UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: A Golden DNutz stays gold despite the opponent's efforts....vote away!
Pollard 18/8/2 assists 82 84.54%
Pierre 12/8/3 assists 3 3.09%
Cooke 10 pts in 2nd half 0 0%
St. Louis Coach Jim Crews...who gets a Golden Rollo regardless of the voting! 12 12.37%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2016, 09:23 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,914 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Golden DNutz - St. Louis is HORRIBLE

I'm speechless...seriously...can Wright State please replace St. Louis in the A10! That was the worst coached team I've seen since...since...since I became King! Jim O'Brien, fear not! You aren't the worst coach to ever lead a team into UD Arena.

With that said, let's vote on the Golden DNutz Playah of the Game.

And hope we never have to suffer thru another game like that ever again.
Gazoo (01-28-2016), IAFlyer (01-29-2016), Radar (01-28-2016), ruechalgrin (01-27-2016)
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2016, 09:28 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,592 Times in 3,714 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Who is this guy wearing #25 who finally showed up tonight?

I am guessing the King of Rollowood is so excited by #25's performance, that he won't even need to use a blue pill for his performance.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:32 PM

Thanked 10,172 Times in 5,900 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
You shouldn't have put the Crews vote in there. It may have been a threat to Pierre's shutout.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:33 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
I thought you liked Pollard, yet you stuck Crews in there to keep him from getting a shutout?

Also, seems to me that Big Steve should've been the only name other than KP's on the list(and still he should get zero votes).
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:35 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
You shouldn't have put the Crews vote in there. It may have been a threat to Pierre's shutout.
Didn't you mean Pollard? Have to laugh because I originally put Pierre's name in my post.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:38 PM

Thanked 10,172 Times in 5,900 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Didn't you mean Pollard? Have to laugh because I originally put Pierre's name in my post.
Yes, but I meant Pierre's shutout last week.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:40 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I had to include Crews to fend off the jock sniffers who no doubt would have demanded his inclusion hoping - and failing - to offend their King and Lord...
Old 01-27-2016, 10:06 PM
Major

66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of
KP, without a doubt. With Cooke shut down the whole first half, he had to step it up. They can't shut out CC, hamper DP AND stop KP all at once. That's what I love about this team--they cover for each other when necessary.
Towards the end of the game. the Cassano's Sub of the Game went to Steve--I agree!
I was a bit nervous in the first half, but had confidence Archie would have them make necessary adjustments.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:44 PM
Captain

Angry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud of
I voted Crews. I remember him running up the score a couple of times at Evansville, especially one game with Scott Haffner who went for 60 something. Of course we remember the Chris Mack incident. Man , that was a bad SLU team. Hard to believe their program has fell apart so quickly.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:48 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Pollard was very good, and could be an important game to get him going. But I came on here to vote Big Steve. Shocked to not see him as a choice. Thought it would be a close vote. Steve absolutely shut down the lane. Blocked 6 shots but totally affected a dozen more (including those not taken).
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-28-2016), jack72 (01-28-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 10:52 PM
General

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Pollard was very good, and could be an important game to get him going. But I came on here to vote Big Steve. Shocked to not see him as a choice. Thought it would be a close vote. Steve absolutely shut down the lane. Blocked 6 shots but totally affected a dozen more (including those not taken).
I wouldn't expect it to be close, but I agree as mentioned in my earlier thread that he should've been the only other name on the list with KP. His 6 blocks tied a team record held only by George Morrison, Chris Wright, Erv Giddings and Sean Finn. His is the only one accomplished in his first season.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:59 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,365 Times in 1,103 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Angry John View Post
I voted Crews. I remember him running up the score a couple of times at Evansville, especially one game with Scott Haffner who went for 60 something. Of course we remember the Chris Mack incident. Man , that was a bad SLU team. Hard to believe their program has fell apart so quickly.
65 points by Haffner I believe (from what I remember reading in the DDN); I didn't have the final total that day because I was listening to the game and I clearly remember Bucky saying something like "Haffner just passed 60" when I threw my transistor radio shattering it into pieces. Of course my wife thought I was acting like a big baby (back then); over the years she's understood the life of a Flyer fan and is the bigger person and just walks away from me - of course there's always the fear my kids will record my behavior and upload it to youtube before any bad game is over nowadays. And I'd never consider throwing my radio now, as my radio is the "Tune-in" app on my $700 iPhone...
Old 01-28-2016, 12:20 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,396 Times in 713 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
I meanmeant to vote for Pollard; but I think accidentally hit the button next to Pierre. On loan from Dyshawn, my Royal vote goes to Pollard; but several of Pollard's points came via assist from Dyshawn....just saying.
Mad Props to Beatty Town Coach For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 06:57 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,088 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
KP you da MAN!

Taken it to the hole!
Old 01-28-2016, 08:11 AM

Big Steve was intimidating, but to earn the Golden DNutz you must also be effective. He was the 5th option on offense and quite honestly looked lost on offense most of the game.

However, being a benevolent King, I will take blocked shots and intimidation into consideration for future Golden DNutz awards...but must warn that in order to be fair, that also means the lack of intimidation and blocked shots now become factors for the dreaded Golden Rollos!

Such is life in the Royal kingdom
Old 01-28-2016, 08:33 AM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
As good as Pollard was, we've seen that performance from Pollard before. What Big Steve did was historic. I think he played 16 minutes, committing zero fouls. He got called for one. But by staying out of foul trouble, he could have played closer to 30 minutes if needed. Now think for a second what his stat line would have been then. He very well could have produced a triple double. Do you know how many triple doubles there have been in the history of Dayton basketball? I believe the answer is zero. Think about that. If SLU wasn't so inept, Big Steve may have stuffed the stat sheet like no player in the history of the program. So for him to not even be an answer choice is just crazy. He is absolutely deserving.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-29-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 08:39 AM

We won by 36, not 4, so the 6 blocks is great, but not a game changer.

Additionally, rollo doesn't play 'what if' when determining the Golden DNutz Awards. He plays 'what happened'. And what happened was we beat the sh*t out of a horrible team and the reason we did solely rested on the shoulders of the play on both ends of the court and in both halves of the game by Pollard and Pierre...and somewhat Crews!
Beatty Town Coach (01-28-2016), Flyer 86 (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 09:35 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,618 Times in 2,467 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Triple Double

As good as Pollard was, we've seen that performance from Pollard before. What Big Steve did was historic. I think he played 16 minutes, committing zero fouls. He got called for one. But by staying out of foul trouble, he could have played closer to 30 minutes if needed. Now think for a second what his stat line would have been then. He very well could have produced a triple double. Do you know how many triple doubles there have been in the history of Dayton basketball? I believe the answer is zero. Think about that. If SLU wasn't so inept, Big Steve may have stuffed the stat sheet like no player in the history of the program. So for him to not even be an answer choice is just crazy. He is absolutely deserving.
There has been at least one. Ryan Perryman in his senior year at Duquense. I was there and it was shown over and over on ESPN.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:49 AM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Angry John View Post
...Scott Haffner...
"Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time."
Old 01-28-2016, 09:52 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
There has been at least one. Ryan Perryman in his senior year at Duquense. I was there and it was shown over and over on ESPN.
Are you sure? Perryman could give you 20 and 20 but assists, steals or blocks? I asked this question years ago, and Chris R pointed out a game where Jeff Brookins of all people came close. Total statistical anomaly for him.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:22 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
We won by 36, not 4, so the 6 blocks is great, but not a game changer.
By that logic, Pollard's 18 points would also not be a game changer. But I would argue the reason Dayton won so handily was twofold. First, SLU is not good. Second, I think they were rattled and intimidated, and largely gave up. I think Steve's 6 blocks were a huge reason why that happened. To me, they were a game changer.

Additionally, rollo doesn't play 'what if' when determining the Golden DNutz Awards. He plays 'what happened'.
So you don't want to consider points per minute production. But take a harder look at what Steve did in those 16 minutes. 7 pts, 6 blocks, and 7 rbs. I know you don't want to play "what if" but understand the shots Steve blocks are attempts in the paint. Those are converted at a higher percentage than perimeter attempts. So 3 or 4 of those are probably going in. Add the 6-8 points subtracted to Steve's tally, and his game looks even better.

And what happened was we beat the sh*t out of a horrible team and the reason we did solely rested on the shoulders of the play on both ends of the court and in both halves of the game by Pollard and Pierre...and somewhat Crews!
To say the reason for the beatdown rested solely on play of Pollard and Pierre (ignoring Crews) is not accurate. The stats back up the fact that Big Steve played well on both ends of the court, and his impact on the game should not be dismissed.

In another post, you suggested that Big Steve looked lost on offense. I didn't see it that way at all. To me, he looked calm, cool and confident. He was fantastic.

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 01-28-2016 at 10:25 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-29-2016), jack72 (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 10:51 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,618 Times in 2,467 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Red face

Are you sure? Perryman could give you 20 and 20 but assists, steals or blocks? I asked this question years ago, and Chris R pointed out a game where Jeff Brookins of all people came close. Total statistical anomaly for him.
I was sure, but I couldn't find it in the archives section of either Dayton or Duquesne because they don't go back that far. I found an article in the archives of the DDN (no box score) on that game and it says he had 26 points and 20 rebounds, no mention of a triple double . I suppose the number of points and rebounds got it on ESPN, but for nearly twenty years I "remembered" seeing the words "Triple Double" on the ESPN graphic. So now I am sure I was wrong and my bubble is burst.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Perryman had 26 and 20 in the game that Lifelong Flyer Fan mentions, which was Feb. 25, 1998 at Duquesne. But our assists leader had 6 for that game, and Perryman only had 3 blocks on the season, so he couldn't have had a triple-double.

Must be remembering the 20/20 game.

http://www.basketballpassport.com/ga...8-02-25-ud-duq
Old 01-28-2016, 06:29 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Never has been a triple double by a UD player, at least not as long as they've kept those type stats.

Brookins I believe did come close once, and if not mistaken BRob fell just short once.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:06 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
I remembered Chris Johnson having a 20/20 game against Duquesne, so I looked it up to see if he was anywhere close to double digits in another category. He put up 26 points and 20 rebounds on Jan 9, 2010, but had zero blocks, zero assists, and zero steals.

http://bbstate.com/games/2010-01-09/DUQ-UD/9

I mean, 26 and 20 is a monster game, but zeros in the other statistical categories is kind of weird.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-29-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 07:08 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
As an aside, Gary Trent of OU had something like 26 points, 16 rebounds, and 8 turnovers one game. His teammates kidded him that if he had just turned it over two more times he could have had a triple double. Also, Haffner: 23/29 FG, 8/8 FT, 11/13 from three-point land. Not bad. Evansville 109, UD 83. Feb 18, 1989.

Last edited by longtimefan; 01-28-2016 at 07:44 PM..
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-29-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 11:10 AM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
The lack of a UD triple double, versus the number of triple doubles by Kyle Collinsworth at BYU, is an interesting tidbit.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:14 AM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
that was THE SINGLE WORST Slu team i've seen in watching the last 15 years.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:55 PM

The Big Steve Fan Club has spoken via posts and PMs, and thereforeth, thy Master shalt from this day-eth forward include Master Steve McElvene in all future Golden DNutz Award poll-eths!

So it be written.

So let it be done!

...eth.