User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-19-2017, 12:08 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Are we seeing the return of stars with great stats?

Throughout Archie's reign here, nobody's stats stood out from all the others. Any nationally televised game, the announcers might have gone into the game focused on our leading scorer(CJ, Sibert, Cooke) or great PG with great name(Scoochie) but in the end it could be anybody who stood out for that game, Benson, Pollard, Pierre, Kyle occasionally, Oliver, Vee or even Mikesell.

But while those guys had nice overall stats, they weren't overwhelming from the next. That's probably one reason the True Team mantra was born.

When Don Donoher was coach, there was a star or two and you could count on who would lead in scoring, rebounding etc... almost like clockwork. With Anthony Grant, so far in 3 games, it's looking like we're getting back to that. Baby D is averaging 20 points a game so far while Cunningham is putting up nice points and great rebounding numbers(yes his foul trouble cost him in 2nd game). Seems the rest are a supporting cast though I expect Kostas will join the other two soon enough.

I really can't think this is going to change much this season and probably will be what we look like going forward under AG. Both True Team and Star led teams work. So I'm not saying one is better than the other. But so far this looks more like a Donoher team than it does a Miller team.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (11-19-2017)
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2017, 12:21 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Throughout Archie's reign here, nobody's stats stood out from all the others. Any nationally televised game, the announcers might have gone into the game focused on our leading scorer(CJ, Sibert, Cooke) or great PG with great name(Scoochie) but in the end it could be anybody who stood out for that game, Benson, Pollard, Pierre, Kyle occasionally, Oliver, Vee or even Mikesell.

But while those guys had nice overall stats, they weren't overwhelming from the next. That's probably one reason the True Team mantra was born.

When Don Donoher was coach, there was a star or two and you could count on who would lead in scoring, rebounding etc... almost like clockwork. With Anthony Grant, so far in 3 games, it's looking like we're getting back to that. Baby D is averaging 20 points a game so far while Cunningham is putting up nice points and great rebounding numbers(yes his foul trouble cost him in 2nd game). Seems the rest are a supporting cast though I expect Kostas will join the other two soon enough.

I really can't think this is going to change much this season and probably will be what we look like going forward under AG. Both True Team and Star led teams work. So I'm not saying one is better than the other. But so far this looks more like a Donoher team than it does a Miller team.
I think the balance of the teams depend upon the balance of talent. Archie’s teams played true team easier due to the balance of skill. They had a standout or two, but not big disparate differences.

This team drops off after DD, JC and XW. XW has been in a shooting slump so far. It mostly drops off due to freshman inexperience. JC and TL have not shown to be big offensive threats so far. If I was coaching defense against this team, I would drop off of TL every time.

Archie’s team did seem to move the ball in and out better than what we have seen this early in the season. The hall does not rotate back from low to high. Trying to implement a new system might account for some of this.

I expect this team to look different offensively and defensively when A10 play starts. There is lots of room for improvement.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 12:27 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
The same thought went through my mind but then I dismissed it. I don't think so. I think we've just got 1 guy who's been able to score so far early in the season and a bunch of freshmen (and XW) less likely to shoot the ball (or make a shot).

I personally doubt DD averages over 15 for the year.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 12:43 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
The same thought went through my mind but then I dismissed it. I don't think so. I think we've just got 1 guy who's been able to score so far early in the season and a bunch of freshmen (and XW) less likely to shoot the ball (or make a shot).

I personally doubt DD averages over 15 for the year.
Well, I also noticed, yes by necessity, but our Freshman are being asked to produce and responding a lot more than they had under Miller's reign. Donoher wasn't shy about letting Freshman get their minutes either. Two years ago we needed to depend on 5 Freshman also, and most here were disenchanted with them. I've really been impressed this season with the play of J Davis, Kostas and Crutcher so early in the season. With Donoher and freshman, you knew that if they were getting lots of minutes, they were going to be depended on to lead the team in the future. With Miller, it was hard to tell who was going to be the great ones out of their class. I don't think anybody pegged XW to be the one to be the full time starter the soonest 2 years ago.

So I really am seeing more shades of Donoher than Miller with this team. And while Miller was known for being more fiery than both Donoher and Grant, I really believe that Grant and Donoher are more disciplinarians than miller, just in a more subtle way. Miller put no pressure on his freshman while Donoher and Grant seem to treat them the same as seniors.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 02:24 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post

Not sure this years team is an indication of that type of transition, the personnel is dictating the scoring distribution. However, I agree that you could go through most conferences and find examples of this approach. For every Velvet, you need to have players such as the Ed Young, Sedric Tony, and Damon Goodwin.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:35 PM
General

Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Not sure this years team is an indication of that type of transition, the personnel is dictating the scoring distribution. However, I agree that you could go through most conferences and find examples of this approach. For every Velvet, you need to have players such as the Ed Young, Sedric Tony, and Damon Goodwin.
Exactly. For every Donald Smith you need a Sylvester, Johnny Davis, Allan Elijah. For every Donny May, you need a Sadlier, Obrovac, Hooper and Gotschall.

For every Negele Knight you need a Corbitt, Springer, Uhl, Robertson, Robinson, Grevey.

So now we get into the Miller years(and some of OP's best years were the same) and it doesn't quite apply. For every Sibert... no, Pierre... no, Oliver... no, Scooch...no Cooke... no. None of these guys were the star with a supporting cast.

Last edited by Smitty10; 11-19-2017 at 02:40 PM..
Old 11-19-2017, 02:38 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Better to have balance. Easier to stop a few great players.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 02:42 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
With the star concept, when one goes down with a severe injury, there goes your season. Especially if it happens in January.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:49 PM
General

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
With the star concept, when one goes down with a severe injury, there goes your season. Especially if it happens in January.
Oh, I agree. I think I prefer the True Team more due to this. And in today's game with the speed and strength, injuries are much more common. But it's nice to have that go to guy with a secondary go to guy also. Maybe a hybrid of both is what it's going to take to raise this program to another level. Also helps if you do depend on your Freshman and give them more responsibility. While your season takes a hit, might not be as hard with an injury and you get the expedited development.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:19 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
There are important diffences between the offensive schemes that AM and AG run. AM’s offense was predicated on ball movement, and whoever was open took the shot. AG’s offense is more NBA-like and relies more on pick-n-roll, which is more skill-based. I would not be surprised if the trends observed so far persisted, but I do expect Kostas and XW to have bigger rolls in the offense.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-19-2017), UDGutter2 (11-19-2017)