Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Just off the Jet

PUG85 is on a distinguished road
Free WiFi in the Arena?

So, does the arena upgrade include free WiFi? Really my pet peeve. Verizon signal dies in the 300 section. Would really like to be able to get real time stats at my finger tips.
Mad Props to PUG85 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (11-10-2017)
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2017, 09:45 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PUG85 View Post
So, does the arena upgrade include free WiFi? Really my pet peeve. Verizon signal dies in the 300 section. Would really like to be able to get real time stats at my finger tips.
That is supposed to be part of Phase 2 so it is not scheduled to happen until next season.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
My understanding is that they need to run a line from campus across the river to handle the bandwidth that 13000 devices demand. The infrastructure doesn't currently exist on that side of the river.
Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Umm, isn't Spectrum one of the major sponsors? For the free public WiFi, if they do not have a direct fibre run from campus they have several temporary options in order to get a free network up. The easiest way to extend the network would have been to just do a point to point mircowave signal from the top of the Marriott or the River Campus UDRI building going to the highest point of the arena.

Last edited by Ready Action; 11-10-2017 at 10:22 AM..
Old 11-10-2017, 10:22 AM
Just off the Jet

It's the 21st Century - WiFi is Here!

Originally Posted by sheg View Post
My understanding is that they need to run a line from campus across the river to handle the bandwidth that 13000 devices demand. The infrastructure doesn't currently exist on that side of the river.
Seems unfathomable to me that high speed internet service does not exist west of the river. That would imply all of the Arena offices are using dial-up. I wondered what happened to all those acoustic couplers we used to dial-in to the Univac in the eighties. Nice to hear they are being put to good use.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Lieutenant General

C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
I have ATT and actually don't have any issues using LTE until halftime when everybody else is checking their phone and using data. Checking stats at media timeouts usually works fine for me. Hopefully next year when the Wifi is upgraded everybody will connect to that and free up ATT's LTE bandwith so I can keep using that.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Just off the Jet

Yeah, I'd be embarrassed if I was the Spectrum Account Manager. $75M and they couldn't squeeze that into phase 1, WOW!
Old 11-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ready Action View Post
Umm, isn't Spectrum one of the major sponsors?
Don't know how big of a player Spectrum is now, if they are at all....It is the Flight Deck now...not Spectrum/Time Warner...all signage is changed/covered as that relationship is gone.

They are not listed as one of the 8 big sponsors on UD's webpage either.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:44 AM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PUG85 View Post
Seems unfathomable to me that high speed internet service does not exist west of the river. That would imply all of the Arena offices are using dial-up. I wondered what happened to all those acoustic couplers we used to dial-in to the Univac in the eighties. Nice to hear they are being put to good use.
There is a big difference with setting up a business Spectrum account and seeing that the entire arena and staff at the arena have direct cable/server access to the main campus...without routing through Spectrum servers.

I am no IT guy...but most cities have fiber running from office building to office building, connecting servers, versus channeling through a commercial server...
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by C-time View Post
I have ATT and actually don't have any issues using LTE until halftime when everybody else is checking their phone and using data. Checking stats at media timeouts usually works fine for me. Hopefully next year when the Wifi is upgraded everybody will connect to that and free up ATT's LTE bandwith so I can keep using that.
In years past during the NCAA tournament, portable cell towers were placed over by the baseball field. Same thing when Spring was a major player in Nascar. The tracks had plenty of Sprint service out in the hills of wherever.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
In years past during the NCAA tournament, portable cell towers were placed over by the baseball field. Same thing when Spring was a major player in Nascar. The tracks had plenty of Sprint service out in the hills of wherever.
Yeah I've seen those at some big events. Also some arenas have those or at least boosters built in to help cell phone signals. I hope the arena gets some of those too because I would prefer just to use LTE. I tried using the "Free Wifi" at Bankers Life last year for the NCAA tournament game and it was so slow I turned it off and just used LTE which was much faster.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Don't know how big of a player Spectrum is now, if they are at all....It is the Flight Deck now...not Spectrum/Time Warner...all signage is changed/covered as that relationship is gone.

They are not listed as one of the 8 big sponsors on UD's webpage either.
Oh maybe that is why the delay in extending the network even if it would be a temporary solution.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:07 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Time Warner wanted $6,300.00, then reduced it to "only $5,900.00" to run high speed lines on existing poles one small city block for my office with 3 or 4 computers. I can only imagine what price they may have quoted UD given the location of the arena, amount of bandwidth for 13,000 people, etc.... Looking forward to next year when hopefully this problem is fixed, as my Verizon in the 200's has no service ever.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:33 PM

Spectrum wanted over 5k to relocate a 1 inch or so cable on some property in Miami County...the cable is 6 inches under grade and needs to be feet under grade into order to construct a apron and driveway across a ditch and onto an elevated property.

My buddy told them he would trench it all out himself and they quoted him 1k to simply re-lay the line. Talk about a goat rope.

Mile or so of cable from campus...hell of a project.