Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 11:11 AM
1st Lieutenant

flyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to behold
What a difference a week makes - Time to Reset Expectations

A week ago today their remained many questions. While the flyers were winning they had not displayed anything on the court to make many of us expect anything different this year.
That has now changed and we know:

1) Archie can get them to play defense
2) they are fearless and will not be intimidated by anyone
3) they are playing with aggressiveness - first to the ball, making plays happen
4) they can play tough and physical
5) they don't give up and fight to the end

I don't see anyone left of the schedule they cant beat if they play as well as they have in the last two games.

I now expect them to contend for the A-10 championship.
I now expect them to play in the NCAA tournament
I expect them to improve and be ranked by late January

We have a lot to celebrate. If Archie can continue to keep them playing at the level of the last three games this will be a very good year.

While I don't like to lose especially when we let one get away, the Baylor loss will not hurt us. The game today is extremely important as Cal is one the best teams that remain on our schedule and is another opportunity for a quality win that we will need on selection Sunday.

Instead of armchair coaching and calling out players lets celebrate being on the national stage 6 games into the season.

Last edited by flyerman; 11-27-2013 at 11:32 AM..
12 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyerman For This Totally Excellent Post:
46 Chambers Alumni (11-27-2013), cralford (11-27-2013), Flyer 86 (11-29-2013), flyerfanatic86 (11-27-2013), GoFlyer (11-27-2013), mikeymo85 (11-27-2013), springborofan (11-27-2013), TommyGola (11-29-2013), UD62 (11-27-2013), UDBaby (11-27-2013), Viperstick (11-29-2013), westchesterflyer (11-27-2013)
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,743 Times in 798 Posts
UDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerman View Post
A week ago today their remained many questions. While the flyers were winning they had not displayed anything on the court to make many of us expect anything different this year.
That has now changed and we know:

1) Archie can get them to play defense
2) they are fearless and will not be intimidated by anyone
3) they are playing with aggressiveness - first to the ball, making plays happen
4) they can play tough and physical
5) they don't give up and fight to the end

I don't see anyone left of the schedule they cant beat if they play as well as they have in the last two games.

I now expect them to contend for the A-10 championship.
I now expect them to play in the NCAA tournament
I expect them to improve and be ranked by late January

We have a lot to celebrate. If Archie can continue to keep them playing at the level of the last three games this will be a very good year.

While I don't like to lose especially when we let one get away, the Baylor loss will not hurt us. The game today is extremely important as Cal is one the best teams that remain on our schedule.

Instead of armchair coaching and calling out players lets celebrate being on the national stage 6 games into the season.
Great post....but now its all about how they get up off the mat, starting tonight.

Either they dust themselves off and come out fighting, energized with well-founded confidence....or not.

It all starts tonight and carries into the A-10 season, which will be the real test for AM and his boys.

Look, I love beating BcS schools too, but its easy for a UD to get up for those games (the team, fans...everybody)....its quite another to go out and beat the snot out of teams in your league week in and week out.....to bring it against everyone in the A-10, rise to the top, dominate and contend for a championship.

These early holiday tourney's are great for a thousand reasons (besides UD Alum tanning and kicking some BcS arse)....but at the end of the day all that really matters is if AM can get these Flyers to dominate and win in the A-10. And from what I see, there's no reason they can't...shouldn't.

Let's go Flyers....Get the hell up, wipe yourselves off, and start a new winning streak that will carry us into the A-10 tourney...and then..well, one milestone at a time.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBaby For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (11-29-2013), FlyerGuyer (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,510 Times in 825 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Every game on the schedule is winnable, but we can't expect to win them all either.

I think we'll still drop one of the non-con games we shouldn't lose. Iona perhaps, but figure 8-1 for the buy games (plus Ill St). We have the loss against Baylor, and we still have Cal, USC, and Ole Miss coming up. I'm hopeful that we can take 2 of those 3. That puts us at 12-3 for the non-con.

In conference, we should be able to go .500 on the road and lose no more than 2 at home. So 10-6 at a minimum, but hopefully better than that. That's 21-9, which would put us on the bubble. 22-8 would probably be the right side of the bubble. 23-7 and I'd feel safely in.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
I am anxious to see how we play again tonight against a quality opponent. This is what I observed the past two nights about the returning players

Devin – He’s played well in the past two games. He shows leadership by example. I hope the good shooting continues.

Kavs – He played better last night. He seems to be pressing less. I think he’ll play better in the A10 where the bigs are more like him.

Vee – If he plays under control, he’ll be a nice lift coming off the bench.

Scott – He looks to be our best post threat. I’d like to see him play with his back to the basketball.

Jalen – I'm not sure what's missing for him. I’m not sure he gets PT until next season.

Khari – Nice versatile guard. Plays good D and shoots very well. He’ll be a great guard off the bench as a scorer come his JR and SR seasons.

Siebert – He’s excellent college player. Hes’s the type of go to guy you need to win the close games.

Pierre – It doesn’t look like he’ll have a Sophmore slump. He’ll be a force as a Senior.

Schoocie – He’s a true PG. I like how Archie is bringing him along. He shows a ton of confidence for a FR.

Pollard – He’s really athletic and plays bigger than his frame. He can probably guard three different positions. He’s also a great passer.

Team observations
- 9 of the 10 mentioned are Archie recruits.
- This team played well against the Baylor Zone. They learned after facing the Zags
- If we pass effectively, we won’t press on our perimeter shooting.
- Archie has contacts at the AAU level to get quality players. I trust his recruiting prowess.
- His team made adjustments against Gonzaga. They also seem well prepared for what Baylor would be doing. Archie seems know the opponent.

- We’re better than 7th in the A10.

- Our perimeter shooting allows us to take the ball to the hole. We have 4 guys that can take the defender off the dribble.

- We’re close to an NCAA caliber team. We have the potential to make the dance.

Go Flyers
Old 11-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
DMO and Kavs were both Brian "Bum" Gregory recruits
Old 11-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Windy City Flyer View Post
Khari – Nice versatile guard. Plays good D and shoots very well. He’ll be a great guard off the bench as a scorer come his JR and SR seasons.
I was in the camp who believed Scoochie should be starting from day 1 this season, but the more I watch Khari the more I believe he will not be leaving the starting lineup. Scoochie has tremendous potential, but Khari is so smart and runs the offense so well. The only thing he lacks is the ability to break his defender down and get to the rim. But when I start getting down on him last night for this inability, he suprises me and makes a great move for a drive and a layup. He keeps surprising me every game with how good he is and I am now believing he is the most important player on this team.

We may be seeing some lineups a few years down the road that involves both Scoochie and Khari. But lets worry about this season first. Khari da man!
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to anthonycharles For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-29-2013), Mark_K (11-27-2013), Pronto (11-29-2013), Sid Louick (11-27-2013), TMPH66 (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 06:32 PM
1st Lieutenant

sabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to all
What I think we now know:
1. Sibert is the real deal and not just an OSU cast off.
2. The three freshmen are capable of competing at this level
3. KP has worked and developed a complete game.
4. Our bench rotations are effective.
5. Ball movement is better than last years guard centered penetration
6. Scott has learned not to foul so much

Time will tell, but we now know that we can compete for the A-10 championship. Last night we lost but the last play was executed very well. We got the ball to the right person, he got a great look and the tip in just missed.Last year, we would have dribbled around and taken an off balance desperation shot.

Last edited by sabo2; 11-27-2013 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Spelling
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sabo2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-29-2013), flyerman (11-27-2013), TA111 (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 06:55 PM
1st Lieutenant

sabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to all
Before I forget:
1. Double teamed under the basket, Scott made the best kick out pass I've seen from a center.
2. KP made a terrific full court bounce pass.
3. Freshman Smith made a very fine entry pass.

Little things like these, should be noticed.
Mad Props to sabo2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-29-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Cliche. It's all about how you respond after getting knocked down. Pleased with the effort, patience, and the number of folks contributing thus far. Defense had me worried, seems to be improving step by step. They are playing as a unit rather than a collection of players. We will see where they are after OOC but they're improving.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:09 AM
Academy Doolie

Dynamite '05 has a spectacular aura aboutDynamite '05 has a spectacular aura about
Lots of basketball left. I think it will be a tale of two teams this season.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:08 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,592 Times in 3,714 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dynamite '05 View Post
Lots of basketball left. I think it will be a tale of two teams this season.
Yep, agree. Tale of two teams again this season.

Fortunately the first teams season lasted for 1 full game and 35 minutes of the 2nd game.

Then team #2 that Archie has worked hard to put together over the last 3 years showed up. Team #2 is who we will see the rest of the season. The team that is deep, has a chip on their shoulder, the team that is well coached, led by a very hungry 4 year senior, and energized off the bench by a few very energetic and talented freshmen and sophomores.

Yes, their will be a couple minor bumps in the road where we come out on the short end at the end of the night, but we will quickly bounce back. This is a new era, where we are moving forward, and not looking back.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Major

westchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to all
I had them 10-5 in the OOC. Moving that to 13-2. I had them losing to GT and going 1-2 in Maui. Also had them losing at Ill. state (now a win). Hope I'm wrong about the Ole Miss game.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by westchesterflyer View Post
I had them 10-5 in the OOC. Moving that to 13-2. I had them losing to GT and going 1-2 in Maui. Also had them losing at Ill. state (now a win). Hope I'm wrong about the Ole Miss game.

With as combustible as Marshall Henderson is and his tendency to make Jordan Crawford look like a selective shooter i think we beat Ole Miss. Especially with the Combo of KD3 and KP blanketing him. I know generally you wouldnt have KP guard the opposite SG but shouldnt an exception be made here?
Old 11-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
After watching Davis shut Cobbs down in the Cal game, I think at this point expect Davis to get some pt that game and guard Henderson. While Davis gives up a couple of inches, his jumping ability and quick hands can really disrupt a shooter's rhythm.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Before the season started there was a long list of questions some of which are listed below. It appears that many of these questions have a positive answer unlike many previous seasons.

Has Khari improved and will the freshmen pts be able to help? YES
Will Sibert be anything close to advertised? A HUGE YES
Will the freshman improve significantly from last year? A HUGE YES
Can the defense improve significantly from last year? A HUGE YES
Can they get senior leadership and improvement from DMO? YES

I am surprised that Sibert doesn't get more talk on this board, he has been a stud, everything that even an optimistic fan could hope for.
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-29-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,230 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian
Before the season started there was a long list of questions some of which are listed below. It appears that many of these questions have a positive answer unlike many previous seasons.

After game one I would have said no to both of these - it seems we've improved more this month then we did from March to November!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:53 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post

Has Khari improved and will the freshmen pts be able to help? YES
Will Sibert be anything close to advertised? A HUGE YES
Can they get senior leadership and improvement from DMO? YES

I am surprised that Sibert doesn't get more talk on this board, he has been a stud, everything that even an optimistic fan could hope for.
Sibert not only has great shooting form. His very tight ball rotation, release and shot setup are stellar. He has NBA caliber skills in regards to shooting, and often taking guys to the rack.

OUr D has improved much more than I thought it could. Check!

The freshman all have improved... most Khari and Scott . Khari improving his offensive skills is a big big bonus. Check!

Senior leadership is key. Always seem to let us down the last 5 years. Hopefully not this year. Check!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:57 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by anthonycharles View Post
I was in the camp who believed Scoochie should be starting from day 1 this season, but the more I watch Khari the more I believe he will not be leaving the starting lineup. Scoochie has tremendous potential, but Khari is so smart and runs the offense so well. The only thing he lacks is the ability to break his defender down and get to the rim. But when I start getting down on him last night for this inability, he suprises me and makes a great move for a drive and a layup. He keeps surprising me every game with how good he is and I am now believing he is the most important player on this team.

We may be seeing some lineups a few years down the road that involves both Scoochie and Khari. But lets worry about this season first. Khari da man!
Where Khari has Scooch beat is he's a gamer pure and simple. May go thru some dry periods. But that play at IPFW was over the top good man. 998 guys out of 1000 DON"T make that interception (and recover and pass it).

He's had other key rebounds and shots at the right time as well. When other team was going on a run or at the end of the game on the rebound the other day. I really wasn't sure Khari had all he is showing us in him.

Good for you Khari!! And he's only a soph .