Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-24-2016, 12:46 PM
Major

VirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to behold
Question SLU Blowout

Consider this....if Cook and Pierre have their average offensive production and FTs are better, that game would have been a no-brainer and a big margin. What happened? Don't tell me the defenders against them were that good...they are not!
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2016, 12:49 PM
1st Lieutenant

TCEagleAnnouncer will become famous soon enoughTCEagleAnnouncer will become famous soon enough
Not having KP throws off the whole spacing of the offense. You can do a whole lot more as a collective whole on defense when you only have two threats to worry about instead of three.

Sad to say but this team is not a Top 25 caliber team w/o KP.
Mad Props to TCEagleAnnouncer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-25-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 01:51 PM
Captain

Phi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by VirgM View Post
Consider this....if Cook and Pierre have their average offensive production and FTs are better, that game would have been a no-brainer and a big margin. What happened? Don't tell me the defenders against them were that good...they are not!
There's a really easy explanation to be honest with you. Not having Pollard decreases the whole teams free throws and increases the whole teams 3 point attempts. We are not a great offensive/3 point shooting team to begin with. Everything rolls down hill from there (including rotation, foul trouble, etc.).
Mad Props to Phi Psi Flyer '09 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 02:43 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
It is culminating in at least not having a knock-down shooter like Sibert was. Maybe Jordan was more than that too because I see guys looking around, looking for confidence in someone's eyes.
I see ball movement that is working to our disadvantage rather than our advantage. We pass up a shot to pass to Cooke who takes the contested shot.. over and over. Defenders are intercepting telegraphed passes out high because we're slow to come help the ball. We miss... <This is a good one, we miss an easy shot, then invariably get lazy and give it up on the other end. Leadership, boys.
Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-25-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VirgM View Post
If only life was contingent on ifs and buts but it ain't....
Old 02-24-2016, 03:32 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,629 Times in 765 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
If only life was contingent on ifs and buts but it ain't....
Did you just try to discredit his point based on his use of the word "if" by using an "if" yourself?
Old 02-24-2016, 03:58 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
Did you just try to discredit his point based on his use of the word "if" by using an "if" yourself?
Not sure if serious
Mad Props to TX Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CoffeeCan (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 04:04 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
Did you just tell him to "if" himself?
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CoffeeCan (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 04:38 PM
Colonel

SC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud of
Ifing Morons
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SC_Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-24-2016), Flyer 86 (02-25-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 05:03 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,162 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
The biggest void in not having Pollard in there is his ability to draw fouls. He sends other guys to the bench. Those guys are now on the court more often and racking up fouls on Steve, Sam, and others. Those guys now have to play less because of foul trouble. To put it in perspective, Pierre has played 37 more minutes than Steve this year and committed 49 fewer fouls. FORTY-NINE.

The other thing is KP not only draws fouls, but he gets to the foul line. Something Steve and Sam do not. I recognize KP is not a great foul shooter -- but he's a better foul shooter than Scoochie since A10 play.

Kendall is not a glass-cleaner so I think we've managed that okay. But we also miss his shot-blocking and defense. We've seen several run-outs in the last few games that Kendall would have trailed and almost certainly pinned on the glass.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cityengr (02-24-2016), Flyer 86 (02-25-2016), FLYER5 (02-24-2016), ruechalgrin (02-24-2016), Runnin' Rebel (02-25-2016), Sea Bass (02-24-2016), The Fly (02-24-2016), Tony T 71 (02-24-2016), Viperstick (02-24-2016), Whacker (02-25-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 05:05 PM
Major

VirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to behold
Well said, Chris
Mad Props to VirgM For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-25-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,753 Times in 795 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If what we witnessed last night was largely due to Pollard not being in the line-up he should be player of the year hands down.

Someone used the word dysfunctional last night and that was what I saw. Unless Pollard is Lebron, no way one guy on this team has that much impact.

Besides we've been without him for four games so the impact from his lack of presence should be going down. Plus we played a horrible team. So many of the TOs were unforced mental errors. Not seeing how Pollard changes that.

To me the team concept seems to be missing. I see a lot more dribbling and less overall movement in many sets. Too much one on one.

I have no information about anything but to me it appears like there is a chemistry issue among those able to play. I sure hope I am wrong and they get their swagger back starting Sat night.

Oh and Steve Wolf is beyond horrible.
Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-25-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 06:38 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer View Post
Oh and Steve Wolf is beyond horrible.
Let me hear an "Amen"!

AMEN!
Old 02-24-2016, 06:55 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Yorkshire Flyer is just really niceYorkshire Flyer is just really niceYorkshire Flyer is just really niceYorkshire Flyer is just really niceYorkshire Flyer is just really nice
Marysville Flyer seems spot on. I texted some friends after the game that it is more than just Pollard. One person does not make this much difference. There seems to be something else going on. I sure hope I'm wrong and things are straightened out by Saturday but that was HORRIBLE to watch.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:44 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Flyer View Post
Marysville Flyer seems spot on. I texted some friends after the game that it is more than just Pollard. One person does not make this much difference. There seems to be something else going on. I sure hope I'm wrong and things are straightened out by Saturday but that was HORRIBLE to watch.
Other than the end of game result, I enjoyed the Xavier game more than this one. At least that I game I could just shake my head and say to myself "we're just not ready yet" and relax and laugh a little. Last night my blood pressure was through the roof. It was a miserable experience watching that game.

I still say all problems stem from not passing/moving the ball like we have been accustomed to. Is it because of Pollard? Yes, partially, because when he's not in there, our team's ball movement depends on 4 guys rather than 5 and when Steve isn't the one in there, we have nobody strong to force his will offensively on the inside.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:53 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
So Pollard getting say 10 points, 5 rebounds and two blocks wouldn't have made a difference in our recent losses???
Mad Props to Tony T 71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 08:32 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Bet Bobby Wehrli wouldnt have dislocated his finger.

Cox cable sent an email notifying me that they wiped the recording of the game of my system. Something about the betterment of humanity...
Old 02-24-2016, 08:35 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tony T 71 View Post
So Pollard getting say 10 points, 5 rebounds and two blocks wouldn't have made a difference in our recent losses???
Absolutely! The magic of KP & DP, is that when one is out, most teams can defend one with one player or defensive approach. When both are in, it creates match up problems, and helps the perimeter guys.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:23 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Disagree with Chris about the main attribute Pollard brings to the team is drawing fouls. The fouls are a luxury but are a by-product of his ability to find the goal.
Playing without the fouls he draws isn't nearly the weight as playing without his willingness to work the low post when weighing his worth. Although the fouls are noteworthy whether those guys are on the bench or in the game, Pollard is most likely in their heads.
He's scoring [and drawing fouls] on their replacement when they're on the bench. When he gets the double-down thats when Pierre's game shines. We're a patsy without his toughness inside.
Pierre does not play that role well. We're a one-and-done without him imo. He and Kyle are the players that work that mental game that gets the other team a little tense, a little ****ed. And we need that. Without his presence the finesse factor goes up while the toughness factor goes down. Then we go home.
Archie was reminding Kuwik with the heel of his hand that the gaffe his player just made was in his realm of teaching. And to clean it up.

Last edited by FLYER5; 02-24-2016 at 09:31 PM..
Old 02-24-2016, 10:06 PM
Brigadier General

Didn't mean to diminish the worth of the fouls he draws, which are vital. Was just trying to point out the value he brings of driving the lane and taking bigs with him. In my view the fouls are critical but represent the carriage, where his ability to drive would be the horse before it. Apples and oranges......maybe..
Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-25-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 10:14 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
I mentioned in another thread that our top Assist guys last night were Wehrli and Pierre, with 2 apiece. Smith, Cooke, Crosby, and the Davis boys combined for a TOTAL of 2 assists in 131 minutes. That's a sign of a team that's not playing like a True Team. And until that changes, we're going to see more dog vomit like we saw last night.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-25-2016), FLYER5 (02-25-2016), Marysville Flyer (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 11:02 PM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
Is there an individual statistic that lists something like number of fouls drawn per game or per minute played or something? Might be an interesting stat to compare players. Like an foul magnet in opposition.

Interesting thought.

Figgie?
Old 02-25-2016, 06:50 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,088 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
I waited till now to post about the recent SLU game because I have been away recuperating .....

You know how we discuss the 'eye test' being applied to tournament selection?

Well after this STL game I had to have both 'cornea's' replaced!

Old 02-25-2016, 08:35 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,172 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tirebiter View Post
Is there an individual statistic that lists something like number of fouls drawn per game or per minute played or something? Might be an interesting stat to compare players. Like an foul magnet in opposition.

Interesting thought.

Figgie?
Unfortunately, non-FT fouls don't list the person fouled in the play-by-play, so nothing I can work with.
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 09:06 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
"dog vomit" - now there's a description I can do without!!! That will be rattling around in my head all day. "The University of Dayton Dog Vomits." That's cruel.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:37 AM
Brigadier General

One vital component Kendall brings to the team when he's healthy is energy. That's something we seem to lack of late. It and purpose. They're running the offense but they're not working as hard to get open as they were. And when there's a player break to an opening we don't hit him with the pass. it's a reflection of the drop-off in assists and increase in turnovers.

Last edited by FLYER5; 02-25-2016 at 10:43 AM..
Old 02-25-2016, 05:01 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
T-Bone 84: I told you "dog vomit" would rattle around my brain all day. When I got home, my neighbor was walking his dog in front of my house. While watching the dog, all I could think of was, "please don't vomit on my grass." !!!!