User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-03-2019, 01:21 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
HS game swaps free throw shooters intentionally

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more...rBN?ocid=ientp

What is the penalty??
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2019, 01:56 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Is 'unsportsmanlike' offensive?? Shouldn't it be 'unsportspersonlike'?

First of all, it should never happen. I don't care if the Octo-mom had 8 boys and all played basketball. That's why there are numbers on the uniforms. I don't call a foul on Joey Smith. I call a foul on #23. And if it's a shooting foul, I will point out the shooter to my partners who then set up the teams around the FT lane while I report the foul.

If all 3 varsity officials missed this, they are meat.

If the King catches this happening, the player who shoots (and shouldn't) gets a 'T' for illegal FT shooting and the coach gets tossed after getting a 'T' for unsportsmanlike conduct and another for attempting to show up an official.
Alberto Strasse (01-05-2019), Justin (01-04-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 02:15 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
If the coach, who is their father, was complicit, then he should not only be tossed from this game, but should also get a multi-game suspension imho.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:53 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Even worse is the father/coach is the school principal.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:32 PM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
They should be made to forfeit every game this can be proved was done, and the head coach should receive a multiple game suspension by whatever league they are in.
Mad Props to TheDuke2003 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (01-04-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 05:57 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
If the King catches this happening, the player who shoots (and shouldn't) gets a 'T' for illegal FT shooting and the coach gets tossed after getting a 'T' for unsportsmanlike conduct and another for attempting to show up an official.
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
If the coach, who is their father, was complicit, then he should not only be tossed from this game, but should also get a multi-game suspension imho.
Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 View Post
They should be made to forfeit every game this can be proved was done, and the head coach should receive a multiple game suspension by whatever league they are in.

Oh yeah? I think he should be publicly flogged, drawn and quartered, and then use his innards to heat the school during the next basketball game.

It's gamesmanship. If you get away with it, it's part of the game. If you get caught, I have no problem with the T from rollo.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (01-04-2019), rollo (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 10:49 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Oh yeah? I think he should be publicly flogged, drawn and quartered, and then use his innards to heat the school during the next basketball game.

It's gamesmanship. If you get away with it, it's part of the game. If you get caught, I have no problem with the T from rollo.
Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are good at gamesmanship!
Old 01-03-2019, 11:40 PM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold

It's cheating, and if you get caught the penalties should be severe. Great job by dad letting his kids know he doesn't have confidence in his other sons to take those shots, really capturing the spirit of youth athletics there.
Mad Props to TheDuke2003 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (01-04-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 11:54 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Didn’t this happen with Kentucky under Pitino with Travis Ford?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2019, 08:21 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Didn’t this happen with Kentucky under Pitino with Travis Ford?
Posted via Mobile Device
yes

He suspended starting guard Travis Ford, starting forward Jared Pric*ett
and reserve center Gimel Martinez for one game... twice in a game against
Vanderbilt, the wrong player went to the free throw line...

the next game against Tennessee, he suspended them.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:41 AM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
It's cheating, and if you get caught the penalties should be severe.
So I trust you don't drive 1 MPH over the speed limit? Not "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine" but if you intentionally drive 1 MPH over that's a serious breach of ethics, and you should never be able to hold a job again.

Playing football, if an offensive lineman holds he should be kicked off the team. I mean, coaches actually teach guys the proper way to hold so they don't get caught, but the rules are pretty clear. That's intentional cheating = multi-game suspension.

If you are taking a charge and the guy really doesn't make any contact and you fall down hard, you should be kicked off the team. There's no room for that in sports.

In all these examples there are prescribed penalties which should be followed. I don't think "multi-game suspension" is the penalty prescribed, and nobody needs to fall on their sword and volunteer for a multi-game suspension. I think the refs just need to pay attention and do their job.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
However one sees the punishment for the action, Having the coach,( father and principle) act the way he did and intentionally violate the rules is not an example that should be given to the young. Of course if the coach's motto is" it is only cheating if you get caught", and that is the new standard of behavior then maybe he should get a commendation for doing what it takes to win.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:29 PM
Major

So I trust you don't drive 1 MPH over the speed limit? Not "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine" but if you intentionally drive 1 MPH over that's a serious breach of ethics, and you should never be able to hold a job again.

Playing football, if an offensive lineman holds he should be kicked off the team. I mean, coaches actually teach guys the proper way to hold so they don't get caught, but the rules are pretty clear. That's intentional cheating = multi-game suspension.

If you are taking a charge and the guy really doesn't make any contact and you fall down hard, you should be kicked off the team. There's no room for that in sports.

In all these examples there are prescribed penalties which should be followed. I don't think "multi-game suspension" is the penalty prescribed, and nobody needs to fall on their sword and volunteer for a multi-game suspension. I think the refs just need to pay attention and do their job.
I may not like it, but if I get a ticket for speeding 1 mph over the limit, then that's still within the rules. Penalties like holding have a determined penalty, so that comparison is bunk. This would be more like the Patriots deflating balls, or taping other teams practices, both of which caused rather harsh penalties.

Honestly, I think it offends me more as a father than it does as a sports fan.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:03 PM
General

I may not like it, but if I get a ticket for speeding 1 mph over the limit, then that's still within the rules. Penalties like holding have a determined penalty, so that comparison is bunk. This would be more like the Patriots deflating balls, or taping other teams practices, both of which caused rather harsh penalties.

Honestly, I think it offends me more as a father than it does as a sports fan.
But you're saying breaking a rule intentionally and with malice is the problem, aren't you? So if you intentionally go 1 MPH over the limit then you have intentionally broken the law and you should throw yourself in jail.

But, you're also saying that if the OHSAA (or whoever) passed a rule that said "any team caught trying to intentionally swap FT shooters will be assessed a technical foul" then it becomes a defined penalty (like holding, and unlike deflated balls which did not have a defined rule), and then it ceases to be a moral problem for you? Just the existence of a rule book which addresses the specific act is how you draw your distinction between moral and immoral?

Well, I'll just say that's an interesting take on life.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:27 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think we should have a good laugh over the whole thing and how clever and original it was.

And then when we are through, suspend all of them for the rest of the season.

What are they going to do next? Slip over to the scores table at halftime and alter the number of personal fouls they have so they get a couple extra?
Old 01-05-2019, 01:15 AM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

As a former teacher and basketball coach I’m ****ed off. I believe the OSHA shoud suspend the coach and look at banning him. If identified two of the sons should be suspend for a game.

Games that this happened in should be forfeited.

Additionally, the school superintendent should suspend him without pay and bring him before the school board to have him reprimanded with that going in his permanent record. He is an embarrassment to the school district.

And that is Gamesmanship Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time. Bring back the stocks in the town square and the rotten fruit......No Rocks
Mad Props to Flyer2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 07:03 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe many of the sports rules listed above are players trying to get an advantage over their opponent. Swapping free throw shooters, or faking charges, to me, are more of trying to pull one over on the official. Trying to trick the official, who has a very tough job, is unsportsmanlike, and rises to another level.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:51 PM
General

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
I believe many of the sports rules listed above are players trying to get an advantage over their opponent. Swapping free throw shooters, or faking charges, to me, are more of trying to pull one over on the official. Trying to trick the official, who has a very tough job, is unsportsmanlike, and rises to another level.
Kind of like pretending you didn't touch a ball on the way out of bounds when you know you did? FLOG HIM!!