Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
It Is On, Part Deux
It Is On, Part Deux
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
02-28-2009
It Is On, Part Deux

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- The Temple game is in the books. Any time you can drill John Chaney U, in my mind it’s a good day. However, UD fans and the Dayton Flyers basketball team as a squad can now finally turn our collective focus to much more important matters:

It’s Time to Kick Some Xavier Butt--AGAIN!

Thursday night at 9:00PM EST on ESPN 2 the Flyers will face off against their arch-nemesissies from the south, the soon-to-be-no-longer-ranked-#19 (AP)/#22 (ESPN/USA Today) Xavier Mouseketeers.

But first, a little history lesson for those of you with French accents.

Dayton 81

Eggsovereasy 67

For you historically impaired X fans, that’s the current all-time series standings and don’t look now, but the number on the UD side of the ledger is about to go up by one.

My new buddies over on the Xavier MBs like PM Thor, Ivanhoe and Xavier Tragedy basically drilled me a new one when I had the audacity to predict a 15 point UD victory before the two teams’ first encounter. I apologize fellas, I was totally wrong.

UD only won by 13.

And to “1 and Done” the supposed UD student who spends his time over on their sites licking the boots of the Frenchmen, I would imagine that there is a special place in Hades for you, my turncoat friend.

The thing about history, as George “Carlos” Santayana so eloquently put it, is that:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Can everything old actually be new again? Heck yeah and now is as good a time as any to start, wouldn’t you say? Dayton has already humiliated X once; it’s time to make it two in a row!

Xavier fans are fond of posting pictures of Jimmy Carter, insinuating that it has been that long since UD has won a game vs. X in the Queen City. I would imagine that years from now, a picture of Barack Obama will help provide UD fans the same kind of painful reminder for Mouskie followers.

And I just love how X fans insist that the Flyers/Musties matchup isn’t a rivalry. If it ain’t, then why on earth did your head coach hold a special meeting with your students immediately after the first loss to UD in an attempt to get them fired up? “Please don’t go on Spring Break, stay here for the UD game.” But this isn’t a rivalry game?

Riigghhht.

What better way for the Flyers to deliver a message to the rest of the college basketball universe than to roll down I-75 and take the Mouskies brightly feathered, 3 cornered hats and stuff ‘em right down their puffy pants?

How better to wake up “St. Joe” Lunardi than to cut out X’s heart and stomp on it –- YET AGAIN -- on his employer’s network?

You can have your Chris Wright/Derrick Brown, Dante Jackson/Marcus Johnson or Kenny Frease/Kurt Hueslman matchups as far as I’m concerned. As a Michigan guy, the one duel that I want to see is Opie Redford vs. Paul Williams, Part Two. PW acquitted himself quite nicely in the first meeting: making a steal and feeding MJ for a layup; feeding Devin with a lob for an easy two; nailing a 3 pointer and playing great D on the little fella, who had a nice turnover soon after entering the game and later got one of his patented long-distance grenade launches swatted away by Chris Wright. Keep it up, Red. Will it decide the outcome of the game? Probably not, but that doesn’t mean I still don’t want to see it happen!

I firmly believe that this is the year that Dayton has the athleticism, the depth, the defense and, most importantly, the attitude to take two from the Frenchmen. A healthy Chris Wright doesn’t hurt, either. The Flyers have accomplished the first part of their mission, now it’s time to storm the Uniform Rental Center and finish the freakin’ job.

And if you ask me, those spiffy-looking alternate black jerseys that the Flyers will be sporting are just waiting to don the mantle of invincibility.

Time to kick butt and take names -– AGAIN!

Flyers 70

Mouskies 60

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By Rick303 on 02-28-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm wit' cha' dude!!!!

Love the article...specially the "eggsovereasy"!!!
By ChrisSFlyer on 02-28-2009, 10:03 PM
What's more jingoistic.....

A Lee Greenwood song or a Swampy article?

I'm no X fan, but to not notice (or acknowledge) the greater impact Redforrd has had on a team versus PW is downright wrong. Redford contributes more to X on a nightly basis then PW has. Might their roles reverse in time, quite possible. But for now, it looks like those who voted B-Rad for Mr. BB weren't far off. PW hasn't shown yet as much an impact as Redford has. And at this point, I would rather have Redford, because in BG's system, he'd be brilliant, and I would argue we'd be 227-2, 26-3 with him in our lineup.
By Atlantic 10 on 02-28-2009, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisSFlyer View Post
A Lee Greenwood song or a Swampy article?

I'm no X fan, but to not notice (or acknowledge) the greater impact Redforrd has had on a team versus PW is downright wrong. Redford contributes more to X on a nightly basis then PW has. Might their roles reverse in time, quite possible. But for now, it looks like those who voted B-Rad for Mr. BB weren't far off. PW hasn't shown yet as much an impact as Redford has. And at this point, I would rather have Redford, because in BG's system, he'd be brilliant, and I would argue we'd be 227-2, 26-3 with him in our lineup.
Lets say the injury that PW had put him behind starting the season,PW has made great strides and will help the Flyers, I heard he hurt his groin again today. He didnt play at all the 2nd half
By MrFlyerFanatic on 03-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Correction

Sorry Swampy,
Correction required:
You used the term "Uniform Rental Center."
The correct term is "Temporary Uniform Rental Depot."
By Flyer 86 on 03-01-2009, 06:57 PM
REdford has been doing well the past 5 or 6 games. Great article Swampy.

Flyers 68
mouseketeers 63
By UDBaby on 03-02-2009, 09:34 AM
From one homer to another.....great article.

As you say, it's time to put a match to the Rodent Flambe in their own building....
By Theo Huxtable on 03-03-2009, 01:23 AM
Now before you all try to kick me off this board again, please keep in mind this is all in good fun. I hate to break it to you guys but Dayton will not even come close to winning Thursday. Dayton has a great team this year. I feel like they will get to the dance but there is no way on Gods green eath that they beat Xavier.

I don't know who said this isn't a rivalry because it sure is to me. I think the UC game is more important to Xavier fans but that is getting boring. It's a good thing you guys finally won because it was getting boring beating you guys as well.

With that said, it should be a fun game Thursday night and I hope the huge loss by Dayton doesn't send them to the NIT. It is Senior night for one and you havn't won in 23 attempts in Cincinnati at this will not be the year. To think, this is a rebuilding year for Xavier too. Good thing you got that one because it might be a long time before you get another one.

Good luck the rest of the season but Thursday you will lose by 25.
By UDBaby on 03-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by Theo Huxtable View Post
Now before you all try to kick me off this board again, please keep in mind this is all in good fun. I hate to break it to you guys but Dayton will not even come close to winning Thursday. Dayton has a great team this year. I feel like they will get to the dance but there is no way on Gods green eath that they beat Xavier.

I don't know who said this isn't a rivalry because it sure is to me. I think the UC game is more important to Xavier fans but that is getting boring. It's a good thing you guys finally won because it was getting boring beating you guys as well.

With that said, it should be a fun game Thursday night and I hope the huge loss by Dayton doesn't send them to the NIT. It is Senior night for one and you havn't won in 23 attempts in Cincinnati at this will not be the year. To think, this is a rebuilding year for Xavier too. Good thing you got that one because it might be a long time before you get another one.

Good luck the rest of the season but Thursday you will lose by 25.
I find it mildly amusing, typically gratifying, but essentially pathetic that x and x'ers are so bereft of stimuli at norwood college that they continue to crash the ghetto to have a real college experience and troll UDPride for intelligent hoop dialogue. God I'm happy to be a Flyer!
By Columbia Blue on 03-03-2009, 11:11 AM
are we rocking the black alternates? if we win, might have to keep wearing them until we lose! i like the attitude!
By XFactor on 03-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Another third rate piece by an immature Flyer. A year after Swampy was taking shots at Brad Redford as a 17 year old high school kid, he's still trying to get his shots in. The fact is, Michigan Mr. Basketball is leading the conference in 3 pt. shooting at 49%, as a true freshman while playing for a Top 20 team. He has taken more three's than anyone on Dayton's team and is a better shooter than any Flyer could ever dream of being. He's only going to get better.

If you had listened to Swampy a year ago, you would have thought Redford wouldn't be able to get a shot off at this level and would be glued to the bench throughout the year.

UD Pride should be embarrassed to let Swampy represent this site with his articles while he takes shots at opposing players with name calling.
By Swampy Meadows on 03-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Gee, X-Factor, I'm so glad you liked it...I wrote it just for you.

You guys freakin' kill me. Do you really believe that any of us cares what you think about UD, 2 days before we square off vs. X.

If you will take the time to go into the archives, you will see that this article is pretty much a duplicate of the original "It Is On" column I penned before the 2/11 UD/X meeting, updated to include the fact that we kicked your keister up one side of UD Arena and down the other.

It worked like a charm the first time and I'm looking forward to updating my "Xavier Game Afterglow" column in similar fashion on Thursday night.

The PW/Opie reference was in the first article and I updated it to include their stats from the 1st game, which were pretty much of a wash. I don't care what your redheaded stepchild does against other teams, lets see what he does on Thursday.
By UDBaby on 03-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by XFactor View Post
Another third rate piece by an immature Flyer. A year after Swampy was taking shots at Brad Redford as a 17 year old high school kid, he's still trying to get his shots in. The fact is, Michigan Mr. Basketball is leading the conference in 3 pt. shooting at 49%, as a true freshman while playing for a Top 20 team. He has taken more three's than anyone on Dayton's team and is a better shooter than any Flyer could ever dream of being. He's only going to get better.

If you had listened to Swampy a year ago, you would have thought Redford wouldn't be able to get a shot off at this level and would be glued to the bench throughout the year.

UD Pride should be embarrassed to let Swampy represent this site with his articles while he takes shots at opposing players with name calling.
I realize that there's not much to do at Norwood CC, but couldn't you just pitch your tired rap to one of the more charitable hefers from the x'er herd?

Is Coach Miller really paying the student body to come to the game? I hear it's up to $10 per head, except for the livestock of course, all of "whom" are being paid in hay and oats.
By XFactor on 03-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
I don't care what your redheaded stepchild does against other teams, lets see what he does on Thursday.
The only reheadhed stepchild in this series is Dayton. Let's see, since 2000, Xavier is 17-4 against the Flyers. There's your redheaded stepchild.
By Swampy Meadows on 03-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Dayton 81

Eggsovereasy 67

Gee, X Non-Factor, I might be wrong, but it appears to me that UD might actually be leading this series.

Am I reading that wrong?

You know everything, you tell me.
By Theo Huxtable on 03-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Of course they are leading the series. UD was awesome for some long before Xavier decided to dominate. I would be looking at the fact that Xavier is about to catch up. I say in 10 years, Xavier will lead the series.

I can't wait till Thursday! I love how you guys win one game against Xavier and now think you guys will dominate us all of a sudden. I will give you this, this is Dayton's best chance in 28 years to win at Cincy but there is no way you can do it. There is no wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy in hell you can beat Xavier at Cintas, it just can't happen, I won't let it happen.
By SideshowBob on 03-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I love how upset the Xavier message board guys are getting over what UD fans think. Seems they are justified in thinking that they can put a whipping on Xavier this year. Were you not watching the last meeting?

Redford can shoot, but he is so one-dimensional. PW is going to be able to do so much more throughout his career at UD. Redford needs the extra body strength that might come in his last two years. Right now he absolutely gets bullied. Get over yourselves Xavier fans. Your team is big and slow. Your guards are horrid. Your cookie cutter basketball facility is an abomination. Your internet egos are in for a re-adjustment. Your message boards are trash. Your mascot is French. You must look at Norwood on your way to games. Your coach tries to downplay this game, and then gets thrashed. Your coach publicly downplays the game, and then holds student meetings to beg for attendance at the UD game. Your fans deny the rivalry and show up here begging for attention. You talk up Kenny Frease and then watch Devin Searcy swat his shots. You tell us Marcus Johnson is just an athlete and watch him develop into one of the best all around players in the conference under BG. You tell us CW has too much pressure on him and then watch him win nearly every game he participates in. You tell us BG should be fired as he brings steadily brings this program to the forefront of our league. You tell us that you hate our city and school and then sneak out of your prison dorms to experience college life on our campus. You say you hate UD Arena, and then you beg your UD grad brother in law to get you tickets so you can see a real college atmosphere game. You tell us these games are our superbowl and are then dumbfounded by the lack of interest on the part of UD fans before this game. You encourage the worst drivel known on the internet on your website, and then beg to be a part of our great site.
By Theo Huxtable on 03-04-2009, 05:02 PM
You won one freaking game against Xavier on your home court. UD is 5-5 on the road. You just don't have the talent to hang with the likes of Xavier. UD will never have a better recruit than Xavier. Chris Wrong is good but he isn't better than Derrick Brown. Redford is one dimensional but he is way ahead of PW, who ever the hell that is.

How come UD fans always use the initials of players and coaches? I have an initial for you guys "AW" that stands for ass whoopin which is what UD will get Tomorrow night. I can't wait, I'am so eXcited. Seriously, you guys are going to be very dissapointed and will be calling for BG's head after tomorrow:frog:

THis is a rivalry by the way, whoever doesn't think it is is out of their mind. The reason I am even on this board is because I like to talk a little friendly smack. If this wasn't a big game then I wouldn't be here.
By ChrisSFlyer on 03-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Bravo!!!

Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
I love how upset the Xavier message board guys are getting over what UD fans think. Seems they are justified in thinking that they can put a whipping on Xavier this year. Were you not watching the last meeting?

Redford can shoot, but he is so one-dimensional. PW is going to be able to do so much more throughout his career at UD. Redford needs the extra body strength that might come in his last two years. Right now he absolutely gets bullied. Get over yourselves Xavier fans. Your team is big and slow. Your guards are horrid. Your cookie cutter basketball facility is an abomination. Your internet egos are in for a re-adjustment. Your message boards are trash. Your mascot is French. You must look at Norwood on your way to games. Your coach tries to downplay this game, and then gets thrashed. Your coach publicly downplays the game, and then holds student meetings to beg for attendance at the UD game. Your fans deny the rivalry and show up here begging for attention. You talk up Kenny Frease and then watch Devin Searcy swat his shots. You tell us Marcus Johnson is just an athlete and watch him develop into one of the best all around players in the conference under BG. You tell us CW has too much pressure on him and then watch him win nearly every game he participates in. You tell us BG should be fired as he brings steadily brings this program to the forefront of our league. You tell us that you hate our city and school and then sneak out of your prison dorms to experience college life on our campus. You say you hate UD Arena, and then you beg your UD grad brother in law to get you tickets so you can see a real college atmosphere game. You tell us these games are our superbowl and are then dumbfounded by the lack of interest on the part of UD fans before this game. You encourage the worst drivel known on the internet on your website, and then beg to be a part of our great site.
Well done. Now this is the way to fire people up. Standing O from me.
By ChrisSFlyer on 03-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Bravo!!!

Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post

Well done. Now this is the way to fire people up. Standing O from me.
By hUDygrad on 03-06-2009, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by XFactor View Post
The only reheadhed stepchild in this series is Dayton. Let's see, since 2000, Xavier is 17-4 against the Flyers. There's your redheaded stepchild.
Unfortunately, Opie hit some huge 3's when Dayton was starting to get some momentum back.

As far the h/h with Williams? Not so much. I think this year is a throwaway year for PW due to injuries. The best is definitely yet to come.
By XFactor on 03-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by hUDygrad View Post
Unfortunately, Opie hit some huge 3's when Dayton was starting to get some momentum back.

As far the h/h with Williams? Not so much. I think this year is a throwaway year for PW due to injuries. The best is definitely yet to come.
You're probably right about Williams. I'm sure he will turn into a very good player for UD down the road. I wouldn't throw out the injury line for his play this year though.

The only problem I have is with Swampy who has never let a chance go by to knock Redford when Redford has clearly shown he is more than able to play at this level. The kid is 50-102 on 3's this year!! He can shoot it and he got 6 shots off last night, making 3 of them. Swampy has made it seem like Brad would never be able to get a shot off in college, but he's gotten 102 three's off and he's made 50% of them.
Comment

Article Tools