User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Bring on the Fins!

Saturday's game, #12 on the season by the way, is as they say, "for all the marbles". Our Flyers will head to Jacksonville, FL to play the Dolphins for the outright PFL title and a berth in the Gridiron Classic against Albany in New York.

In a "normal" year, Dayton would almost certainly be favored to repeat as PFL Champion and advance to the Gridiron Classic. With two bad losses on the record however, (both Duquesne and Morehead State sport losing records ), the Dolphins are actually being viewed as favorites in many quarters.

JU is on a roll, and seemingly getting better each week. The Flyers on the other hand have been struggling, barely defeating Butler, a team that JU destroyed, and then losing to Morehead State. There is really no question which team has the big mo going into the championship game.

The Flyers have also been bit hard by the injury bug. It was very telling to see the number of players on crutches at the Morehead State game. Now I know how USD must have felt when three players broke their legs at Jacksonville. According to the radio show on Monday, Zulli award winner Rob Florian will be back at QB. It seems as though he finished the USD game with a broken thumb. After the game, he said his thumb became stiff as a board. After a couple of weeks rest, he said he is ready to play again. No doubt that Rob was on a roll before the injury. The outcome of this game just might be determined by how quickly Rob gets back in the flow....

I expect a very hard hitting game, much like JU played against San Diego. Trust me when I say, JU will be extremely fired up, playing for their first ever PFL title on their home field.

I would certainly expect the Flyer defense to have another respectable game. The key to a Flyer victory will rest squarely on the offense. We have to move the ball, control the time of possession, score points especially in the red zone, AND NOT SNAP THE BALL OVER THE QB's head! Mistakes, penalities and turnovers will doom the Flyers to a loss if they are not held to a minimum. Procedure penalities on the offense have been far too frequent this season, even taking into account the changes in QB's.... I might even go so far as to say that the offensive line just might be the biggest key to this game. Eliminate the penalities, snap the ball well, BLOCK, and the Flyers win the game. Do any of those things poorly on Saturday and we will be looking forward to next season.

Weather may also be a big factor in this game. There could be rain.... As we saw on Saturday, our spread offense is not suited to foul weather. Unfortunately for us, JU has an excellent running game, in addition to a very good passing game. If it comes down to a running battle, it may not be good for our Flyers.

The QB situation at JU will be interesting. The freshman star, who has really been the spark JU needed, injured his shoulder last week.... The QB we played against last season came in and had a great game. I do not who will start, but if the freshman is not 100%, that could give us a huge edge!

I have not made my prediction for this game yet.... I would be very interested in hearing your predictions, however, and your reason(s) for your predictions.

Last edited by DetroitFlyer; 11-19-2008 at 08:58 AM..
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Lieutenant General

DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Kerwin Bell interview on the PFL Championship game

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/sports...4134&catid=208
Old 11-19-2008, 10:59 AM
1st Lieutenant

FLORIDAFLYER
Go with my heart UD wins

Go with my head, Fish win. Question our offense even with Rob. will we score enough to beat the high scoring dolphins. I just feel it's the Dolphins time. Hope I'm wrong and we pull it out with a stout defense but right now it's JU 28 UD 14
Old 11-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
We must win

I have every confidence that we will beat JU. Rob will be back and I don't think this team will let it's seniors down again. I know that Millio will try to make up for the pass he dropped last week and I think we will be a force to be reckoned with. Let's hope I am right.

Question: Has anyone here ever attended the football banquet? I need to know if it's dressy and what type of food they usually have. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Lieutenant General

Albany fans are pulling for....

our Flyers. They would very much like to see a rematch of last year's Gridiron Classic. Why? They are convinced that they can beat the Flyers this year. I agree with them on at least one of those two points! (Yes, the one where we defeat JU)!
Old 11-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Can't wait to see dem Football Flyer's

Our long trek to Florida to meet up with other family members from Ohio who have twice the distance is not to see the Flyers lose. We're going to see the PFL Champs from UD!

If they forget about the things they cannot control - the weather, field conditions, refs, etc. - and focus on their assignments that they can control, this offense, defense & special teams can win as they proved in most games.

It has been an exciting season and that's why we can't wait to see them play!
Old 11-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Lieutenant General

More from Kerwin Bell

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...57527675.shtml

As I mentioned, they are fired up in Florida! PFL Championship game on Saturday and not a peep from the DDN yet.... They are focused on the all important Delaware State at Dayton basketball game tonight.... YAWN!!

This is a really big deal for JU. The divisional championship back in 2001 was a mere formality for the Flyers to claim the "PFL Championship". This year, the Fins truly believe that they can win this game.

The latest forecast I have seen is calling for sun and low 60's. I sure hope so, good weather will help us a great deal!

I sure wish I could attend in person. I will be at my son's cross country banquet on Saturday, but rest assured, I will be following the game very closely!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Lieutenant General

Game Notes:

Dayton:

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/auto_pd...weekly-release

Jacksonville:

http://www.judolphins.com/football/0...tes/dayton.pdf
Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Lieutenant General

Internet Video Streaming

https://asun.neulion.com/asc/console.jsp

I think that the game might be video streamed over the Internet on Saturday. Unlike Dayton, it is not free. I have never streamed anything from JU, so this is new to me. I think the link above is where you go to purchase the game. If I remember correctly, the Drake at JU game was posted kind of late, so check back between now and Saturday to see when you can actually sign-up and purchase the game.

The game notes say kickoff is 1:00PM but the correct time is actually HIGH NOON!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:57 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I think the run defense has been extremely good this year, giving up an average of 1.8 yards per carry. Obviously, UD has to make JU one dimensional, if we can shut down their good running backs our offense should be good enough to win.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Just off the Jet

flyer44DE
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
I have every confidence that we will beat JU. Rob will be back and I don't think this team will let it's seniors down again. I know that Millio will try to make up for the pass he dropped last week and I think we will be a force to be reckoned with. Let's hope I am right.

Question: Has anyone here ever attended the football banquet? I need to know if it's dressy and what type of food they usually have. Thanks!
Hey Smitch425,

The Banquet is a business casual setting. All the players and coaches will wear a sport coat and tie. The food is typical KU catering. Chicken and Steak.

See you at Milano's on Monday :-)
Old 11-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the great info, but...

Originally Posted by flyer44DE View Post
Hey Smitch425,

The Banquet is a business casual setting. All the players and coaches will wear a sport coat and tie. The food is typical KU catering. Chicken and Steak.

See you at Milano's on Monday :-)
I'll be at BDubs on monday.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Lieutenant General

Streaming!!

Well, I paid my $9.99 to stream the game today.... I hope it works. Currently listening to Larry and Mike. Flo will start at QB. McDonald out again.... JU's super freshman QB will also start.

Should be a battle in Florida this afternoon. Sure wish I was there, but I have to settle for the JU stream and I'm sure the homer announcers.... Ugh! I have tried to watch video from another team while listening to Larry and Mike, but there is too much of a radio delay, it gets kind of annoying after a while. I'll try again today, but I'm not optimistic.

GO FOOTBALL FLYERS!!!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Lieutenant General

Opening Drive

Great KO return by Gulick. Flyers driving. On the JU 21. Stalling.... Now on the 23. 3rd and 9.... FLO creamed on a blitz, hits TINO for the TD. Dayton 7 JU 0.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Lieutenant General

First Defensive Series

KO returned to the 50. 3rd and 10 for JU.... Blew it. First down pass for 17 yards.... 3rd and 1 for JU.... Big play for UD? Nope. Small runs for first down. Not looking good. JU at the 24. Vossler intercepts!!!!!!!!!!! Wow. Scott tips the ball and then intercepts.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Colonel

Woohoo!

INT by Scotty V.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Lieutenant General

Flo fumbles...

JU ball.... 3rd and 12 for JU. Defense holds. JU punting.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Lieutenant General

On Offense

3rd and 4 for UD.... Bad pass by Flo. UD to punt. 34 yard Glavin punt. JU on offense. 3rd and 7 for JU. UD blitzed, missed, big play for JU to the UD 35. Sack. 3rd and 16 for JU. Defense stepping up. End of 1st quarter. Dayton 7 Jacksonville 0. 4th and 16 for JU. JU to punt. Fair catch at the 16.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Lieutenant General

Ugly Series

Three and out after three bad passes......
Old 11-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Lieutenant General

Hosed on spot....

Even JU announcer cannot believe it. JU driving. At UD 34. Not looking good.... JU fleaflicker, picked off by C. Vossler in the endzone!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Lieutenant General

Glavin

51 or something like that punt, all in the air! JU 22 yard pass. Out of the hole. JU driving again. JU 1st down at the JU 44.... JU getting killed by penalities. Motion and holding. 2nd and 9 for JU. 3rd and 12 for JU. 4th and 5. JU to punt.

Another bad Flo pass.... His thumb must be acting up.... Now 3rd and 10. Offense looking terrible. Almost sacked. 4th and 10. 3 and out. Time for Pechan.

Punt to UD 45.... Too much pressure on the defence AGAIN.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:59 PM
1st Lieutenant

comebackkids0708 is a jewel in the roughcomebackkids0708 is a jewel in the roughcomebackkids0708 is a jewel in the rough
DF are you watching it on that Asuntv? I'm trying my hardest but everytime it opens up the screen gets distorted and they keep showing basketball highlights and it like covers the menu on the right so I have no idea what I'm selecting and can't sign in. Help me out if you can.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:12 PM
1st Lieutenant

comebackkids0708 is a jewel in the roughcomebackkids0708 is a jewel in the roughcomebackkids0708 is a jewel in the rough
Ok I got it to work. Not real great, it's clear but tiny picture. Oh well. I just heard the most homer statement or just retarded statment by these JU annoucers. After the JU INT that was called back because of a PI on JU the announcer says and I quote "Oh boy isn't that anybodys ball when it's in the air." "It will be Dayton's ball after a very suspcious call."

Good game so far, typical UD this year, great D. Offense will get 2 scores in the 2nd half, I have faith. But I agree with Coach Chamberlin, take the knee and get into the lockeroom with the lead, don't take any chances.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Lieutenant General

Halftime

Dayton 7 Jacksonville 0. Florian looking a bit shaky. Some very good passes, and maybe more not so good passes. Defense playing well, AGAIN. We are going to need much better production from the offense to win this game. It sure looks like we could run more. From what I have seen, Pechan would be tearing these guys apart. Some of the completions have been good catches....

Too close for comfort considering JU's potent offense. JU has made some really bad mistakes. It they clean up their act in the second half, and our offense continues to struggle, JU will win this game.

Suffice it to say, it will be a very interesting second half.

By the way, the JU announcer is actually pretty good.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by comebackkids0708 View Post
Ok I got it to work. Not real great, it's clear but tiny picture. Oh well. I just heard the most homer statement or just retarded statment by these JU annoucers. After the JU INT that was called back because of a PI on JU the announcer says and I quote "Oh boy isn't that anybodys ball when it's in the air." "It will be Dayton's ball after a very suspcious call."

Good game so far, typical UD this year, great D. Offense will get 2 scores in the 2nd half, I have faith. But I agree with Coach Chamberlin, take the knee and get into the lockeroom with the lead, don't take any chances.
You can hit the "full screen" button to get a bigger picture. Resolution is great when small, a bit blurry when large. Overall, the JU broadcast is a bit better than UD's. (No shots of fans, missing plays, etc.)

Come on Flyers, make it worth our $10.00!
Old 11-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Lieutenant General

Kind of slow here

Where are all the football fans for the championship game?
Old 11-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Lieutenant General

Notice how

the broadcast is from the visiting side, showing a fairly full home side? At UD, we choose to show the completely empty visiting side on the camera.... Maybe UD should charge $10.00 and improve the quality of the broadcast?

Word is that about 500 Flyers fans are in attendance! Wow!
Old 11-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Lieutenant General

Yet another bad Florian pass

JU intercepts in the endzone. BRING PECHAN IN!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Lieutenant General

Defense holds AGAIN

JU to punt. 4th and two.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Lieutenant General

Another

bad Florian pass. Almost caught by Nick....
Old 11-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Lieutenant General

Another

bad Flo pass, but Nick makes the catch anyway! First down Flyers!
Old 11-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Lieutenant General

Florian

sacked. We really need this offense to step up....
Old 11-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Lieutenant General

Starting to get

frustrating.... This offense is just not getting it done again.... Good play followed by some terrible plays.... About the only good thing is that the snaps have been very good today!

I really think that Jeff needs a series here. Our pass protection is OK, I really think he could give us a spark....
Old 11-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Lieutenant General

Well....

Flo to Collins for a 64 yard TD over the middle. Nice pass by Flo and a great catch and run by Nick!

Dayton 14 Jacksonville 0!

OK, so maybe I was wrong.... I know, hard to believe. Leave Flo in and get a spark. Now I remember why I am sitting here and not getting paid to coach the Flyers! LOL!!!!

Collins is having a career day!
Old 11-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Lieutenant General

By the way

The Flo to Nick TD was very similar to the TD that MSU got on the Flyers last weekend.... Much better when we are the team making the play!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Lieutenant General

JU Driving

defense on its heels. Need someone to make a play. 8 sec. left in 3rd qtr.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Lieutenant General

End of the third.

Dayton 14 Jacksonville 0.

But, JU is driving. Defense all of a sudden getting no pressure, JU completing passes at will. Need to crank it up guys.... If we tire in the 4th, it will be bad. JU scored something like four TD's against Drake last week, when Drake got tired.

Time to find out what our Flyers are made of....
Old 11-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Lieutenant General

We hold!

JU mistakes and the Dayton D combine to shut down the drive. JU turns the ball over on downs. I sure wish this game would end....
Old 11-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Lieutenant General

Well

FLO throws ANOTHER interception. JU first and goal on the one....
Old 11-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Lieutenant General

JU Scores

Dayton 14 Jacksonville 6. Kick no good! JU penalty after the first kick was good. Second attempt missed! As I said, JU mistakes are keeping the Flyers in the game.

Kind of heard the attendance announcement. Over 5K! That is a big time crowd at JU!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Lieutenant General

Nope

Interception Florian back on the field....
Old 11-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Lieutenant General

Injured Flyer....

Eric Studt from Bethel Park knee injury. Bummer!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Lieutenant General

Another

bad Florian pass.... How much more of this to we have to endure.... Then we commit a dead ball personal foul.

I am really losing my patience with this offense. One just has to ask, are we trying to win the game? Very frustrating.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Lieutenant General

Td ju

on the punt return. Blame the completely inept offense!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Lieutenant General

Slipping away

Dayton 14 Jacksonville 12
The way the offense is playing, this game is slipping away.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Lieutenant General

Trying to lose?

Florian still on the field. Throws ball away....
Old 11-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
logging in from tennessee, listening to whio

i'm with ya detroit flyer!!!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Lieutenant General

Now a sack

3rd and 20....

If we lose, not too hard to figure out why....

Another sorry performance by the offense AGAIN! Oh gee, incomplete pass on 3rd and 20....

Feels alot like the sorry performance in Dayton Saturday....

Frankly, I do not get it....
Old 11-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
i agree -- on the road with league title on the line -- let's go for broke!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

i checked JU's stadium on their website -- looks like a middle school field with metal bleachers

has to be a weird place to play -- GO FLYERS!

why is there no gametracker on daytonflyers.com? would be nice to have live stats.

HOLD THEM TO A FIELD GOAL!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Angry Squish the fish!

Old 11-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Lieutenant General

Going Down

With 6:45 to play, the Flyers sure look like they are going down. Defense looks tired. Offense is absolutely horrible.

JU is still playing with energy. Once again, it looks like they "want it" and the Flyers do not....

It sure feels like that unless the defense makes a huge play, this game is over.

3rd and 5 for JU on the Flyer 7.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

down 19-14, 5:00 to go -- we know what we need to do -- let's be positive!!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Lieutenant General

Td ju

Defense fooled by a reverse.

Not the defense's fault. This loss of the lead is squarely on the horrible offensive play.

Jacksonville 19 Dayton 14.

Even if we bring Jeff in now, he has been sitting all game.... I just do not get it. Two weeks in a row, we play to lose not play to win.

Pretty much going to take a miracle at this point....
Old 11-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Lieutenant General

Yet

another bad Florian pass. This is really getting hard to watch....
Old 11-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Lieutenant General

A good play

nice 20 yard pass to TINO!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

gain of 20, 1st down near midfield -- 4:38 to go!!!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

florian scrambles for 13 to JU 37 ...
Old 11-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

how ru watching the game, detflyer?
Old 11-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Lieutenant General

Well

Another bad pass.... I hope that FLO can somehow get it done....
Old 11-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

intercepted with 3:04 but 3 timeouts left -- ARRRGGHHH!

florian trying to force it too much
Old 11-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Lieutenant General

Well

the Flyers get EXACTLY what they deserve. Another horrible Florian pass gets intercepted.

Honestly Flyer fans, I just do not know what our coaching staff is thinking. This does not seem like rocket science to me.... Florian has been throwing horrible passes all day. He did make a few good throws, but when we have a kid like Jeff Pechan on the sideline and we choose to leave the interception machine in the game, what the heck to do expect?

Two weeks in a row....

As a fan, I just do not feel like the Flyers really played to win the past two weeks.... VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!

On to 2009. Too bad, I really do not think it needed to end like this....
Old 11-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Lieutenant General

With great pain!

Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
how ru watching the game, detflyer?
Actually, JU is video streaming the game for $10.00. Not getting my money's worth so far....

1:56 left. Neither team has a TO left. JU, 3rd and 3 on the 35.

The defense has to hold if we have a prayer. Still asking alot of the defense, just like we have all year....
Old 11-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Lieutenant General

We hold

one last chance. Do we put in the hands of the injured, interception machine or give ourselve a chance to win?
Old 11-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer View Post
Actually, JU is video streaming the game for $10.00. Not getting my money's worth so far....

1:56 left. Neither team has a TO left. JU, 3rd and 3 on the 35.

The defense has to hold if we have a prayer. Still asking alot of the defense, just like we have all year....
OK gotcha -- dayton holds, 1:03 from own 28 -- aint over til it's over!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

forced another one, INT -- too little, too late.

good season -- hate to hand JU their first pioneer league title -- they earned it. we'll get em next year!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:56 PM
1st Lieutenant

FLORIDAFLYER
Have to agree DF

The offense has been the problem all year. Can't generate enough to win. Rob or no Rob, we just don't have enough offensive firepower. No running game and scrambling pass offense. In all three losses, if indead this turns out to be a loss, ths offense went dead and the defense gave up the lead late in the game in all three games. However it's not over and anything can happen. Threw an interception, lights out.we just didn't have the folks to repeat. Not a bad year, in fact given the personel, it was a rather good year. I predicted 9-3 and that looks like what it will be. However I thought the losses would be Fordham, SDU and Drake. Missed on all three. I am really supprised at the lack of offensive ability. Defense was good but being on the field almost all day gave up leads late. Congrats to the Dolphins. they earned it. Albany will probably be the favorite, but the Dolphins stand a better chance of winning the game than we would have. Just weren't quite good enough. Have no idea what next year will bring. We have a young QB but not a clue what else we have. Any insight into next year DF?

Last edited by FLORIDAFLYER; 11-22-2008 at 03:10 PM..
Old 11-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Lieutenant General

Wow, what a surprise

Florian throws another interception.... As I said earlier, we got exactly what we deserve. As a very passionate fan, I do not believe that our coaches gave this team an opportunity to win the game. Leaving Florian in was a mistake that is almost too big to quantify.

Jacksonville 19 Dayton 14.

Unless Jeff has some kind of injury that we do not know about, this loss, just like last week's loss is squarely on the staff.

Absolutely unreal....

It was obvious to this fan, that Florian was not even close to 100%. Pechan could have torn these guys up, and he is forced to stand on the sidelines and watch the offense flush the game.

You know, losing is never easy and I really do not like to lose. BUT, if you really believe that the team did everything possible to win and it just did not work out, you can almost live with it. Watching this team self destruct because of bad decisions two weeks in row, really puts a damper on what could have been a special season.

9-3 is not terrible. But we all know that this team was capable of so much more.

I just do not have much else to say, I'm very sad for the Flyers as a group. Tough way to end the season. Here is to hoping that the seniors enjoy the rest of the year, graduate and go on to enjoy life, and that the returning players regroup and come back with a renewed passion for excellence.

Hats off to JU! You can bet that I will be pulling for the Fins in the Gridiron Classic!
Old 11-22-2008, 03:13 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Christmas comes early!!!!!

Sorry JU we didn't have enough paper to gift wrap it but I believe you'll take the gift as is without hesitation.

I am afraid I will have to agree that these last two losses are squarely on the staff. Misread the mo of the game and left a less than 100% QB on the field, when a change of QB could also have changed the mo back.

Perhaps the staff can take this experience and grow from it. Yes it would be nice to have your 5th year senior win the game but that didn't happen and even from miles away we fans could see the outcome if no changes were made.

Good luck coach Chamberlin on a good season but one that this fan believes you let slip away. Hope you learn from it. All in all not a bad inaugural season but far less that what this team was capable of.

Congrats to JU, at least the trophies get a chance to tour the conference. UD is not the all dominant team now, others are catching up and the coaches need to be more cognizant of that fact.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:15 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
BTW two weeks in a row of blowing leads (and two touchdown leads at that) is not a good omen, hope it is not a sign of things to come with a change of staff.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Lieutenant General

Stand up guy....

I read the DDN writeup on yesterday's game. Zulli award winner Rob Florian stepped up and accepted blame for the loss. This kid will be sorely missed when he graduates! Nothing but class from FLO!

Now, let's be 1000% percent clear here. Rob Florian is not responsible for this loss. Loss #2 in a row, in my opinion, is clearly on the staff. The defense played its heart out AGAIN. The offensive line actually looked OK. Pass protection was generally good. The snaps were also mostly OK. Certainly, none went over Rob's head.... Nick Glavin had the best punt of his career. The staff, for reasons completely unknown to me did not put our Flyers in a position to win this game....

Our staff put Rob in a position that he should not have been in, period! Asking a kid with a broken thumb to throw precision passes down field against a very good and quick defense was simply unacceptable. We had a precision, down field passer standing on the sideline the entire game. I saw a bit of Jeff Pechan warming up on the video stream, and he sure looked OK to me. I just do not understand how you cannot put your team in the best possible position to win such an important game.... Jeff should have played some series when it was obvious that Rob's thumb WAS a factor and the offense needed a spark. Given the good pass protection, Jeff would have torn JU apart. Watching Rob just play his heart out trying to make plays that just were not going to happen was just not right. It was not right right for Rob, it was not right for the rest of the kids giving it all they had, it was not right for the 500 UD fans that attended the game, and it was not right for those of us that bleed red and blue for UD Football. Rob walks away feeling like he let the team down. Nope.

Rob, you played the game to the absolute best of your ability! Your heart was obvious to all who watched, including the JU fans who were very impressed with Rob's gutty effort! If blame is to be assigned here, look to the coaches who put you in a position that you should have never been asked to fulfill.

The Flyer Nation will forever be greatful for what you have given to UD over these past five years Rob! Hold your head high knowing that we are all proud of you and are thrilled that you chose to play for our Flyers! There is no doubt, young man, that you will be successful in whatever you choose to do with the rest of your life! I do not think that we have heard the last of one Mr. Rob Florian. Rob, you will make your mark on the world, and continue to make the Flyer Nation proud, just like you did as a QB for the Football Flyers!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (11-23-2008), Charlie B (11-23-2008), smitch425 (11-23-2008)
Old 11-23-2008, 12:03 PM
1st Lieutenant

FLORIDAFLYER
Rob gave it all he had

And why JP didn't play is a good question. However as an overall team the offense lacked the skills to be a champion. It seem all, or most of the skill sets were on defense. the lack of a credible running game hurt us all year. this not only reflected out running skills but also the play of the offensive line. At 5'9'' Rob was at a disadvantage in almost every game. rollouts helped but we did have a bunch of interceptions and generally the offense did not produce enough points. The defense played well however they played a lot and this had an effect in the 4th quarter of the last three games as we gave up leads in all three. I think overall we had a good season. We simply didn't have the horses to be champions. No disgrace in that. JP looks like he may have a good career at UD, but that remains to be seen. DF any feel for next year?
Old 11-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Froze in Florida

T'was not the trip envisioned in more ways than one. Never stepped onto the beach, just watched the surf from inside the ocean view room. Never stepped into either of the outdoor heated pools; just watched the steam rise from them. All the excitement centered around getting my group of mostly 70+ year olde seniors to the JU field and settled on the hillside. We had a great time and for 3 quarters, we held a lead.

I will be careful in my future to criticism Welcome Stadium. The poor JU fans don't have much and they offer visitors even less. I called it CYO type, something straight out of the 1930's. None of my group fell and for that we were thankful. The concession food was very good like in large cappuccino on a cool day! Or a barbecue sandwich!

We hung our signs and rang our cow bells. In the 4th quarter we must have tired because the boys on the bench motioned for us to continue...and we did to the end.

Hoping to hear somebody to compare the UD following to the largest ever; I can't say but it was a BIG crowd on the hillside benches. I tired just like our team because of hustling from one 10 yard line to the other for a photo. You see folks - you can't see much of the game from the visitors side like you can at Welcome and any other place in America that I've attended.

The JU team had speed in the backfield like we dream about. But for much of the game, our well-coached defense held their positions, got the cutbacks and reverses to hold them scoreless. The play of the game for me was their punt return for a TD. The far sideline was like a 12th man but it never came into play. That Dolphin ran like a streak in the surf along the edge and only 5'7" Nick Glavin stood in his way. Did you ever hear the term run-a-way freight train? That's what hit Glavin, head on, and he went heels over head and the train stopped in the end zone.

It was a fun experience to get Great Aunts & Uncles together to see the excitement that we Grandparents have experienced with this Flyer football team. We would have been happier with a win but sad if we never got to be there for the opportunity. Now we need that JU run-a-way train to start up again in Albany.
Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
slowiski56 (12-02-2008)