Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
Paul Williams hurt

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...8spinside.html.

Hopefully he's ready to start the season. It can't be good for a freshman to miss over six weeks of Summer/Fall workouts and the first week of practice.
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold
This team seems to have a lot of foot injuries. Do you think there is a problem with the shoes that they are wearing? When I played basketball in high school, a bunch of us developed ankle problems when the team started wearing a certain model of shoe. Our coach made us return them and switch to a different model a few games into the season and that seemed to correct the problem.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
that would be confounding if it's the shoes -- surely the trainers and medical staff have explored that. hopefully just a string of unrelated coincidences.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Major

UDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gilchrist's Autograph 2 View Post
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...8spinside.html.

Hopefully he's ready to start the season. It can't be good for a freshman to miss over six weeks of Summer/Fall workouts and the first week of practice.
As long as he is healthy for the first game against Wofford, I'm fine!
Old 10-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Major

UDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these parts
Why do you have to make it sound like hes down for a while? The word hurt shouldnt be used for his injury. more like a slight injury and he will be ready for opening week. That sound about right
!
Old 10-16-2008, 06:06 AM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by UDF4N4LIF3 View Post
Why do you have to make it sound like hes down for a while? The word hurt shouldnt be used for his injury. more like a slight injury and he will be ready for opening week. That sound about right
!
Thanks Dr.for the update.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Captain

hUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these parts
!

Being out of practice has to affect his conditioning. Being healthy for game 1 isn't the same as being "game condition" ready. I think his stamina and lack of practice with the team is going to set him back alot. When will these things stop? Does BG have a black cloud over him?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:13 AM
1st Lieutenant

bosoxrule is an unknown quantity at this point
!
It's naive to be so optimistic. I know Chris Wright's injury was different, but it took him longer to come back then originally projected. Hopefully he gets fully healed before coming back and this does not become a season-long ordeal. As we all learned, its better to be hot near the end of the season rather than at the beginning.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
The more practice he misses the more we have to scale back the expectation level in the non conference schedule for his contributions. When Charles Little was a freshman he had an ankle injury that caused him to miss most of the preseason practices and as a results fell behind but did emerge later in the season during conference play.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Major

FlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really nice
"....When will these things stop? Does BG have a black cloud over him?"

Leave it to hUDy grad to infer blame on BG. BG does not have a black cloud over him. If he had, we wouldn't have the incredible athletes we have. Instead, he would be coaching at Northern Ohio or Capital right now.

Injuries are part of the game. Going down for a couple weeks, especially in preseason, is not that big of a deal.

When seeing a hUDy grad post, my eyes now automatically go down to the inevitable slight or putdown of BG or the program. There are more than 330 Division I basketball teams. Our is in the top 15 percent. It will remain in the top 15 percent with BG at the helm.

This is going to be a great year, one of our best in a long time. Enjoy it. Having PWill down early will only give others more playing time, which is not a bad thing. PWill will come back and be ready in time for the A10.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
Let's not forget...

Originally Posted by hUDygrad View Post
Being out of practice has to affect his conditioning. Being healthy for game 1 isn't the same as being "game condition" ready. I think his stamina and lack of practice with the team is going to set him back alot.
Originally Posted by Furio View Post
The more practice he misses the more we have to scale back the expectation level in the non conference schedule for his contributions.
When Chris got hurt last year he went through some serious training regiments even though he couldn't actually play ball. I am sure PW isn't just sittin' around eatin' Cheetos and watchin' tv. The trainers will have him in game ready shape as far as stamina. However it may take him a bit to get his shooting back to normal, but even CW was shooting 100 free throws a day and his injury was worse than this one. BG knows what to do to keep an injured player game ready. The article said he's been injured for 6 weeks and maybe only needs one more week to be back to par. This is no big deal IMHO.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Smitch for a freshman to miss preseason practice is a much bigger deal than just staying in shape. He has to learn BG system of playing defense. We saw this with Charles Little in his freshman year who was lost out on the floor during the nonconference part of the schedule because he didn't know what to do out there on an instictive level.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree

I am not saying it isn't valuable time lost. Just saying that he will be in shape and be able to handle any playing time on a strength level. He will need to play catch up on logistics of team play, but let's not forget that his eyes are still working. If he pays attention to what others are doing in practice then that will help him once he can fully participate. Not to disrespect Little, but he seems to have a carefree attitude at times ( ie walking around repeatedly on his bad foot last year intead of using the crutches that he was carrying in his hands). Not sure if Little was very focused his freshman year, but who know PW might not be either. I guess it's just a waiting game to find out when and what he can do.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Captain

hUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by FlyerYouBetcha View Post

Leave it to hUDy grad to infer blame on BG. BG does not have a black cloud over him. If he had, we wouldn't have the incredible athletes we have. Instead, he would be coaching at Northern Ohio or Capital right now.

Injuries are part of the game. Going down for a couple weeks, especially in preseason, is not that big of a deal.

When seeing a hUDy grad post, my eyes now automatically go down to the inevitable slight or putdown of BG or the program. There are more than 330 Division I basketball teams. Our is in the top 15 percent. It will remain in the top 15 percent with BG at the helm.

This is going to be a great year, one of our best in a long time. Enjoy it. Having PWill down early will only give others more playing time, which is not a bad thing. PWill will come back and be ready in time for the A10.
Nice stretch. You guys need to lighten up. Obviously injuries happen but it seems that we have been hit by some at the wrong time lately. I still don't see how you could possibly infer that I was taking a dig at BG but knock yourself out. I do think it's a pretty big deal though because the start of your freshmen year is when you learn a coaches system and acclaimate yourself to your team. Like they say in football- being in shape and being in football shape are 2 different animals. If he is missing practices, I think it's going to set him back more than people want to admit.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
I am not saying it isn't valuable time lost. Just saying that he will be in shape and be able to handle any playing time on a strength level.:
I too want to believe that. But history tells us that seldom does workout training for an extended period put an athlete in game shape. It's a foot problem. Whatever it is, he can't train like he should, can't take reps on the floor for any duration.

Of course individuals heal and train differently, but the first couple of games back a b-ball player just doesn't have it. Especially on defense.

Also, I have to believe the brain-trust would take no chances of a recurrance with a promising Freshman, conditioning aside.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Colonel

The good news is...

We will be playing 2 exh. games and really no major competiion until Chicago. He should be up and running by then with hopefully a few games at full strength. I think it is safe to say that Coach and his staff would never risk a player's health. If they ever would have it would have been last year when Chris was so desperately needed. PW will get the best care possible and he will get all the recovery time he needs.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Major

Either way Paul Williams will be ready against Wofford!

As long as we have no injuries this season, IMO Dayton is the best team in the Conference. Once we see our PG play good, then we will know where our season is going.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Foot Injuries?

I share the concern that Flyer players have a high number of foot injuries. Shoes?
Weight training? Stress fractures? I realiize the feet and ankles take a pounding in basketball but UD must lead the A-10 in foot problems.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Colonel

lilrudy4787 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
I share the concern that Flyer players have a high number of foot injuries. Shoes?
Weight training? Stress fractures? I realiize the feet and ankles take a pounding in basketball but UD must lead the A-10 in foot problems.
i agree, i dont know if this could be coincidence, but foot injuries are just not so common like this....there is a huge list of variables that could cause it and we will never know which one did it. Buttt our players better be putting some extra dr. scholls pads in their shoes from now on. Hopefully the ones with the gel in them
Old 10-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
Given the way Wright, Little and MJ etal sky. Could it be one of the bad side effects of putting flubber in the shoes?
Old 10-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Either way Paul Williams will be ready against Wofford!

As long as we have no injuries this season, IMO Dayton is the best team in the Conference. Once we see our PG play good, then we will know where our season is going.
Afraid I have to disagree wit ya on good PG play..........I hope i'm wrong but there is nothing to lead me too believe that will happen.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Captain

SideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerYouBetcha View Post

Thank you. You only need to check hUDygrads history to know where he is coming from.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:27 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
Given the way Wright, Little and MJ etal sky. Could it be one of the bad side effects of putting flubber in the shoes?
I think there is more to that theory than just a chuckle. Binnie, Plummer, KW, and a raft of former Flyers in the "pre-dunker" recruiting days couldn't get a dollar bill between their shoe and the floor when they skied. Look at our roster and soak up how many high-flyers we have now.

If we were able to measure foot injuries like the airlines measure accidents (per # of air miles), maybe the number of ankle/foot injuries would not be alarming. Something like "injuries per foot of vertical leap". We now have many more opportunities for foot injuries than we ever had before.

Still in all, if you are the one in the airplane accident or the bad foot, the stat isn't too consoling.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:30 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bosoxrule View Post
It's naive to be so optimistic. I know Chris Wright's injury was different, but it took him longer to come back then originally projected. Hopefully he gets fully healed before coming back and this does not become a season-long ordeal. As we all learned, its better to be hot near the end of the season rather than at the beginning.
yeah really!

like i care if Paul williams is up and ready for Wofford. if we don't have enough horses without him for the first 3 or 4 games, we're in for a LONG season
Old 10-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Major

Originally Posted by steve View Post
Afraid I have to disagree wit ya on good PG play..........I hope i'm wrong but there is nothing to lead me too believe that will happen.
Why? You haven't even watched them play this season. For all we know Warren could have developed a mid range game. who knows? Lowery could be very special. I think Warren will be JUST FINE!
Old 10-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Why? You haven't even watched them play this season. For all we know Warren could have developed a mid range game. who knows? Lowery could be very special. I think Warren will be JUST FINE!
Doesn't matter.I know what I've seen and this kid is not the answer for 25-30 minutes a game.Isn't it more reliable to know what what you've seen versus assuming??Lowery
is still a JUCO that played in a fast paced style.Jury still out.
It would be a miracle if LW ,based on hs autrocious shooting last year,is even considered a below-average shooter this year,which would be a huge improvement.
We will know a whole bunch more next few weeks and I hope you are correct.I'll gladly eat crow.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Major

singlet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by lilrudy4787 View Post
i agree, i dont know if this could be coincidence, but foot injuries are just not so common like this....there is a huge list of variables that could cause it and we will never know which one did it. Buttt our players better be putting some extra dr. scholls pads in their shoes from now on. Hopefully the ones with the gel in them
Maybe it is the conditioning? Working the kids too hard? BG is known to run a pretty brutal training program/regime. I assume Izzo does as well. This could also be a partial explanation for the consistent late season fades we have seem almost every year during BG's tenure - the kids are just worn out.

Obviously that is a fine balance - the guys need to be in top notch shape but you don't want to wear them out to the point of injury/burn out. I know that runners always train to hit their peek at certain times. You would think there would be some parallels.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
I would just hate to see a freshman miss the start of the training season. Not good in my book even if they are back for the start of the season. Remember when BRob missed the early season workouts and practices his freshman year? Took a little time to get going.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by steve View Post
Doesn't matter.I know what I've seen and this kid is not the answer for 25-30 minutes a game.Isn't it more reliable to know what what you've seen versus assuming??Lowery
is still a JUCO that played in a fast paced style.Jury still out.
It would be a miracle if LW ,based on hs autrocious shooting last year,is even considered a below-average shooter this year,which would be a huge improvement.
We will know a whole bunch more next few weeks and I hope you are correct.I'll gladly eat crow.
Can't argue with eyewitness reports but I do hope the two of them make major progress.
As far as London's shooting, 44% isn't hateful. Ok I know his form is alarming to many, but all we need from the pg is for the opposition to respect his ability to shoot and drive.
He will have more shooters than ever before this season, so he just needs to take care of the ball, dish and play defense. Not insurmountable. I think you would agree that a lot of serviceable pg's don't ave double digits.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
Thank you. You only need to check hUDygrads history to know where he is coming from.
I have an internet stalker. Nice. Go back to my very first posts and you can see where I come from too.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
He will have more shooters than ever before this season
WHile i agree with your post as a whole, what shooters are we talking about here? We lost three of our best 4 shooters from last year including the best shooter ever to don the uniform. At least in the starting lineup, we team lacks shooters. If he had BR and, say, Brooks Hall on the wings i wouldnt care at all if he could shoot...but with marcus and wright...not so much.

That said, I think london can overcome this by creating easy hoops for himself and his teammates with his fast pace and defense. His style will obviously lead to mistakes, but I can live with mistakes if he is making considerably more good plays than bad....and i think he will.

Side note..i think the ankle injury/Izzo/gregory argument has some validity. they are known to run grueling practices. I dont have the time, but i would be interested to know whether it has been a problem for the other izzo disciples (crean, i think stan heath?)
Old 10-16-2008, 09:15 PM

Here's my rationale, respectfully.

Originally Posted by daytonflyers View Post
WHile i agree with your post as a whole, what shooters are we talking about here? We lost three of our best 4 shooters from last year including the best shooter ever to don the uniform)
Ok, I got the Brian Roberts part, total agreement there. But who do you consider other than BR that will be missed? Andres at 41/30/58 or Jimmy at 41/35/54??

Seriously, did I overlook someone? If we can't replace those shooters from a pool of much improved Perry, Marcus, PW, Fabrizius, Lowery, CW we can pack it in for the year.

Nobody rooted harder nor supported JB more than I did (ok BB33 ). But lets face it he could not provide a threat from outside (or inside for that matter) on a consistent basis.

As a whole we should EXPECT much better perimeter shooting from this cadre in 2008/9.
And I think London should expect it also. In fact if he is to lead as BG indicates, he should be challenging them now. No slacking allowed.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:43 PM
1st Lieutenant

FLORIDAFLYER
If memory serves...

we did not fade last year but finished rather strongly. Middle of the year wasn't any thing to write home about but that had little to do with coaching and more to do with injury and illness. Wether PW is 100% at the start of the season is not really that important. We are deep and he will have the first part of the OCC to work on getting in game shape. Better if he had not been injured but he was.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
SD---im with you. binnie was not a great shooter, nor was sandoval. but they were at least [I]shooters[I]. the other team knew they were going to shoot if they were open. with our current wings, everyone knows they would rather attack the basket--they dont think shoot first.

i think that changes the way they are guarded especially when you know if you dont sag off those guys will blow right past you. that clogs the lane even more for london. not to mention, losing BR is like losing 3 great shooters by himself.

i hope williams and perry can add some shooters off the bench. but we dont really know yet. we know they can shoot, but they arent part of our core group. we will have wright and johnson for most of the time, as we should. i guess we might see them more if we go 3 guards a lot of the time.

Last edited by daytonflyers; 10-17-2008 at 08:04 AM..
Old 10-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by daytonflyers View Post
Side note..i think the ankle injury/Izzo/gregory argument has some validity. they are known to run grueling practices. I dont have the time, but i would be interested to know whether it has been a problem for the other izzo disciples (crean, i think stan heath?)
If the injuries were soft tissue injuries you might have a point but I seriously doubt that broken bones are the result of grueling practices. Now vicious practices perhaps.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,618 Times in 5,097 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Binnie and Sandoval may have had average 3pt percentages last year, but hitting just 30% from 3pt range is like hitting 50% from 2pt range. Therefore, any team willing to leave them alone on the perimeter is just dumb. 30% + shooters on the perimeter should be tightly guarded.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
Besides, marcus was displaying a great percentage down the stretch last year. Something like 12 of his last 16 or something? I don't remember the stat. But his outside shot improved by leaps and bounds last year. That will make him very tough to guard this year if he uses all his weapons well. I agree we don't have a surplus of proven shooters, but there's an awful lot of potential on this team that gives me reason to believe we'll hit some outside shots. Between perry, fabrizius, johnson, marcus, lowry, williams and even CW, we will be hitting some threes. That's 7 people that have a green light from three (presumably). I would hope that (conservatively) 2 or three of them prove they can knock it down.

PG continues to be my biggest worry. And injuries of course. CW looks like an NBA guy playing with high school kids. I think he's going to have a monster year if he stays healthy. I like hearing that he worked on his ballhandling and his patience. It tells me he was watching his own film, seeing his weaknesses, and listening to his coaches. I can't wait for the season to start.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Colonel

I hate to play devils advocate...because i love marcus and it is clear that his shot has improved considerably, but...

Those shots he made last year were wide open because he had built a reputation as a guy who wasnt much of a shooter. This year, he will be considered maybe our best long range shooter--teams arent going to ignore him from out there.

his release is not very quick and i have almost never see him take 3s off the dribble or coming quickly around curls. This year, he is going to have to develop this because he isnt going to get many clean looks at the hoop where he can check the wind before firing.

That said, I think he WILL develop this ability and be an absolute stud of a two-guard. But that is my only worry--i think its the last thing he needs to add to his game.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:20 PM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
Between perry, fabrizius, johnson, marcus, lowry, williams and even CW, we will be hitting some threes. That's 7 people that have a green light from three (presumably). I would hope that (conservatively) 2 or three of them prove they can knock it down.
A few years ago we had a couple stud freshmen with sweet strokes, BR / TM / JB, along with a returning senior set for a breakout season in Mark Jones. Plus we had Monty Scott's great shooting ability and Marques Bennett / Logan White / Warren Williams looking to show off their great offseasons. Out of those 8 surely we had 4-5 shooters. Turns out we had 2-3, including a freshman PG who was too erratic with the ball.

The next year we had WW looking to prove himself in his senior season, along with LW / MB / and of course MS who was going to show us that he was the best player in the A-10. BR was back and JB was ready to really break out his outside skills. Even CA had shown some range in his freshman year. Surely out of those 7 we could find 3-4 shooters. We had 2. The same 2.

The year after we had BR along with a transfer PG named Sandoval we were very high on, along with a senior Monty Scott with something to prove and a stud freshman shooting guard named Johnson; and let's not forget a junior JB with something to prove. We had at least 3-4 shooters. Turns out we had 1.5.

I remember thinking last year that we had BR, a much improved AS, JB, MP, and a freshman named Thomas who could stroke it. We had at least 2 shooters. Turned out we had 1.5.

This year we have 2 stud shooting guards in freshmen Williams and Johnson, along with a pure shooter named Fabrizius. We have a transfer who's had an offseason to adjust and is ready to prove himself in MP, and a JUCO transfer who's proven himself to a good shooter against JUCO competition in Lowry. Stephen Thomas has had a season to get his feet under him and now he's ready to be a shooter. MJ has worked hard on his outside shooting in the offseason and will lead the team, along with super-stud CW. Out of those 8, surely we have 3-4 who can stroke it for us this year.

Over / under is hereby set at 2.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Brigadier General

Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
Gazoo, good post. And i'm not normally one to count chickens before they're hatched. But even 2 shooters is an improvement over what we had for most of last year. I'm not even banking on 4. I'm hoping, praying for three guys who can knock it down from out there. One is MJ. The other two spots are open auditions.

And daytonflyers, regarding marcus being more tightly guarded this year, i think that can actually only benefit us---provided marcus is smart enough to put the ball on the floor and drive when that happens. Getting a defender on his hip and heading to the hole is a pure positive for us that can either lead to a bucket, a foul, a putback by CL or CW, or a kickout to another shooter who may need that extra bit of time for the release. (Who that shooter will be remains to be seen.) But i think if we can get drives to the basket as a result of people guarding MJ tighter on the perimeter, all the better. What i worry about more is just the pure packing it in defenses, and if our guys will hit the 'dare you to shoot' type of shots that are more mental than anything else. I feel like if our offense has flow, and people are driving and passing, those 3's become easier to knock down. Sometimes the wide opened ones seem to be the hardest for this team to knock down. (JB, AS)
Old 10-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Major

Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
Gazoo, good post. And i'm not normally one to count chickens before they're hatched. But even 2 shooters is an improvement over what we had for most of last year. I'm not even banking on 4. I'm hoping, praying for three guys who can knock it down from out there. One is MJ. The other two spots are open auditions.

And daytonflyers, regarding marcus being more tightly guarded this year, i think that can actually only benefit us---provided marcus is smart enough to put the ball on the floor and drive when that happens. Getting a defender on his hip and heading to the hole is a pure positive for us that can either lead to a bucket, a foul, a putback by CL or CW, or a kickout to another shooter who may need that extra bit of time for the release. (Who that shooter will be remains to be seen.) But i think if we can get drives to the basket as a result of people guarding MJ tighter on the perimeter, all the better. What i worry about more is just the pure packing it in defenses, and if our guys will hit the 'dare you to shoot' type of shots that are more mental than anything else. I feel like if our offense has flow, and people are driving and passing, those 3's become easier to knock down. Sometimes the wide opened ones seem to be the hardest for this team to knock down. (JB, AS)
Here is a list of names who we can dish it out to for Three.

Marcus Johnson, Mickey Perry, Paul Williams, Rob Lowery, Chris Johnson, Luke Fabrizius,

Rated out of 5 this is how I would list their 3pt shots.

M.J-3-5

Perry-4-5

Williams-3-5

Lowery-2-5

C.J-3-5

Fabrizius- Not enough info, but if I had to go by info only I would say 4-5
Old 10-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Colonel

Good points 95. i didnt think of that. the beauty of marcus' game is that crowding him is only going to hurt you...especially if he has an improved J.

Last edited by daytonflyers; 10-17-2008 at 03:52 PM..
Old 10-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Commander in Chief

Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
A few years ago we had a couple stud freshmen with sweet strokes, BR / TM / JB, along with a returning senior set for a breakout season in Mark Jones. Plus we had Monty Scott's great shooting ability and Marques Bennett / Logan White / Warren Williams looking to show off their great offseasons. Out of those 8 surely we had 4-5 shooters. Turns out we had 2-3, including a freshman PG who was too erratic with the ball.

The next year we had WW looking to prove himself in his senior season, along with LW / MB / and of course MS who was going to show us that he was the best player in the A-10. BR was back and JB was ready to really break out his outside skills. Even CA had shown some range in his freshman year. Surely out of those 7 we could find 3-4 shooters. We had 2. The same 2.

The year after we had BR along with a transfer PG named Sandoval we were very high on, along with a senior Monty Scott with something to prove and a stud freshman shooting guard named Johnson; and let's not forget a junior JB with something to prove. We had at least 3-4 shooters. Turns out we had 1.5.

I remember thinking last year that we had BR, a much improved AS, JB, MP, and a freshman named Thomas who could stroke it. We had at least 2 shooters. Turned out we had 1.5.

This year we have 2 stud shooting guards in freshmen Williams and Johnson, along with a pure shooter named Fabrizius. We have a transfer who's had an offseason to adjust and is ready to prove himself in MP, and a JUCO transfer who's proven himself to a good shooter against JUCO competition in Lowry. Stephen Thomas has had a season to get his feet under him and now he's ready to be a shooter. MJ has worked hard on his outside shooting in the offseason and will lead the team, along with super-stud CW. Out of those 8, surely we have 3-4 who can stroke it for us this year.

Over / under is hereby set at 2.
The BRob, TM, Monty Scott trio was a nice bunch from 3pt territory. Which one was not a 3pt threat in your estimation that year? Weren't the Flyers the leading 3pt % team in the A10 three years ago? We even had a good team % last year, led by BRob, of course. The offense looked fine to me with whoever the 1.5 shooters were when we had Little and Wright in the mix. The Flyers have been very selective 3 pt shooters over the BG years, not taking a large volume of 3pt shots.

And teams guarding Marcus closely on the perimter is a good thing. It opens up the floor for our front line and puts him in a position to drive around his defender to the hoop, resulting in more foul line time. If they lay off of him, he has shown he can knock them down.

Last edited by Fudd; 10-17-2008 at 04:05 PM..
Old 10-17-2008, 04:33 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Here is a list of names who we can dish it out to for Three.

Marcus Johnson, Mickey Perry, Paul Williams, Rob Lowery, Chris Johnson, Luke Fabrizius,

Rated out of 5 this is how I would list their 3pt shots.

M.J-3-5

Perry-4-5

Williams-3-5

Lowery-2-5

C.J-3-5

Fabrizius- Not enough info, but if I had to go by info only I would say 4-5
If you added CW to that list, you would have a collective career experience of 33 made 3 pointers.

BJ Raymond made 38. Last year.

Jimmy Baron made 99. And 97 the year before that.

Tasheed Carr made 30.

Kevin Lisch made more than 55 for the past 3 years in a row.

I could go on. I'm not saying that every team has more proven shooting than us, just the vast majority of the good ones.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:45 PM
General

Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
The BRob, TM, Monty Scott trio was a nice bunch from 3pt territory. Which one was not a 3pt threat in your estimation that year?
I said "2-3" that year. TM was erratic on the floor and hurt himself and his ability to get more shots because of it. And Monty was reluctanct to shoot.

The offense looked fine to me with whoever the 1.5 shooters were when we had Little and Wright in the mix.
JB was the 0.5. Shooting only 50% of the time when wide open does not really make a shooter in my mind.

Wright covered up a lot of our problems through sheer athleticism.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:13 PM

And teams guarding Marcus closely on the perimter is a good thing. It opens up the floor for our front line and puts him in a position to drive around his defender to the hoop, resulting in more foul line time. If they lay off of him, he has shown he can knock them down.
So far this effort has been a little over-estimated in my opinion. Smart defensive teams are not giving us 2/3 dribbles to get around our man and get to the bucket. So far, Little, Marcus, Wright are not good for more than 2 dribbles with out a calamity. Hopefully that will change, but don't count on it.

If I get up on my shooter, it doesn't mean I'm going to take a head fake from a known leaper and get out of his way. I'm going to make him put it on the floor for 3/4 dribbles.

Gazoo, I like your 3 pt analysis, but I still put the over/under at 3 this year.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:22 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Whats interesting is that JB is lighting it up in Europe. He's dead on when there is little to no defense. We will have to see how these players fare with the defense in their faces.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

So far this effort has been a little over-estimated in my opinion. Smart defensive teams are not giving us 2/3 dribbles to get around our man and get to the bucket. So far, Little, Marcus, Wright are not good for more than 2 dribbles with out a calamity. Hopefully that will change, but don't count on it.

If I get up on my shooter, it doesn't mean I'm going to take a head fake from a known leaper and get out of his way. I'm going to make him put it on the floor for 3/4 dribbles.
Using this logic it would seem that Wright, Marcus and Little should get the ball in the 15 to 18 foot range not the 24 foot range. Therefore it would be much more important that they be accurate with their mid range jump shot not their three point shot. The mid range jump shot will force the defender to commit to stop that shot opening a small space for the two dribble drive.

Another issue is that starting a drive from the twenty some feet often gives time for the weakside defender to come to the aid of the primary defender and cut off the drive. This allows the primary defender to player tighter on the three point shot knowing he will have help if the player drives than he can with the 15 foot shot where he might not have any help should the player drive to the basket.

A corollary to this is that the point guard will have to be able to get them the ball on the inside rather than on the outside. This will call for more pinpoint passing than we have seen from the Flyers in the past several years. LW although erratic at times is the only Flyer I have seen who has made such passes.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Commander in Chief

So far, Little, Marcus, Wright are not good for more than 2 dribbles with out a calamity. Hopefully that will change, but don't count on it.
All of those guys are capable of driving to the bucket with the dribble from outside the 3pt line, IMO. I think Charles is actually a very good ball handler for his size. We used him as the guy who posts up at center court to break a zone press and he always impresses me with his ability to put the ball on the floor when he needs to. Marcus hardly ever coughs the ball up on the drive, and I can't recall CW being stripped either.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Major General

All of those guys are capable of driving to the bucket with the dribble from outside the 3pt line, IMO. I think Charles is actually a very good ball handler for his size. We used him as the guy who posts up at center court to break a zone press and he always impresses me with his ability to put the ball on the floor when he needs to. Marcus hardly ever coughs the ball up on the drive, and I can't recall CW being stripped either.
CL was okay with the ball but if you remember,he only went to his right.I notice alot of bad dribble drives by CL and bad shots due to this.The kid will be pretty unstoppable if he takes the ball to the rack more with his left.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Brigadier General

The thing that really needs to be worked on with this team is what happens AFTER you beat your guy off the dribble. Our other players need to cut to the hoop while the other team is rotating for help defense. If our slashers (MJ, CW, even CL) would look for the dish on their way to the hoop, we'd look like worldbeaters most the time. An east ally-oop to another slasher or an easy dish to KH on the inside. (not to mention someone spotting up for three on the outside).

Too often though, our players watch as one of their teammates drives to the hole. And then they go for a rebound. Or, we turn our backs to the ball in anticipation of the rebound. There are moments when the passing is really nice. (CL in the louisville game rings a bell with a few good looks under the hoop). But our instincts as a team to cut and pass are not that solid. I hope now that BR is gone, the players won't be caught standing around and watching as much.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
Using this logic it would seem that Wright, Marcus and Little should get the ball in the 15 to 18 foot range not the 24 foot range. Therefore it would be much more important that they be accurate with their mid range jump shot not their three point shot. The mid range jump shot will force the defender to commit to stop that shot opening a small space for the two dribble drive.

Another issue is that starting a drive from the twenty some feet often gives time for the weakside defender to come to the aid of the primary defender and cut off the drive. This allows the primary defender to player tighter on the three point shot knowing he will have help if the player drives than he can with the 15 foot shot where he might not have any help should the player drive to the basket.

A corollary to this is that the point guard will have to be able to get them the ball on the inside rather than on the outside. This will call for more pinpoint passing than we have seen from the Flyers in the past several years. LW although erratic at times is the only Flyer I have seen who has made such passes.
This makes a lot of sense and hopefully the coaches are way ahead of us. The reality of it is that the passer is one skill and the catcher in traffic at close range is also another. We have only flashed the whole "breakdown, penetrate, dish, catch and finish scenario in fits and stops in the past several years. Does it happen on occasion and treat us to what "could be"? Of course. Have we shown consistency in that scenario? No.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:00 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
This makes a lot of sense and hopefully the coaches are way ahead of us. The reality of it is that the passer is one skill and the catcher in traffic at close range is also another. We have only flashed the whole "breakdown, penetrate, dish, catch and finish scenario in fits and stops in the past several years. Does it happen on occasion and treat us to what "could be"? Of course. Have we shown consistency in that scenario? No.
two different skills, ones we ahven't seen alot of, but i think and certainly hope we might see more of.

ANd, if they catch and get stuck, will we actually see them kick it out to an open shooter. An open shooter who can drain it? There are many, many points to be gotten that way!.

Step right up .... Mr. Perry, Mr, Johnson (CJ), MJ, Paul W, etc.