Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-16-2021, 02:24 AM
1st Lieutenant

CJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud of
Player series, Part 11: Koby Brea

Koby Brea, 6-6, 195 pounds, age 18.9 (DOB 11-6-02)
Monsignor Scanlan HS (NYC), U-17 Dominican national team … unranked by 247
Wore #4 for Dayton in 20-21 … Entering Year 2 of CBB / Year 2 at UD
14.1 minutes pg … 2.9 ppg, 1.8 reb, 0.4 ast, 0.6 TOpg
40.0% FG … 35.5% 3PT … 66.7% FT … 77.5% of FGA were 3s.

Despite 4 true freshmen coming in, Brea is only 45 days shy of still being the youngest player this year.
To recap last year — Brea didn’t play in UD’s first five games … Then in the next 7 games, with Blakney all or mostly out, he got 18 minutes per game but averaged only 2.4 pts, 2.1 reb. … Then of the next 8 games, he only played in 6, and usually only about 5 minutes. … Finally in the last four, he was back to 20 minutes per game and did something with it, averaging 6 pts, 3.3 reb. In those two conference tournament games, he basically played over Weaver, who barely got on the floor.
It’s hard to know what we have in Brea yet. He only took 40 shots last year, and 31 of them were 3s. He was a skinny, green, barely 18-year-old guard on a team with Crutcher, Watson, Chatman and Weaver. It almost looked like when he was running cuts and flashing to spots that he didn’t expect to get the ball much. He’s fairly tall and long, which is nice. But it looked like he was still learning where to be on defense a little bit last year (not shocking). I wish I had a better sense of his future, but I really just don’t know.
VIDEOS
Not much from last year. You can see a fair amount of Brea in the first few minutes of this 20-minute UD-Memphis highlight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0U_yVXvuwA
11-minute feature video all about Brea, filmed maybe summer of 2020, mainly valuable for hearing him talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt9WtTb8OO8
1-minute HS senior highlight tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX8R4frfbzE

Last edited by CJ#4; 08-16-2021 at 03:52 PM..
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CJ#4 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (08-16-2021), FLYER5 (08-18-2021), Jeff (08-16-2021), MikeFlyer (08-16-2021), San Diego Flyer (08-16-2021), springborofan (08-16-2021), The Fly (08-16-2021), TommyGola (08-16-2021)
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2021, 10:59 AM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
I was at the final game of the season, against Memphis. Brea handled the ball, a lot. He seemed capable.

Before the game, in practice, the team had a slam dunking show-off. The players put on a big sweat. I wish coaches would step-in and stop these youthful demonstrations of exuberance. I always figure that the players will have tired legs after expending all that energy. In the game, Dayton did not seem to have any spark. I think that they wasted energy in the dunking demonstration.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Buckleyma For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sid Louick (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 11:05 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm the most excited about Brea out of this class because of how much the staff trusted him. Not only to get minutes but they even ran plays to get him looks at the 3. They wanted him to shoot. He was even trusted to handle the ball sometimes as Buckleyma mentioned above.

Also exciting and perhaps most important is that he has a new hairstyle. Look good, play good.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Monster Man (08-16-2021), rollo (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 11:24 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
I was at the final game of the season, against Memphis. Brea handled the ball, a lot. He seemed capable.

Before the game, in practice, the team had a slam dunking show-off. The players put on a big sweat. I wish coaches would step-in and stop these youthful demonstrations of exuberance. I always figure that the players will have tired legs after expending all that energy. In the game, Dayton did not seem to have any spark. I think that they wasted energy in the dunking demonstration.
Posted via Mobile Device

They did the same thing Obi the season prior, never worried about his "spark" during the game.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:17 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
I’m really excited about the upcoming season for Koby. If you watch him you see a great jump shot release. He can also handle the ball pretty well as we saw against Memphis. Now that he’s had a full preseason and conditioning I believe we’ll see a substantial jump in his game.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Not a whole lot can be conclusive with the few minutes he got, plus the weight he was playing at. But I'm in that camp that believes he will have a Mikesell-ish tour of duty and will be a valued player with Dayton. He will get better each year, unlike Blakney who is already poised to be a factor. I think Kobe will be a 40% arc shooter, maybe even this season.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:54 PM
1st Lieutenant

CJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud ofCJ#4 has much to be proud of
I must be running out of gas 11 players in. I misspelled the kid's name in the thread title. My bad.

He's Koby, not Kobe
Mad Props to CJ#4 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (08-17-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 06:22 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
And I was too lazy to check when I copied your spelling.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:40 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Saw it on TV, and at one point, the cameras showed him running the point in the halfcourt O. In that limited glimpse, he seemed confident and in control. Hopefully, a harbinger of things to come.
Posted via Mobile Device