Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: Does UD win?
DuhMayo is right...can't pass to yourself...no basket...VCU wins 3 23.08%
DH-C is right...you can - sometimes - pass to yourself...basket counts...UD wins 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,914 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Thursday's You Make the Call - last of 2014...Does the game winning shot count??

'Insanity' is the only word that accurately describes what has occurred in the last 31 seconds and as the sold-out UD Arena sits in total silence, stunned at the latest brain-fart by everyone's favorite target - Devon Scott - our VD Flyers slowly creep back onto the floor needing a IPFW-like miracle shot to pull out a 'W' against the much hated, and very pumped up, VCU squad.

Playing with a 3-point lead and the ball after the last gaffe by DuhMayo and crew, all looked well. And as VD passed the ball around the perimeter while VCU frantically and desperately tried for a steal, the Flyer-Fanatic's screams and cheers were deafening. Unable to steal the ball, VCU resorted to fouling...so with 12 seconds left, Junior forward Devon Scott was grabbed and sent to the line for the 1-and-1 with our Flyers leading 88-85.

As Devon walks to the free throw line the crowd nervously settles down into their seats and with fingers crossed, hopes he can make the 1st shot of the 1-and-1. Their collective wishes aren't granted as Devon barely hits rim. With the rebound in hand and the clock ticking, VCU hurries the ball (0:10) down court looking for an open 3-pointer (0:09). Devon, p*ssed he missed the free throw, hustles downcourt looking for redemption...and as VCU's Doug Brooks lines up (0:08) and shoots a '3' (0:07), Scott flies by him looking for a block! !!!

As Brooks goes flying into his bench due to getting flattened by Scott, the game-tying shot (0:06) hits nothing but the bottom of the net! The VCU bench explodes and as T-Val reports the foul to the scorers table, VD head coach Archie Miller substitutes freshman Steve McElvene in for the troubled, discouraged and confused #40.

Brooks makes the free throw and with an 89-88 lead, VCU throws their patented 'Havoc' defense at the home team. Without hesitation Sibert fires a half-court pass to Pierre who uses his speed, experience and 21" pythons to drive thru the defense as he looks for a shot. With 0:04 on the clock, VCU double teams Pierre who picks up his dribble...unable to get off a shot or pass (0:03) he ducks his head forward and between the VCU defenders and - not knowing what else to do - passes the ball off the backboard back to himself! With 0:02 left he grabs the ball, takes 1 dribble and slams the ball home just before the game clock hits 0:00!

The sold out Arena explodes...the student section - all 125 of them - storms the court...screams of 'WE ARE.....V - D' are echoing off the walls, vibrating the arena like a slinky! "VD WINS...VD WIN....VD WINS" screams Mike Hartshock..."FIRE UP THE BUS" yells and un-named fan behind Bucky, who is chugging a cold Bud Light supplied to him by T-Val's latest obsession - the tipsy DCC vixen - Kin.ky Sex!

Unheard, but not unnoticed by your King, was the sound of a whistle coming from the center of the bedlam at midcourt. With is arms waving, the infamous Joey MuhMayo streaks toward the scorer's table and orders the official scorer to repeatedly hit the buzzer and announce over the PA for the "fans to please remove themselves from the court and players return to their benches!"

Miller is livid....Smart is livid x 2! DuhMayo gathers them both, along with DJ-C and T-Val and explains that the shot doesn't count!!! Miller has to be restrained from attacking Duh-Mayo as Smart pumps his fists in his face, reminding him to take the advice Miller had given him just before OT to "lose like a man!". Adding to the chaos is the communication intern who mistakenly hits the game intro button and with Miller and Smart jawing at each other face-to-face, Michael Buffer's DING, DING, DING....LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUMMMMBLLLLLLE" is blared over the loudspeakers! King Rollo, seated in his Royal Throne, chuckles at the irony of it all...all the while wishing Frederick would come home.

So while security splits up Miller and Smart, Bucky sucks down another one of Kin.ky's beers and as the Arena slowly calms down, the refs discuss the situation! DuhMayo says that Pierre threw the ball against the backboard, and illegally passed the ball to himself...no basket...VCU wins. DJ-C says the pass - like the airballed shot earlier - is legal since it hit the backboard before Pierre retrieved it....T-Val - distracted by the Bucky's flirtatious moves on Kin.Ky - quickly states that a "pass is a pass, a shot is a shot...the basket shouldn't count and Bucky's hitting on my b*tch...I'm outta here!" UGH!!

So the call comes down to you...again.

Good luck! YMtC's will continue next May. Ciao!

Last edited by rollo; 07-29-2014 at 05:23 PM..
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Major

Fair34 is just really niceFair34 is just really niceFair34 is just really niceFair34 is just really nice
you can pass to yourself off the offensive glass, but not the defensive glass.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:57 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fair34 View Post
you can pass to yourself off the offensive glass, but not the defensive glass.

Maybe...maybe not....But playing devil's advocate, can you pick up your dribble, pass to yourself off the glass and then dribble again? Hmmmm.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Colonel

udstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud of
i know you can pass to yourself in the nba off the glass, and I'm assuming it's the same in college.

Last year James Johnson posterized Matt Barnes with a self off the backboard alley-oop dunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNyNf4Fd86w#t=18

Last edited by udstevied_D87; 07-25-2014 at 11:48 AM..
Old 07-24-2014, 04:53 PM
Major

Fair34 is just really niceFair34 is just really niceFair34 is just really niceFair34 is just really nice
Originally Posted by udstevied_D87 View Post
i know you can pass to yourself in the nba off the glass in the NBA, and I'm assuming it's the same in college.

Last year James Johnson posterized Matt Barnes with a self off the backboard alley-oop dunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNyNf4Fd86w#t=18
I saw Donald Smith and Phil Lmpkin do it several times in high school and have seen it done by players in the NBA as well.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:59 PM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
I bet the key is "...grabs the ball, takes one dribble and..."

Probably ok to pass the ball to yourself off the backboard, but grabbing it and taking another dribble sounds like a travel.

Sadly, I have to say the Flyers lose this call...

However, there must be some angle that lets them win somehow! Come on Rollo, don't leave us with a loss!
Old 07-25-2014, 02:07 PM

Generally speaking, you cannot pass the ball to yourself in basketball. However there is one sentence in Rule 4-5? that says "a player may not be the first to touch his own pass unless the ball touches his backboard, basket ring or another player."

So if anyone gets trapped and has picked up their dribble, they are allowed to throw it off the back of a defender, their own rim or, as in this case, the backboard.

So Pierre's dunk counts, UD beats VCU and everyone - tirebiter! - goes home happy...except Joey DeMayo who proved over and over in this game that he's in the wrong line of employment.

I must be off...
Old 07-25-2014, 09:18 PM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
I knew in my heart Rollo would come through with a win somehow!

Thanks for the offseason entertainment (and education.)

Now, let's get this next season started!

When do the preseason magazines come out?
Mad Props to tirebiter For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (07-25-2014)