 View Post
I cannot imagine Frankie returning.
I have come to the conclusion that Frankie cannot play at the level this program is shooting for.

After the URI game they showed the players leaving the court. The walk-on was jumping around and celebrating with the guys, good laughs all around.

Frankie was straight faced and separated. I haven't seen him smile on the court yet. I don't think he's fitting in and I don't think he's having fun. I think he's already got his mind made up.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:34 PM
1st Lieutenant

Wallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant future
There's info from various sources out there saying really good things about Ibi, Chatman and Chase.

All Jordy needs to do is be big (check), alter shots, rebound and be ready to finish down low. I don't anticipate he'll be better than Josh as a player, but his size (and I assume strength) alone negates some of the issues Josh has had with big athletic defenders right off the bat.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:41 PM
1st Lieutenant

Wallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
After the URI game they showed the players leaving the court. The walk-on was jumping around and celebrating with the guys, good laughs all around.

Frankie was straight faced and separated. I haven't seen him smile on the court yet. I don't think he's fitting in and I don't think he's having fun. I think he's already got his mind made up.
I'd like to see Frankie stay. I think he could be a valuable shooter from the 3 or the 4 position starting next year. But there is definitely a talent log jam and I'm not sure who I'd put on the bench to get him time.

I had thought Frankie would be around next year before last game. He got 4 mins in a 30 pt blowout at RI. Rhody packed it in a quit at the 7 or 8 min mark. No reason he shouldn't get at least a few more minutes unless there is a message in there somewhere. Either he's decided to leave or the coaches have decided they want him to leave. Just my $0.02.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:18 PM

Thanked 3,137 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
Frankie gets a first hand view of the incoming talent every day. We have all played a pickup game of basketball. It doesn't take long to see who the better players are on the court. And if we are being honest with ourselves, we know the pecking order and where we fit it. I would imagine he has a better idea than anyone if he has a real shot next year. He is young and could certainly benefit from a year of sitting out either through a developmental or transfer redshirt. My guess, he will be one of those two.

The real question is where he fits in. Does he give us a tool we will not have without him? Does he give us a 6'8" guy that can stretch the defense away from our big guys. Secondly, can he add on the defensive end?

If I had to bet my house on it, he will be wearing different colors next year.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:54 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It's been widely acknowledged that Frankie has a good stroke in practice. But we have been seen that movie before where it does not translate to games. TBD

My surprise in looking at the Flyer roster picture is that Frankie has a great frame that will pack on some weight. And he is not skinny to begin with.

Check out his build #2 on the right end of the row. He is wide in the shoulders and has the meat to match it. Sturdy legs. Thick upper arms. There is a pony in that pile! Compare him to some of our other players.

https://daytonflyers.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (02-11-2019), Clear Prop (02-11-2019), Gazoo (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 04:08 PM
General

I have come to the conclusion that Frankie cannot play at the level this program is shooting for. Heck he barely gets minutes on this year's #100 team. Maybe Grant keeps him and rarely plays him, because he now will have enough players and Frankie likes it at UD. Best case, Frankie transfers and we bring in a better recruit or transfer.

I heard similar sentiments expressed about Devin Oliver halfway through his freshman year, yet he was the only recruit of the five in that class to finish four years in the program.

Glad he stayed.

Clear Prop (02-11-2019), OSU Flyer (02-11-2019), SLUFLYER (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 05:39 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome Ibi!....)
Mad Props to steverino015 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (02-12-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 06:05 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
I have to believe the coaching staff knew what they were getting when they offered Policelli the scholarship. They also knew what they were doing when they wanted to redshirt him even when the line up was already thin. They did this very early on.

This seems to me to mean they recruited him for the player would or could develop into not for what he was. I do not see that they would quickly abandon him.

Besides while the team appears to have a surplus of two guards and perhaps some would fill roles at the three spot or even in the case of Landers at the 4 spot they do not have many ideal three spot players. Mikesell is the only one who really fits that bill on the team and he will graduate after next year. If Policelli develops the way the coaching staff no doubt hopes he will, he could have that spot almost all to his own after next year.
Mad Props to oldfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Clear Prop (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 09:46 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
the thing that gets me frustrated is Crutcher walks the ball up and it has to do with having to play 38 minutes a night. I look forward to Chatman and Crutcher always pushing the pace.