Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 09:00 AM
Major

flybye is infamous around these parts
Tougness and coaching

Still a good opportunity in front of us. I watched Richmond and Fordham last nite and we can win both thoses games. Come Home and beat VCU and we are feeling good. Yesterday was a letdown for two reasons. I hate seeing my team toyed with in the tougness part of the game at home. SLU did the same thing to us last year. We didnt put our chin out but instead shied away on those layups. KW on the feedback show said the same thing. Second, I really like Archie and I am waiting for HIM to break thru. UMASS was down 13 at home to Bonnie and couldnt score...They went 1-3-1 trap the rest of thr game and won by 5. My isssue is we dont even have an alternative plan when we get bogged down on Offense or defense. Not only this year but His first two years. I know he is still learning as a coach and I like the recuriting but he has to be more innovative and flexible thats what great coaches do. When you see VCU there are no NBA players and when you get them in a half court defense they are beatable. Smart knows that and ignites the offense with his defense. Xavier the other nite against Marquette played man to man/zone and 1-3-1 trap at times to change things up. I think this team is very talented I was in Maui and they stood toe to toe with the big boys. Now the tape is out and you have to adjust. Lets get the next 5 all winnable!!!
Mad Props to flybye For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-12-2014)
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
Gotta' throw some zone in there, why?

1. opponents have to prepare for it in practice
2. gives our O a chance to work against zone in practice
3. opponent calls TO late in game, prepares to return to the floor to face UD who ALWAYS plays man to man - and lo and behold UD is in a ZONE. They have to adjust from what they just talked about during the TO.
4. use our athletic ability and force issue with zone trap and fall back into zone
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Piqua Flyer '66 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-12-2014), runnerup (01-12-2014), springborofan (01-12-2014), UD Sam (01-13-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 02:33 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
3. opponent calls TO late in game, prepares to return to the floor to face UD who ALWAYS plays man to man - and lo and behold UD is in a ZONE. They have to adjust from what they just talked about during the TO.
4. use our athletic ability and force issue with zone trap and fall back into zone
Piqua Flyer is correct. Archie needed to do something to change the chemistry of that game. I believe we needed to press and trap to try to increase the tempo of that game and beat the defense down the court. Archie seems content in letting the game take its course, and demonstrates little flexibility in changing up the game to change the course of the game.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Are we allowed to press? Who knew?

Zone, zone, zone....?????? I know I've heard the word before? Is it some kind of defense?
Old 01-12-2014, 03:39 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Archie Miller's TV Show

After watching yesterday's game in person and then Archie's morning TV show I could not believe he said "I like who we are." Jim O'Brien could not have said it better. UD fails miserably on Blackburn court and the coach likes what he saw. If he means that he needs to be replaced soon. If he didn't mean it it should have been left unsaid. Where is Tom Blackburn when you need him? UD should have been on the practice court at 7 AM this morning practicing layups and foul shots. This coaching staff and team better wake up soon.
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Shades of BG in the first half yesterday. Saw so many opportunities for a TO and Archie never took one until the final minute. With this team and against this important of an opponent I think you burn every TO you have to make sure you get off to a good start. You could see UD's fragile confidence evaporate by the 12 min mark.

With Gavs out and later Kavs and Scott in foul trouble they were limited in the post, but I think they still might be fronting Evans and giving up layups this afternoon.

Maybe as a fan base we are still scorched from listening to BG deliver his "we have to execute better" mantra in the post-game presser, but so be it. Adjustments are an invaluable part of the game and nothing helps instill confidence in a team like coming out of a timeout knowing you are going to get a great shot.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:05 PM
General

Thanked 1,266 Times in 784 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
You confound me with rational thought and strategy. we shouldn't simply stick with same plan and networking strategies? What.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
When you don't make shots everything looks bad. The Flyers got the ball close to the rim and could not finish, it looked bad. if DMO just goes 4-12 the Flyers likely win the game. They lost because the best player on the floor and returning conference POY played like one. The Flyers still lack that kind of player and seniors who can step up their game consistently when the game was on the line. For the most part it was an Evans/Oliver matchup at both ends of the floor and it did not go in favor of the Flyers. Barnett who has shot horribly all year went 2-2 from three (he was 0-6 against URI). It is on little things the game turns. What if the official does not wave off Scochies three and instead counts it?

The Flyers battled a veteran and physical team and came up a few plays short. You learn from it and move forward. This is not an overly talented team.

If there was one positive Price looked as healthy as he has all season.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Just off the Jet

JRSMDO is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
After watching yesterday's game in person and then Archie's morning TV show I could not believe he said "I like who we are." Jim O'Brien could not have said it better. UD fails miserably on Blackburn court and the coach likes what he saw. If he means that he needs to be replaced soon. If he didn't mean it it should have been left unsaid. Where is Tom Blackburn when you need him? UD should have been on the practice court at 7 AM this morning practicing layups and foul shots. This coaching staff and team better wake up soon.
http://phxfan.com/2011/04/ua-assista...red-by-dayton/

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ll-salary-175m

You get what you pay for.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:24 PM

Thanked 6,616 Times in 3,023 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
I'm wondering how our fans and posters would feel if we had six junior college transfers on our team. That's how many Wichita State had last year. I think the number is similar this year, but not sure. I'm not saying it is a good thing or a bad thing. I just wonder how people would feel about it.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Just off the Jet

JRSMDO is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I'm wondering how our fans and posters would feel if we had six junior college transfers on our team. That's how many Wichita State had last year. I think the number is similar this year, but not sure. I'm not saying it is a good thing or a bad thing. I just wonder how people would feel about it.
Wow! No comment.

Just check out a few more of our peer institutions....

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/art...tball-coaches/
Old 01-12-2014, 08:09 PM
Captain

oRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant futureoRed has a brilliant future
Not sure what your point is? Wichita St sits right in the middle of some of the best juco bball programs in USA so it should come as no surprise they can recruit jucos with ease...the kids are used to the area and WSU has a good program and they can get enrolled.

Backing up many years, Ron Harper wanted to go to UD but UD admin would not take a chance on him...Miami did...the rest is history. I know Harp and he's a great guy with a very slight speech impediment but an extremely bright guy not to mention a great basketball player and would've been a great ambassador for UD and the City of Dayton.

UD is in the education business, basketball is part of who UD is...why wouldn't JUcos be welcome? I don't ever see UD in the market for half a team of JUcOs but a kid being labeled juco at age 19 or 20 should not be a reason for them not to be a Flyer. Have you been to public school lately? There are plenty of kids not ready for college. They can't go away for 1 or 2 years and begin rehabilitate their lives?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to oRed For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (01-13-2014), Flyer 86 (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 08:29 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Some of those JUCO's are better than the kids who play from year one and cannot read at a ninth grade level or at all (see U. of NC).We are not talking Marcus Henderson or the kid from Dayton that plays for Memphis. If the kid has proved himself academically and ethically, then bring him/them on.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 08:49 PM
2nd Lieutenant

El Shaqtus will become famous soon enoughEl Shaqtus will become famous soon enough
If they're good players and good students, they're worth a shot.

The school 90 miles west of St. Louis has a thing for transfers.
Mad Props to El Shaqtus For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-13-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 09:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by El Shaqtus View Post
If they're good players and good students, they're worth a shot.

The school 90 miles west of St. Louis has a thing for transfers.
Often good players but not good students....

In my community a few years back a local boy was an outstanding athlete and the teams both football and basketball were built around him to make him the start athlete he was so colleges would recruit him. Problem was he was dumber than a box of rocks.

Good looking lad that everyone went out of there way to help him...to the point of doing his homework and taking his tests. No one would touch him except a cc. Too bad really, he was a talent and then some. Misguided people thought colleges would over look all tht.

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 01-12-2014 at 09:43 PM..
Old 01-12-2014, 11:50 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

mikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud of
To the title of this thread... toughness and coaching... do we want a coach who teaches toughness by making his players hit a defensive opponent in the face with the ball? Is that what we want DO to take with him from UD?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:09 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mikeymo85 View Post
To the title of this thread... toughness and coaching... do we want a coach who teaches toughness by making his players hit a defensive opponent in the face with the ball? Is that what we want DO to take with him from UD?
No but we want him to not allow someone to come into his house and repeatedly kick him in the b@lls while he runs and hides
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (01-13-2014), jack72 (01-13-2014), rollo (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Major

flybye is infamous around these parts
Bullied

Toughness is not getting out fought at home. It has happened twice this season. USC a bad team pushed us around and SLU dominated us on Sat. just like they did at there place last year. Our Four bigs need to step up and start being getting in the mix on a consistent basis. Vee and DMO even when the game is not going well need to watch there body language. Watch the Film both walking around with there heads down. Very talented team... need to toughen up.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flybye For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-13-2014), jack72 (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 01:49 PM
1st Lieutenant

AQUDXU will become famous soon enoughAQUDXU will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mikeymo85 View Post
No, but there's nothing wrong with taking your lay-up through a guy's chin that gets in the way when he's aggressively defending the tin.
Mad Props to AQUDXU For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by flybye View Post
Toughness is not getting out fought at home. It has happened twice this season. USC a bad team pushed us around and SLU dominated us on Sat. just like they did at there place last year. Our Four bigs need to step up and start being getting in the mix on a consistent basis. Vee and DMO even when the game is not going well need to watch there body language. Watch the Film both walking around with there heads down. Very talented team... need to toughen up.
Unfortunately with St Louis, two of our "bigs" were on the bench.
Gavs and Kavs could have (would have?) made a difference in that game.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:18 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
St Louis is a physically and mentally tough team and this was also a big game for them. You can tell a team how tough they need to play to win a game like that but it might not fully register. I thought we played physically tough for the most part but not quite tough enough mentally which includes going to the hoop strong to draw fouls.

As others have said "hopefully the team learned from this and moves forward"
Old 01-13-2014, 03:55 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
The statements below are a reporter's assessment. He must be talking about Dayton and Archie, right?
"The issues all start with defense. The guards can’t keep drivers in front of them on the perimeter. That amplifies the fact they don’t have a traditional post defender to protect the area around the rim. Defending ball screens, too, is an issue, and, with the charge call basically nonexistent thanks to the new rules, opponents are driving at will (particularly on the baseline) and finishing with some momentum-changing dunks.

Beyond that, the undersized team isn't psychologically tough and they wilted on the road in tight games. Postgame talk by the players focused on a lack of toughness and maturity and the need to grow up. Not good, no matter how you slice it."

It was written in this morning's Raleigh paper about Duke. Maybe they need a better coach (lol).
Old 01-13-2014, 03:59 PM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
The statements below are a reporter's assessment. He must be talking about Dayton and Archie, right?
"The issues all start with defense. The guards can’t keep drivers in front of them on the perimeter. That amplifies the fact they don’t have a traditional post defender to protect the area around the rim. Defending ball screens, too, is an issue, and, with the charge call basically nonexistent thanks to the new rules, opponents are driving at will (particularly on the baseline) and finishing with some momentum-changing dunks.

Beyond that, the undersized team isn't psychologically tough and they wilted on the road in tight games. Postgame talk by the players focused on a lack of toughness and maturity and the need to grow up. Not good, no matter how you slice it."

It was written in this morning's Raleigh paper about Duke. Maybe they need a better coach (lol).
If Duke would play us - and this is the season to play them - we could find out which team the sportswriter is talking about...but since they won't, we'll never know.