User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 02:12 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
London is the brand new member of the "flight club"

Awesome, wtg London! Use it on the court, but most imporantly hang onto the ball

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...8spinside.html
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
Awesome, wtg London! Use it on the court, but most imporantly hang onto the ball

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...8spinside.html
Big freakin deal.I wish they all jumped no higher than the guys that play at Butler,or Crighton,or Gonzaga.You know,guys,and teams,that actually understand fundamentals and the game of BB....
Old 10-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Colonel

Flyer1407 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Big freakin deal.I wish they all jumped no higher than the guys that play at Butler,or Crighton,or Gonzaga.You know,guys,and teams,that actually understand fundamentals and the game of BB....
Take it easy. Have you seen Pargo from Gonzaga? If he couldn't jump out of the gym he wouldn't be a great player. Athleticism is an important part of a lot of people's game, no one is dismissing fundamentals but if you took London's athleticism away he wouldn't be at a Div. II school.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,873 Times in 6,980 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Freakish athletic skills are only an asset if they help you do your job. While I love the dunk and hope to see hundreds this season, I fail to see how a 40" vertical is going to help London do what he's supposed to do; dish the ball, hit outside shots and make free throws.

Now when I see Chris Wright throwing backdoor alley-oops to London, I'll gladly change my mind.

Steve Nash has a vertical of 14" and it hasn't hurt his opportunities.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,181 Times in 578 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
While having a 40" vertical leap, I can't see this having a great impact on London's offensive game but defensively it may well be an asset. Without looking it up, I believe that London has pretty good rebounding stats. I remember him chasing down an opponent and slapping the layup attempt off the backboard. Of course, he originally turned the rock over to the opponent.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,569 Times in 5,077 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
A forty inch vertical isn't the end all of basketball talent but it helps London finish inside all the time. He out-hangs opponents under the hoop to get easy lay-ups. Also, it's not a bad thing for his patented block from behind on the fast break. He did that numerous times last year, and I saw him make the most amazing block on Dante Jackson this summer in the Deveroes league. Dante thought he had an easy lay-up on a break and London overtook him from behind and skied rim high for a massive swat out of bounds. It provoked a loud "Ooohhhh" from the crowd.

London looked stronger to me at the commercial taping, and he does appear to have improved his leaping. He was throwing down tomohawk jams with ease.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
playing in BG's system, when he asks guards to actively rebound, this can only be a good thing. clearly fundamentals are paramount, and we all hope London, and all the players, worked on them in the off season. However, that should not diminish the importance of athleticism. the fact that we have 4 (get that, four!) 40" leapers on the team speaks to a level of raw athleticism I'm not sure UD has ever had. And how many of us were screaming for fundamentals when London slammed it over that guy from Temple? that was fantastic.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:54 AM

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
speaking of freakish athletic abilities, Rollo please tell me your avatar has been photo-shopped!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:54 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bill McPeek View Post
I remember him chasing down an opponent and slapping the layup attempt off the backboard. Of course, he originally turned the rock over to the opponent.
A few times.....

If he can make a J I will be more impressed. While an increased vert doesn't amount to much of anything, unless you already have a well rounded game at the pg, it does amount to one thing that we all are forgetting, and you all know I have been a major LW critic......

The initiative to work hard in the off season is why he showed increases. I, for one, believe this is more important than anything. He didn't just wake up mid summer and walk out of bed with an increased vert. When you have a kid that works hard in the off season, it obviously makes him better, but that work ethic rubs off on the other kids that are "moldable" as underclassmen. Say what you want about JB, the kid worked hard, and that's why I appreciated him. These types of efforts are what may determine whether we end up with another round of mediocrity, or the reasons why the tables will turn.

I am going to keep eating happy pills until proven otherwise. Let's hope Saturday we get a taste of the good things to come.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,181 Times in 578 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
A few times.....

If he can make a J I will be more impressed. While an increased vert doesn't amount to much of anything, unless you already have a well rounded game at the pg, it does amount to one thing that we all are forgetting, and you all know I have been a major LW critic......

The initiative to work hard in the off season is why he showed increases. I, for one, believe this is more important than anything. He didn't just wake up mid summer and walk out of bed with an increased vert. When you have a kid that works hard in the off season, it obviously makes him better, but that work ethic rubs off on the other kids that are "moldable" as underclassmen. Say what you want about JB, the kid worked hard, and that's why I appreciated him. These types of efforts are what may determine whether we end up with another round of mediocrity, or the reasons why the tables will turn.

I am going to keep eating happy pills until proven otherwise. Let's hope Saturday we get a taste of the good things to come.
Very well put.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Captain

Browns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to behold
His vertical leap mixed with his speed is the only offense he has. It helps him finish at the rim. For some players it might not make a difference but for a below average shooter who makes his money scoring on drives to the whole it is very important.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:54 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
It's amazing how everything is bad news to some people.

LW has many parts of his game to work on. We can't measure his FT shooting yet because the season hasn't started. If the first number of his FT% is the same as the first number of his vertical then yes I'll continue to be disappointed with his shooting. But as an isolated reference point, I'm glad he's continuing to work hard on his body.

I remember when David Morris was here and he seemed to get slower and less athletic every year.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Agree with you there Gazoo, LW deserves some kudos for his accomplishment. If he has been working that hard on strength, he must have some other improvements. He is entering the season as an upperclassmen. The fact that he has been able to contribute as an underclassmen is also a bonus.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:12 AM

Thanked 15,873 Times in 6,980 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
It's amazing how everything is bad news to some people.

LW has many parts of his game to work on. We can't measure his FT shooting yet because the season hasn't started. If the first number of his FT% is the same as the first number of his vertical then yes I'll continue to be disappointed with his shooting. But as an isolated reference point, I'm glad he's continuing to work hard on his body.

I remember when David Morris was here and he seemed to get slower and less athletic every year.
Let me say this: London is my favorite player with Wright a distant second. I want to see him play 30 minutes, score 8 pts and have 5 assists per games. Or more.

But his free throw shooting is ungodly to the point that even shooting 1000 per day all off-season may only improve his % by 5-8%.

And here's my promise: If London shoots >75% from the free throw line this season, I'll stop taking steroids.

So let it be written. So let it be done.

Rollo
Old 10-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
I am not being negative but we are always hearing the great athletes that UD is getting but witnessing the same failures year after year.I don't believe anyone posting here can argue that.My point is that we need shoooters and ball movement on this team and have lacked that for years.
While the dunks get the chicks,they aslso bring on the losses.What I want to see is CL use his left hand a bit better to get to the rim.I want to see CL shoot a consistent FT.I want to see CL have better footwork guarding out on the perimeter.
I want to see LW learn to dribble better.Learn to shoot better off his fingertips.Have ball control with good footwork.
I want to see CW face up and hit the 15-17 footer,but,moreso,I want Gregory to allow CW to do this.

We should not get ourselves in a flabergasted state of mind here because,and I hope I am DEAD wrong,soon enough we will see all the threads about "why can't we be like Butler" or "why is this team so fundamentally sad".

I will be there saturday as well as to most home games,and I will root these Flyers on,but I want and need to be convinced and I hope it starts this saturday.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:51 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry I posted this

it sounded like everyone got mad that I was happy about it. I think this is an excellent accomplishment for London.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Major General

it sounded like everyone got mad that I was happy about it. I think this is an excellent accomplishment for London.
No,not at all.Sorry if it happened that way as you were just reporting.I just don't want this to be their MO this year and watching these guys go haywire in lay up drills,etc.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:25 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
It is an accomplishment, and it is something that is a good PR tool. It's fun, fans and kids like it, etc.

Gazoo....I don't think that this new is being translated into bad news, because it isn't. Many fans don't forget things in the off season, which means they have views and opinions based on the past. Many followers would rather see a jumper and a free throw stroke before anything. With his quickness, speed, and increased vert comes better penetration ability in the middle, we can all agree to that. Unfortunately, many times a smaller guy is going to get fouled in the paint. So, we have the means to get to the rack, but without a FT stroke, those tools are useless on the O end. I don't care who you are. Your average college PG doesn't need to be in the mix with the trees. Explosiveness to get to the rack on a break or beating the D down the court is great, but unless you have an out of position PG (ie BR) that has some size, the pygmies need to know their role in the half court. If three 6'8'' and up defenders are already sitting close to the block, there is no need and most often times the result isn't positive for the O, especially with a non-FT shooting threat as the penetrator.

I spoke with a UD player at a football game. We talked about Lowery and LW. When talking about the comparisons he stated, "Lowery is like LW with a shot." That says a bunch about Lowery, but it also says that LW still has some ground to make up with his J.

While any progress is a positive, a few inches of vert, a few pounds of muscle here, and an increased bench here, they don't amount to a hill of beans unless the tools in the bag are utilized as they need be.

We are all excited for the upcoming season, but past views and experiences don't go away easily just because a summer went by. AS wasn't off of my hot seat going into last year, and it took some major convincing from his better performances to change that. I think most followers are the same way. Given the amount of competition from the new talent, I think some fires may have been lit under some guys rears that is only going to translate to better practice competition and better game competition.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:46 PM

Thanked 6,617 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
I find it interesting that 6 or 7 years ago some were complaining that our players were not athletic enough and now that we have great athletes some are complaining that they don't know the fundamentals, aren't good enough shooters, don't move the ball well enough, etc, etc. First of all, if CW had not gotten injured last year we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion - we would have gone to the NCAA and probably won a game (or 2). Let's not forget we were ranked 14th in the country (our highest ranking since 1967) before he got injured. Also, most players that "have it all" go to North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, etc. But BG is trying to change that, and is doing a very good job at it.