Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 12:24 AM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Tough Coaching Transitions

This is isn't as interesting as the Obi commit thread, but an interesting article and pic on the front page of a familiar face and a tidbit about his past team.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...k-ewing-others
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2017, 08:00 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Actually, it might be easier for AM to get his new team to commit to defense, now that 4 guys who believed they're NBA-ready are no longer on the roster. I'm guessing self-confidence wasn't lacking in that group.

And, do you suppose that they didn't mention our new CAG because they think his job of following AM isn't as hard as AM's job following TC? Or, is it just because they refuse to recognize that a place like UD exists? Or, could it be that they know our coach will have fans with realistic expectations? Just wondering.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
it took Archie (and Sean at Xavier) half way through their 3rd season before the lights went on. A lot of kids don't stay in the program that long.
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-24-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 09:30 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
I often thought when Archie left I would be interested in rooting him on in his new locale.

I am finding that nothing could be further from the truth. Don't care even a tiny bit about him or Indiana or how Indiana will face adversity under Archie.

Never liked Indiana basketball and him going there hasn't changed that one bit. Indiana and their fans are like the St. Louis Cardinals of baseball and their fans... they are entitled, spoiled and act like they are God's gift to the sport and will be more than happy to explain why they are allowed to act this way. So whatever. Keep on keepin' on.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fairways & Greens (05-17-2017), Flyer 86 (05-24-2017), Gazoo (05-20-2017), IndianaFlyer (05-17-2017), number21 (05-17-2017), TerryK_67 (05-17-2017), Wallage (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 09:42 AM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
People don't realize no one is entitled. It's about the coach. Making a final 4 (let alone winning the national championship) is hard. It takes skill and luck.

Indiana hasn't been a national player since RMK. He is not coming back. However, their AD made it clear the expectations have NOT changed. They expect final 4 AND a national championship.

I don't know whether Archie will succeed. Think he is a better coach but not near the recruiter Sean is. Sean has never made a final 4.

That being said I think he had taken Dayton as far as he could. I don't know whether Anthony or anyone else can take it farther. Archie does not surround himself with future coaches.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:00 AM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
I liked how AM went after young recruits ... knowing he would get the second tier players at mid major UD ... he went after guys with a chip on their shoulder ... I like when the above ESPN article mentioned ...

"Miller didn't have the elite recruits he might attract to Bloomington, but he had some dogs at Dayton, meet-me-in-the-alley players who anchored an Elite Eight run in 2014 that kicked off four consecutive NCAA tournament appearances. When you played Dayton under Miller, you knew the Flyers were coming to fight."

Will AG do the same in recruiting?
Old 05-17-2017, 11:40 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Two things:

First I believe AG will recruit top players from across the country, not just 3 star recruits. Course that will depend on how well he and staff do during this season.

Second: I truly believe Archie left for THE job too soon. His record was not better than Tom Crean's. Archie is good but until I see what he can do with more talent I will take a wait and see attitude. Archie needed to prove he could do it with a new class of players at UD. Could be wrong but he went from a no pressure job to a high pressure one.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-19-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 11:46 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post

Second: I truly believe Archie left for THE job too soon. His record was not better than Tom Crean's. Archie is good but until I see what he can do with more talent I will take a wait and see attitude. Archie needed to prove he could do it with a new class of players at UD. Could be wrong but he went from a no pressure job to a high pressure one.
This is the reason it was the right time for him to take the job. He got the job he wanted without proving he could do it with another class of players at UD. If he failed the second time at UD, he may not have gotten that job. If he succeeded with a second class of players at UD, my feeling about him would be different. After he left, I would have started the GoFundMe for his statue.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 11:52 AM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
"Could be wrong but he went from a no pressure job to a high pressure one."

LOL!

AM is a smart talented young coach ... but he is over his head with the political, social, communication, interpersonal skills needed at IU. Knowing basketball inside and out will not keep him at IU.

Since he is a smart guy .. he will eventually get it ... but he is in for a rocky road!!!
Perhaps now he will get a "coach" to coach him on how to succeed at IU!!!
Old 05-17-2017, 12:18 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Wow...a whole lot of pettiness toward a coach who took us places we've not seen in 50 years.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
cralford (05-17-2017), flyer016 (05-17-2017), flyerfanatic86 (05-17-2017), rollo (05-17-2017), The Fly (05-17-2017), TMPH66 (05-17-2017), zmz723 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 12:50 PM
Captain

LIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by marco red eagle View Post
Perhaps now he will get a "coach" to coach him on how to succeed at IU!!!
Could it be that the person you are referring to is in the fold already: John Miller?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:57 PM

Archie needs time at IU. Hopefully he will get the time but it isn't up to the AD, it's the fanbase. Had an IU alum who goes to the games (in his 60s) tell me that IU wasn't tolerant. He will need to win immediately.

I was sad to see him leave but I wish him luck.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (05-17-2017), Bob G (05-18-2017), Flyer 86 (05-19-2017), San Diego Flyer (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 01:53 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Wow...a whole lot of pettiness toward a coach who took us places we've not seen in 50 years.
Pettiness or realistic knowledge that AM is starting in a position where a large part of the fan base feel that an Indiana person should be their head coach and not Archie and he has to prove that he can win big sooner rather than later

Yes he did good things at UD but it works both ways as it was UD who took the chance to hire him as an unknown so he could achieve his dream. I don't wish him ill but I also don't owe him any loyalty.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (05-17-2017), CE80 (05-17-2017), IndianaFlyer (05-17-2017), priceg75 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Major General

Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
Pettiness or realistic knowledge that AM is starting in a position where a large part of the fan base feel that an Indiana person should be their head coach and not Archie and he has to prove that he can win big sooner rather than later

Yes he did good things at UD but it works both ways as it was UD who took the chance to hire him as an unknown so he could achieve his dream. I don't wish him ill but I also don't owe him any loyalty.
This...more pettiness (your second para). AM isn't asking for your loyalty yet you (and others) want the record to reflect that you no longer are loyal?

I was **** sure glad he was my coach when he was at UD! And I'm glad AG is my coach now!

I thought OP, BG, and Archie all met/exceeded expectations given the circumstances at the time. But I'm a UD alum/STH and my loyalty is to my school/team/coach...next man up (unless it's JOB)!
Old 05-17-2017, 03:18 PM

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
Indiana hasn't been a national player since RMK. He is not coming back. However, their AD made it clear the expectations have NOT changed. They expect final 4 AND a national championship.

That being said I think he had taken Dayton as far as he could. I don't know whether Anthony or anyone else can take it farther. Archie does not surround himself with future coaches.
Yes, the expectations are high, but he will be king in Indiana if he succeeds, which I think he will.

I think he could have taken Dayton farther over time, it takes time to build a program to be stronger.

The right coach can take UD farther.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:23 PM
Major General

priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
This...more pettiness (your second para). AM isn't asking for your loyalty yet you (and others) want the record to reflect that you no longer are loyal?
How is this petty? Nobody thinks Archie is asking for our loyalty, but I bet you money there will be a lot of threads about how he's doing. I felt more loyalty to Gregory even though he had taken us as far as he was capable than I do to Archie... because I felt like Gregory really loved being here.

Archie helped us, we helped Archie, the end. I don't feel like it's being petty to state one's feelings on the subject. Not everything always has to be sunbeams and lollipops.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (05-17-2017), IndianaFlyer (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 03:35 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Archie never really loved us the way that we loved him. But you know what? We never really loved him. He wasn't a lovable guy. We loved the parties he was able to take us to and the attention it garnered. We both have new interests. If AG is the one for us, it won't matter how Archie ends up.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:36 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, not pettiness in my opinion. He is no longer here so I just don't care how he does and I don't think he deserves a thread on the UD basketball board. How he does at IU is off topic, at best.
Mad Props to IndianaFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jerseyflyer09 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 04:20 PM
Major

cralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IndianaFlyer View Post
Nope, not pettiness in my opinion. He is no longer here so I just don't care how he does and I don't think he deserves a thread on the UD basketball board. How he does at IU is off topic, at best.
You sound like you feel scorned. There are a lot of threads on this board. You don't have to read one that seems to irritate you. There have been many coaches leave the program. He just happens to be one of the better.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:35 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Nope, not scorned at all. I liked him, if he is successful there good for him. Just don't feel like IU basketball deserves a thread on the UD board.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2017, 08:21 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
There was a paragraph about the Flyers in the article, therefore I would not consider the article to be off topic.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:33 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

No problem Northwest, your opinion is as valid as mine and I respect the opinion of all. I'm not trying to be negative, as has been pointed out I certainly don't have to read the thread.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2017, 08:36 PM
Major

cralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IndianaFlyer View Post
Nope, not scorned at all. I liked him, if he is successful there good for him. Just don't feel like IU basketball deserves a thread on the UD board.
Posted via Mobile Device
OK, I can understand that. I don't agree. He will always be someone I root for unless he is playing my Flyers. I don't expect to see that unless our paths cross in a tournament.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:20 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Redirecting...does anyone else think like I do that Patrick Ewing will be a total disaster at Georgetown?

He has no college coaching experience whatsoever. Yes, he has name recognition but that only goes so far. Posters on here worried about UD's ability to fire AG if things don't go well. How long would GTown stick with a legend? I think we're going to find out...
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
priceg75 (05-19-2017), rollo (05-18-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 10:35 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
You apparently don['t know or understand the difference between bitterness and facts.

His record at Dayton was not better than Tom Creans. Archie is a good coach but to take on IU at this stage in his career is a bit premature in my opinion.

As was pointed out in an article regarding coaching changes and AM in particular it was duly noted that Archie was able to achieve his players to buy into his defensive schemes. They noted that at IU you have NBA talent who feel they are ready for the NBA and will be a lot harder to sell them on full out defense. Time will tell, but AM was successful with the talent at UD, will he be as successful with more talented players at IU; we'll see. Jury is out.

Just ask Shaka Smart how things are going at Texas
Old 05-17-2017, 10:44 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
Redirecting...does anyone else think like I do that Patrick Ewing will be a total disaster at Georgetown?

He has no college coaching experience whatsoever. Yes, he has name recognition but that only goes so far. Posters on here worried about UD's ability to fire AG if things don't go well. How long would GTown stick with a legend? I think we're going to find out...
Patrick is a gamble, a huge one with a big upside. Name recognition. It was becoming apparent that no one wanted to take on the Thompson legacy at Georgetown.

Huge task, wish him well as I do Archie, but my opinion does not change on Archie till I see how he handles the more talented players and the rabid fan base. My IU fan is not ecstatic about the hire but is willing to support him....short term.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:47 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by springborofan View Post

This will be interesting to watch from afar.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:35 AM
Major General

You apparently don['t know or understand the difference between bitterness and facts.

His record at Dayton was not better than Tom Creans. Archie is a good coach but to take on IU at this stage in his career is a bit premature in my opinion.

As was pointed out in an article regarding coaching changes and AM in particular it was duly noted that Archie was able to achieve his players to buy into his defensive schemes. They noted that at IU you have NBA talent who feel they are ready for the NBA and will be a lot harder to sell them on full out defense. Time will tell, but AM was successful with the talent at UD, will he be as successful with more talented players at IU; we'll see. Jury is out.

Just ask Shaka Smart how things are going at Texas
You are a bag of contradictions. You "OPINE" that AM was premature to take the IU job, then state that "time will tell" and "jury is out".

And where are the facts? His record vs Crean? How does that translate into any success he will achieve? I'll answer that: it doesn't.
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
steve (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
You are a bag of contradictions. You "OPINE" that AM was premature to take the IU job, then state that "time will tell" and "jury is out".

And where are the facts? His record vs Crean? How does that translate into any success he will achieve? I'll answer that: it doesn't.
AM is more than ready to take the IU job....No written rule you need to have a stepping stone of jobs to get the dream/destination job. Again, many fail to see what they witnessed by AM was beyond belief, at least imho, based on the circumstances that hit him seemingly every year with short benches, lack of skilled players offensively,lack of size, injuries, suspensions, death of SM, etc. etc.....

The only thing that would have been icing on the cake and probably made even more people appreciate his tremendous accomplishments would have been a W over Wichita State and that was a game lost basically by around 7 total points being scored by them thru-out the game in less than than 3 seconds (3 at end of thehalf, terrible foul called on KD for 2 FT's as the shot clock was sounding, and a 4 step layup by their big man at the shot clock buzzer)......

Win THAT game and probably no way they beat Kentucky or even play them as well as WSU played them due to lack of size..
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 11:35 AM
General of the Air Force

Its quite simple if you can read. In my opinion I feel that Archie left too soon, don't know that he is ready for the IU fans and expectations. Someone stated it was time to take the job because it opened when it did, well true but is it a job he can sustain. Getting the job of his dreams and keeping it are two different animals. Again ask Shaka Smart how its going down in Texas.

I've stated Archie is a good coach but being a good coach may not be good enough for IU. AM taught good players how to play defense, well the question will be can he do the same with more talented players who think they are NBA ready. Archie vs Crean, are you serious, how will that translate into his success. You don't understand the passion and expectations at IU. They are not going to give him a honeymoon, they will expect results NCAA deep run and final four right out of the gate. They are hungry for the BK era to return and feel entitled.

So I am not giving AM a pass just because some feel he is one of the top upcoming coaches, he will have to prove it with top talent. Coaching 3 stars recruits/players is different from 4/5 stars. I could be wrong that is why the wait and see. We know he has the pedigree but is he ready for IU. Sean has yet to sniff the final four and their are rumblings out in Arizona.

I am willing to let it play out as it did for BG and Shaka Smart, but so far no cigar for either one. Archie may be different, time will tell.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:46 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by steve View Post
AM is more than ready to take the IU job....No written rule you need to have a stepping stone of jobs to get the dream/destination job. Again, many fail to see what they witnessed by AM was beyond belief, at least imho, based on the circumstances that hit him seemingly every year with short benches, lack of skilled players offensively,lack of size, injuries, suspensions, death of SM, etc. etc.....

The only thing that would have been icing on the cake and probably made even more people appreciate his tremendous accomplishments would have been a W over Wichita State and that was a game lost basically by around 7 total points being scored by them thru-out the game in less than than 3 seconds (3 at end of thehalf, terrible foul called on KD for 2 FT's as the shot clock was sounding, and a 4 step layup by their big man at the shot clock buzzer)......

Win THAT game and probably no way they beat Kentucky or even play them as well as WSU played them due to lack of size..
Again being more than ready to TAKE the IU job and sustaining that job is two different animals. Yes he earned his wings so to speak but can he continue to fly. That is where my question is. BG was ready, Shaka Smart was ready, neither of them have hit their mark. SS is still on the job so maybe he can still turn it around.

And where did I say that a candidate needed several stepping stones, geesh some people put words where they weren't any.

I'm not against AM or his success. I want to see both BG and AM succeed, it makes our program look that much better. There were a lot of expectations from MU fans that BG was the guy to take TI place at MU, they aren't feeling that way now.

Many posters here weren't too excited about the hire of AG. My gut feeling is AG will surpass BG and AMs success. Ok now I'll take off my red and blue glasses.

Its why the play/coach the games. It don't matter what you've done it the past, its what you do NOW. Let the games and coaching begin.

I'll follow AM like I have/do BG and SS.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:29 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
There is nothing wrong with being ambitious. Frankly, BG and AM were both MORE ambitious than the university. The university has to start thinking more like a championship organization. UD is getting there thanks to the ambition of these coaches

If you think you are good and top notch, then you want to be where the best are. I can't fault either coach.

If AG does not talk about winning A10 championships, sweet 16s, Final Fours and championship games, I will be disappointed. I expect him to drive the team and university towards those goals.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:31 PM
Major General

to take on IU at this stage in his career is a bit premature in my opinion
Again being more than ready to TAKE the IU job and sustaining that job is two different animals
Sooooo, which is it?

TAKE ON the job or SUSTAIN IT?
Old 05-18-2017, 12:46 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Again being more than ready to TAKE the IU job and sustaining that job is two different animals. Yes he earned his wings so to speak but can he continue to fly. That is where my question is. BG was ready, Shaka Smart was ready, neither of them have hit their mark. SS is still on the job so maybe he can still turn it around.

And where did I say that a candidate needed several stepping stones, geesh some people put words where they weren't any.

I'm not against AM or his success. I want to see both BG and AM succeed, it makes our program look that much better. There were a lot of expectations from MU fans that BG was the guy to take TI place at MU, they aren't feeling that way now.

Many posters here weren't too excited about the hire of AG. My gut feeling is AG will surpass BG and AMs success. Ok now I'll take off my red and blue glasses.

Its why the play/coach the games. It don't matter what you've done it the past, its what you do NOW. Let the games and coaching begin.

I'll follow AM like I have/do BG and SS.
You're all over the place here. Not ready, more than ready, no guaranteed success, etc. Which is it cause I feel like the Aflac duck here in the Yogi Berra commercials.Look, nobody is guaranteed success not named Urban Meyer, Nick saban, Bill Self, Coach K, and maybe a couple others but you don't get more prepared than "being more than ready" (in your words). You are simply NOT, imho, giving AM the credit and success here at UD under unfortunate extreme scenarios almost every year. The guy takes no prisoners. the guy is a bulldog and once he can get better players and bigger players then watch out....

Where and how exactly was BG ready to take a job bigger than UD? The guy couldn't do better than .500 in the A10. Couldn't wait to run him out of town from a coaching standpoint as the program could NOT get over the hump and players were not developing properly.
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 01:03 PM
General of the Air Force

Sooooo, which is it?

TAKE ON the job or SUSTAIN IT?
Guess you can't read between the lines. I said it was a bit premature as I do not feel he is ready for the IU rabid fan base who will give him a short leash. So my main point which I apparently have to spell out in English is that I don't feel he is ready for the long haul. To take the job as I said is one thing but to sustain it is another. He got the job and if that is all he was after is to put IU on his resume then well fine he did that. But to me it is more important to be ready to take the team to the promised land and that is where I have my concerns.

As bleacher reports put it; to train the dogs at UD to play defense and win games with lesser talent and short bench is one thing. To get players who may be one and done to buy into all that defense (when not needed in the NBA) will be an entirely different challange.

Tom Crean could not get the players to play defense and it hurt their wins losses. Now along comes Archie a top up and coming young coach who is not an alum of IU who is going to try and install the same defense that was so successful at UD.....lots of luck with that. Even his brother Sean had more success getting his X players to play his style (defense) than the one and done NBA types at AU.

When I see a coach, one I'm loyal to take on a new job I want them to succeed not just get the job and get the pink slip a few years later. That is why I feel his taking the job is a bit premature in his young career. As I stated, he will not get a honeymoon at IU. My IU friend is pretty much representative of IU fans. First they wanted a IU grad, didn't get it so now they have to hope those who chose Archie did so wisely, otherwise the catcalls will start, the seat will get warmer and so forth.

So the difference between me and some on here is that I am looking at the bigger picture, getting the job is fine but keeping it is prime. That is why I will follow him and wish him well but reserve judgement till I see if he can deliver to IU fans what he was able to deliver to UD fans. Ergo the jury is out.

If his dream was to get the IU job period, accomplished. If his dream is to be the next BK (which is where is success or failure will be measured) then the future needs to be played out. Remember short leash, no honeymoon.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:05 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by steve View Post
You're all over the place here. Not ready, more than ready, no guaranteed success, etc. Which is it cause I feel like the Aflac duck here in the Yogi Berra commercials.Look, nobody is guaranteed success not named Urban Meyer, Nick saban, Bill Self, Coach K, and maybe a couple others but you don't get more prepared than "being more than ready" (in your words). You are simply NOT, imho, giving AM the credit and success here at UD under unfortunate extreme scenarios almost every year. The guy takes no prisoners. the guy is a bulldog and once he can get better players and bigger players then watch out....

Where and how exactly was BG ready to take a job bigger than UD? The guy couldn't do better than .500 in the A10. Couldn't wait to run him out of town from a coaching standpoint as the program could NOT get over the hump and players were not developing properly.
Seems a couple of you can't get the main point, sorry its not that difficult really. I'm on target if you can read it in its entirety. You are welcome to your opinion on BG and whatever, I just don't agree with you.

Sorry its so difficult for you to grasp.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:37 PM

Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,865 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Miller, nor any coach in his position, cannot wait when the job they want, and are offered comes open. He had to take it now, or maybe forever hold his piece. Archie felt he was ready, the school he wanted offered big bucks, so what's to debate?
Old 05-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
There is nothing wrong with being ambitious. Frankly, BG and AM were both MORE ambitious than the university. The university has to start thinking more like a championship organization. UD is getting there thanks to the ambition of these coaches

If you think you are good and top notch, then you want to be where the best are. I can't fault either coach.

If AG does not talk about winning A10 championships, sweet 16s, Final Fours and championship games, I will be disappointed. I expect him to drive the team and university towards those goals.
And here I thought that by offering AM a top ten salary, and all the support he could ask for that the Administration was acting like a championship organization.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:26 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Miller, nor any coach in his position, cannot wait when the job they want, and are offered comes open. He had to take it now, or maybe forever hold his piece. Archie felt he was ready, the school he wanted offered big bucks, so what's to debate?
That's fine if that is all there is to it. But taking IU with all that goes with it is no easy chore. So several of you think because the opportunity opened up he should have taken it, which he did. But what happens if you don't meet their expectations and the leash is short then you find yourself on the out side with far less opportunities, vs waiting for more experience to survive that opportunity and become the next BK.

To me he will either be the savior to bring back their golden years or just another so so coach who couldn't deliver. All I'm saying is I felt he needed more time to prepare for the IU job. Hope I'm wrong but looking back at OP, BG don't see where their moves worked out for the better.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:31 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
And here I thought that by offering AM a top ten salary, and all the support he could ask for that the Administration was acting like a championship organization.
They didn't give him a 15/15 schedule. Lol.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Major

Hope I'm wrong but looking back at OP, BG don't see where their moves worked out for the better.
I would not put OP or BG in the same coaching class as Archie. Definitely not BG. I am not sure why but Oliver never seemed adequate in the tournament. They both gave UD a needed boost but were never considered at the same level. I like Archie's chances of making it as a successful coach.
Mad Props to cralford For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 08:57 AM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cralford View Post
I would not put OP or BG in the same coaching class as Archie. Definitely not BG. I am not sure why but Oliver never seemed adequate in the tournament. They both gave UD a needed boost but were never considered at the same level. I like Archie's chances of making it as a successful coach.
I agree. Oliver is a very good coach, but struggled recruiting and getting the right assistants to recruit well.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:51 AM

I must have missed this back on May 7...James Blackmon Junior, of Indiana, decided to stay in the NBA Draft, that brought IU down to 13 scholarship players.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...ying-in-draft/

And Robert Johnson decided Monday that he is returning to IU, so their roster is full at 13.

http://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2...r-senior-year/

Seniors
3★SFCollin Hartman(6-7 220)

Juniors
3.3★PGJosh Newkirk(6-1 185)
4★SGRobert Johnson(6-3 195)
3★SFFreddie McSwain, Jr.(6-6 215)
2★PFTim Priller(6-9 255)

Sophomores
3.7★PFJuwan Morgan(6-8 230)

Freshmen
4★SGCurtis 'Cujo' Jones(6-4 175)
3★SGDevonte Green(6-3 186)
2.3★SGGrant Gelon(6-5 195)
4★PFDe'Ron Davis(6-10 240)

2017 Recruits
3.3★SGAljami 'Al' Durham(6-4 180)Committed
3.7★SFJustin Smith(6-7 215)Signed
2★PFClifton Moore, Jr.(6-10 190)Committed

Last edited by ud2; 05-24-2017 at 12:53 AM..
Old 05-24-2017, 02:34 AM
General of the Air Force

I agree. Oliver is a very good coach, but struggled recruiting and getting the right assistants to recruit well.
If he could win a tourney game NIT or NCAA I'd agree.....but the records don't lie
Old 05-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I must have missed this back on May 7...James Blackmon Junior, of Indiana, decided to stay in the NBA Draft, that brought IU down to 13 scholarship players.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...ying-in-draft/

And Robert Johnson decided Monday that he is returning to IU, so their roster is full at 13.

http://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2...r-senior-year/

Seniors
3★SFCollin Hartman(6-7 220)

Juniors
3.3★PGJosh Newkirk(6-1 185)
4★SGRobert Johnson(6-3 195)
3★SFFreddie McSwain, Jr.(6-6 215)
2★PFTim Priller(6-9 255)

Sophomores
3.7★PFJuwan Morgan(6-8 230)

Freshmen
4★SGCurtis 'Cujo' Jones(6-4 175)
3★SGDevonte Green(6-3 186)
2.3★SGGrant Gelon(6-5 195)
4★PFDe'Ron Davis(6-10 240)

2017 Recruits
3.3★SGAljami 'Al' Durham(6-4 180)Committed
3.7★SFJustin Smith(6-7 215)Signed
2★PFClifton Moore, Jr.(6-10 190)Committed
IU now is down to 12 scholarship players with transfer of one of their Fr who didn't play much:
http://www.insidethehall.com/2017/05...-from-indiana/
Mad Props to shapanud For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by shapanud View Post
IU now is down to 12 scholarship players with transfer of one of their Fr who didn't play much:
http://www.insidethehall.com/2017/05...-from-indiana/
Some talk in the comments about grabbing Nahziah Carter now.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:47 AM

First big recruiting test coming up for Archie. He is going hard after #3 in next year's class, SG from New Albany, In, Romeo Langford.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
If he could win a tourney game NIT or NCAA I'd agree.....but the records don't lie
Oliver has been good at resurrecting programs. Lack of wins in tournaments doesn't negate that significant achievement.
Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 06:25 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
People don't realize no one is entitled. It's about the coach. Making a final 4 (let alone winning the national championship) is hard. It takes skill and luck.

I don't know whether Archie will succeed. Think he is a better coach but not near the recruiter Sean is. Sean has never made a final 4.

I was with ya, until the last sentence.

With Svoboda, Giannaxzxzxz Greek guy, point guard and a few others There was tremendous upside. Just didn't want to wait. Had some injuries (Miller and Ryan Mikesell) and obviously the BIG Job came a calling.

It's possible we could have gone further next two years.
Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (05-27-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 06:27 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
How HIGH was Naz Carter ranked?
Old 05-24-2017, 06:55 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
Oliver has been good at resurrecting programs. Lack of wins in tournaments doesn't negate that significant achievement.
He resurrected UD and we're grateful for that and should have received his due credit just as he should be held accountable for NO tournament wins. Besides UD whom else did he resurect...certainly not DePaul.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Radford and Old Dominion
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (05-25-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 07:20 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
As noted Radford, Old Dominion and UD. One could argue Clemson. He met his match at DePaul. Glad it wasn't at UD.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2017, 07:42 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I thought OP beat LIU-Brooklyn and high scoring guard Charles Jones in the NIT
Old 05-24-2017, 07:50 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
What Archie accomplished at UD is nothing short of remarkable. First, there was the elite 8 run after starting the conference season 1-5. Then there was the year that two numbskulls got kicked off the team and he took a team of six guys with no one over 6'6" to the tourney and won two ncaa games. Then for an encore he overcame the Dyshawn Pierre suspension and made the tourney again. Then making the tournament again after a heartbreaking death of a 7' center, overcoming at least a six game absence of pollard and a near season-ending injury of our only other low post threat. The guy worked miracles and should garner our respect.

There is no shame in losing our coach to Indiana. And we shouldn't pretend that none of us would do the same. He didn't go to school at UD, he didn't grow up in Dayton or even in Ohio. He had no reason to value UD over a school with a much larger stature. The guy has a job to do and a goal he wants to reach. Don't hold it against him when 99% of the people on here would do the same damm thing.
14 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer'95 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (05-25-2017), cralford (05-26-2017), Flyer14 (05-24-2017), flyerfanatic86 (05-25-2017), fuz_forward (05-25-2017), jack72 (05-25-2017), NorthwestFlyer (05-25-2017), OSU Flyer (05-24-2017), SeasonTicketFan (05-24-2017), shapanud (05-24-2017), TMPH66 (05-24-2017), ud2 (05-25-2017), UD90 (05-24-2017), WarriorPride (05-24-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 07:46 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
There is no shame in losing our coach to Indiana. And we shouldn't pretend that none of us would do the same. He didn't go to school at UD, he didn't grow up in Dayton or even in Ohio. He had no reason to value UD over a school with a much larger stature. The guy has a job to do and a goal he wants to reach. Don't hold it against him when 99% of the people on here would do the same damm thing.
I don't understand what is so hard for some of you people to get about this. I don't think anybody begrudges Archie the right to work at the most successful, top level of his profession.

What I do begrudge him is saying "I am just interested in coaching at Dayton for as long as they'll have me." Don't say that. Don't even word it like that when that is NOT your intention. You are lying.

Point 2: now I'm supposed to care about what he does at Indiana? No thank you. Good luck to him, but I didn't like the Hoosiers before and I'm not going to start now just because a successful former coach is there. This isn't Donoher coaching there. If he is successful, great for him, and I don't wish them to dissolve into nothingness while he is there. Just don't expect me to care what they do. I feel about Indiana as I've always felt about them: they suck.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (05-25-2017), FlyerinChicago (05-25-2017), Gazoo (05-27-2017), TerryK_67 (05-25-2017), TXFlyerFan (05-25-2017), UDTradition (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
What I do begrudge him is saying "I am just interested in coaching at Dayton for as long as they'll have me." Don't say that. Don't even word it like that when that is NOT your intention. You are lying.
Maybe he really did honestly feel that way at that point in time, but then, things changed: a really prestigious job is offered to him, bigger payday, etc. Maybe he was really grateful to just have a great, stable hc job at UD, and he was happy and content, and that was all he wanted at the time.

UD was his first hc job. He goes from being a relative unknown to a total star in only about 3 or 4 years, his first 2 years at UD were not really bigtime-star-quality. Years 3 to 6 set him apart. That sort of ascent to fame can be really tough to handle, and it is a lot to take in.

Last edited by ud2; 05-25-2017 at 09:18 AM..
Old 05-25-2017, 09:36 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe he really did honestly feel that way at that point in time, but then, things changed: a really prestigious job is offered to him, bigger payday, etc. Maybe he was really grateful to just have a great, stable hc job at UD, and he was happy and content, and that was all he wanted at the time.

UD was his first hc job. He goes from being a relative unknown to a total star in only about 3 or 4 years, his first 2 years at UD were not really bigtime-star-quality. Years 3 to 6 set him apart. That sort of ascent to fame can be really tough to handle, and it is a lot to take in.
While he may have felt that way at the time, his contract was not structured that way, and that is the important thing. I have no problem with AM taking the IU job. It was one of the few schools that were listed in his contract that he would leave for. It opened up and he left, Had IU not lost a key player to injury, TC would probably still be at IU and AM at UD. Things didn't work out that way and life goes on. We landed on our feet.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:16 AM
General of the Air Force

I don't have a crystal ball so can't predict how successful either coach will be at their new jobs. And yes his constant assertion that he would stay at UD as long as they would have him is something to cringe about, but I don't despise him for taking the IU job, just the way it went down when he was turning down all other offers reassuring everyone he would stay at UD for as long as they would have him. Meanwhile we learn that he was actively pursuing the job at Illinois and would have taken it if Underwood hadn't surfaced. By the way all this way going on while in Az away from the eyes of Dayton.

I was just surprised he took the IU job and kinda blind sided taken him at his word, but I don't begrudge him if was one of his dream jobs. Now that the dust has settled I believe we came out as well as or better than most would have expected. There seems to be a new air of confidence with AG and staff regarding recruiting. AM stated UD was hard to recruit for. I get the feel AG and staff see it differently and we may begin to get some of the 4 and 5 star recruits we've longed for.

At this point there is a lot to be excited about....now to watch it unfold. So far both seem off to a good start.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:28 AM
General of the Air Force

I don't have a crystal ball so can't predict how successful either coach will be at their new jobs. And yes his constant assertion that he would stay at UD as long as they would have him is something to cringe about, but I don't despise him for taking the IU job, just the way it went down when he was turning down all other offers reassuring everyone he would stay at UD for as long as they would have him. Meanwhile we learn that he was actively pursuing the job at Illinois and would have taken it if Underwood hadn't surfaced. By the way all this way going on while in Az away from the eyes of Dayton.

I was just surprised he took the IU job and kinda blind sided taken him at his word, but I don't begrudge him if was one of his dream jobs. Now that the dust has settled I believe we came out as well as or better than most would have expected. There seems to be a new air of confidence with AG and staff regarding recruiting. AM stated UD was hard to recruit for. I get the feel AG and staff see it differently and we may begin to get some of the 4 and 5 star recruits we've longed for.

At this point there is a lot to be excited about....now to watch it unfold. So far both seem off to a good start.
Was Illinois on his list?
Old 05-25-2017, 11:36 AM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Desperately clinging to people's words is the easiest way to get burned in life. Especially of you're a jock-sniffer...or buying a used car.
jack72 (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 01:29 PM
Captain

Now that AM is gone .. what colleges could he leave for .... under his contract .. without breaking it?

UD62 said IU was one of them.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Desperately clinging to people's words is the easiest way to get burned in life. Especially of you're a jock-sniffer...or buying a used car.
Or politicians or the media or actors or ex-wives...
Old 05-25-2017, 03:01 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy

AM took the IU job because of two reasons. First is money! If anyone thinks differently they are fooling themselves even though UD made a great last pitch! Secondly, AM felt his ceiling would be higher because it is easier to not only make the NCAA tournament year after year by being able to recruit 4 and 5 star recruits but also to make Elite 8's, Final 4's and maybe several National Championships!

That being said, AG and his staff have done an outstanding job retaining current players and 3 out of 5 of the incoming recruits. Also, considering the late start, we should be extremely happy with Jalen Crutcher and Obadiah Toppin.

Next season, without considering any potential transfers, we only have one scholarship available (Darrell Davis) so how about AG's first 4 star recruit being Antwann Jones? We have offered, I only hope he accepts!
Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
While he may have felt that way at the time, his contract was not structured that way, and that is the important thing. I have no problem with AM taking the IU job. It was one of the few schools that were listed in his contract that he would leave for. It opened up and he left, Had IU not lost a key player to injury, TC would probably still be at IU and AM at UD. Things didn't work out that way and life goes on. We landed on our feet.
AM was reportedly offered a top 10?(approximately?)compensation package.

Somebody posted on here that AM said that it is going to get increasingly difficult to schedule p5 teams, since the p5 leagues are going to 20 game league schedules. I think this was part of the problem.

UD needs to partner with more non-p5, high majors like SMC for more home and home series.

The p5 20 game league schedules are destroying the non-p5/Cinderella aspect of college basketball.

The p5 are trying to make the p5 as the major leagues and trying to make everybody else as the minor leagues.

Keep rooting for the Fox Sports tv deal with the BE to crash and burn.

Last edited by ud2; 05-25-2017 at 03:37 PM..
Old 05-25-2017, 04:31 PM
General of the Air Force

AM was reportedly offered a top 10?(approximately?)compensation package.

Somebody posted on here that AM said that it is going to get increasingly difficult to schedule p5 teams, since the p5 leagues are going to 20 game league schedules. I think this was part of the problem.

UD needs to partner with more non-p5, high majors like SMC for more home and home series.

The p5 20 game league schedules are destroying the non-p5/Cinderella aspect of college basketball.

The p5 are trying to make the p5 as the major leagues and trying to make everybody else as the minor leagues.

Keep rooting for the Fox Sports tv deal with the BE to crash and burn.
The BE deal with Fox Sports crashing and burning is not going to help UD. It is just going to put the BE teams on our side of the divide between the haves and the have nots.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD62 (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 09:41 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
The BE deal with Fox Sports crashing and burning is not going to help UD. It is just going to put the BE teams on our side of the divide between the haves and the have nots.
Well at least we'd have more company
Old 05-25-2017, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Maybe if the tv deal tanks, they re-negotiate and add more teams to the BE.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:07 AM
General of the Air Force

In my perfect world Dayton goes on to win 4 National Championship in a row, the BE comes begging UD to join and UD says no thanks we don't want to share with you
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 07:38 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
It's not as sad as a guy calling himself king of an online message board, I'll grant you, but sure it is somewhat naive.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 07:52 AM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
*All Kings!

It's not as sad as a guy calling himself king of an online message board, I'll grant you, but sure it is somewhat naive.
It's not easy being me...or LeBron...or Pete Rose*. Win or lose, greatness has it detractors. Unless they want something from me...which is typically the case.

King Rollo the King...OUT!
priceg75 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 08:35 AM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
AM took the IU job because of two reasons. First is money! If anyone thinks differently they are fooling themselves even though UD made a great last pitch! Secondly, AM felt his ceiling would be higher because it is easier to not only make the NCAA tournament year after year by being able to recruit 4 and 5 star recruits but also to make Elite 8's, Final 4's and maybe several National Championships!

That being said, AG and his staff have done an outstanding job retaining current players and 3 out of 5 of the incoming recruits. Also, considering the late start, we should be extremely happy with Jalen Crutcher and Obadiah Toppin.

Next season, without considering any potential transfers, we only have one scholarship available (Darrell Davis) so how about AG's first 4 star recruit being Antwann Jones? We have offered, I only hope he accepts!
Which Antwan Jones? Please provide a high school or home town reference. There are many Antwan Jones's on the web.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2017, 08:47 AM
General of the Air Force

That does nothing to help UD vs the P5.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2017, 10:09 AM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
Which Antwan Jones? Please provide a high school or home town reference. There are many Antwan Jones's on the web.
Posted via Mobile Device
From Florida, 4 Star guard. http://247sports.com/Player/Antwann-Jones-84365
Old 05-26-2017, 01:27 PM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
Smile

I often thought when Archie left I would be interested in rooting him on in his new locale.

I am finding that nothing could be further from the truth. Don't care even a tiny bit about him or Indiana or how Indiana will face adversity under Archie.

Never liked Indiana basketball and him going there hasn't changed that one bit. Indiana and their fans are like the St. Louis Cardinals of baseball and their fans... they are entitled, spoiled and act like they are God's gift to the sport and will be more than happy to explain why they are allowed to act this way. So whatever. Keep on keepin' on.
Maybe Cardinal fans act that way because they have won 11 World Series titles...second only to the Yankees
Mad Props to Cardsflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Showme Flyer (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 02:26 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Antwann (with 2 n's) Jones Jr. from Oak Ridge High School in Tampa, FL. ESPN listed it as Orlando, FL. See the 2018 Recruiting Thread if you want to know more about him. Even better check out his Ultimate Sauce video highlights on YouTube.com.

Last edited by CvilleFlyer; 05-26-2017 at 02:29 PM..
Old 05-26-2017, 05:18 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Antwann (with 2 n's) Jones Jr. from Oak Ridge High School in Tampa, FL. ESPN listed it as Orlando, FL. See the 2018 Recruiting Thread if you want to know more about him. Even better check out his Ultimate Sauce video highlights on YouTube.com.
ESPN has him at 6'6" 205 and as a 5 star. But, Dayton is listed As one of his choices.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2017, 10:47 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
Wow. That kid is filthy. The scouting site lists him as likely headed to syracuse. Probably a long shot but fun to watch nonetheless. Ridiculous handle and crossover, even in traffic. Super talented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqQ3Nni9FoM
Old 05-27-2017, 07:45 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
He had to take it now, or maybe forever hold his piece.
I didn't know AM was a big concealed carry type of guy.

Secondly, AM felt his ceiling would be higher
And, his basement will be dug deeper.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-27-2017), Class of 73 Alum (05-27-2017), jack72 (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 08:59 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Cardsflyer View Post
Maybe Cardinal fans act that way because they have won 11 World Series titles...second only to the Yankees
Which is a big reason there aren't a lot of billikin fans. Larger market then Dayton but they have a champion baseball team and SLU is far from that.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:06 AM
Colonel

ESPN has him at 6'6" 205 and as a 5 star. But, Dayton is listed As one of his choices.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh boy, i've been watching video of this Antwann Jones. I like this kids prospects, a lot. He dribbles with his left hand even though he is right handed on drives to the left side. He does not appear to be a great leaper but great jump stroke. We need to recruit this one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2017, 12:40 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Anthony Grant proved at Alabama he could pull a 4-star or 2. Not sure about a 5-star. Dont sign him up for Syracuse yet.