UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-12-2024, 07:35 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
That sounds like the #1 rivalry in the BE then. Sounds like PC hates UConn, while UConn tries to act like they don't care about beating PC.

Also, PC vs. Georgetown due to Cooley.

The Villanova/Georgetown/Saint John's rivalries have died down I assume because SJU and GU have fallen back.

UConn had rivalries with Syracuse and Pitt and BC.

The Xavier/Butler thing isn't really a rivalry IMO, there just isn't enough animosity there.

If Dayton were added, Dayton vs. Xavier would be the biggest rivalry IMO.

A lot of these BE schools I suppose haven't been together long enough for rivalries to form.

Good thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBask...nce_rivalries/
Reading down into the thread it was interesting to see the connections between Marquette and Creighton that got them into the Big East. They are both in the same Jesuit Province, Creighton's President was on the Board at MU, some other Jesuit priest at Creighton had a twin brother working at MU. All that Jesuit conspiracy stuff looks like it is true.
Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-12-2024)
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2024, 09:45 AM

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDEE79 View Post
Reading down into the thread it was interesting to see the connections between Marquette and Creighton that got them into the Big East. They are both in the same Jesuit Province, Creighton's President was on the Board at MU, some other Jesuit priest at Creighton had a twin brother working at MU. All that Jesuit conspiracy stuff looks like it is true.
Yeah, apparently Loyola Chicago has a connection with Marquette also, I wasn't aware of that, I hope LUC isn't under consideration as a BE expansion candidate, I assume DePaul would already represent the Chicago market enough such that LUC wouldn't be considered.

I wasn't even aware that DePaul had two campuses in Chicago, I have driven thru the Loop campus in downtown Chicago, I thought that was the only campus, the main campus is northwest of downtown, shows you how little I know about Chicago.

From the link:

Fwiw, Loyola Chicago is the other school that I guarantee the MU admin would go to bat for if they ever found themselves in consideration for the Big East, simply because of the Jesuit connection.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:10 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Yeah, apparently Loyola Chicago has a connection with Marquette also, I wasn't aware of that, I hope LUC isn't under consideration as a BE expansion candidate, I assume DePaul would already represent the Chicago market enough such that LUC wouldn't be considered.

I wasn't even aware that DePaul had two campuses in Chicago, I have driven thru the Loop campus in downtown Chicago, I thought that was the only campus, the main campus is northwest of downtown, shows you how little I know about Chicago.

From the link:

Fwiw, Loyola Chicago is the other school that I guarantee the MU admin would go to bat for if they ever found themselves in consideration for the Big East, simply because of the Jesuit connection.
Marquette would only be one of the 9 votes they would need to get invited. As an aside, if you assume that they wouldn't want two teams in the Chicago market, (a market that is about 9,000,000 people), would it not then also stand to reason that they wouldn't want two teams in the Cinci market, (added together the Dayton and Cinci metro areas are about 2.5M people)?

At the end of the day if Loyola were to get invited and UD not, I would be shocked.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:10 PM
Colonel

zmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud of
This thread is hilarious
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2024, 12:48 PM
1st Lieutenant

Dillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of light
TWIW, this article was posted yesterday regarding the Big East TV negotiations. The thing that is striking to me is that the Big East is holding out for a third TV partner. Maybe for the reason for this is that they will have more inventory to sell to networks through expansion?

https://awfulannouncing.com/college-...medium=twitter
Mad Props to Dillomernda For This Totally Excellent Post:
CoffeeCan (03-16-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 12:23 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Saw a tweet that Clemson has filed a motion to get out of their Grant of Rights obligations with the ACC (translation, they want to move conferences but don't want to forfeit 10 years or whatever it is of TV money)

I'm not sure if this is in conjunction with the lawsuit that Florida St has filed to get out of the same GoR obligation or if this is a separate lawsuit in a separate jurisdiction. If its separate, it may make the ultimate break up of the ACC easier and the move to 2 super conferences w/ some to the SEC and some to the B10 and possible a few to the B12.

On a side note, I wonder what the brass in the Big East thought about only getting 3 bids to the dance? I'm sure they felt confident in getting 4 or 5 teams.
Old 03-19-2024, 12:47 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
Saw a tweet that Clemson has filed a motion to get out of their Grant of Rights obligations with the ACC (translation, they want to move conferences but don't want to forfeit 10 years or whatever it is of TV money)

I'm not sure if this is in conjunction with the lawsuit that Florida St has filed to get out of the same GoR obligation or if this is a separate lawsuit in a separate jurisdiction. If its separate, it may make the ultimate break up of the ACC easier and the move to 2 super conferences w/ some to the SEC and some to the B10 and possible a few to the B12.

On a side note, I wonder what the brass in the Big East thought about only getting 3 bids to the dance? I'm sure they felt confident in getting 4 or 5 teams.

Separate jurisdiction, second lawsuit. What they need to do is just let football have a super conference, possibly have some mechanism for soccer style relegation, and regionalize everything else. Football programs can regularly travel from Piscataway, New Jersey to Los Angeles. Women’s rowing and men’s fencing teams cannot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2024, 12:59 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
They were not happy and sent a correspondence to the NCAA.
Old 03-19-2024, 03:05 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,429 Times in 754 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
In the age of conference realignment and mega conferences, I would love to see a conference marriage of 14-16 teams from the MVC and the A10. Create some sort of attendance and spending minimums. It would be a fun conference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2024, 03:08 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
In the age of conference realignment and mega conferences, I would love to see a conference marriage of 14-16 teams from the MVC and the A10. Create some sort of attendance and spending minimums. It would be a fun conference.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd prefer the Mountain West or even the American.
Old 03-19-2024, 03:12 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I totally agree but I think we are spoiled by UD. Of course we would meet the attendance goals and spending goals but is that realistic for another 13-15 teams? I read not to long ago, that per Forbes or whoever does these hypothetical franchise valuations, UD is the most valuable program in the NCAA for non football conference participants, and is #2 in revenue for non football conference participants. We even beat out a lot of those football conference schools.

My question is: do other schools that aren't Duke or North Carolina sell out every game like we do? Do their fans travel? I sort of think part of the problem is that UD is fairly unique among non-football schools.
Old 03-19-2024, 03:38 PM
1st Lieutenant

dannardo is a jewel in the roughdannardo is a jewel in the roughdannardo is a jewel in the roughdannardo is a jewel in the rough
I wonder if the Big East takes a step back to rethink their conference model after getting just 3 teams in the tournament. Or will they remain confident that this year was just an aberration?
Old 03-19-2024, 03:43 PM
Brigadier General

Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
I'd prefer the Mountain West or even the American.
The Mountain West would be great, but I can’t imagine everyone being good with the travel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2024, 03:44 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Flyers98 View Post
I totally agree but I think we are spoiled by UD. Of course we would meet the attendance goals and spending goals but is that realistic for another 13-15 teams? I read not to long ago, that per Forbes or whoever does these hypothetical franchise valuations, UD is the most valuable program in the NCAA for non football conference participants, and is #2 in revenue for non football conference participants. We even beat out a lot of those football conference schools.

My question is: do other schools that aren't Duke or North Carolina sell out every game like we do? Do their fans travel? I sort of think part of the problem is that UD is fairly unique among non-football schools.
The minimum requirements would be below (even well below) UD but above (even well above) Fordham.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2024, 03:52 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by dannardo View Post
I wonder if the Big East takes a step back to rethink their conference model after getting just 3 teams in the tournament. Or will they remain confident that this year was just an aberration?
I think the Big East will have to accept what the streaming folks tell them. The Big East is going to do what it needs rather than wants. Which game gets more eyeballs: Big East game with Providence v Seton Hall or a Big East game with new members UD v VCU?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2024, 05:09 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,182 Times in 579 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
They were not happy and sent a correspondence to the NCAA.
IMHO I think there were two factors that kept the BE from getting 5 or 6 bids this year:

1) There were a good number of upsets in conference tournaments. We need to look no further than the A-10 with Duquesne stealing a bid. NC State was a bid stealer as was New Mexico by winning their respective conference tournaments. Are there more that I am missing?

2) I think there is some merit in what Shaka Smart has come out and said earlier today: DePaul and Georgetown HURT the BE dramatically this.

If this were a "normal" year I think the Johnnies, Seton Hall and Providence would all be dancing.

As much as I would greatly like to see us in the BE I will believe it when I see it!
Old 03-19-2024, 05:29 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 810 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Actually, Dayton is the bid thief as an at-large. Duquesne earned its bid by winning the A-10 tourney.

The Big East pretty much got what it deserved, though one could argue St. John’s had a bid-worthy resume. The selection of Virginia is the most obvious head-scratcher. But it wouldn’t be an NCAA tournament without controversy. Our first-four year under Archie was that year’s most obvious head-scratcher — not so much because of playing in Dayton but because the Flyers were the last team on the dance card. The resume that year was better than what it got by way of the Selection Committee.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:32 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
The BE was hurt by the double round Robin this year in several ways. First, if the BE had 2 more teams (say UD and VCU), several of these bubble teams would have avoided playing DePaul and GTown 2X. Also, over 35% of the BE games this year were “blowouts”. Fox Sports can’t be happy about that. Adding UD and VCU content reduces the number of blowouts.

I think the BE has some real questions they need to answer about the current structure and scheduling. We’ll see.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-20-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 06:45 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,597 Times in 750 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
I think you will see the BE open up their OOC scheduling a bit, but what they really need is to add a team located in the Miami Valley that rhymes with Pliers.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Dillomernda (03-19-2024), Flyer 86 (03-20-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 07:04 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,182 Times in 579 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Fox sports not happy with only 3 BE teams dancing

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...9e2aec1a&ei=26
Old 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Actually, the team that wins it's conference tournament who would not have received an at-large bid is the bid stealer.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (03-19-2024), UACFlyer (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 07:10 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bill McPeek View Post

I find this a bizarre response. When did network ratings for a conference tournament become a criteria for a team to receive an NCAA bid?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-20-2024), springborofan (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 07:20 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 810 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Actually, the team that wins it's conference tournament who would not have received an at-large bid is the bid stealer.
Yep, I see most pundits calling conference upset winners the bid thieves, so I stand corrected.
Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 08:59 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of them could maybe call Dayton and ask for a game. This could keep Dayton out of the NCAA and put them in. Or it could backfire, and put Dayton in ahead of them, again. You never know until you try.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:06 PM
Brigadier General

Jack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to all

Top bad, win more games
Old 03-20-2024, 12:16 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute

If UD was in the BE, they’d have 4 teams in . . .
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
upperarlingtonflyer (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 10:30 AM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
BE in the NIT - went 0-3 last night. Just sayin.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to podcast411 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-20-2024), Glen Clark (03-20-2024)