User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-29-2015, 02:10 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think a lot depends on what Archie's list of places he wants to end at is

He's set up nicely to keep on achieving a high level of success here. He should be in the position to take about any job in country that comes open over the next couple years.

Maybe Florida is a dream job for him. Syracuse (New AD and the scandal might hurt Hopkins), Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, Kentucky, Ohio State could conceivably come open over the next couple years and a couple more big years here could have in the position to get any one of those jobs
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-29-2015)
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2015, 02:21 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
Florida is all about Billy D and football money. There were nothing before he got there. Alabama was a really good basketball program back in the 70s and 80s when Newton and Sanderson were coaching. In the SEC everyone is going to play third fiddle to football and UK basketball. It's all about the money, which is almost always the case.
Saying Florida basketball was "nothing" before Donovan is just not true. In the 10 years before Donovan took over, they made the NCAA tournament 5 times including one Sweet 16 and one Final Four.

Saying they were "nothing" before 1987 is more accurate. Before 1987, they had no NCAA berths in school history and were never ranked in a postseason poll.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:27 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Question: who was the Florida coach prior to Donovan?

Kruger or another fairly known or accomplished name?
Old 04-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
Question: who was the Florida coach prior to Donovan?

Kruger or another fairly known or accomplished name?
Kruger. They were nothing before Kruger got there. They made the tourney a few times prior to Lon's hire, but were hit with sanctions for those years.

I'm biased, but Archie can do much better than Florida. I was reading that when Billy D. was flirting with the Orlando Magic years ago, Sean Miller was high on Florida's list. Sean is now with a better program at Arizona. Archie will probably take note of that.

I'm not concerned with Archie bolting for Florida. Maybe I'm naïve.
Mad Props to anthonycharles For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyer016 (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 02:41 PM
Colonel

SC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
Beaver County Hall of Fame
Am I the only one who wants to see this on a T Shirt?

Nice beaver.

Thank-you, I just had it stuffed.
Mad Props to SC_Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 02:50 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2015/4/...-archie-miller
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 03:00 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Florida's run started under Norm Sloan after a decent run at NC State, including an NCAA title in the early 70s, he moved on to Florida and build them up to what was about to become an NCAA regular. however, after a few runs in the tournament, Florida was hit with NCAA sanctions and lost a bunch of scholarships. Long Kruger came in and had to reboot the rebuild, once the sanctions were lifted he lead them to their first Final 4 before moving on to Illinois, when they hired Donavon.

Donavon has certainly taken the program to places it had never seen, but the groundwork had been laid prior to his arrival. To say the program was nothing before he got there isn't quite accurate. They certainly weren't much of anything prior to Norm Sloan arriving, but the work began in the mid 80s and Donavon has lead them to were they are today, one of the better programs.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:03 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shapanud View Post
Saying Florida basketball was "nothing" before Donovan is just not true. In the 10 years before Donovan took over, they made the NCAA tournament 5 times including one Sweet 16 and one Final Four.

Saying they were "nothing" before 1987 is more accurate. Before 1987, they had no NCAA berths in school history and were never ranked in a postseason poll.
They won a grand total of one SEC title (Sloan in 1989) before Donovan who has won 6 of them.

they had they final 4 run under Kruger, who left a few years later to go to Illinois ... in other words Illinois was a better job at that time in the mid 90s. Billy D had a rebuilding job as he replaced Kruger and suffered through 2 losing seasons before the setting the program on an entirely different path. They may have won under Sloan and Kruger, with Devoe in between but before the winning started under Billy D they went through three consecutive losing seasons.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:00 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 1h 1 hour ago
Dayton coach Archie Miller is the name that continually pops up as I dig into potential replacements for Billy Donovan were he to leave Fla.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:19 PM

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Not feeling good about all this attention and respect being given to AM by the Florida fans...I hope Grant gets the job.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:41 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Not feeling good about all this attention and respect being given to AM by the Florida fans...I hope Grant gets the job.
I really think Archie will give UD at least 2 more seasons. I would almost be more nervous about Grant getting the job. I really really can't see Archie leaving UD and the players in the lurch at this point in the off season. A more likely scenario would be Grant being named an interim coach. If he excels, he sticks. If not, hire Archie and Grant gets an asst gig with Donovan.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:15 PM
Colonel

shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
When/If the Florida job comes up, this will be the first job that UD fans have to legitimately worry about.

It appears that Archie will be one of their top, if not their top choice.
It is a Top 25 job with plenty of cash and the 2nd best job in a P5 conference.
It is a place where you can compete for and win national titles at.

Sure there are reasons to stay at UD, but looking at it objectively it should not surprise anyone if this will be the first job that Archie will legitimately consider if it is offered.

The fact he just signed an extension on matters in that it will increase the cash UD gets from the buyout. If Florida wants him, they can pay the buyout.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:14 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Donavon will do what he deems best for himself and family. Don't fault him. Same with Archie. Won't fault him... hopefully won't be a concern.

But the same arguments made for Archie not taking the Florida job could be made for a head coach not looking at UD at this point in the offseason if the job does open. If that is the case, I certainly hope the short list is heavy on current Assistant Coaches whether at UD or otherwise.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:16 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Wait till we find out that Florida just hired Anthony Grant so they could offer him to Dayton as a consolation prize after stealing Archie.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:19 PM
Academy Doolie

roamp will become famous soon enough
If Billy Donovan leaves, Florida's next head coach should be...

Dayton's Archie Miller. Uh-oh.

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2015/4/...-archie-miller

Hope this link hasn't already been posted.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:35 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Just a few more years Archie, please.

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
You and me both, brother. As I have said before, my Dallas tennis buddies are from Louisville, LSU, and Florida. The Florida fan never misses any Florida football game, or home basketball game. He is connected. Their "in" group is pushing Archie Miller for the job in the event Billy leaves. I'm partially to blame because I never missed a chance to tout Miller as a coach, and Dayton as a program on the rise, BEFORE the 2013-14 season. No one paid much attention until Memphis when they/we watched Dayton dismantle Stanford with precision basketball. Then we came closer than any other team to upsetting the Gators. They began watching UD on TV. They bought into us as a program and Archie as a class "A" candidate for Florida.

I no longer forward articles about UD basketball unless they mention how Archie is committed to staying at UD. THEY SEND ME articles about Archie. Can't turn the faucet off.

I hope the Florida AD has a number of other candidates to replace Donovan, not the least of which is Anthony Grant. I hope Wabler has a pact with Arch to not allow contact this off season by interested schools.

Fear the Gator. Really.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 07:56 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
OKC's coaching search both posted about 3 hours ago:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...145628237.html
http://www.si.com/nba/2015/04/29/okl...u-phil-jackson
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 09:34 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
It seems like Donovan to Florida is a done deal. I would think AG is on the short list especially given the fact he's on the staff. If AM is a top candidate, he's already been contacted there's mutual agreement to talk. Keep in mind the Florida AD is well respected and was one of the youngest AD's when hired back in '92.

The one thing missing from the AM resume is recruiting top 50 talent. Although AM has done a remarkable job developing and finding under the radar players like Pollard, Smith, Davis et al, he's not mixed it up with the big boys and landed a top 50 recruit (besides Sibert). At Florida, the expectation is landing a top 10 class consistently. That said, if he's a finalist, he is humbled by being considered, but in the end says he's just not ready.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Windy City Flyer;409073[B
]It seems like Donovan to Florida is a done deal[/B]. I would think AG is on the short list especially given the fact he's on the staff. If AM is a top candidate, he's already been contacted there's mutual agreement to talk. Keep in mind the Florida AD is well respected and was one of the youngest AD's when hired back in '92.

The one thing missing from the AM resume is recruiting top 50 talent. Although AM has done a remarkable job developing and finding under the radar players like Pollard, Smith, Davis et al, he's not mixed it up with the big boys and landed a top 50 recruit (besides Sibert). At Florida, the expectation is landing a top 10 class consistently. That said, if he's a finalist, he is humbled by being considered, but in the end says he's just not ready.
Absolutely since Donovan is already there. Now the question begs, if this is a job of interest does AM dump UD after UD gave him a shot this late in the game or tell them, thanks fellas but the timing just isn't irght. On a side not, if Morgan was thinking Dayton was too small what will she think about Gainsville.

A lot on the line here, loyalty??? v big $$$$
Old 04-29-2015, 10:08 PM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
True Team
Old 04-29-2015, 10:52 PM
Major

cralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond repute
Florida Is Just Not Home.

I believe Archie can do better and will wait for something better. Its not about the money. He will not get the Administration commitment and fan support in FL he can get here and other places.

Call me naïve, but I am not worried!
Old 04-29-2015, 11:27 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
I heard a rumor that Archie said he'd stay at Dayton as long as they would have him.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-30-2015), UDGutter2 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 11:33 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cralford View Post
I believe Archie can do better and will wait for something better. Its not about the money. He will not get the Administration commitment and fan support in FL he can get here and other places.

Call me naïve, but I am not worried!
Since 2000 UF has two national championships, a runner up, an additional final 4, and 3 other elite 8 seasons. They've also won 4 SEC tournament championships and 6 regular season champs. Please tell me what is better that he can get? If he goes he will get paid and he will have support of the admin and fans. This isn't a mid pack SEC team or Georgia Tech were talking about.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:59 PM
Captain

1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold
Fran Fraschilla Tweeted tonight: "Saw Arch Miller get well deserved extension at Dayton. It's not all Billy Donovan's doing but it doesn't hurt that he's leaving UF."

While this could mean that Archie was signed to yet another extension, it more likely means that Fran was not paying attention when the 2022 extension was done a month ago.
Mad Props to 1903 Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 12:06 AM
Captain

flyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 1903 Flyer View Post
Fran Fraschilla Tweeted tonight: "Saw Arch Miller get well deserved extension at Dayton. It's not all Billy Donovan's doing but it doesn't hurt that he's leaving UF."

While this could mean that Archie was signed to yet another extension, it more likely means that Fran was not paying attention when the 2022 extension was done a month ago.
My Bleacher Report app sent a notification tonight that Archie got an extension... I was confused. I clicked the link and it was from a story posted on 3/25/2015. Fran just didn't check his sources
Old 04-30-2015, 12:11 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I saw some tweets on that, I was wondering what in the world they were talking about.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Absolutely since Donovan is already there. Now the question begs, if this is a job of interest does AM dump UD after UD gave him a shot this late in the game or tell them, thanks fellas but the timing just isn't irght. On a side not, if Morgan was thinking Dayton was too small what will she think about Gainsville.

A lot on the line here, loyalty??? v big $$$$
His was just a typo that you corrected, this is intentional. Do you think that city size would be the one and only criteria? If not, then Dayton loses 99 of 100 battles with Gainesville, Fl. for being the best of the two cities.

Last edited by FLYER5; 04-30-2015 at 09:03 AM..
Old 04-30-2015, 08:55 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Have you been to Gainesville? Other than being in Florida, it sucks.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:09 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
Have you been to Gainesville? Other than being in Florida, it sucks.
Other than being in Florida (let me count the perks) C'Mon we're talking about UF here! I've lived in rathole dayton my whole life. This is just a pure silly comparison, or on your part, its defense. Have you ever been here?
Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 09:10 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
He says he'll be here as long as we'll have him, and I think we'll still have him, so I take him at his word.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-30-2015), Swampy Meadows (04-30-2015), TMPH66 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 09:19 AM
1st Lieutenant

MDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by FLYER5 View Post
Other than being in Florida (let me count the perks) C'Mon we're talking about UF here! I've lived in rathole dayton my whole life. This is just a pure silly comparison, or on your part, its defense. Have you ever been here?
I lived in Dayton for 25 years and visited my dad in Florida every summer for most of my life. I gotta tell ya, it's a toss up. I would not live in either place at this point in my life.
Mad Props to MDFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Brigadier General

That quote is etched in my mind firmly in 2nd place as the most iconic of recent times, right behind FDR's Welcome to the Miller mine field of prospective coaching destinations, haha.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Archie name will always come up at a opening,we as fans should expect this. Still there are a lot of good coaches who's name haven't been mention. That would be a good fit at Florida
Old 04-30-2015, 09:23 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by MDFlyer View Post
I lived in Dayton for 25 years and visited my dad in Florida every summer for most of my life. I gotta tell ya, it's a toss up. I would not live in either place at this point in my life.
I hear ya. I'm just busting chops because we're talking about the little ol' university of Florida here. Forest and trees thing it's turning into.
MDFlyer (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 09:26 AM

Archie has said all the right things. I read an article before the tourney where John Miller talking about his sons. One interesting comment was about Sean and John stated "if he had listened to me he would still be at Xavier". I know Archie has talked about the fact that his dad stayed 35 years at the same place and he had opportunities to leave but he stayed because of the kids.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Dillomernda (04-30-2015), FLYER5 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 09:35 AM
Brigadier General

The reason I don't see Archie at tOSU is because of its similarities (proximity, midwestern values, etc.) to us, and Beaver Falls. I just see him doing a venture similar to Sean. UF is really got me nervous.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:53 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
I am hoping Anthony Grant was brought back to Florida for a reason, as they knew Donovan was ready to move on very soon. Despite the lack of success Grant had at Alabama, the folks at Florida know him quite well and still consider basketball an important sport, unlike the football only mentality at Bama.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:55 AM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
His was just a typo that you corrected, this is intentional. Do you think that city size would be the one and only criteria? If not, then Dayton loses 99 of 100 battles with Gainesville, Fl. for being the best of the two cities.
Jumping to conclusions here are we. Never said it was a deciding factor, just mentioning that if Morgan wants a big city life style as some have suggested then Gainsville losses.

I've been to Gainsville and cities all up and down the coast. Lived in Redondo Beach California for 15 years, Dallas Tx for 12 years, St. Louis now for 15 years and travel all over the US in my job. Big cities and small towns and they all have their good and bad sides.

Here in St. Louis we have the second highest murder rate in the country and prople ask how I can live here. Its quite simple really, all that crime and murders take place in one small area. Everything outside of that its okay. Not my top choice but its centrally located and evenly distanced for most of my work/travel.

But back to MOrgan, if she truly wants big city life Gainsville is not it, and as noted by some she don't feel Dayton is either.

Some people aren't satisfied unless they can bash Dayton. We get it you don't like Dayton.

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 04-30-2015 at 10:07 AM..
Old 04-30-2015, 09:57 AM
General of the Air Force

Not sure where you live now but hopefully its not Dayton. Would hate to have to live somewhere I despise so much. Every city has their bright spots and their blights. No perfect city. One persons medicine is anothers poison.

Just to add to the thought regarding Dayton. close friends of mine while living in Dallas and worked for NCR were transferred to Dayton. They were so upset with the possibility of leaving Dallas they almost quit NCR. After arriving in Dayton and settling down the found themselves 4 years later in another transfer situation, this time back to Dallas. They actually fell in love with Dayton and found it the perfect place for raising their children, so much so they left NCR, and still live in Dayton even though they now have an empty nest. May not work for everyone but it does for them.

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 04-30-2015 at 10:05 AM..
Old 04-30-2015, 09:58 AM
Colonel

Tweet from Gainesville Sun sports columnist from 7am today...

Pat Dooley ‏@pat_dooley
Text from inside the Billy Donovan camp -- "Don't believe all the stuff people are saying." I never do.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Brigadier General

The drawer definitely has to have a sharper knife. I'll keep looking..
Old 04-30-2015, 10:31 AM
Brigadier General

Pat Dooley ‏@pat_dooley
Text from inside the Billy Donovan camp -- "Don't believe all the stuff people are saying." I never do.
Seems that if he'd stay it would almost be a lame-duck situation, with virtually everyone speculating he will leave for the nba. Though this past season's record was seemingly an aberration when compared to his overall record at UF. I'm not close to the situation but I can feel the heat from the flames here in, yeah Dayton.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:36 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
I am hoping Anthony Grant was brought back to Florida for a reason, as they knew Donovan was ready to move on very soon. Despite the lack of success Grant had at Alabama, the folks at Florida know him quite well and still consider basketball an important sport, unlike the football only mentality at Bama.
I think this was a contingency plan but then they got....star struck along the way. Hopefully the lustful gaze up I-75 wanes soon..
Old 04-30-2015, 10:47 AM
1st Lieutenant

MDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMDFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Not sure where you live now but hopefully its not Dayton. Would hate to have to live somewhere I despise so much. Every city has their bright spots and their blights. No perfect city. One persons medicine is anothers poison.

Just to add to the thought regarding Dayton. close friends of mine while living in Dallas and worked for NCR were transferred to Dayton. They were so upset with the possibility of leaving Dallas they almost quit NCR. After arriving in Dayton and settling down the found themselves 4 years later in another transfer situation, this time back to Dallas. They actually fell in love with Dayton and found it the perfect place for raising their children, so much so they left NCR, and still live in Dayton even though they now have an empty nest. May not work for everyone but it does for them.
I left Dayton in 2000, but I still have love for it. I visit my family (90% of my entire family lives in Dayton) and friends twice a year there. Furthermore, I support UD basketball like it's my job. I'm sure my Northern Virginia friends are tired of hearing about the Flyers all of the time.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict most people on this board did not grow up on East Third Street and attend Dayton Public Schools, but those experiences and the lack of consistent/lucrative employment drove me out. Hell, I tried. I worked at Dayton Daily News for six years before leaving. I thought I would never leave. However, seeing opportunity in other areas of the country give me a perspective that I truly appreciate.

There is nothing but love for the city from me, despite my decision to not live there.

Last edited by MDFlyer; 04-30-2015 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: grammar
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MDFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (04-30-2015), FLYER5 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 11:00 AM
Brigadier General

If it weren't for my employment with Dayton's largest company I would've chosen to live elsewhere. It has really gone downhill in the past two decades. Been here for all of it outside of vacations. BTW, I had to respond because I grew up in the 2800 block of E. 3rd St. and delivered The Journal Herald as a kid. I love Dayton. It is my hometown. We've had season tickets since the doors opened at UD Arena. But it went from armpit status to rathole about five years ago (tongue-in-cheek)
Crime like you wouldn't believe in East Dayton now. It pains me to go through there.

Last edited by FLYER5; 04-30-2015 at 11:04 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (04-30-2015), MDFlyer (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 11:11 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,414 Times in 671 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Can we just agree that if/when Archie does leave, we won't completely lose it? No posting angry things about a great coach who elevated our program, no lashing out at players/recruits leaving, and no looking generally insane to outsiders?

I know, I probably just outlawed message boards in general, but I had to throw my plea out there for some rationality.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (04-30-2015), FLYER5 (04-30-2015), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-30-2015), MDFlyer (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 12:02 PM
Brigadier General

I guarantee I would refrain from any of that. In fact after I intentionally missed his presser upon accepting his new job, I would faithfully follow his career. He's just got all that I want in a head basketball coach.
flyerfanatic86 (05-01-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 12:04 PM
Colonel

From Adrian Wojnarowski, the most connected NBA writer...

Sources: Florida's Billy Donovan finalizing deal to become Thunder coach
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...155535958.html
Mad Props to shapanud For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 12:26 PM

well if Archie were to turn down UF cold he would acquire mythic status around these parts.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (04-30-2015), Figgie123 (04-30-2015), FLYER5 (04-30-2015), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 12:57 PM
Captain

Dogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant future
I see Florida as a real threat, if only because Archie would have to listen if they called. In the corporate world, half the battle of retaining top talent is having them not take the headhunter's call. Once that conversation starts, you never know how good of a sales person is on the other end making the pitch for you to take their job.

I hope Archie just says I am not interested and it ends. I really want at least one more year. Solidifying this incoming class is important and on paper next year's squad should be the best talent Archie has had at UD.

If he goes, I will be sad, but thankful.
Mad Props to Dogdaddy For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (05-01-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 01:13 PM

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops
Possible candidates to replace Donovan -- Dayton coach Archie Miller, Xavier coach Richard Mack, Minnesota coach Richard Pitino.

I think they ought to hire Dick Mack.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-30-2015), SC_Flyer (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 01:33 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-bil...JVuUcAqbYnnIlQ

"
So Foley's search could well widen beyond the Donovan family tree. If it does, Archie Miller of Dayton would certainly merit strong consideration.

The 36-year-old Miller, whose Flyers teams have won five games in the past two NCAA tournaments despite being seeded 11th both times, is America's leading college coach under 40. It would be fitting for Florida to replace a departing star of the modern era with a guy who could be the next great."
Old 04-30-2015, 01:34 PM
Colonel

SC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud of
Seeing how Archie just signed an extension with us, wouldn't he have to sit out a year if he transferred?
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SC_Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (04-30-2015), flyerfanatic86 (05-01-2015), FSUFlyer (04-30-2015), Glen Clark (04-30-2015), The Gem (04-30-2015), ud2 (04-30-2015), UDGutter2 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 01:35 PM
General

Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
It's official...Donovan gone

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2...ves-UF-for-NBA
Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 01:38 PM
2nd Lieutenant

BmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of light
Slightly concerning... really hope they don't go after Arch
Old 04-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Seems that if he'd stay it would almost be a lame-duck situation, with virtually everyone speculating he will leave for the nba. Though this past season's record was seemingly an aberration when compared to his overall record at UF. I'm not close to the situation but I can feel the heat from the flames here in, yeah Dayton.
I live roughly an hour from Gainesville in Ponte Vedra (outside Jacksonville). The media is very pro-Donovan as are the local alumni. Even if he were to change course and stay, I don't think he would be on the hot seat. The AD (Jeremy Foley) has been pretty supportive which really falls in line with the way he has handled his time in the position .

But UF fans are very much like OSU fans. If Donovan was looking at another college job, his seat would be very hot... very hot. Donovan has consistently won. And the football program has been in a slide making him look that much better.

I can't speak to what Archie wants let alone his wife. I hope he stays but I would certainly understand. It seems like some on here have made him out to be mythic and that leaving would represent some type of fall from grace... that I don't understand. But I've never understood some people's desire to deem what another should do with their life or career... really made my relationship with my first wife's mother rocky!

Anyway, somewhat related... I hope Billy Donovan stays at Florida. I think he's good for the college game and represents one of the few SEC programs that can provide a regular challenge to Kentucky. That being said, if he would be happier in the NBA or his wife would be happier in OK City... more power to him as well.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bucketnight For This Totally Excellent Post:
Dogdaddy (04-30-2015), flyerfanatic86 (05-01-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 01:45 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,038 Times in 2,599 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 16m16 minutes ago Manhattan, NY

Hearing Florida assistant John Pelphrey will have a strong shot at the Florida job.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2015, 01:55 PM
Major

Originally Posted by Bucketnight View Post
I live roughly an hour from Gainesville in Ponte Vedra (outside Jacksonville). The media is very pro-Donovan as are the local alumni. Even if he were to change course and stay, I don't think he would be on the hot seat. The AD (Jeremy Foley) has been pretty supportive which really falls in line with the way he has handled his time in the position .

But UF fans are very much like OSU fans. If Donovan was looking at another college job, his seat would be very hot... very hot. Donovan has consistently won. And the football program has been in a slide making him look that much better.

I can't speak to what Archie wants let alone his wife. I hope he stays but I would certainly understand. It seems like some on here have made him out to be mythic and that leaving would represent some type of fall from grace... that I don't understand. But I've never understood some people's desire to deem what another should do with their life or career... really made my relationship with my first wife's mother rocky!

Anyway, somewhat related... I hope Billy Donovan stays at Florida. I think he's good for the college game and represents one of the few SEC programs that can provide a regular challenge to Kentucky. That being said, if he would be happier in the NBA or his wife would be happier in OK City... more power to him as well.
Yep... just finish typing I hope Donovan stays... and immediately see he's gone. Knew it was likely but didn't realize my timing was so poor.
Mad Props to Bucketnight For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 01:56 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
Sullivan takes Thunder job. ESPN mentions Archie Miller and others, including Rick Pitino's son, who served on Sullivan's staff, as possible new coaches but ESPN says that Florida will take its time making a selection.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:58 PM

http://daytonflyers.blog.daytondaily...archie-miller/
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 02:09 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
The absolute best case scenario: AM is courted hard (and publicly) and he decides to stay at UD. Ultimately, Florida "settles" for Mack from Xavier. A guy can dream right?
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (05-01-2015), redbengal (04-30-2015), The Gem (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 02:13 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
All the other Posts and Threads can be put on hold until this threat is resolved one way or the other.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer68 For This Totally Excellent Post:
1903 Flyer (04-30-2015), 224 (04-30-2015), Gazoo (04-30-2015), San Diego Flyer (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 02:16 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Archie has said more than once he wants to be at UD for a "long time." This is beyond normal coach-speak and is something he didn't have to say. So if he leaves soon, yes, I will be ticked and will think less of him. He knew these "big" jobs and offers would be coming when he made those statements. If he didn't mean it he shouldn't have said it. He simply could have said something like "I love it here and I love what we are building here." He shouldn't have added "I want to be here for a long time" unless he meant it.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (05-01-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 02:17 PM
General of the Air Force

I left Dayton in 2000, but I still have love for it. I visit my family (90% of my entire family lives in Dayton) and friends twice a year there. Furthermore, I support UD basketball like it's my job. I'm sure my Northern Virginia friends are tired of hearing about the Flyers all of the time.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict most people on this board did not grow up on East Third Street and attend Dayton Public Schools, but those experiences and the lack of consistent/lucrative employment drove me out. Hell, I tried. I worked at Dayton Daily News for six years before leaving. I thought I would never leave. However, seeing opportunity in other areas of the country give me a perspective that I truly appreciate.

There is nothing but love for the city from me, despite my decision to not live there.
Glad to hear. Didn't grow up on east 3rd but I did grow up in Parkside homes then we moved out toward Roosevelt HS. Left Dayton in 1970 after coming back from service. Not because I wanted to but needed to get away from a girl I was engaged to before Uncle Sam took me. Her parents convinced her I'd come back in a body back and ergo I got a Dear John letter. I was still smitten with her and even though she was now engaged to another I felt her love when we crossed paths. Considering we had many of the same interests and friends it was difficult not to run into her time and again. Left for California to avoid my conflicted emotions. She married and I thought all was over. Then heard from her three years later as she tracked me down somehow and told me her marriage was a sham. She divored but by then I was involved in a new relationship of my own.

Sometimes things just don't work out. You can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy. My heart is still in Dayton even after all these years.

Hope things are going well for you. Flyers for life.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
The absolute best case scenario: AM is courted hard (and publicly) and he decides to stay at UD. Ultimately, Florida "settles" for Mack from Xavier. A guy can dream right?
Actually I prefer Mack stay at Xavier, who knows they could replace him with someone very good. Mack at X isn't anything special, to me.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-30-2015), flyerfanatic86 (05-01-2015), Gazoo (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 02:31 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,693 Times in 2,511 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
I know from several folks associated with the program that AM wants to be in a basketball town and that is why he loves UD. It is all basketball. He will not have that in FL. In fact, just go back to last March to see the difference in fan support. I was in Memphis and we must have outnumbered FL fans 3 to 1. Believe me, AM saw that and knows what he has here.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BmoreFlyer (04-30-2015), flyerfanatic86 (05-01-2015), Sea Bass (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
I know from several folks associated with the program that AM wants to be in a basketball town and that is why he loves UD. It is all basketball. He will not have that in FL. In fact, just go back to last March to see the difference in fan support. I was in Memphis and we must have outnumbered FL fans 3 to 1. Believe me, AM saw that and knows what he has here.
and leaving your current school in this time frame just royally screws things up for everyone. Leaving after the spring recruiting period has opened is bad for everyone, especially the school left behind that has to try and pick the pieces. You can lose recruits and players with no opportunity to replace them setting you back for 1 to 2 years or more.

often said that timing is everything and in this case the timing is bad.

Do most coaches today care about that? Probably not.
FLYER5 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 03:07 PM

Pat Dooley ‏@pat_dooley
Yeah right. What the heck. Clearly wrong. Who inside the Donovan camp said this?
Old 04-30-2015, 03:15 PM

Seth Greenberg
‏@SethOnHoops
Look at the history prior to Billy D. The next coach will need to understand the lack of the fans basketball ownership and football culture
Old 04-30-2015, 03:24 PM
Major

udflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond repute
What we need now, is a statement from Archie. Something like this would be good.

Archie: "Hey Florida, I just saw that Billy got the OKC job. I already told everyone that I'd like to be at Dayton for as long as they'll have me. I'm good here, stop calling."
Old 04-30-2015, 03:32 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
I know that Sean's advice is to hold out for a "huge high major" job. It depends if the Florida gig qualifies in his opinion. I think he will stay at least one more year, but this is the first time I have been worried. We will be going through this every year about this time, it's the price of success.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:35 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

mikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud of
Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops
Possible candidates to replace Donovan -- Dayton coach Archie Miller, Xavier coach Richard Mack, Minnesota coach Richard Pitino.

I think they ought to hire Dick Mack.
I think his middle initial is S
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to mikeymo85 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (04-30-2015), flyerfanatic86 (05-01-2015), Gazoo (04-30-2015), Justin (04-30-2015), SC_Flyer (05-01-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 03:35 PM

From ESPN:

FLORIDA LOOKS TO REPLACE DONOVAN
Andy Katz says Xavier's Chris Mack and Wichita State's Gregg Marshall are names likely to surface in Florida's search for a new coach.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:53 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,038 Times in 2,599 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 5m5 minutes ago Florida, USA

Hearing more and more that Dayton's Archie Miller will be the prime target to replace Donovan at Florida.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:58 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up He will always be my hero no matter what he does.

So here is what Archie said:

“It’s very humbling. It’s a privilege to coach at a place like this,” Miller said in March about his new contract. “Me and my family feel really grateful. (Athletic Director) Tim (Wabler) has been outstanding to work with. There’s not a day that’s gone by that we haven’t had everything we need to be successful. One of the big reasons we are successful is because of our administration. When you add that up, it always feels good to be at a place that wants you. That’s how we feel.”

Where in that paragraph did he say," I would not leave Dayton even if one of the top 5 basketball programs offered me a huge contract".

All you do is change "It's very humbling" to "It has been very humbling". Every thing else in that paragraph could be an exit speech.

Just pray it isn't now.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:20 PM
General of the Air Force

TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...sketball-coach
Interesting article by Matt Norlander. Florida probably isn't an elite job, certainly not top 5. Something to consider-Dayton is going up and Florida just had a losing season. Unless the money was out of this world don't know why you would go to a football school in a mediocre P5 basketball conference.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 04:26 PM
Just off the Jet

UDlaxbros is infamous around these partsUDlaxbros is infamous around these partsUDlaxbros is infamous around these parts
This is where being a mid-major absolutely kills us. We knew this day would eventually come. I just can't see Archie saying no if Florida offers. We simply can't compete with what they have. It's just such a tough pill to swallow after the success of the past 2 seasons. I'm not sure which direction my emotions will take me if this comes to pass.

I really do think Anthony Grant could pick up the reins rather seamlessly. Or maybe we look to someone internal? I think those are likely are best bets at this point and we just hope we can keep the train moving in the right direction.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:29 PM

I don't know, push me to say yes or no on this, and for whatever reason, I just don't see AM leaving UD for UF right now...I could easily be wrong though.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:33 PM
General

Would Anthony Grant even be on anyone's radar if he wasn't an alum?
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 04:36 PM
General

Originally Posted by udflyerhoops2 View Post
What we need now, is a statement from Archie. Something like this would be good.

Archie: "Hey Florida, I just saw that Billy got the OKC job. I already told everyone that I'd like to be at Dayton for as long as they'll have me. I'm good here, stop calling."
What we need now is Wabs to state publicly that UD will match any offer plus 10 percent.

Hope he has Clay Mathile on speed dial.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:40 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...sketball-coach
Interesting article by Matt Norlander. Florida probably isn't an elite job, certainly not top 5. Something to consider-Dayton is going up and Florida just had a losing season. Unless the money was out of this world don't know why you would go to a football school in a mediocre P5 basketball conference.
It's pretty obvious to most everyone that in the last two decades only Kentucky and Florida distanced themselves significantly from the pack in the mediocre SEC. Seems like there is half of a thread on why Florida has evolved as more than a football school. Facilities and non-football sports successes support that notion. Matt Norlander is trying to sell copy, but calling Florida basketball "not an elite job" is moronic.

Again, just hope the job isn't offered. And if it is, hope it isn't accepted. I would wager that for every Norlander who thinks the Florida job is inferior to Texas, there is one that thinks the opposite. Including the Miller family. Depends on which side of the Mississippi River you are on.
jpk4ud (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 04:42 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
So here is what Archie said:

Where in that paragraph did he say," I would not leave Dayton even if one of the top 5 basketball programs offered me a huge contract".
Here is the interview a lot of people refer to:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...wers/24111833/

Specifically these comments:

"So, to me being able to coach here as long as they want me to, that's what I'm happy about."

"We have an amazing fan base. It's crazy. There's a lot of people right now who don't have any of that. I don't think about any other jobs. I never have. We have a good class coming in. I think we can win big here. We're trying to win big, and they want us to win big. They really care about us, from our president to Tim (Wabler), our AD. They really take good care of us, they care about us doing well. To me, it's a great place to coach. I'm not real comfortable with all the outside stuff. I never have been. It's always the question or thing you have to deal with all the time when you're recruiting, or in and around town. 'Hey, please don't go anywhere.' It's kind of like, I've never thought about going anywhere."

He's never given us a reason to not take him at his word.

But that doesn't mean I don't get nervous when a big job, like Florida, opens up. Just shows how much we like him here.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-30-2015), TA111 (04-30-2015), UDGutter2 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 04:42 PM
Just off the Jet

UDlaxbros is infamous around these partsUDlaxbros is infamous around these partsUDlaxbros is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Bama is a horrible job. He did about as good a job as anyone could possibly do there. I honestly think he would be a steal even if he wasn't an alum.
Mad Props to UDlaxbros For This Totally Excellent Post:
Viperstick (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 04:46 PM
General

Originally Posted by UDlaxbros View Post
Bama is a horrible job. He did about as good a job as anyone could possibly do there. I honestly think he would be a steal even if he wasn't an alum.
He did worse than Mark Gottfried
Old 04-30-2015, 04:47 PM
General of the Air Force

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...s-a-no-brainer
Gary Parrish article. Florida is not the great job some are making it out to be.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:05 PM

not much difference between Florida and Bama jobs. The real difference is Bama has never had a coach as good as Donovan.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (04-30-2015), Gazoo (04-30-2015), TA111 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 05:09 PM
Captain

FSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really nice
In the state of Florida maybe, but not at the University of Florida. They are fully invested in basketball, emotionally and financially. Which is why they are undertaking a costly redo of their whole arena.
No they aren't. They don't even sell out their 12,000-seat arena despite close to 50,000 students and all of the success Donovan brought.

The arena was supposed to be undergoing renovation RIGHT NOW. It had been in the works for years. But they hired a new football coach a few months back and took money from the basketball arena project to fund a football indoor practice facility, something that wasn't even approved until a few months ago, and something the A.D. repeatedly said the school didn't even need. It'll have taken a full decade after their basketball title to get the arena renovated.

Of course there is more interest and financial support in their program now than 20 years ago, but that's not a permanent thing. Their football stadium has had 20,000 empty seats numerous times the last several years in the wake of a coaching change and less-than-stellar seasons. The same could very easily happen in basketball, and is more likely to happen in basketball than in football, since its only more recent success and a distant second in the mind and hearts of UF folks.

This isn't to say Miller shouldn't go, that it's a bad program or that he wouldn't succeed there. But they are NOT a basketball school and many of their fans would admit as much.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FSUFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Dillomernda (04-30-2015), Gazoo (04-30-2015), TA111 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 05:11 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
It's pretty obvious to most everyone that in the last two decades only Kentucky and Florida distanced themselves significantly from the pack in the mediocre SEC. Seems like there is half of a thread on why Florida has evolved as more than a football school. Facilities and non-football sports successes support that notion. Matt Norlander is trying to sell copy, but calling Florida basketball "not an elite job" is moronic.
When I think about a top position it needs to be something that provides a systematic advantage to the competition. The facilities at UF must be nice, the weather is . . . well it's warm, I'm not sure I'd say "nice," there has to be something that no one else can copy. It's "patented."

Kentucky has 100 years of history, a fan base beyond rabid, and warehouses full of dirty money. You can't copy that. Duke has simply been so good for so long, and in the best basketball conference, with such an amazing atmosphere for games, there's a cultural feeling of success you can't copy. Even if Coach K left I think they'll continue to be top of the heap. Etc.

Does UF have something that can't be copied? They remind me of Alabama or Auburn but with more $ spent on the program. UF has had more success, but is that really an ingrained culture that is patented (and won't disappear) or just lucky coaching hires?

I really don't know the answer but UF doesn't strike me as much more than a school that has spent some $ and had some luck. I think they could just as easily be at the success level as LSU.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:28 PM
Captain

FSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really nice
Originally Posted by TX Flyer View Post
Since 2000 UF has two national championships, a runner up, an additional final 4, and 3 other elite 8 seasons. They've also won 4 SEC tournament championships and 6 regular season champs. Please tell me what is better that he can get? If he goes he will get paid and he will have support of the admin and fans. This isn't a mid pack SEC team or Georgia Tech were talking about.
Duke, UNC and Cuse jobs will all be opening up in the coming years, and perhaps UK if Calipari goes to the NBA one of these days.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:35 PM

Spoken like an FSU undergrad. Florida ball fans could write a hundred page rebuttal.
Viperstick (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 05:36 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
jpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond repute
Good write up on Yahoo. Archie's name comes up at the end of it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-bil...021825516.html
Old 04-30-2015, 05:37 PM

even with UK and all the money and rabid fans they wandered in the wilderness for quite a bit between Pitino and Calipari. The common denominator is great recruiting combined with great coaching.

Look at coach K, he is a perennial winner with Duke and turned around USA basketball on the international seen. One of a kind and if they don't hire a great coach to replace him they will spend some time in the wildnerness like UNC did between Smith and Williams.

No one is immune.

Look at what Bo Ryan has done at Wisconsin with a bunch of no-names and little history of basketball success. It is almost all about the coach, a great coach can have great success almost anywhere.

Last edited by Sea Bass; 04-30-2015 at 05:39 PM..
Gazoo (05-01-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 05:37 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...s-a-no-brainer
Gary Parrish article. Florida is not the great job some are making it out to be.
Like whistling in the dark. Send it to Archie. That's who needs convincing.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:54 PM
Captain

Florida's facilities are top shelf in every sport. They aim for National Championships to start, and settle for SEC Championships often. Then there is the girls. Have you seen the Dazzlers!!
The place is like an Olympic training grounds. I was accepted into their grad school as a cave man when the place looked like Antioch. Ended up going to Iowa. What was I thinking?
Compared to the elite basketball programs? No. Not even close. Honestly, not even close to the best in football either.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Yes, but he wouldn't be a fan favorite like he is.

He did well at VCU. He did so-so at Bama. Would make sense that he would again do well at another basketball-centric mid-major. But there are other good candidates out there, too.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Colonel

swish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant future
even with UK and all the money and rabid fans they wandered in the wilderness for quite a bit between Pitino and Calipari. The common denominator is great recruiting combined with great coaching.

Look at coach K, he is a perennial winner with Duke and turned around USA basketball on the international seen. One of a kind and if they don't hire a great coach to replace him they will spend some time in the wildnerness like UNC did between Smith and Williams.

No one is immune.

Look at what Bo Ryan has done at Wisconsin with a bunch of no-names and little history of basketball success. It is almost all about the coach, a great coach can have great success almost anywhere.
So true. And pertains to every sport.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:04 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
jpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond repute
Practice Gym: http://www.gatorzone.com/facilities/basketball-practice

Upgrades coming to arena and practice facilities:
http://www.onlygators.com/02/10/2015...ll-facilities/
Mad Props to jpk4ud For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 06:07 PM
Captain

Spoken like an FSU undergrad. Florida ball fans could write a hundred page rebuttal.
So that's your response?

Old 04-30-2015, 06:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Like whistling in the dark. Send it to Archie. That's who needs convincing.
the point is all these guys who follow college bball for a living have said essentially the same thing, FL is a decent job but not elite. I'm sure AM will do his due diligence.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:56 PM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
The definition of a 'major' program starts with the salary and (realistic) expectations of the head coach. UF pays a ton, expects a ton and achieves a what they've pay for.

Therefore, UF is a major job. No amount of spinning will change that.
Bat'71 (05-01-2015), ClaytonFlyerFan (04-30-2015), Falcon7 (05-02-2015), flyhi524 (05-01-2015), mikeymo85 (05-01-2015), San Diego Flyer (04-30-2015)