UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 05-03-2018, 12:32 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,123 Times in 4,169 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
TV sports networks continue to bigly lose subscribers

http://www.realclearlife.com/sports/...ng-huge-drops/

Sports Network Subscription Estimates Show Huge Drops

It’s estimated ESPN will have lost 500,000 households from April to May.

With the start of the MLB season, the NBA and NHL playoffs, the NFL Draft and The Masters, April should have been a great month for most sports networks.

However, according to Nielsen cable coverage estimates, this month was actually pretty brutal.

There wasn’t a single sports network that saw an increase in estimated coverage from April to May and many of them saw pretty notable losses including ESPN (-500,000 homes), FS1 (-328,000), NBCSN (-544,000), TNT (-495,000), NFL Network (-842,000) and MLB Network (- 664,000).

“These are not out-of-season drops, but drops at a time while those networks have some of their best content,” according to Awful Announcing. “So there are certainly some things to worry about there.”

While the networks can afford losses like this for a month or two, they translate to huge losses over the course of a year which could be disastrous and lead to more cuts like we saw last year.
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2018, 08:39 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
While I can't imagine not having access to the major sports networks, there are many people that really don't care about sports. Live sports are the only reason many hold onto their tv cable/satellite subscription.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:51 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Willy418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of light
Would be curious to know if this drop is in viewing professional sports or college sports? I wonder if this has been teased out? I for one have lost a lot of interest in all professional sports.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Willy418 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (05-03-2018), jack72 (05-03-2018), MrFlyerFanatic (05-03-2018), TX Flyer (05-03-2018), wes (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 01:12 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Willy418 View Post
Would be curious to know if this drop is in viewing professional sports or college sports? I wonder if this has been teased out? I for one have lost a lot of interest in all professional sports.
The NFL I know took a ratings hit this past season. The NBA I saw something that said they're doing well.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:30 PM

Thanked 10,124 Times in 5,860 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
The NFL I know took a ratings hit this past season. The NBA I saw something that said they're doing well.
NBA was highest in four years and up 8% year over year.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:45 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
Let's be real - the NFL, whether you support their political movement or not, brought much of it on themselves. Anytime you play politics, you're going to p*** off around half the population.

Remember what happened to MLB after they went on strike? Sometimes you reap what you sow.
Mad Props to pmcmullen For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 03:50 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Be interesting to see if Netflix, Amazon or one of the streaming services gets into the sports game
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (05-04-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 04:56 PM
Captain

PerrymanFan is a jewel in the roughPerrymanFan is a jewel in the roughPerrymanFan is a jewel in the rough
Those are some staggering numbers of unsubscribers. I'd say that this mostly has to tie to people getting rid of cable all together. But ESPN isn't doing themselves any favors. There's nothing on that network worth tuning in for anymore, from their political agenda to click-bait reporting, its just a very substandard product.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to PerrymanFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-03-2018), Canonball (05-04-2018), Gazoo (05-10-2018), Monster Man (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 07:30 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
2021 will be a very interesting year. That’s when most sports rights including the NFL, big 10, I believe SeC come up. We will see what ESPN bids on and what they don’t. The other thing I would point out is I would expect networks to crack down on password sharing. This is something I know just about everybody does now. So mom and dad have cable. 25-year-old son uses mom and dad cable login to watch stuff on apps. I would expect this to end very soon. That’s going to force more people to really either give up watching the content or pay for it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Flyerferd For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 09:00 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyerferd View Post
2021 will be a very interesting year. That’s when most sports rights including the NFL, big 10, I believe SeC come up. We will see what ESPN bids on and what they don’t. The other thing I would point out is I would expect networks to crack down on password sharing. This is something I know just about everybody does now. So mom and dad have cable. 25-year-old son uses mom and dad cable login to watch stuff on apps. I would expect this to end very soon. That’s going to force more people to really either give up watching the content or pay for it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I totally agree. For all the talk of cord cutting, i think many just use someone else's cord.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (07-09-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 09:02 PM
General

I'd be curious if the streaming services like Youtube TV, Sling, etc are included in those loses
Old 05-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Captain

oRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant future
Supreme Court ruling on sports betting is due before July 1st, could come as soon as May14th. If they rule in favor of New Jersey then sports viewership will tick up again.
Mad Props to oRed For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 09:07 AM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
The only reason we hung out so long was for college football and basketball but I finally caved in to the pressures of my wife and cut the cord. Thought I'd miss it all more than I did but it turns out there are still plenty of options out there. Wouldn't go back, especially considering it's saving us about a hundred bucks a month.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:15 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Canonball View Post
The only reason we hung out so long was for college football and basketball but I finally caved in to the pressures of my wife and cut the cord. Thought I'd miss it all more than I did but it turns out there are still plenty of options out there. Wouldn't go back, especially considering it's saving us about a hundred bucks a month.
What do you do for internet access? I may save a few bucks a month if I dropped the tv portion of my U Verse deal but it would not be close to $100/mo.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:12 PM
General

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
What do you do for internet access? I may save a few bucks a month if I dropped the tv portion of my U Verse deal but it would not be close to $100/mo.
I pay $50 a month from Spectrum internet (formally Time Warner) and I can get a streaming service in the fall 35-40 bucks
Canonball (05-08-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 05:29 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
I pay $50 a month from Spectrum internet (formally Time Warner) and I can get a streaming service in the fall 35-40 bucks

Bingo!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2018, 07:13 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Have spectrum Internet and amazon stick tv (one time charge) and hulu for 40 month when I want it. Month to month no contract. Between spectrum amazon tv and hul u get all sports I care for.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:24 PM
General

My buddy dumped DirectTV and went with internet from the cable company and got Playstation Vue (you don't need a playstation to watch). I couldn't tell the difference between that and cable watching on a game on his TV. He said he hasn't had any issues with it since he switched over
Old 05-07-2018, 09:15 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Someone posted an article on a similar thread a while back that ESPN charges cable companies about $9-10/subscriber/month. The next closest I believe was TNT at $1.80. Most charge less than $1. ESPN is owned by Disney, as is ABC and a number of other networks and Disney just started its own streaming service to rival Netflix. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2020-21 when the various broadcast rights expire - ESPN could move to Disney streaming? The whole tv broadcasting industry could be radically different in 5 years. Cable companies may just become ISP's and you then buy the content you want off the internet, a-la-carte.
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
wes (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 11:02 AM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Agree at some point you'll just pick your 20-30 favorite channels in a package for a set price. And it may all be streaming by then and not traditional OVA or coax.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 05-07-2018, 11:08 AM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
your talking 75.00-125.00 a month for cable, either way your paying for internet, are we just being tight azz's ? you will take your family of 4 out to texas roadhouse and pay 80-100 bucks for a meal but you will complain about 75-125 a month for cable ? come on
Old 05-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Major

cralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udscott View Post
your talking 75.00-125.00 a month for cable, either way your paying for internet, are we just being tight azz's ? you will take your family of 4 out to texas roadhouse and pay 80-100 bucks for a meal but you will complain about 75-125 a month for cable ? come on
Not if the steak is lousy and the server is rude. I do have a remote but when they start raising the price of my subscription for services I do not use it is a different matter. Not intending to be the grammar police but the first your should be you're.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:49 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by udscott View Post
Originally Posted by cralford View Post
Not if the steak is lousy and the server is rude. I do have a remote but when they start raising the price of my subscription for services I do not use it is a different matter. Not intending to be the grammar police but the first your should be you're.
Isn't it a given that if it is Texas Roadhouse, the steak is going to be lousy?
Old 05-07-2018, 11:53 AM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
^^

No. I mean it doesn't compare to a steak at Ruby's, but its decent enough for the price you pay. I don't expect to get Ruby quality cut by paying $20 max for my steak, salad and side.

At anyrate, what UDScott calls cheapazz, many call frugal. We all have things in our lives that we pay more than we probably "should" for, but as long as it enriches our lives, who cares. The problem with cable is that you get a ton of channels that you never watch for one fee, so if there were a way to cut your cost while maintaining the channels that you actually want to watch, why not?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (05-08-2018), ud2 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 11:55 AM
General

I think at some point leagues might look at bypassing the middleman of ESPN and just sell you a package directly as streaming grows.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:32 AM

Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Call me cheap if you will but I just get tired of paying for stuff like the Oxygen channel and other junk I didn't want, need, or use. Current internet provider is ATT. Using Sling at the moment which includes ESPN but has some glitchy moments and I might try something else in the future. Any recommendations? Most big sports events can be accessed or paid for. We get local HD-TV through antenna, perfectly clear, which picks up all the network stuff usually Saints and SEC (LSU/Alabama) games in my part of the world. Haven't really missed a beat.

Last edited by Canonball; 05-08-2018 at 09:35 AM..
Old 05-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Brigadier General

N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
I'm guessing that a lot of those smaller niche channels will disappear. They get $0.XX from every subscriber on every cable provider they broadcast on whether people watch or not. Once you have to pay for that channel directly, there won't be enough revenue to continue to produce content. Only the strong will survive.

As mentioned below, I could easily see every conference start their own channel. Each school probably already has the necessary broadcast equipment today, and they could use a mix of professional and student commentators, and they could fill in voids with non sports content from every school in the conference. Just look at the SEC and BIG networks.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:15 PM
General

Originally Posted by Canonball View Post
Call me cheap if you will but I just get tired of paying for stuff like the Oxygen channel and other junk I didn't want, need, or use. Current internet provider is ATT. Using Sling at the moment which includes ESPN but has some glitchy moments and I might try something else in the future. Any recommendations? Most big sports events can be accessed or paid for. We get local HD-TV through antenna, perfectly clear, which picks up all the network stuff usually Saints and SEC (LSU/Alabama) games in my part of the world. Haven't really missed a beat.
Youtube TV and Hulu have more sports channel including CBS Sports
Canonball (05-09-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 01:45 PM
General of the Air Force

Youtube TV and Hulu have more sports channel including CBS Sports
Doesn't Hulu with live tv cost $40/month?
Old 05-08-2018, 01:55 PM
General

Doesn't Hulu with live tv cost $40/month?
It could, they were one of the ones with CBS Sports. When I researched which to get Sling I think was actually the worst in terms of sports channels (that's all I care about)

I think they're all around 35-40 a month but most of these had some sort of free trial period or reduced intro price

PlaystationVue I think gets more expensive depending on what packages you add
Old 05-08-2018, 02:00 PM
General

Youtube TV: you get NBC Sports Fox Sports, FS1, FS2, Big 10 Network, all the ESPNs, SEC Network, SNY (I believe we've had games on there). Golf, Tennis MLB and NBA tv are on there too. NESN (red sox regional) and YES (Yankees) are on there

I'm pretty sure that package of networks gets you every Dayton game on a national tv and maybe some of the regional ones on SNY
Canonball (05-09-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 02:22 PM
General

This a thread from another messageboard breaking down the streaming services from a sports perspective

https://csnbbs.com/thread-820296.html
Old 05-08-2018, 03:17 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
How does ESPN creating all of the bowl games and exempt tournaments play into this? Are conferences beholden to them because they provide all of the extra opportunities that may not exist if ESPN ceases to exist on cable?
Old 05-08-2018, 03:22 PM
General of the Air Force

The only work involved in the old days was getting up to change the channel to one of 7 channels (NY/NJ metro area - 3 networks, 3 independents, PBS). Now the work is figuring out what you need/want and then negotiating if you go with one of the big guys like AT&T or Spectrum. Pain in the butt. I have 5 TVs but only 2 people in the house so only 2 are ever watched at the same time. Some are older - i.e., not smart tv so streaming would not work on them. So is it better to buy new tvs or go the traditional route? Pain in the butt.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:24 PM
General

The only work involved in the old days was getting up to change the channel to one of 7 channels (NY/NJ metro area - 3 networks, 3 independents, PBS). Now the work is figuring out what you need/want and then negotiating if you go with one of the big guys like AT&T or Spectrum. Pain in the butt. I have 5 TVs but only 2 people in the house so only 2 are ever watched at the same time. Some are older - i.e., not smart tv so streaming would not work on them. So is it better to buy new tvs or go the traditional route? Pain in the butt.
you can buy a streaming device for a non smart tv
Old 05-08-2018, 04:39 PM
General of the Air Force

you can buy a streaming device for a non smart tv
My brain hurts.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:00 AM
Brigadier General

News on the 900 pound cable gorilla . . . .

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/di...ion-2018-05-08
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 08:30 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
If I watch Netflix on my TV in the bedroom and then my wife is the next one to watch TV I get the following call:

"The TV in the bedroom isn't working."
"Yes it is, it's set for the Blu-ray input."
"No, it's showing No Signal."
"I know, you need to change the signal."
"Why?"
"Because the TV is trying to receive a signal from HDMI-2 but it's not on, you need to switch to HDMI-1."
"What's an HDMI??"
"What difference does it make, just switch it."
"How?"
"Get the TV remove."
"OK I've got it."
"Push the input button."
"There is no input button."
"Big round one in the middle at the top."
"That button says AT&T."
"That's because you've got the wrong remote. I said get the TV remove."
"This is the TV remote, we use it to watch TV."
"No, the remote that came in the box when we bought the TV."
"How should I remember that, it was years ago!"
"THE ONE THAT SAYS SAMSUNG."
"Well you should have said that."
(pause) (pause) (pause)
"Did you push the button?"
"What button?"
"The round one that says input."
"Why can't I just watch TV, why does this have to be so complicated?"

I'll cut it off there, but you get the point. Now you want me to have Hulu for one kind of TV, Netflix for something else, YouTubeTV for certain shows. . . AT&T is cheaper than divorce.
14 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-12-2018), CE80 (05-10-2018), ClaytonFlyerFan (05-15-2018), CT Flyer (05-10-2018), Figgie123 (05-10-2018), Flyer2 (07-07-2018), FlyerBob (07-07-2018), OSU Flyer (05-10-2018), rollo (05-15-2018), springborofan (05-15-2018), superfan99 (05-10-2018), ud2 (05-11-2018), UDGutter2 (05-15-2018), upperarlingtonflyer (07-07-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 08:38 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
If I watch Netflix on my TV in the bedroom and then my wife is the next one to watch TV I get the following call:

"Why?"
"Because the TV is trying to receive a signal from HDMI-2 but it's not on, you need to switch to HDMI-1."
"What's an HDMI??"
"How?"
"Get the TV remove."
"OK I've got it."
"Push the input button."
"That button says AT&T."
(pause) (pause) (pause)
"What button?"

I'll cut it off there, but you get the point. Now you want me to have Hulu for one kind of TV, Netflix for something else, YouTubeTV for certain shows. . . AT&T is cheaper than divorce.
I just give her the fish instead of trying to teach her to fish because if her life depended on her ability to fish - she would starve,
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (05-10-2018), ud2 (05-11-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
News on the 900 pound cable gorilla . . . .

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/di...ion-2018-05-08
So they don't want to listen to consumers, instead they just want to repackage their junk. No thanks Disney.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:31 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by oRed View Post
Supreme Court ruling on sports betting is due before July 1st, could come as soon as May14th. If they rule in favor of New Jersey then sports viewership will tick up again.
The SCOTUS just ruled 6-3 and struck down the federal ban on sports gambling. I think that ruling is in NJ's favor.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...ountry-n868956
Old 07-07-2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by oRed View Post
How long until legal sports betting reaches the casinos in Ohio?

I had no idea that Delaware already has legal sports betting as a result of the May SCOTUS ruling...first state other than Nevada to have legal sports betting.

http://www.realclearlife.com/sports/...on-in-revenue/:

According to the numbers, about 70,000 wagers for a total of just over $7 million in bets were placed across three locations from June 5 to June 24. Gamblers won back about $6 million, leaving the state with nearly $1 million in revenue.

Breaking it down to a daily rate, the state made about $52,600 per day from legal wagering.

Baseball accounted for 75 percent of the wagers, with the World Cup (10 percent) and NBA Finals (8 percent) making up the lion’s share of the remaining bets.

“We were pleasantly surprised,” said Delaware Lottery Director Vernon Kirk. “I’m cautiously optimistic, but check back with me when football season starts. No matter how you look at it, we have a good first few weeks, but I’d be surprised if it stayed that strong.”

Last edited by ud2; 07-07-2018 at 01:01 PM..
Old 07-07-2018, 02:02 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
This is totally off topic for UD basketball.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:17 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post

"Why?"
"What's an HDMI??"
"How?"
"Get the TV remove."
"OK I've got it."
"Push the input button."
"That button says AT&T."
(pause) (pause) (pause)
"What button?"

I thought my wife was an only child... I’m thinking of getting her TV a set of rabbit ears along with finding a six button remote... on,off,channel up, channel down, volume up, volume down.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:19 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer2 View Post
I thought my wife was an only child... I’m thinking of getting her TV a set of rabbit ears along with finding a six button remote... on,off,channel up, channel down, volume up, volume down.
I want one for self.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
This is totally off topic for UD basketball.
I thought it was somewhat on-topic...the spread of legalized sports gambling in the US could impact sports viewership and thus impact UD.

I wonder if the Ohio racinos have any claim to sports betting, or if the full-scale casinos have already laid claim to possible sports betting? This would be a bonanza for the racinos.

You could bet the Flyers game at the Dayton Raceway on your way to the game and collect your winnings on the way home.

Would seem to bring added local importance to the pre-game injury reports.

And I wonder about increased point shaving.

Last edited by ud2; 07-08-2018 at 10:33 PM..
Old 07-08-2018, 10:58 PM

Already talking about putting this on the Ohio 2019 ballot...talking about legalizing it state-wide, not just at the 4 casinos and 7 racinos.

http://www.toledoblade.com/State/201...s-betting.html
Old 07-09-2018, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I thought it was somewhat on-topic...the spread of legalized sports gambling in the US could impact sports viewership and thus impact UD.

I wonder if the Ohio racinos have any claim to sports betting, or if the full-scale casinos have already laid claim to possible sports betting? This would be a bonanza for the racinos.

You could bet the Flyers game at the Dayton Raceway on your way to the game and collect your winnings on the way home.

Would seem to bring added local importance to the pre-game injury reports.

And I wonder about increased point shaving.
Great, how about some verbiage to soccer in Cincinnati because that may effect UD basketball attendance.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:52 PM
Colonel

High drama with Comcast and VTN. Great article from Yahoo! Sports.
https://sports.yahoo.com/cord-cuttin...215556228.html
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Flyerferd For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (07-25-2018)