User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018, 03:15 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
Trey on XW in Archdeacon article

and I paraphrase......I TELL HIM TO PRACTICE HARD
AND COACH WILL PLAY YOU.....no mention of XW
bad back.
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2018, 04:33 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Bad back, sore throat...baloney! I think the guy did not want to work as hard as Anthony wanted him to work. Hence, he is collecting splinters in his butt and may not see another minute of court time in his UD career. If you don't want to play Grant-ball, then hit the road. I have never been as disappointed in a player as I am with X. I truly saw him being a 15 point/8 rebound player this year. But he failed to capitalize on the opportunity and now he is likely heading for a year out and maybe finish at another D-1 or just go to D-2 next year. I am beyond the "bad back" theory. That was pure horse manure from the start.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-20-2018), longtimefan67 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
and I paraphrase......I TELL HIM TO PRACTICE HARD
AND COACH WILL PLAY YOU.....no mention of XW
bad back.
I cringed a little when I read that. That’s the sort of thing that needs to stay in the locker room. Frankly surprised Arch printed it. I haven’t read the article (paywall).
Old 02-19-2018, 04:44 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Perhaps he printed it to avoid a Staten situation where coach don't say anything and fans would jump on BG for not playing top local recruit. While situations are different they are similar in that both caused bad chemistry. This way the story I s out in the open on both XW and Pierce.

If neither stay it was due to their own choices not a coach running players off for no good reason.

Crosby is a different animal. Just don't have good D1 skills or court IQ. Maybe a summer under AG he could be salvageable.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:45 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Well one week ago AG was asked about XW on his coaches show. He mentioned his bad back and weight loss. If he's healthy he could have simply stated such.
Throwing players under the bus publicly is never a good idea from the recruiting standpoint.
Having radio people or your players do it is even a worse idea.
If XW and AG don't get along then fine its not that uncommon when you bring in a new coach and the existing players have to adjust.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Furio For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (02-20-2018), OSU Flyer (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 10:59 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyers98 View Post
I cringed a little when I read that. That’s the sort of thing that needs to stay in the locker room. Frankly surprised Arch printed it. I haven’t read the article (paywall).
In most cases, it should probably stay in the locker room. But maybe the some of the players have had enough of the speculation because it has been kept in the locker room so far.

It's Arch's job to report it if he is told something like that. While he has been good to and for UD, he is not the Director of PR.
Mad Props to Bucketnight For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 07:18 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bucketnight View Post
It's Arch's job to report it if he is told something like that. While he has been good to and for UD, he is not the Director of PR.
This is true. But Archdeacon also inserts a lot of "supposition" into his stories, especially when it comes to off-the-court issues. You could almost put this thread under "stir the pot"...as Arch often likes to do.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:12 PM
Colonel

Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
I will disagree. There is nothing good that can come from one player publicly criticizing another player in the media. If you want to challenge him in the locker room or on the practice floor fine. These are two college kids, they both went to the same high school, I would guess they are or at least were friends.

I do want to clarify that the story I saw was a Jablo story. If there is an Arch article I haven't seen it. That said, you are correct that his job is to report but there is always discretion involved. For instance, I got super PO'ed the other night when Shaun White won his gold medal and unfortunately forgot that he was holding the American flag in his hands. I was way more mad at NBC than White. Why? Because Shaun White is in the heat and emotion of a moment and I can cut him some slack, (I also surmise from previous statements he has made that he loves this country and wasn't disrespecting the flag intentionally). NBC however CHOSE to keep a camera on him for an excruciating period of time, they could have cut to another camera and had somebody take the flag from him or gently remind him that he was holding the flag, but they didn't. They chose to just give the raw, as it happened, imagery and in the process they made a guy that just won a gold medal look like a jerk.

Same thing here. Does he have the right to ask the questions and print the answers, absolutely. Should he have? I wouldn't have. At a minimum he may find his access to the players and program regulated a bit more strictly, or he may have caused AG to tell the team "don't talk to the media about anything that didn't just happen on the court." In any event, I am guessing it didn't help whatever issues X is having.

Last edited by Flyers98; 02-20-2018 at 01:16 PM..
Old 02-20-2018, 01:29 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Violation of Good Faith?

When a player of Xeyrius William's ability and reputation chooses to disappoint his team mates, coaches and fans as a Junior who was expected to start and perhaps achieve A10 Conference recognition, it is a very serious matter. If it is injury driven then there may be HIPPA reasons for the Team and University to avoid explanation. Each player who earns a scholarship to play for Dayton or any other college program has an affirmative duty to extend his or her best efforts in good faith to contribute to the team in reciprocation for the contract entered. Coach Grant is presented with a very difficult situation as to how to respond when a player
intentionally sabotages UD's season.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:33 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
What Landers told him has been said by countless players/coaches on that team. It ain't a secret and it certainly is not a secret watching an entire Dayton community watching X sitting on the bench every game with zero minutes.......
Old 02-20-2018, 01:37 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Had any of you attended the Royal Luncheon today you'd know the dirt on this story...SMH....

But don't worry...there's always next year, my minions!!
Old 02-20-2018, 01:40 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Way too many unknowns here - like the actual article or forum of the quote, what the actual quote was, what's been said to XW behind closed door/locker room already. I can't make a judgment on any of this until more information is provided to offer a full perspective.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:48 PM

Thanked 2,206 Times in 972 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
AG has expressed the same sentiment as Trey using different words. Crutcher did as well. Both, when asked about Westerfield getting minutes, cited the same things.
He busts his butt in practice. He plays hard. He shows up on time. He works hard on defense.
The article was about how Trey handled sitting last year and how he worked hard for his time this year. He just happened to mention that he talks to his friend about his approach to being successful.
Personally, I found the "shows up on time" comment to be interesting.
Bucketnight (02-21-2018), ClaytonFlyerFan (02-20-2018), jumpin' joe (02-20-2018), Radar (02-20-2018), rollo (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 01:49 PM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
At this point in the season, I think its easy to assume that much effort by the coaching staff has been put into getting more effort out of a certain number of players on the team. Perhaps Landers and others are just sick of the dog and pony show and are willing to put it all out there, or perhaps he didn't really think much about it and was overly honest. At the end of the day, if XW or any other member of this team is ****ed that they are being called out for not working hard enough, that is on XW or whomever is ****ed off far more than it is on the player(s) not putting in the work asked of them.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:44 PM
Major General

Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
I will disagree. There is nothing good that can come from one player publicly criticizing another player in the media. If you want to challenge him in the locker room or on the practice floor fine. These are two college kids, they both went to the same high school, I would guess they are or at least were friends.

I do want to clarify that the story I saw was a Jablo story. If there is an Arch article I haven't seen it. That said, you are correct that his job is to report but there is always discretion involved. For instance, I got super PO'ed the other night when Shaun White won his gold medal and unfortunately forgot that he was holding the American flag in his hands. I was way more mad at NBC than White. Why? Because Shaun White is in the heat and emotion of a moment and I can cut him some slack, (I also surmise from previous statements he has made that he loves this country and wasn't disrespecting the flag intentionally). NBC however CHOSE to keep a camera on him for an excruciating period of time, they could have cut to another camera and had somebody take the flag from him or gently remind him that he was holding the flag, but they didn't. They chose to just give the raw, as it happened, imagery and in the process they made a guy that just won a gold medal look like a jerk.

Same thing here. Does he have the right to ask the questions and print the answers, absolutely. Should he have? I wouldn't have. At a minimum he may find his access to the players and program regulated a bit more strictly, or he may have caused AG to tell the team "don't talk to the media about anything that didn't just happen on the court." In any event, I am guessing it didn't help whatever issues X is having.
It was an Arch story and you have to be a DDN subscriber to see it. And anyone who thinks XW is still in some way injured is ignoring the extended minutes (relatively speaking) he got in the Mason blowout.

Excerpt from Arch's story. Quote from Landers, which also addresses XW:

He said he’s offered similar advice to Williams:

“Me and X talk. I tell him just to control what he can control. You want to play, but it’s not your decision. It’s up to coach. I tell him it starts in practice. You have to work.”

As for Westerfield, Landers said:

“Jack shows up day in and day out to practice. He’s always on time. I feel like he’s bought into what Coach Grant wants. He busts his butt ..and he deserves to play.”

Last edited by Radar; 02-20-2018 at 03:02 PM..
Old 02-20-2018, 02:50 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Had any of you attended the Royal Luncheon today you'd know the dirt on this story...SMH....
My invitation must've been lost in the mail...
Old 02-20-2018, 04:46 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute

Or if anyone wanted to share on PP or DM. But if not, that's okay too.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 05:27 PM
1st Lieutenant

Shawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of light
Friends I believe most of you have over estimated X with regard to his skill level??? The kid is not that talented!!! I don't believe he just isn't trying he is over matched because he is a kid that is not driven and he can not help his skill level if he doesn't have that overwhelming drive to be the best.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:00 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute

Tease!!
Old 02-20-2018, 06:37 PM
Colonel

Please don’t confuse what I’m saying as a criticism of Trey or how AG is handling the situation. As a fan I don't feel I’m entitled to know how the sausage is made with respect to team dynamics. If he is a problem, sit him, no explanation required. I think most fans are astute enough to know what it means when walk ons sub in before guys on scholarship. I’m just saying I don’t think publicly shaming a guy does anything for team chemistry but I also concede that being a ***tbag doesn’t help chemistry either.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:00 PM
Captain

Fairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to behold

Rollo, I have it on good authority that one of your minions did not attend due to an unscheduled medical appointment.
Mad Props to Fairborn Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (02-21-2018)