Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Win It For...
Win It For...
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
01-14-2011
Win It For...

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- As a lifelong Red Sox fan, the 2004 World Series Championship had (and always will have) a special place in my heart. One of the enduring memories of that magical season was the “Win It For…” thread on the Sons of Sam Horn MB:

http://sonsofsamhorn.com/ezboard/ind...17-win-it-for/

67 pages of heartfelt posts, imploring the Sawx to bring home their first World Series pennant in 86 years for relatives long gone who had “waited until next year” with the rest of New England, but died before their collective dream came to fruition.

As a UD fan for the past 44 years, it bugs the living sh*t out of me that 30 years have passed since the Flyers last defeated Xavier in a basketball game played in Cincinapolisville. It’s not like UD hasn’t beaten the X Men -- we kicked their butts, ate their lunch, stole their hubcaps, made them write bad checks and sent them home to Momma cryin’ last year by twenty five points at the UD Arena. Clearly, the time to end this “Cincinnati Curse” crud is now.

The “Win It For…” thread worked like a charm for the Carmines in 2004, so I figure it can’t hurt to spring it on an unsuspecting Xavier fanbase now, when they least expect it. Here goes:

Win it for…

-- Don Donoher just because he deserves it.

-- Roosevelt Chapman, pound-for-pound perhaps the greatest Flyer of all, who only tasted victory vs. X in the Queen City once during his freshman year in 1981.

-- Negele Knight, the last Flyer to make it in the NBA.

-- Doug Hauschild. He’s been SID for 25 years and has yet to write a victorious UD/X game summary on the banks of the Ohio.

-- Keith Waleskowski who played his butt off in every game in which he ever suited up vs. X in Cincy and had nothing to show for it.

-- Oliver Purnell. He came the closest of any UD coach to ending the madness in 2000, dropping a 65-64 heartbreaker in OT.

-- Noland Robinson. He somehow won the Blackburn-McCafferty MVP award for the game in Cincy in 1989 in spite of the fact that Dayton lost the contest.

-- Jim O’Brien. The closest he got was that same 83-78 loss in 1989.

-- Ken Pomeroy and his predictor algorithm or rather in spite of him and it.

-- Wes Coffee, who took that gutless “pass” from current X Head Coach Chris Mack smack dab in the kisser when Mack played at Evansville. Coach Mack, say hello to my little friend, Karma.

-- BG. You know that he and Billy and Corn and Jon want this one as badly as we all do.

-- Former President Jimmy Carter. He is as sick of being associated with this losing skein as we are hearing about it.

-- That poor, defenseless water fountain in historic Hinkle Fieldhouse.

-- LaDontae Henton and Percy Gibson, so they don’t have to put up with this BS when they arrive on campus next summer.

-- Hell guys forget everyone and everything else -- just win the dang game for yourselves.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By THirt on 01-14-2011, 09:52 PM
For Matt Kavanaugh and his hatred of eggsavier.

For Ryan Perryman, who played his @$$ off and almost helped us get a W.

For Edwin Young, who was fouled at the end of regulation in that OT loss, because he never got the chance he deserved to make the game winning FT's.

For my grandfather, a Flyer from 1940-43 who had his nose broken by an eggsavier player. This is likely his last chance to see a UD win in Cincinnati, as I'm not sure he'll be with us this time next year.
Last edited by THirt; 01-14-2011 at 10:42 PM..
By The Fat Tuna on 01-14-2011, 10:53 PM
****it Swampy. Can you stop talking about the **** Red Sox? It is getting annoying. Stick to UD basketball with the references.

The 14-2 crap is ridiculous enough, don't add the Red Sox.
By ClearTheRunwayForWLJ on 01-15-2011, 11:01 AM
I guess Brian Roberts never tried ...
By Buster Goode on 01-17-2011, 05:04 PM
highlight [copy] wait 365 days [paste]...
Comment

Article Tools