User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-23-2018, 04:48 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,569 Times in 5,077 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Observations from the Virginia Game and Other General Observations

Sometimes, it's no fun to dwell on what we observed in a loss, but I think so much was revealed about our team in the Virginia game, that I wanted to collect my thoughts on this thread.

1. We are capable of much more physical play than I expected of this squad. The Virginia game was called as if it were an NCAA Tournament game in the fact that you could have three people mugging one player simultaneously and not get a whistle. Going into this season, I did not expect that to be our desired style of play, but we are really good at it if we have to go there.

2. Virginia is a really good defensive team that moves it's feet exceptionally well, but they collected an awful lot of charging calls against us when their players were in a full run or at least in motion. I did not feel our defenders were afforded the same consideration under the rules. There was one flop by one of their enormous post players against Josh Cunningham that both players clearly laughed about after it was called on Josh as a charge. I felt we had a very unkind whistle for the majority of the game, so please don't ask me to "get over" that crucial 3 pointer where Obi was shoved away from the shooter in the final minute. I can't believe the DDN focused on that shot as a big-time dagger/play without mentioning the way that the opening was created. Anywho, I guess that is how the ball bounces sometimes, especially when you are an unexpected contender. Had to get that off my chest. I couldn't *****foot around it and pretend it was no happening, even though that is the unspoken expectation among message board basketball fans.

Josh Cunningham gets called for the offensive foul! (Posted as satire...)

3. Trey Landers played like a man-child in this game. He shines in these physical scrums. How many times was he in the mix right under the hoop, coming away with a board and sticking it back among the trees or pulling down a big defensive board? He reminds me somehow of Kyle Davis, a player who was so valuable because of his hustle and heart. The size of his impact on the game sometimes does not show in the stats. He is also wonderful in the open court like Kyle was, but he is probably more versatile than Kyle due to his size and physicality. When he switches on defense to a post player, he is not such an immediate target for a size mismatch.

4. When Obi Toppin had that vicious slam near the end of the game, I scared my young children with my reaction. UDscott, take note. This kid is a special player.

5. It goes without saying now that Josh Cunningham is the heart of the team right now. All league pre-season honors look well deserved when you perform like he has so far this year against top notch competition. It's easy to take that for granted every game.

6. I was not paying attention closely to the end of last season,so I kind of missed some of the development of Jalen Crutcher. Scoochie 2.0! Having a big man as good as Josh Cunningham and a PG as good as Crutcher goes a long way into making a very good basketball team. Those are winning ingredients most of the time.

7. You can tell by now that I am pleasantly surprised by this team this year. I expected us to be at a lower level of development at this time. I can't tell you how many times I thought to myself "This is not good fundamental basketball", while watching games last year. This year, so far, the contrast is astounding. Not only, are we somewhat talented and physically capable, we are generally playing disciplined and smart, unselfish basketball. That reflects really well on the coaching staff.

Last edited by Fudd; 11-23-2018 at 08:16 AM..
12 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-23-2018), CvilleFlyer (11-23-2018), Flyer Dave (11-23-2018), Gazoo (11-23-2018), Jeff (11-23-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-23-2018), Radar (11-23-2018), Runnin' Rebel (11-23-2018), San Diego Flyer (11-23-2018), Showme Flyer (11-23-2018), UDGutter2 (11-23-2018), UD_Earl (11-23-2018)
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2018, 08:08 AM
Captain

Don is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to behold
Totally agree

I could hardly believe we kept hanging as close as we did with #4 team in the country. We answered practically every time they stretched the lead to get back within reach. That reflects a surprising amount of grit and determination from a team as young as ours. Fudd is so right in crediting the coaching staff for getting the team to this point so rapidly. What enormous progress we've made on defense since the Capitol game. I thing Va was averaging over 80 ppg coming in to Atlantis (a gain of well over 20 ppg from their avg last season). They are known for defense but ours was right there with theirs. Add a 4-star outside shooter and another 6-10 stud to our mix and we'd be on the next level. I'm feeling much more confident that this may turn into considerably more than a "rebuilding" year of three or four wins more than last season. Looking forward to conference games with optimism.
MAJOR CONGRATULATIONS to the team and coaches for the performance so far!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Don For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-23-2018), UDGutter2 (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 08:13 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post

7. You can tell by now that I am pleasantly surprised by this team this year. I expected us to be at a lower level of development at this time. I can't tell you how many times I thought to myself "This is not good fundamental basketball", while watching games last year. This year, so far, the contrast is astounding. Not only, are we somewhat talented and physically capable, we are generally playing disciplined and smart. That reflects really well on the coaching staff.
I'm having a hard time separating the hard work of the offseason, which tends to be incremental not revolutionary, from the "addition by subtraction" impact. I think having our freshmen guards grow up a year is huge but you just can't attribute how much better we are this year vs. last year to 1 offseason and a couple of new guys.

We DID NOT prove that we're the #5 team in the country last night. But we're a pretty good basketball team.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 08:15 AM
Captain

Dogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant futureDogdaddy has a brilliant future
It is amazing how much better the coaching is when you have a talented group of players that actually want to play together. There are going to be down points in this season where the board goes nuts as if the sky is falling. However, what I have seen so far is an amazing shift in watch-ability of our team. Last season I couldn't get into it because the team wasn't likable. This team on the other hand is very enjoyable to watch and cheer on. I like the trajectory of the team under Grant with a lot more talent joining next year (even with the considerable loss of Josh). It won't be perfect, but it will be fun.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Dogdaddy For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-23-2018), Gazoo (11-23-2018), Radar (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 09:27 AM
Colonel

Bill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Don View Post
What enormous progress we've made on defense since the Capitol game.
I would argue that the "enormous progress" started after half time of the PFW game.
Mad Props to Bill202 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 09:29 AM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with the post. I also see the UVA game as lost opportunity. Made FT’s and a contribution from MS, JD, or JM, and we win the game. One more scoring threat would have been huge.

The reality is that a close loss to a top 4 team doesn’t help at year end. The next step is learning how to win big games. I think this squad will.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 10:41 AM
1st Lieutenant

sabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to all
I think Crutcher has shown more improvement in one year than any player I can remember. His ball handling and penetration skills are much improved.

We played two quality teams with some tall players and we held our own in rebounding.

Our switching defense is much improved. Isn't it amazing how more and better players make the defense and coaching better.

Obi has unlimited potential. Lets let him grow. This is Cunningham's team right now.

The exodus of players last year was a positive development.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sabo2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (11-23-2018), redbengal (11-24-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 10:41 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I don’t disagree with anything said above but want to add that not making the open 3s hurt us big time yesterday. I think that is a weakness of this team and against the top teams in the country you need to make enough of those if you want to win.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 05:53 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I'm having a hard time separating the hard work of the offseason, which tends to be incremental not revolutionary, from the "addition by subtraction" impact. I think having our freshmen guards grow up a year is huge but you just can't attribute how much better we are this year vs. last year to 1 offseason and a couple of new guys.

We DID NOT prove that we're the #5 team in the country last night. But we're a pretty good basketball team.
Great observation.

Subtracting jerkoff #1 from last year (white DC 6 8"guy) who like to chuck from outside. Kostas who had adjustment issues. Other PG transfer.

And add in hustlers like Obi, Matos, cohill. Night and Day who Coach Grant has to work with. Plus the fact we actually fight and value D... IT IS NIGHT and Day.

Very clear. With a lot to be excited about!
Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 06:09 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bill202 View Post
I would argue that the "enormous progress" started after half time of the PFW game.
That win did us a lot of favors. I would call it an "awakening", or"epiphany". We had it in us, but that opportunity and a nudge from the Coach at halftime did wonders for us.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:16 PM

Thanked 10,128 Times in 5,864 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
These guys now know and believe they can play with the best. Hopefully they do not play down to the talent of some in the A10.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-24-2018), San Diego Flyer (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 09:32 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Short of us winning at least 1 more game, Atlantis worked out about as well as it could have for our SOS. Butler won their last 2 games (including yesterday over Florida) and UVA beat Wisconsin for the Championship. So, our 3 “power conference” opponents went 3-0, 2-1, and 2-1 in Atlantis. I wish 2 of those victories hadn’t been over our Flyers, but that Butler win could become a gift that keeps on giving as the season wears on.

Next objective: beat Mississippi State!
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (11-24-2018), Flyer 86 (11-24-2018), jack72 (11-24-2018), San Diego Flyer (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 09:46 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I signed off after the last tv game thinking that aside from Stanford and M-Tenn, any of the remaining six could have won the tournament. No 500 lb gorilla. I think Virginia is maybe top 10, but not top 5.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Also, the players have to be confident the coaching staff is going to put them in situations to succeed. There were a lot of nice adjustments by Grant and Company this week.